Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

The world would be a better place if all conflicts were settled in Quake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Iacen posted:

The world would be a better place if all conflicts were settled in Quake.

Not for me. I'd never get my way.

Chunderstorm
May 9, 2010

legs crossed like a buddhist
smokin' buddha
angry tuna

Edminster posted:

I'm getting an Invalid Or Deleted File error :(

Try this one!

http://www.mediafire.com/?k67dohss7se3nyo

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

MikeJF posted:

I would get my way as long as the map doesn't have pitfalls.

My mad bunnyhopping skilllzzzz are always thwarted by a lightning gun :(

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Well you're all probably familiar with the Scrolls / Elder Scrolls lawsuit Bethesda filed. Notch apparently wants to settle via Quake 3 deathmatches:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/9038258448/hey-bethesda-lets-settle-this

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

I dunno, this bugs me in a way I'm having trouble difficulty putting into words.

This sort of thing just hints of amateurism from Notch. Legal cases aren't ended by Quake matches, they are ended with big-boy things like court cases. Yeah, it'll cost a bit to deal with it that way, but that's what happens when you're an actual game developer.

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Jelly posted:

Well you're all probably familiar with the Scrolls / Elder Scrolls lawsuit Bethesda filed. Notch apparently wants to settle via Quake 3 deathmatches:

http://notch.tumblr.com/post/9038258448/hey-bethesda-lets-settle-this

Bottom of last page.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ugh, sorry. I saw Minecraft on page 2 and I thought that was a newer tweet. You guys are quick.

MisterBibs posted:

I dunno, this bugs me in a way I'm having trouble difficulty putting into words.

This sort of thing just hints of amateurism from Notch. Legal cases aren't ended by Quake matches, they are ended with big-boy things like court cases. Yeah, it'll cost a bit to deal with it that way, but that's what happens when you're an actual game developer.
I'm pretty sure Notch knows this is serious. If he can prevent it from going to court through a fun and inventive way, why not?

Personally I think Bethesda's lawsuit is frivolously stupid, and I think Notch should make light of it. And I hope if they turn him down he calls them scared.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Aug 17, 2011

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Jelly posted:

I'm pretty sure Notch knows this is serious. If he can prevent it from going to court through a fun and inventive way, why not?

Probably because Bethesda/Zenimax has already paid several thousands of dollars to initiate legal action and aren't just going to takesies backsies on the outcome of a Quake 3 game.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Quake III is way cheaper than lawyers.

I wish everything was settled via Quake III.

My divorce would've gone a lot better.

:smith:

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
I don't think some lawyer somewhere is going to give up on his dream of extracting money from Notch so he can play some video game he's probably never played before.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Al! posted:

Probably because Bethesda/Zenimax has already paid several thousands of dollars to initiate legal action and aren't just going to takesies backsies on the outcome of a Quake 3 game.
Million-dollar corporations sacrifice thousands of dollars every day for positive PR.

I'm not saying it will happen, but I don't see how Notch is actually hurting anything, and I think you guys are extremely uptight blowhards.

Ota_Himuro
Jan 13, 2008

A wild SANDBREAD appears!

MisterBibs posted:

Oooohohohoho I'm sure he knows that pretty well. On the other hand, he might be able to spin this to be a PR disaster for Bethesda, and remember, 3 million people already bought HIS game and if out of that a million (or even half a million) spergs get pissed at Bethesda being a dick with Notch, and don't buy Skyrim, Bethesda lost a SHITLOAD of money. He might not want to go to court but he found the best way to probably put Bethesda in a kind of lose/lose situation.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
Plus, what would Bethsada gain from this little challenge besides possibly some interesting press. The started the suit for a reason and I imagine anything less then changing the name of Scrolls or a large payout would change their minds.

Even though I personally think Bethsada has no case. Shouldn't be able to hold legally binding trademarks over single words that could be used in numerous ways. I dread the day someone trademarks "Sword".

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
On the other hand, good PR for Notch, bad PR for Bethesda. Bethesda's best damage control at this point is to work out a simple deal with Notch regarding some footnote that it has nothing to do with Elder Scrolls and then to take him up on the Quake match for fun.

E: gently caress me like 4 people all said the same thing at the same time.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Jelly posted:

Ugh, sorry. I saw Minecraft on page 2 and I thought that was a newer tweet. You guys are quick.

Always read the recent thread, and remember what the OP says that if something isn't IMMINENTLY new, don't post it.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Zorak posted:

Always read the recent thread, and remember what the OP says that if something isn't IMMINENTLY new, don't post it.
Yeah, I saw the first post on this page was from +2 hours ago, didn't see it on this page, and my Facebook notice was only 45 minutes old. Now I realize Facebook posts of his tweets are considerably delayed.

edit: Nevermind that I'm retarded and didn't even realize the first post on this page was about Quake.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 17, 2011

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

FidgetyRat posted:

Even though I personally think Bethsada has no case. Shouldn't be able to hold legally binding trademarks over single words that could be used in numerous ways. I dread the day someone trademarks "Sword".

Besides, didn't the courts finally tell Tim Langdell that he doesn't have trademark control over everything with the word "edge" in it?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

Why waste the money and time when you can simply go to whoever has a problem with you and handle it like a grownup? Just because the platform to decide the outcome happens to be a game doesn't make it less adult-like.

You seem to be falling into what society wants you to think is the way to settle things...free your mind man. Free your mind.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

MikeJF posted:

Just a quick question. I love using your profile manager, but is there any way you could make a version that runs 64bit java when it launches minecraft? I'm getting sick of even my vanilla install for smp running out of RAM every half hour.

E. dpbjinc on IRC fixed it as I was posting. [URL REDACTED]

E. E. Looks like I broke something completely on my end of this, I sure hope minecraft never has a smooth user experience.

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 17, 2011

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Chain world's being sent off to Abortion is yummy and the list'll be updated in a bit.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ota_Himuro posted:

3 million people already bought HIS game and if out of that a million (or even half a million) spergs get pissed at Bethesda being a dick with Notch, and don't buy Skyrim, Bethesda lost a SHITLOAD of money.

Do you really think even half a million of the people who are currently saying I WON'T BUY SKYRIM NOW will actually not buy Skyrim because of this?

Arkitektbmw posted:

Why waste the money and time when you can simply go to whoever has a problem with you and handle it like a grownup? Just because the platform to decide the outcome happens to be a game doesn't make it less adult-like.

See, that's just the thing. Adults don't solve poo poo over games of Quake 3, especially when said poo poo is about adult-level stuff like potential copyright issues.

To even suggest it, though, and especially since he's potentially serious, makes me shake my head. And you're talking to a guy who does "random challenge to determine a result" on occasion with friends.*

I'm not a lawyer, but couldn't Bethesda's lawyers point to this and say something along the lines of "He's not taking this seriously, judge, just award in our favor?"

* Including a "If you want me to play online Starcraft 2 with you guys after laughing at me for liking single player, you have to get a passing grade on a 10-point lore quiz" thing, once.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

MisterBibs posted:

Adults don't solve poo poo over games of Quake 3, especially when said poo poo is about adult-level stuff like potential copyright issues.

I'm not a lawyer, but couldn't Bethesda's lawyers point to this and say something along the lines of "He's not taking this seriously, judge, just award in our favor?"

Not that I totally disagree with what you're saying, but it's not unheard of for "adult-level" legal disputes to be solved in a ridiculous manner.

Years ago, Southwest Airlines was in a dispute with Stevens Aviation over the motto "Plane Smart". Instead of duking it out in the courts, the CEOs of the companies arm wrestled each other for the right to use the phrase. Seriously.

I think Notch most likely intends for the match to be a settlement out of court, not any sort of actual legal thing. Lawyers wouldn't be (directly) involved.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

MisterBibs posted:

See, that's just the thing. Adults don't solve poo poo over games of Quake 3, especially when said poo poo is about adult-level stuff like potential copyright issues.

You're right. And by adults you mean "people-who-take-themselves-too-seriously."

All I'm saying is it would actually be good publicity for both companies. I dunno, maybe that's too "outside the box thinking" for "Adults."

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Bethesda could actually gain some PR if they agreed, though.
It's not professional or very serious. But it's something that appeals to the customers and the fanbase because it's a stand against the buttoned-down world of bullshit legal cases so many people already have a problem with. If Bethesda were to look at the lawsuit they've started almost reflexively and recognize their case was absurd, agreeing to this would be the best way to cover their asses in terms of PR. Gaming/news sites around the internet would run coverage of the story, that Bethesda was unorthodox and sporting enough to take him up on the offer. It would generate incredible buzz, and even if they lost it would be a graceful way of dropping the whole lawsuit which seems frivolous to begin with and has generated some backlash already.

Doesn't matter if it's amateurish, it has the chance to be spun into great publicity. For both sides. In a way it's sort of a genius proposal, and Notch comes out ahead no matter what Bethesda's response is.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
Bethesda are legally obliged to protect their trademark, in case someone else actually tries to copy their IP in the future they can prove that they've been actively defending it. Blame the legal system that makes this necessary if you must blame anything.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'd respect both companies more if this matter was solved playing some game than some boring rear end court snoozefest. Loosen the tie and have some fun GRANDPA :colbert:

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Vib Rib posted:

Bethesda could actually gain some PR if they agreed, though.
It's not professional or very serious. But it's something that appeals to the customers and the fanbase because it's a stand against the buttoned-down world of bullshit legal cases so many people already have a problem with. If Bethesda were to look at the lawsuit they've started almost reflexively and recognize their case was absurd, agreeing to this would be the best way to cover their asses in terms of PR. Gaming/news sites around the internet would run coverage of the story, that Bethesda was unorthodox and sporting enough to take him up on the offer. It would generate incredible buzz, and even if they lost it would be a graceful way of dropping the whole lawsuit which seems frivolous to begin with and has generated some backlash already.

Doesn't matter if it's amateurish, it has the chance to be spun into great publicity. For both sides. In a way it's sort of a genius proposal, and Notch comes out ahead no matter what Bethesda's response is.

Just one problem. What happens when they want to file a lawsuit that has an actual basis? That person/company will demand that they be treated the same and allowed their deathmatch. And, should Bethesda lose, they have now lost control of actual intellectual property.

Notch really has put them in a lose/lose situation. Doesn't change the fact that the lawsuit is bullshit, but Bethesda now has no way to withdraw gracefully.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

It's not professional or very serious... Doesn't matter if it's amateurish
I realize from the rest of your post that you're not actually opposed to the Q3 idea, but still, why would you be under the impression that it could ever be "professional" or "not amateurish" to try to extort money from someone for using the word "scrolls"? There's nothing inherently professional about trying to take someone to court, IP law is used grossly unprofessionally all the time :)

edit:

ItalicSquirrels posted:

And, should Bethesda lose, they have now lost control of actual intellectual property.
So? They could lose in court as well.

And strictly speaking, I know I could hop on IRC and find a few guys who still play Q3 who would be happy to kick Notch's rear end for an order of magnitude less than this legal BS has likely already cost Bethesda. I'd be surprised if they don't entertain this option (hiring... Q3 temps?), given that yeah, Notch kind of put them in a bad place.

also, where did Bethesda get the idea to call something "the * scrolls" from? wouldn't poo poo like, you know, the loving dead sea scrolls be considered prior art?

Straker fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Aug 17, 2011

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

Straker posted:

I realize from the rest of your post that you're not actually opposed to the Q3 idea, but still, why would you be under the impression that it could ever be "professional" or "not amateurish" to try to extort money from someone for using the word "scrolls"? There's nothing inherently professional about trying to take someone to court, IP law is used grossly unprofessionally all the time :)

Lawsuits and lawyers are the heighth of maturity and professionalism, no matter how seemingly petty or ludicrous; you just don't understand. It is how adults do things. Settling a matter via a friendly competition, on the other hand, is something that only children do, as we should look down upon it and scoff at it accordingly.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Scrolls is such a lovely name for a game anyways.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
/\/\/\/\ Yeah to be honest I wouldn't have a problem either way this turns out. I'm going to buy Skyrim, and I like Notch because of MC. But I don't really care about Scrolls. A name's a name's a name.

Shnakepup posted:

Lawsuits and lawyers are the heighth of maturity and professionalism, no matter how seemingly petty or ludicrous; you just don't understand. It is how adults do things. Settling a matter via a friendly competition, on the other hand, is something that only children do, as we should look down upon it and scoff at it accordingly.

you're my hero.

At first I was like why did you do a 180...then it clicked. You have now entered the OUTER LIMITS!

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 17, 2011

Roy
Sep 24, 2007
I don't know, I personally think that suggesting the case be settled by a Quake match is taking light of the whole thing. What's really going on here is that Bethesda is expecting an indie developer (although a wealthy one), to shell out thousands of dollars on lawyers because they think they can copyright a relatively common english 7-letter word.

What's next? Valve decides to copyright "half" and "life" so no one can use those words anymore? Maybe they'll sue some poor college student. The right thing to do would be to take them to court, and send out a clear message that bullying people like that is not ok.

Reive
May 21, 2009

What's that mod that I keep seeing that gives you the ability to select any block from a gui that appears in your inventory?
I want to build some random things while waiting for my friend's creative server to come back up so I figured that'd be a much easier way than using some sort of inventory editor.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

Reive posted:

What's that mod that I keep seeing that gives you the ability to select any block from a gui that appears in your inventory?
I want to build some random things while waiting for my friend's creative server to come back up so I figured that'd be a much easier way than using some sort of inventory editor.

Too Many Items. Check the modding thread if you have any issues with it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Mulefisk posted:

I don't know, I personally think that suggesting the case be settled by a Quake match is taking light of the whole thing. What's really going on here is that Bethesda is expecting an indie developer (although a wealthy one), to shell out thousands of dollars on lawyers because they think they can copyright a relatively common english 7-letter word.

What's next? Valve decides to copyright "half" and "life" so no one can use those words anymore? Maybe they'll sue some poor college student. The right thing to do would be to take them to court, and send out a clear message that bullying people like that is not ok.

Valve also has the trademarks for such unique terms as "Valve", "Steam", "Source", "Portal", and "Opposing Force".

They even had trademarks on "Terror" and "Hostile Takeover" which they didn't renew.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 17, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

So water doesn't push tnt anymore???? All of my cannons are broken!

PunkAssBookJockey
Mar 25, 2007

tinaun posted:

Abortion is yummy is next. Die quickly guys!

I almost died immediately, too, so you guys won't have to wait too long.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

pseudorandom name posted:

Valve also has the trademarks for such unique terms as "Valve", "Steam", "Source", "Portal", and "Opposing Force".

They even had trademarks on "Terror" and "Hostile Takeover" which they didn't renew.

It's nice to have trademarks on things, like in Valve's case, if someone (in China) releases a GldSrc mod/game/executable called OPPOSING FORCE three months after Valve releases Half-Life: Opposing Force trying to cash in on some bucks in their wake. It would be Valve's decision whether they wanted to sue or not. Maybe the game wasn't even an FPS? Maybe it was a little tower defense game and they didn't feel any threat from it.

Just as there is nothing corrupt or illegitimate solely in the desire to name a game something specific, there is nothing corrupt or illegitimate about trademarking a commonly used term or word. The corruption lies in the actual intent of the registrant/developer and the actions that follow in the years to come.

moondust fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 17, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Sassy Dog posted:

It would be Valve's decision whether they wanted to sue or not. Maybe the game wasn't even an FPS? Maybe it was a little tower defense game and they didn't feel any threat from it.
The thing about trademarks is that, to maintain your legal ownership of a trademark, you have to
1) actively use it yourself
2) defend it from becoming genericized
Often you don't have a choice to not send someone a legal cease-and-desist when it involves trademark, even if it's a little indie studio making a tower defense game.

If Bethesda owns a trademark for "Elder Scrolls" is the area of "video game title", it is actively harmful to them for someone else to use "Scrolls" as their video game title. If they don't make any objection to this, when someone else makes a game called "Ancient Scrolls" a year later, then either Bethesda or Mojang would have a more difficult time preventing it. Bethesda would be in danger of losing their trademark, something which is pretty valuable to them, being the supertitle to a very successful franchise.

quote:

The corruption lies in the actual intent of the registrant/developer and the actions that follow in the years to come.
The line between abuse and normal defense of trademarks can be really thin. You have things that are obviously abusive, like Monster Cables suing anyone they see using the word monster, even if it happens to be "Bob's Monster Bait Shop", or that guy who said he owned the word stealth. But in a lot of these cases, this one in particular, it only seems abusive if you're a fan of one of the parties or there is a big underdog component.

---
In this case, what would be best for both parties would be if they enter into some sort of legal agreement about the mark where both win. IE Mojang surrenders the mark to bethesda subsidiary to their "Elder Scrolls" mark, and bethesda licenses it back to them. Good PR for bethesda, and Mojang doesn't have to rename their game. I would bet that was what happened in the Southwest case linked above, behind the scenes in the legal departments.

Do the quake-off thing as well, just like the Southwest arm wrestling. Great cross-promotion for zenimax (owns id), maybe bethesda can bring some id guys into the game.