Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

The broken bones posted:

nice. A Sports Night movie with a lot of goddamn inappropriate work space behavior.

Dear God let Sorkin bake me a Social Network II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

I don't know where else to put this but FOX has apparently bought the movie rights to Those Guys Have All the Fun.

So yes, they're going to make a movie about ESPN.

I hope there's some weird technicality like in the moneyball movie that leads to jonah hill playing a generic dan patrick equivalent.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

R.D. Mangles posted:

I hope there's some weird technicality like in the moneyball movie that leads to jonah hill playing a generic dan patrick equivalent.

I can't wait for the scene of Chris Berman banging an Applebees waitress.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Rick Reilly sucks now lol and everything but his recent column had some great stuff.

quote:

9:44 a.m. Big crisis.

A prominent NFC player is freaking out. The NFL has dropped off a urine-testing kit at his house when he's clearly not -- how shall we say this? -- ready.

Apparently, the end of the lockout came as a surprise to him. Schaffer talks him off the ledge.

"Hold on, hold on (blank). They can't do that. They haven't finished the language on drug testing yet in the CBA. They can't test you if it's not in the contract. This is still America, right?"

Schaffer calls the players' union to check. A union lawyer gets on the line and Schaffer gets the player on the line.

"OK, listen carefully, (blank). We need you to have somebody videotape you putting the entire thing -- the test tubes, the instructions, everything -- into a clear, sealed bag. Then FedEx it to me immediately. Got it?"

"OK, OK," the player says.

Then, just as a precaution, Schaffer says, "Read me the directions, will you?"

The directions are all about allowable levels of chlorine and bromine.

Turns out it was from the guy's pool cleaner.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Peter King has been going bonkers on twitter saying that John Beck is the answer for the Redskins for such reasons as:

RT @gamecocksfhb: You can't be buying into the Beck nonsense from Shanahan ... Brady. Warner. Hasselbeck. Romo. You never know is all I say.

RT @GonnaPhlyNow: None of those 30 when they became starters. John Beck will be ... None missed 3 NCAA seasons on Mormon mission. Beck did.

RT @wynnde13: All those QBs succeeded w/a shot. What did Beck do in Miami? ... Lord. He started 4 games when Mia was 0-10. In came Chad.

RT @JLevin28: Why is it not obvious to more people that the Redskins are tanking the season for Andrew Luck? ... Smoke reefer much?

So because Beck played limited time for one of the worst teams ever, and missed several years of college to be a missionary, he is clearly in the same class as Brady, Warner, Hasselbeck and Romo.

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6846531/tim-tebow-not-ready-prime-time

First goddamn paragraph, guess who

quote:

The irony is not lost on the city of Denver that John Elway is judging a QB controversy between Kyle Orton and Tim Tebow. This is like Heidi Klum judging a bikini contest at a fat farm.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

Dumb simile aside, Orton is pretty decent!

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.

BackInTheUSSR posted:

http://espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6846531/tim-tebow-not-ready-prime-time

First goddamn paragraph, guess who

That sounds like a Whitlock line

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I like that ESPN's editors seem just as burned out on Chad Johnson's antics as everyone else, but feel obligated to report on them:

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

I don't know if this giant iPad advertisement counts as "journalism" but it probably fits in this thread

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/mlb-tech-savvy-baseball-players-use-ipads-to-track-opponents-bloomberg-mlb-player-tool-081011

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

A bunch of interesting writers (and Tom Scharpling, for some reason) are trying to get a sports site in the vein of The Awl off the ground. There's a Kickstarter page here, if that's your thing.

The roster:

quote:

PETE BEATTY: Who is registered to vote in Brooklyn, NY, and edits books during the daytime hours, including Craig Robinson’s Flip Flop Fly Ball. He has written for GQ.com, the Chicago Tribune, Pitchfork.com, Time Out Chicago, and the Internet. He is the only Cleveland Indians fan you have ever met and has stated that he plans to have a string quartet play Double Nickels on the Dime at his wedding (he is single).

TOM BREIHAN: Who is a writer from Baltimore who lives in Virginia. He used to write the Village Voice's Status Ain't Hood blog and also used to work for Pitchfork. He's written, mostly about music but sometimes about pro wrestling, for GQ, Spin, Blender, the Chicago Reader, the Baltimore City Paper, and a bunch of other publications. He is taller than you, and his daughter will also be taller than you soon enough.

FREDORRARCI: Who is a writer from Ireland. He is the owner/operator of Sport Is A TV Show, and has contributed to Norman Einstein's Sports & Rocket Science Monthly and The Run of Play. He follows Arsenal, and will tut at anyone who tries to tell him that snooker is not a sport.

ERIC FREEMAN: Who is a writer from San Francisco, CA. He contributes daily to Yahoo!’s Ball Don’t Lie NBA blog and has written for GQ, The Awl, and FreeDarko. He was also a co-author of The Undisputed Guide to Pro Basketball History. In his spare time, he reads long novels, watches weird movies, and yells at his television.

TIM MARCHMAN: Who is a writer out of Chicago, IL. Currently a Knight-Wallace fellow in journalism at the University of Michigan, he has written for various publications including the Wall Street Journal, Sports Illustrated and the New York Sun, where he was the baseball correspondent from 2003 to 2008. He admires The Mekons and Jon Fitch.

ERIC NUSBAUM: Who was a U.S. Census Crew Leader in Seattle, WA, where he still lives. He founded and co-edits the baseball blog Pitchers & Poets. His writing has appeared in Slate, Deadspin, GQ.com, TheAtlantic.com, and The Best American Sports Writing anthology.

DAVID ROTH: Who is a writer from New Jersey, and who lives in New York. He co-writes the Wall Street Journal's Daily Fix and writes the unpopular sports column The Mercy Rule for Vice. He also writes about sports and other things for The Awl, New York Magazine and GQ, among other places. He's a Mets fan, so he knows all about how that feels.

TOM SCHARPLING: Who is the host of the radio show "The Best Show on WFMU." He was a writer and executive producer of the Emmy-Award winning show Monk and wrote for SLAM magazine as a young lad. He is currently developing two shows for Comedy Central and finds himself rooting for Kevin Durant but relating more to Monta Ellis.

BETHLEHEM SHOALS: Who is the founder of FreeDarko and a co-author of The Macrophenomal Pro Basketball Almanac and The Undisputed Guide to Pro Basketball History. He has written about sports for GQ, Sports Illustrated, McSweeney’s, and Deadspin, and about non-sports stuff for The Nation and The Awl.

LANG WHITAKER: Who is SLAM magazine’s editor-at-large, and a contributor to NBA TV. He is the author of The Time of Bobby Cox: The Atlanta Braves, Their Manager, My Couch, Two Decades and Me and a co-author of The Undisputed Guide to Pro Basketball History. He has also written for the New York Times, GQ, Sports Illustrated and Esquire. He plays a lot of video games.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

morestuff posted:

(and Tom Scharpling, for some reason)

Because he owns and The Best Show is the greatest thing ever

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

morestuff posted:

A bunch of interesting writers (and Tom Scharpling, for some reason) are trying to get a sports site in the vein of The Awl off the ground.

they're going to post lists and random links they found online?

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I kicked in a couple of bucks to that this morning. I've always enjoyed reading Freeman and Shoals, so I'm looking forward to something they're behind.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
So Rick Reilly has hit creative rock bottom.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

quote:

You've heard of hanging chads? This was a Chad that wouldn't stop hanging.

I can just see Reilly smiling after he types this, right before explaining to a 20-year old intern that it's a reference to something that happened 11 years ago

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

More Reilly: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/story/_/id/6866409/rick-reilly-bengals

I'm Rick Reilly writing this story: "How can I shoehorn more awful metaphors into this story? THERE MUST BE A WAY."

Choice quote: "Brown has made such a vomitorium out of this team..." I do not think it means what you think it means.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
Twitter should not exist:

SI_PeterKing Peter King
I'll give you a bizarre Stat of the Afternoon. RBI: Ellsbury 75, Pujols 75.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Wow Peter King my mind is totally blown :suicide:

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

--John Wooden
Yahoo! Sports just published a story on NCAA violations within Miami (FL) football that is pretty much an early front-runner for the sports story of the 2010s.

Discussion here

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

SI_PeterKing Peter King

thats a pretty good nugget

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Politicalrancor posted:

The Red Sox 7-8-9 hitters have a higher OPS than the Cardinals 9-1-2 (non-pither) hitters do, and Ellsbury has had more RISP than Albert. They're also at almost the same OPS. It's not that bizarre.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Politicalrancor posted:

Lofty nugget.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Badfinger posted:

The Red Sox 7-8-9 hitters have a higher OPS than the Cardinals 9-1-2 (non-pither) hitters do, and Ellsbury has had more RISP than Albert. They're also at almost the same OPS. It's not that bizarre.

the part that's bizarre is right there in your post i have made it all superscripty

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the part that's bizarre is right there in your post i have made it all superscripty

Understood. And yet he has only the 4th highest OPS among CF this season. In a down year overall, it is a pretty good year for CF! Plus, while I would not be that surprised for Ellsbury to maintain this OPS, I'd also not be surprised to see Pujols' OPS continue to rise.

Ellsbury OPS+ 136
Pujols OPS+ 148

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Yahoo! Sports just published a story on NCAA violations within Miami (FL) football that is pretty much an early front-runner for the sports story of the 2010s.

Discussion here

This is some amazing reporting.

Zorkon
Nov 21, 2008

WE CARE A LOT
Crossposting from NHL N/V:

The Star posted:

An Aug. 16 article about the death of former Vancouver Canuck Rick Rypien misquoted Canucks general manager Mike Gillis as having referred to Rypien as “crazy” in an interview with the Vancouver Sun last November when Rypien took a personal leave from the Canucks. In fact, Gillis never said that. What he said in an interview with Vancouver Sun columnist Iain MacIntyre was: “When you come to know somebody and realize they’re a really good person, who has their heart in the right place and wants to do the right thing not only for themselves but for others, you have to support them. You don’t only support them when they’re at the top of their game and doing everything you want. You support them when they’re not feeling good about things or have other issues they have to deal with.” The Star apologizes for this error.

That's the full text but I got it from here: http://www.thestar.com/opinion/corrections/article/1040334--apology

That's a hell of a mistake and/or revisionist history.

CLAMBO!
May 6, 2007
I don't know if this counts as journalism but I really enjoyed this article. It's the David Foster Wallace NYT bit on Federer. I only link it because it keeps popping into my head as I've been reading Grantland, then unfairly compare those guys to DFW and they fall so far short.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Badfinger posted:

Understood. And yet he has only the 4th highest OPS among CF this season. In a down year overall, it is a pretty good year for CF! Plus, while I would not be that surprised for Ellsbury to maintain this OPS, I'd also not be surprised to see Pujols' OPS continue to rise.

Ellsbury OPS+ 136
Pujols OPS+ 148

Also Albert missed a good nugget of the season with an injury and RBI is a mostly meaningless stat anyway.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

CLAMBO! posted:

I don't know if this counts as journalism but I really enjoyed this article. It's the David Foster Wallace NYT bit on Federer. I only link it because it keeps popping into my head as I've been reading Grantland, then unfairly compare those guys to DFW and they fall so far short.

I kind of miss Play Magazine, there was some great writing there. Michael Lewis wrote a really good piece on Texas Tech football for them a few years ago.

And yeah, Yahoo is doing a tremendous job on the Miami story, that's some amazing reporting. I read the other day that Yahoo Sports is pulling in more numbers than ESPN. I'm not surprised, they've been doing a great job as of late.

Ace Jameson
Feb 10, 2006

barkingclam posted:

I kind of miss Play Magazine, there was some great writing there. Michael Lewis wrote a really good piece on Texas Tech football for them a few years ago.

And yeah, Yahoo is doing a tremendous job on the Miami story, that's some amazing reporting. I read the other day that Yahoo Sports is pulling in more numbers than ESPN. I'm not surprised, they've been doing a great job as of late.

It probably also has to do with how clean and simple their site is. People (especially those at work) don't want to deal with giant flash ads for Gatorade taking over the screen and videos playing automatically.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I think ESPN catches more flak than they sometimes deserve, but this is seriously goddamn ridiculous placement for what is probably the biggest sports story of the year:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
It's advertising an article from that gigantic idiot Schoenfield, too.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

morestuff posted:

I think ESPN catches more flak than they sometimes deserve, but this is seriously goddamn ridiculous placement for what is probably the biggest sports story of the year:

Which is weird because they did a close to ten-minute cut into SportsCenter last night so Scott Van Pelt could do a phone interview with the guy who wrote the article for Yahoo! Sports.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!

Bigass Moth posted:

SI_PeterKing Peter King

I hope he posted that as a "wow RBIs don't actually matter" epiphany.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...

Nerokerubina posted:

I hope he posted that as a "wow RBIs don't actually matter" epiphany.

Think it was more of a "very good Boston player has [same meaningless stat] as one of the best active players in baseball"

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

CLAMBO! posted:

What are you talking about? They have footnotes and solipsism and everything!

BackInTheUSSR
Jun 22, 2004

1.5 HR/9
ACE
I think ESPN doesn't want to give too much attention to the story at this point because Yahoo completely scooped them in every regard. Once the violations are given, ESPN will go back into "run this poo poo into the ground" mode because Yahoo's reporting will no longer be the biggest part of the story.

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

What are you talking about? They have footnotes and solipsism and everything!

who needs meticulous note taking when you can just ramble for 3000 words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

The broken bones posted:

who needs meticulous note taking when you can just ramble for 3000 words
Let me tell you about the greatest* baseball game I've ever seen.

[writes 5,000-word article about an American All-Stars vs. Boston Red Sox best-of-seven series of "RBI Baseball" from a stoner's living room in Milpitas in 1990.]

- What is "meaning," anyway?