Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

plester1 posted:

We could always go with the Beavis and Butthead descriptor: "this music is slow and fat"

That makes lots of sense, sludgy riffs always get me thinking how "meaty" or "fat" they sound. But I still wish we could know how we went from that to something that comes out of the sewers.

Dyna Soar posted:

Music magazines called Crowbar doomcore at first. I am glad it didn't catch on.

Searching for "doomcore" on wikipedia now takes you to the wiki page on Hardcore Techno... it's one of its subgenres. I'm sure nobody minds them keeping it.

Also, then, what the gently caress is sludgecore? :psyduck: I've seen this term being thrown around, I think, to describe 13 and even Isis' early stuff, IIRC.

By the way, a friend of mine just recently got hooked on Electric Wizard. Then I presented her to The Lamp of Thoth and next thing I see, she's tweeting "HEY YOU, YOU MOTHERFUCKING WHORE, YOU'RE GONNA BURN, THERE'S BLOOD ON SATAN'S CLAW". :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Crimsonjewfro posted:

Also, then, what the gently caress is sludgecore? :psyduck: I've seen this term being thrown around, I think, to describe 13 and even Isis' early stuff, IIRC.

When I think "sludgecore" I think Fistula.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
eh, sludgecore and doomcore were thrown around back when crowbar and eyehategod were new. there's no real distinction or meaning to either, it's just names music magazines came up with.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Aug 8, 2011

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Crimsonjewfro posted:

That makes lots of sense, sludgy riffs always get me thinking how "meaty" or "fat" they sound. But I still wish we could know how we went from that to something that comes out of the sewers.

I thought the term "sludge" was totally appropriate, since it often sounds like it's slowly oozing out of someplace really horrible through your speakers, corrupting everything around you until it becomes as filth.

And that's why we love it.

Also, Juaguocio, thanks for the Haggatha link! I'm buying it right now. You know... you should do some Youtube vids of you jamming along to stuff off of the Hugenelk album.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Man Made, a psychedelic stoner metal band from St.Pete Florida, just released a video.

Check it out here.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

im_sorry posted:

Also, Juaguocio, thanks for the Haggatha link! I'm buying it right now. You know... you should do some Youtube vids of you jamming along to stuff off of the Hugenelk album.

Sure, is there any track in particular you'd like to hear? I probably won't be revisiting "Treehead," since I'm not satisfied with my playing on that tune.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

Juaguocio posted:

Sure, is there any track in particular you'd like to hear? I probably won't be revisiting "Treehead," since I'm not satisfied with my playing on that tune.

That's unfortunate. I really like that song. :(

Can you do "What in Tarnation"? I'm trying to learn the guitar, too, and being able to play along with the bass might help me understand what the guitars are doing, as well as helping me to understand exactly why the visible guitarist in the video does some of the moves he does on his guitar.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
Hey all, I've listened to Queens of the Stone Age and Kyuss for years (and the Desert Sessions) and just recently have been binging on everything John Garcia has done and I'd like some recommendations for similar stuff. I just listened to Sleep's Holy Mountain for the first time (holy poo poo) and I like it a lot but it's more slow and doomy than I'd like at the moment. I like the spacey desert blues sound of songs like Space Cadet and the overall feel of Welcome to Sky Valley. I'd love to hear any bands/albums that are just as awesome. Thanks. :D

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Are there any drone bands out there like Sunn that are a bit more melodic? I love the idea of just pure bass and sound at insanely slow tempos, but I need just a little bit of melody or something to really seal the deal.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Fun Times! posted:

Hey all, I've listened to Queens of the Stone Age and Kyuss for years (and the Desert Sessions) and just recently have been binging on everything John Garcia has done and I'd like some recommendations for similar stuff. I just listened to Sleep's Holy Mountain for the first time (holy poo poo) and I like it a lot but it's more slow and doomy than I'd like at the moment. I like the spacey desert blues sound of songs like Space Cadet and the overall feel of Welcome to Sky Valley. I'd love to hear any bands/albums that are just as awesome. Thanks. :D

The OP has some killer recommendations, but I'll throw this out there:
Capricorns - Comrades in Tears
Brainoil - Wielding Strength
Melvins - Night Goat

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Fun Times! posted:

Check out Truckfighters

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

This is going to make me sound and look like a total cretin but here goes: I'm going to finally buy an electric guitar and learn playing it form scratch. This thread contains 99% of the music I absolutely adore and listen to a veritable shitload and I kinda want to buy an orange amp (together with an Epiphone). (I know that it'll cost me, but I've saved up for this purposefully and my mind's rather set on it.)

First off: does this idea suck total monkeyballs? If not, what would those of you with knowledge about this stuff recommend exactly? I'm mostly going to be playing at home, obviously, learning the ins and outs and all that. Thanks in advance!

And for some actual on-topic stuff: Going to see YOB and Dark Castle live October 15th here in Belgium, I'm so stoked. Also filling the bill are Kongh, Sardonis and Ultraphallus (these last two bands are Belgian, and pretty much kick rear end). Kongh is Swedish and I suppose most of you are already aware of them, yet I don't see them namedropped quite that often. They're very YOB-a-like in my opinion. Have some music:

Sardonis - Thor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTeGOTAsG-8

Sardonis - The Wolf's Lair:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UW4Yt2J9Ys&feature=related

Ultraphallus - Antibody:
http://youtu.be/44JkscvifOA

Kongh - Essence Asunder:
http://youtu.be/HmSKYogsZXI

Kongh - Voice of the Below:
http://youtu.be/LC-1qZNTJFc

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

nosophoros posted:

I kinda want to buy an orange amp

*snip*

I'm mostly going to be playing at home, obviously, learning the ins and outs and all that.

If you're going to be playing mostly at home, don't buy a high wattage Orange tube amp. You can really only dial in a volume between "deafening" and "obscene". A practice amp will be less than $100 and you'll actually be able to play at home without the neighbors calling the police.

Orange's small amps are nothing at all like the big ones and are basically interchangeable with any other brand's practice amp.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind

plester1 posted:

If you're going to be playing mostly at home, don't buy a high wattage Orange tube amp. You can really only dial in a volume between "deafening" and "obscene". A practice amp will be less than $100 and you'll actually be able to play at home without the neighbors calling the police.

Orange's small amps are nothing at all like the big ones and are basically interchangeable with any other brand's practice amp.

Listen to this post. Further, if you're just starting off on playing guitar, I'd focus a bit more on selecting a guitar that you're comfortable with that also sounds good. I'm not the biggest fan of Epis, personally. The PRS SE guitars offer much more bang for the buck and can be had used at good prices.

I've played sludge/doom-y stuff for many years, and in two bands my friend and I wrote 90% of our songs playing on Tech 21 Trademark 10 amps at low volume.

Don't invest in expensive gear until you've actually learned how to play guitar and you're ready to put a band together. If it's just you in a room, stick with a practice amp. Most of them are interchangeable and sound fine.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

Roasted Donut posted:

Check out Truckfighters

That's what I'm talkin about.

NuclearGuru
Jan 4, 2011

Fun Times! posted:

That's what I'm talkin about.

Also Asteroid (both albums, absolutely top shelf psychedelic spacey stoner rock with very well done vocals), Greenleaf, and Dozer. All of those are, like Truckfighters, Swedish and awesome.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
I tried googling "Asteroid space rock" before realizing how retarded that was. Then I found this song and it's pretty much spot on what I was looking for. :allears:
Now to look into all the other stuff. Tomorrow will rule.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Fun Times! posted:

I tried googling "Asteroid space rock" before realizing how retarded that was.

Hahaha.

Thanks for the info plester1 and Argali, won't be getting ahead of myself now!

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Why won't YOB come to Finland on that tour? :negative: Would you like to deliver them a message? Oh well, at least we get UFOmammut next month.

Roland Cubes are supposed to be good and affordable practice amps. I got one too, but I was too lazy to really put time into playing. I'm trying to muster up the motivation again.

And drat you all and your awesome recommendations, I've already bought a ridiculous amount of CD's during the past few weeks.

Clean Cup
Mar 4, 2009
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162051 AHHHHHHH NEW BLACK SABBATH WITH ORIGINAL LINE UP.

So much blood rushed to my penis that it exploded.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Clean Cup posted:

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162051 AHHHHHHH NEW BLACK SABBATH WITH ORIGINAL LINE UP.

Beat me to it, but yeah totally stoked for this. Hoping for Florida date(s).

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Clean Cup posted:

:stare:

If this actually lasts long enough to become a thing and I get a new album from them and to actually see them live then I don't even know.

My favourite bit is "It's more back to the old original stuff." gently caress.

edit: just to ruin everyone's day.
http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/black-sabbath-reunite-official/
"However, I0ommi’s management have now strongly denied the authenticity of this story, claiming that the guitarist hasn’t spoken to the paper for two months!"

edit number 2: word from Iommi:
http://tonyiommi.com/index.php?story=128
Doesn't seem to be loading but here's what it says on Facebook:"Tony Iommi Comments on Today's Posts:

I’m saddened that a Birmingham journalist whom I trusted has chosen this point in time to take a conversation we had back in June and make it sound like we spoke yesterday about a Sabbath reunion.

Thanks to the internet it’s now gone round the world as some sort of “official” statement on my part, absolute nonsense. I hope he’s enjoyed his moment of glory, he won’t have another."

Crackerman fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 16, 2011

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer

nosophoros posted:

This is going to make me sound and look like a total cretin but here goes: I'm going to finally buy an electric guitar and learn playing it form scratch. This thread contains 99% of the music I absolutely adore and listen to a veritable shitload and I kinda want to buy an orange amp (together with an Epiphone). (I know that it'll cost me, but I've saved up for this purposefully and my mind's rather set on it.)

Awesome idea! Doom/stoner/sludge is typically really easy to play and sounds awesome. It's a great way to learn guitar.

That said, I don't recommend getting an Epiphone. They're ok guitars, but the electronics in them are pretty bad and you could get much better for your money. Check out the Agile brand guitars on Rondomusic.com. They're really cheap and are drat good for the money. When you pick one out, there are a few things you need to make sure to do:

1) Pickups: Are they humbuckers or single-coil? If you plan on using a lot of distortion, make sure you get a guitar with humbuckers. If you try to use single coil pickups, there will be a ton of uncontrollable buzz and feedback. Humbuckers also sound much thicker and meatier than single coils.

2) Get it set up professionally: When you get a guitar new, bring it to a professional guitar tech to have them set everything up for you. They will adjust the truss rod, put on new strings, and generally do all sorts of necessary things that you will have no idea how to do. Also, if you plan on playing heavy music, you'll probably be tuning your guitar down. The standard guitar tuning is in E standard. Many of these bands play in C, B, or even A. If you tune down any lower than D, bring it in to a professional again and have them set it up for lower tunings (which entails heavier strings and action adjustment).

If you've never played a guitar before, don't buy a big, expensive amp. Frankly, for the first year or so, anything you're going to play is going to sound like poo poo regardless. Buy a solid little practice amp that doesn't cost an arm and a leg, but is well-suited for distortion. You basically have two options: getting a digital modelling amp and using onboard distortion or getting a low-wattage tube amp and using a distortion or fuzz pedal.

Modelling amps are great for beginners because they offer so many different amp tones, allowing players to try out all sorts of different styles. On the downside, though, they generally sound very "cold" and shallow compared to a real tube amp. Some people I know have also said that they feel much less responsive than "real" amps. You also can't use effects pedals with modelling amps, but they often come with onboard effects (which, honestly, typically aren't very good). If you go this route, the Peavy Vyper 15 and Roland Cube 15 are your best bets. Both are about $100 US. Be warned, though, since sludge isn't really a common style, it will probably be difficult to find a tone that will work for it on either of those amps. They're more built for Metallica-like metal, but if you screw around with the EQ enough, it can be done.

If you decide to go for a tube amp, you'll get a warmer, more organic tone. Most sludge/doom musicians use them for this reason. Unless you get a huge Orange or Sunn amp, though, the onboard distortion probably won't be enough for playing sludge. You'd have to get a distortion or fuzz pedal to get a suitable tone. The amps themselves are more expensive, but if you get a decent one, it will last you as a good practice amp for the rest of your career. Most people eventually trade their modeling amps in, as they don't sound very good to trained ears. I personally recommend the Epiphone Valve Junior, as it's pretty cheap (about $200 US) and plays well with pedals. As for distortion, don't buy the cheapest Boss pedal you find; they're generally pretty bad. Try ordering a Devi Ever Hyperion ($90 US) or the Electric Wizard trademark pedal, the Boss FZ-2 (they're discontinued, but you can find them on Ebay for about $100).

Sorry for the wall of text, but I love to sperg about sludge/doom setups.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick

nosophoros posted:

The guys above me have already posted some great gear suggestions, but I'll just vouch that I've been playing guitar for about 7 years and for the last 3 months I've played almost nothing but riffs from Sleep's Holy Mountain - it's the most fun I've had on the instrument in years. Hopefully you'll be motivated to play as much as I am if you decide to go for it, because even with a lovely 30 watt amp and a Strat it's a blast to hammer out Dopesmoker.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Wampa Stompa posted:

or the Electric Wizard trademark pedal, the Boss FZ-2 (they're discontinued, but you can find them on Ebay for about $100).

As an aside, the hype surrounding this pedal is nothing short of ridiculous. Sure, it sounds like E. Wiz, but that's literally the only thing it can do. I found one on my local craigslist for 40 bucks, then flipped it only a few months later for double that once I realized it was completely useless for what I wanted.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
There was a mention of Agile guitars: They make a decent amount of extended-scale guitars, so if you want to do low tunings (Drop-A is good :-)) I'd recommend getting a 27" scale. They actually had a decent looking Les Paul clone with 27" but I couldn't find it again so it might be out of stock. Agiles span the range from cheap ($299 or so) to midrange ($1200), and also offer semi-custom instruments like once a year. I got my 8-string 27" guitar from them and I love it.

E: Scale length refers to the distance from the nut (the little piece of bone/plastic with slots for the string at tue top of the fretboard, by the headstock) to the bridge. Most guitars are 24.75" to 25.5", which is okay for standard tuning but means strings get floppy when you use lower tunings, and you need to use thick strings. An extended scale (26.5" to 30" and above) will handle lower tunings much better, and allow you to use thinner strings if you desire. A longer scale does mean the space between frets is bigger, so it may be uncomfortable at first, coming from a standard scale. Something like 27" is manageable, but jumping straight to 30" (which is also the length of short-scale basses) can be near-impossible.

The Gasmask fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Aug 17, 2011

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Also, if you're brand new at guitar buying good quality used things that keep their value is a great idea because you can always resell for a good amount and trade up. Like, if you're gonna get a microphone get a Shure SM57/SM58 because they're basically an industry standard and you're always going to get a good price out of it.

Stay away from behringer/bugera and research your stuff. I just recently got into sludge guitar as well (been playing for years) and there is nothing better than hearing the rattle of your speakers and making sick rear end riffs that move your bowels.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not sure if I posted this already but it's worth a listen:

Adult Swim released a Metal compilation album a few years ago called
Metal Swim

It's got rarities, B-sides and other stuff from some of the favourites around this thread, like Kylesa,
Torche, Boris, Zoroaster, Pelican, Isis, Black Tusk, Red Fang, Witch Mountain
and others and it's well worth checking out.

Check it out and download it here.

Quantum of Phallus fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Aug 18, 2011

Stink Hungry
Jul 22, 2003

You betcha

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Are there any drone bands out there like Sunn that are a bit more melodic? I love the idea of just pure bass and sound at insanely slow tempos, but I need just a little bit of melody or something to really seal the deal.

try Jesu or Nadja maybe? not as noisey as Sunn, but slow and droney.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Reading over the the gear tips, would pretty much all the guitar recommendations transfer over to bass as well? I got a little practice bass amp for cheap about a month back, but haven't got around to actually getting something to plug into it yet. Doom and sludge have long been my "home" sub-genres, so that's what I'm most interested in playing, obviously.

I'm not a total musical neophyte if it matters, but my background is not in the stringy or hitty bits. I've always trended to the lower end in the past though, so I figured bass is where I should go.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Not sure if I posted this already but it's worth a listen:

Adult Swim released a Metal compilation album a few years ago called Metal Swim

It's got rarities, B-sides and other stuff from some of the favourites around this thread, like Kylesa,
Torche, Boris, Zoroaster, Pelican, Isis, Black Tusk, Red Fang, Witch Mountain
and others and it's well worth checking out.

Check it out and download it here.

Killer! Thanks for this!

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Has anyone mentioned Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats?
I just got their album yesterday, sounds like it's been pulled straight from the seventies. A cd pressing is out now and a vinyl pressing will be out soon.

Here's the track convinced me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjO5PuXJO48

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

HMorg posted:

I just got their album yesterday, sounds like it's been pulled straight from the seventies. A cd pressing is out now and a vinyl pressing will be out soon.

Mine arrived in the mail today!

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Shakenbaker posted:

bass questions

Bass is a little more price-friendly in the sense that you can get a great sound going direct, and can sweeten the sound using a Bass POD or GT8-B. What most bands do (though it's not as common in sludge) is have a DI track with the high-end filtered out and use an amp or POD with some distortion for the crunchy midrange. That's how some bands have a really thick low-end while also having the bass compliment the guitar tracks.

Another trick if you're in a one guitar, one bass band is having a DI track panned center and a high-gain track panned either hard left or right. This gives the effect of a dual guitar (i.e. Double-tracked) sound with only 2 string musicians. Rage Against the Machine did this a lot, and I've heard it on some sludge albums recently.

If you do go for a regular amp I've heard older SWRs are good, and GK makes a decent head iirc. You want some sort of range with cabinets; in my old band I used a Mesa 1x15/4x8, with a cheap Hartke 4x10 if I needed more volume.

Bass wise you don't need anything fancy; a Fender P or J bass will work fine. If you do want to splurge though, a Warwick Thumb or Corvette are pretty much the best. They have a wonderful natural crunch, with a unique midrange that helps it stand out without muddying the guitar. I had a Thumb for many years and used it on a few albums/live and never had a single issue with fitting in the mix.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

HMorg posted:

Mentioned them a page or two ago, don't think I really stressed how much Electric Wizard/Sabbath/retro stoner doom fans need to check them out. It's a really great album - keep an eye on them, they're gonna get popular for sure.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Primate, featuring members of Mastodon, Brutal Truth, and The Despised, are touring the southeast next month.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord

I saw them in LA earlier this year and it was killer. They rule live.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HMorg posted:

Thanks for this, the album rocks hard.

Psychedelius
Apr 24, 2010

HMorg posted:

Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats?

Great stuff, reminds me strongly of sound of Witch's first album that somehow went missing on the second album.

I recently came across True Widow. They ride the line between shoegaze and stoner/doom goodness (they classify themselves as stonergaze :v:), think newer Earth with spacy vocals.
They released their second album back in May, beautifully titled "As High As The Highest Heavens And From The Center To The Circumference Of The Earth", give them a try!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rf3TMuAQIdU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Fun Times! posted:

Didn't see anyone mention Lowrider. VERY obviously influenced by Kyuss, but if you don't care about something being derivative then you should really like them. As far as I know they only ever did one split with Nebula and one full album. The stuff on the split is excellent while the album is mostly good but pretty boring in places. Still worth getting though.

From the split:
Lameneshma (ignore the dumb video)
Shivaree
Upon the Dune (you should like this if you like Space Cadet)

From Ode to Io:
Flat Earth
Caravan
Saguaro

Thanks to the guy who mention Asteroid as well, I ended up buying the latest album altering Spotifying it.