Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Woebin posted:

I think Norwegian's pretty cool, personally. And it's refreshing to see someone use a less overused language for something like this (German is also a cool language, but it gets used for this stuff all the time). Why does it make you cringe? Is it just familiarity, assuming you're Norwegian? I guess I'd probably roll my eyes a bit at someone using Swedish as a "cool language", so I suppose I could understand that.

The problem with Norwegian as a cool language is that it sounds so drat cheerful all the time. Now I realize that this is a stereotype and there's probably some way to make Norwegian sound angry, but in my limited interaction with norwegians this hasn't happened yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Woebin posted:

I think Norwegian's pretty cool, personally. And it's refreshing to see someone use a less overused language for something like this (German is also a cool language, but it gets used for this stuff all the time). Why does it make you cringe? Is it just familiarity, assuming you're Norwegian? I guess I'd probably roll my eyes a bit at someone using Swedish as a "cool language", so I suppose I could understand that.

I agree that Norwegian is cool. But so is Swedish (note that I'm also a Swede). Swedish is a pretty cool language, what with having a bunch of dots over letters and whatnot. They're both pretty viking and metal, really.

Of course, this differs depending on how it's used. Everyday Swedish (and, I assume, Norwegian) doesn't sound cool at all. Same goes for German and every other language I've ever heard.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Can't say i know any "cool" sounding language. French is pretty "smooth", but at the trade-off of being a bitch to speak clearly. I mean, i guess German sounds cool if you exclusively listen to Till Lindemann? Not so much 98% of the country.

ninjaedit: Wait, Russian gets pretty close to sounding cool.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Woebin posted:

Heligt Krig and Verklighetens Död isn't that far away from norwegian. Though, I first thought it was Dutch because of the oe in Doed. Dutch is even shittier as a "cool" language.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Woebin posted:

Speaking of...

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Niton posted:

Speaking of...
Haha, I remember borrowing this game from a friend once upon a time. That was a strange choice of intro music, and it did indeed make me cringe. Not a very good game, either.

Brandfarlig posted:

Heligt Krig and Verklighetens Död isn't that far away from norwegian.
Yeah, that's why I thought at first that it had to be either dyslexic Swedish or Norwegian. The languages are close enough to probably be just about interchangeable to someone who doesn't understand them.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Chapter 28 - It's a Bossa time

Today we're gonna explore the beaches of Costa Del Sol Rio de Janeiro.

So let's pretend that immediately after leaving the boat, Cloud and his friends arrive at Copacabana Beach.

Copacabana might be one of the most famous, if not the single most famous places in Rio. No matter where you are or how far you are from it, there's a post sign indicating its direction.

The name Copacabana actually derives from the building of a chapel containing a replica of the Patron of Copacabana, a Bolivian patron saint, which is Patron of, well, the city of Copacabana, in Bolivia:

The city by itself is named after the Aymaran word Kotakahuana, which means "Shore view".

If you have a hardon for fireworks, you might enjoy the new years eve in Rio.

Moving down you can see Copacabana's Stronghold. If you look closely you'll see some cannons in it. Although they're not a huge single cannon that would collapse on its own weight, it's still pretty cool.

That's exactly what I think every single loving summer.

The music from Costa Del Sol is actually a very nice and smooth Bossa Nova. Bossa Nova is a Brazilian-borne type of Jazz mixed with Samba. Its origin dates in late 50s.

The most famous Bossa Nova is Garota de Ipanema, which you might have heard as Girl from Ipanema.

When I was 11 I wanted to learn how to play the guitar. I started playing by myself which is never a good idea, and eventually my parents put me in some nice classes. Of course when I was young I wanted to play Rock, but since my classes were serious I was instead taught classic music and bossa nova and music theory.

All I wanted was to play some sick powerchords and instead I was falling half-asleep training arpeggios.

Bossa Nova is fairly popular in Japan, apparently. For some reason they tend to like our music.

For example, in the Final Fantasy Vocal collection "Love Will Grow", there's a FFIV music sang in Portuguese. It's also a Bossa Nova. It's also sang in an accent that makes me cringe. But it's all moon language to you anyway. Either way, I think the final result is pretty good.

Of course, sometimes the result isn't that good.

Of course as I pointed out in another update, Brazil is the country with the highest amount of Japanese people outside of Japan, so nothing prevents us from mixing the awesomeness.

Although Copacabana is the most famous beach, I'll be honest and say that it's not my favourite. I prefer the beaches from the northern states.

Who knows, maybe I'll talk about them sometime.

I really can't imagine Rufus "playing", whatever that means.

Of a Cessna, really? MY IMMERSION.

Wait, wasn't the president "playing"? He just left the boat. I don't understand.

Heard from whom? Everyone in the boat loving died.

This one is easy, we just left and stood in the open chatting for 10 minutes.

Costa del Sol means Coast of the Sun. Or Sunny Coast if you're giving yourself some artistic freedom. It's Spanish.

In Portuguese, it would be Costa do Sol.

Honestly, I get the feeling that the guy was talking about the previous President and don't actually know or care that he died. And it makes sense, Rufus is pretty pissed off that these bozos were hired and kept in the company.

Once again Heidegger gets really pissed off and throws everyone in the water.

Hahahaha.

How can fighting a lot make you bored? Isn't that pretty much the opposite? Or maybe he's bored because they're in a beautiful beach not fighting a lot.

But really none of this dialogue makes much sense to me.

:smith:

VEGAS BABE.

We can check the house immediately upstairs. This house is important for a very simple reason, we'll see it soon.

Look at how smooth this motherfucker looks. Look at that hat.

That's right, you can buy your own house, and it belonged to none other than President Shinra. Of course we want it. Let's see how much it costs.

:smith: Don't worry guys, one day we'll be this rich. I'll just put some [All] Materias in the unlinked DOUBLE Growth slots.

Seriously this makes zero sense to me.

Nevertheless we get a [Fire Ring], an accessory which nulls Fire Damage.

And [Motor Drive], the DOUBLE Growth weapon for Tifa.

You can't really see it on screenshots, but you can kick the soccer ball to Red XIII, making him very pissed off.

JOHNNY!!

I'm sorry, I'm not buying that this guy was in SOLDIER.

Most of all, how do you forget the name of your childhood friend whom apparently was in SOLDIER with you?

Also, how do you move from the slums at Midgar to what I assume to be a very expensive coastal town?

And with that we end the update.

NEXT TIME:

Hojo! Hojettes! More beaches!

Elentor fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Aug 18, 2011

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I do hope you'll be buying that house later.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Elentor posted:

I really can't imagine Rufus "playing", whatever that means.

Of a Cessna, really? MY IMMERSION.

Wait, wasn't the president "playing"? He just left the boat. I don't understand.

Notice the sailor says "The manager of Shinra won't come down[,] even though the President's here on business."

It's a badly parsed sentence, but basically he's saying one of the Shinra executives can't be bothered to show up even though Rufus just arrived in town.

Also, you don't so much kick the ball TO Red XIII as kick the ball AT Red XIII. You're basically kicking the ball off his face. :smith:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Hey Elentor, I think you missed an image. Right after Cloud calls Barret a bear wearing a marshmallow.

Or at least, put "7" there and posted the image right after it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ApeHawk posted:

Hey Elentor, I think you missed an image. Right after Cloud calls Barret a bear wearing a marshmallow.

Or at least, put "7" there and posted the image right after it.

I didn't miss any image but you're right, I missed clearing that placeholder. Thanks.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Aug 18, 2011

Doctor Roosevelt
Jun 17, 2006

Nap Ghost

Schwartzcough posted:

Notice the sailor says "The manager of Shinra won't come down[,] even though the President's here on business."

It's a badly parsed sentence, but basically he's saying one of the Shinra executives can't be bothered to show up even though Rufus just arrived in town.

He's the guy up on the observation deck of the lighthouse in the background. You can see him moving around in the photos, even. And yes, it's the same guy from Junon and the train in Midgar (though honestly, they should've changed the Shinra manager there to the Director of Urban Planning or whatever his job title was, which makes the next several hours of the game make somewhat more sense).

I think he was also one of the foley artists in President Shinra's Honeybee Inn sequence, but I can't rightly recall at the moment.

e: Oh, and before I forget- the real estate agent's model there in the late President Shinra's villa is the same one used by Biggs in disguise when you jumped off the train back before the Mako Reactor #5 bombing. I'm pretty sure it's one of the more rarely used NPC models in the game, at that.

Doctor Roosevelt fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Aug 18, 2011

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Red was playing ball with those kids and you kicked it at his head.:mad:
Cloud is schizophrenic at the weirdest times.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

This is my favorite line in the game. Really this whole update should be used as an example of why Cloud is actually a character with a decent sense of humor.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

Adus posted:

This is my favorite line in the game. Really this whole update should be used as an example of why Cloud is actually a character with a decent sense of humor.

Yeah, this is the scene I always think of whenever people lay on the "Cloud is nothing but a whiny emo" argument.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah Cloud really was a great character with a ton of great lines. It's such a shame what they did to him in Advent Children and the rest of the compilation. Who do we blame for that again?

Fartmancer
Sep 17, 2004

I want to hug you like big, fuzzy, Siberian bear

Pierson posted:

Yeah Cloud really was a great character with a ton of great lines. It's such a shame what they did to him in Advent Children and the rest of the compilation. Who do we blame for that again?

Nomura? I don't know. It does suck.

Choray
Oct 31, 2009

FF7 seems to be the go-to JRPG whenever people want to complain about stereotypical JRPG poo poo, whether it actually applies to FF7 or not. Another I like is when they complain that the cast is full of teenagers, when as far as I'm aware the only teenager in 7 is Yuffie, and if anything its cast has one of the higher average ages in the series.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Pierson posted:

Creepy fangirls?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Choray posted:

FF7 seems to be the go-to JRPG whenever people want to complain about stereotypical JRPG poo poo, whether it actually applies to FF7 or not. Another I like is when they complain that the cast is full of teenagers, when as far as I'm aware the only teenager in 7 is Yuffie, and if anything its cast has one of the higher average ages in the series.

Yeah, this is something I've noticed a lot. Like from Yahtzee for instance. If he ever needs to talk about JRPGs he'll use a facsimile of Cloud, even when he's talking about things that aren't true to his character (like being a teenager, or having a ridiculous outfit). I think that's just an unfortunate consequence of the game being so popular, though. Cloud is easy to recognize even with a simple art style because all you need to do is add the signature hair and big sword.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A couple other games, like Suikoden II and Xenosaga, have songs on their soundtrack that are sung in Portuguese. South America in general is a pretty common destination for Japanese immigrants. I once met a girl who's grandparents moved from Japan to Peru, and then she moved from there to the US.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

U.T. Raptor posted:

Creepy fangirls?

Yeah, the Compilation only made an existing problem worse. The internet was already full of creepy-as-gently caress emo Cloud boinking Sephitroth fanfiction.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Choray posted:

Yuffie is 16. Cloud, Aeris, and Tifa are in the low twenties. Barret's in his mid thirties. Red XIII is 48. We've still got 3 characters left to get but their ages are 35, 32, and 57, so, yeah. Yuffie sticks out by being so young.

Sephiroth's about 30 as well, if anyone cares.

Choray
Oct 31, 2009

Curiosity got the best of me and I had nothing better to do at the moment, so I went to a wiki and noted the ages of the main playable characters from main FFs 4 to 13.

Out of those, and excluding unknown or special cases, FF7 is tied for the third oldest cast by average and second oldest by median. Two of the games that have a higher average age than it, FF4 and 5, only have so due to especially old outliers, which 7 does not have at all, and their casts both end up much younger on average since not all of those party members are permanent.

Only FF6 actually has an older cast than 7 without just a token old character or two to skew the average. Even then, it also has four times as many characters below 20, and much older outliers than 7 does. Finally, adding either of the characters from 7 that I didn't count earlier due to unspecified age or being a special case would give 7 the highest median age in the series.

I'll just go ahead and :goonsay: myself

e: ^^^ I had no idea one of said two characters actually had a specified age.

Also I counted Red as a special case, if you don't then 7 has the oldest cast in every respect I think.

I'll also note that while 8 has by far the most teenagers with its 6 out of 6 teenagers cast, it was at least supposed to be high school drama. Then, 9 apparently started a trend of characters being canonically way younger than they give any impression of being, with pretty much everyone being the youngest age they could possibly, arguably be while still making some degree of sense.

Choray fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 19, 2011

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Choray posted:

Then, 9 apparently started a trend of characters being canonically way younger than they give any impression of being, with pretty much everyone being the youngest age they could possibly, arguably be while still making some degree of sense.
Where do folks get the ages from 9, anyway? Were they in the Ultimania guides? The ages certainly weren't in the instruction manual, and the only two characters with cited ages are Garnet and Eiko.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

The White Dragon posted:

Where do folks get the ages from 9, anyway? Were they in the Ultimania guides? The ages certainly weren't in the instruction manual, and the only two characters with cited ages are Garnet and Eiko.

I don't think there are any cited ages, and even then only one of your party members is ACTUALLY human, so it's not like it makes a big difference.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

kalonZombie posted:

I don't think there are any cited ages, and even then only one of your party members is ACTUALLY human, so it's not like it makes a big difference.
I know Amarant has bluish skin, but if he's not a human then what is he?

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Paracelsus posted:

I know Amarant has bluish skin, but if he's not a human then what is he?

Whatever the hell Brahne is. I mean, just because someone looks human in that game doesn't mean they ARE human. Even Blank and Marcus weren't human. Blank was a flesh golem, and Marcus was like a half-goblin or something.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Haha it was funny how Regent Cid's appearance as that frog thing was a plot point and was meant to be a shock for the characters when you first meet him, but he didn't look any more out of place than anyone else. In a world of monkey tails, elephant villagers and Quina...you would think anything goes! I'd rather be a frog than Queen Brahne; the obese hatechild of a neurotic Viking and Slimer from Ghostbusters.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

So apparently today (August 19) is Cloud Strife's birthday?

Say, in celebration, why don't we look back and see how these years have treated him?

Oh. Ohhh... :ohdear:

(Found both of these today and just thought I'd share. Additionally, look at the "characters" text in the upper right of the first image. Does anyone know where these are from?)

CARRIERHASARRIVED fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 20, 2011

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Final Fantasy 7 Generations. 60 hours of modern Cloud navel-gazing while classic Cloud actually gets poo poo done.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

CmdtCarpenter posted:

So apparently today (August 19) is Cloud Strife's birthday?

Say, in celebration, why don't we look back and see how these years have treated him?

Oh. Ohhh... :ohdear:

(Found both of these today and just thought I'd share. Additionally, look at the "characters" text in the upper right of the first image. Does anyone know where these are from?)

Man this pisses me off. I hate how Nomura has botched like every FFVII design since 1997. The "fist clenched, arm flexed" part made me laugh.

Olibu
Feb 24, 2008
The Cloud comparison is actually kind of depressing, for some reason. I was never even very attached to him as a character.

AndwhatIseeisme
Mar 30, 2010

Being alive is pretty much a constant stream of embarrassment.
Fun Shoe

CmdtCarpenter posted:

Cloud also seems to have forgotten which side of the blade is the sharp part judging from his grip on his sword

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font

CmdtCarpenter posted:

It's from the manual.

CARRIERHASARRIVED
Aug 25, 2010

AndwhatIseeisme posted:

Cloud also seems to have forgotten which side of the blade is the sharp part judging from his grip on his sword

I also like how it shows the original Cloud is ready for a fight: he's got the sword resting across his should, set to slash forward. The new Cloud though, he's got the sword more for show. He doesn't loving know how to use it, for gently caress's sake, he has the pointy end pointing at himself. At best he'll just club something on the head if he tries to use it, at worst, he'll slice off his arm.

That image just perfectly sums up what went wrong with Final Fantasy in a lot of ways.

edit:

FillInTheBlank posted:

It's from the manual.

Thanks. I have the original PSX jewel case, but I never looked through the manual greatest hits version (oops). That just seemed so terribly written/translated it couldn't have come from some kind of official source. I mean, 'You may not be able to befriend all the characters?'

Oh wait right, I forgot which game I was talking about.

CARRIERHASARRIVED fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 20, 2011

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Olibu posted:

The Cloud comparison is actually kind of depressing, for some reason.

To be fair, thats the artwork from Dissidia. A lot of the Hero characters have that bleak visage going in the artwork. The only ones that don't are pretty much the ones who are unusually upbeat to begin with(Tidus, Zidane, Laguna, etc.) Even the ones who are plot-wise the most determined just look like sad sacks in their portraits.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Then there's Kingdom Hearts Cloud.... :pwn:

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Schwartzcough posted:

Then there's Kingdom Hearts Cloud.... :pwn:

"If I wrap my sword in bandages, it cuts better." :downs:

Also, KH Cloud apparently borrowed some of Vincent's wardrobe because his SOLDIER uniform wasn't emo enough for the Mickey Mouse game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
We haven't met him yet. :ssh:

Also, there are way more retarded things you could do with that bigass sword, like hold on to it without swinging it, or only hit the the blunt side, or something retarded like that.

• Locked thread