Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

Seriously, light weight rail guns. Just fire some kind of piercing projectile through the front of them.

They weigh nothing, right? That means low density, so shoot a piercing shot upwards through the sternum into the dead zone.

Also, all scouting legion members: strap yourself with explosives, seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Vile posted:

http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/5/36

As far as I can tell the blades are just thrown away and replaced. It does say something about the blades being twisted around themselves many times to cut through Titan flesh, but I think that's probably a mistranslation of your standard Japanese hundred-folded blade.

Looking at that picture, there's something I never picked up before, that's obvious in hindsight. The rectangular thingies they wear on their thighs are magazines for spare sword blades.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

ArchDemon posted:

From the government's perspective that's a waste of valuable explosives. :v:

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

ArchDemon posted:

Seriously, light weight rail guns. Just fire some kind of piercing projectile through the front of them.

They weigh nothing, right? That means low density, so shoot a piercing shot upwards through the sternum into the dead zone.

Hey, they don't even have electricity. And they are shown as leaving deep footprints / knocking down buildings when falling on them--it's only the dead ones that are lightweight (they evaporate). Or it could be a plot hole.

However, I would advocate attacking at night. Seeing as they're solar powered and all.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I wonder where the Titans even go at night, though? Do they just sort of lie down and go into "hibernate"? Do they stop moving and stand still, like solar-powered robots? Do they return to the forest? They've never even been shown attacking at night, have they?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They probably just sit/lie down.

It makes sense. If the giants hunted 24/7 then going scouting further than a day's travel outside the walls would be complete suicide instead of only mostly suicide.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

DrSunshine posted:

I wonder where the Titans even go at night, though? Do they just sort of lie down and go into "hibernate"? Do they stop moving and stand still, like solar-powered robots? Do they return to the forest? They've never even been shown attacking at night, have they?

They do go lie down. One was lying down next to a house when a Scout squad woke it up.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I think I audibly gasped during the windmill fight. Say what you will about the art, when it needs to, it's damned effective.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

j4on posted:

Hey, they don't even have electricity. And they are shown as leaving deep footprints / knocking down buildings when falling on them--it's only the dead ones that are lightweight (they evaporate). Or it could be a plot hole.
I think the idea is just that they're comparatively very lightweight for an organic being of that size, rather than being literally light as paper. Otherwise the cannons would probably be a lot more effective as weapons as well, tearing titans into little pieces no matter where they hit.

It does answer the question of how an upscaled humanoid can actually support itself at least, something most stories involving giants don't really bother with.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Terry van Feleday posted:

It does answer the question of how an upscaled humanoid can actually support itself at least, something most stories involving giants don't really bother with.

:raise: I guess it does answer it with: "Shut up its manga"? Ohhhh so thats how the giant humanoids can support themselves, by not following the rules of biology and science!

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Scoobi posted:

:raise: I guess it does answer it with: "Shut up its manga"? Ohhhh so thats how the giant humanoids can support themselves, by not following the rules of biology and science!

Because spontaneously generating a 10+ meter tall flesh suit is normal stuff.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

Scoobi posted:

I guess I find it easier to suspend my disbelief for "it's magic" than for "we didn't really think about it and neither should you". v:shobon:v

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Schubalts posted:

They do go lie down. One was lying down next to a house when a Scout squad woke it up.

Then why the gently caress the scout legion goes out during daylight? Seems very stupid not to take advantage of the fact that titans are inactive at night.

Also, wanst that first strike of the colossal titan (when Eren mother is eaten) at night?

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
I got the impression that they were only able experiment
and research live titans recently. That crazy scout-scientist
didn't appear to have much information to go by until they had
fresh subjects.
Infact, it was one of her new experiments that points to titans being
sun-activated.

Without this knowledge, which is still only barely tested theory, it
only makes sense to go out during the day when so you could actually
see your impending sapient death. Better that their sweet cuddles and
kisses sneaking up to you in the night.

The connection implied to Ymir from the diary brings up some interesting
semi-baseless speculative thoughts. Assuming that Ymir isn't just a name
for the titans as a people.

I wonder if it could be a scientist that created them, but I'm leaning away
from a single human.
It could have been an ancient organization or even country from a
(pre)post-apocalyptic war or a self sustaining factory that continues to make the titans for warfare. I don't like this idea, not enough info.

Some of you know about Ymir from Norse mythology.
I'm leaning more towards Ymir being an even larger colossus that the titans are born from like polyps (like the giants in norse mythology springing from the festering sores of the sleeping primordial).

Ymir could also just be the name of the intelligent colossus. I still wonder whether the colossus is a human type, or if it's born from base titan intelligence.

Thinking about it, does the diary incident prove without a doubt that non-human controlled titans can possess intelligence? If so that could give a bit more credence to the idea that the Colossus could be made from intelligent Titans.

I still think it's human controlled, but I'm open to other possibilities.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Elias_Maluco posted:

Also, wanst that first strike of the colossal titan (when Eren mother is eaten) at night?

Didn't look that way at all.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Recursive Expanse posted:

Thinking about it, does the diary incident prove without a doubt that non-human controlled titans can possess intelligence? If so that could give a bit more credence to the idea that the Colossus could be made from intelligent Titans.

I still think it's human controlled, but I'm open to other possibilities.

I was thinking that only certain people can keep control after transforming. Eren doesnt have complete control and he seems to be special, so a normal person-turned-titan might not have control or even a way to change back. Those would be your average titans. The described deviants could be people with a little control, or at least be able to guide themselves a bit, then the intelligent titans would be people who have full control.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Luring the intelligent titan into a forest so thick it blocks sunlight was a pretty pro move. Here's hoping that the intelligence of a titan doesn't make it more resistant to solar deprivation.

e: Cause that'd suck for Eren too.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

TTBF posted:

Luring the intelligent titan into a forest so thick it blocks sunlight was a pretty pro move. Here's hoping that the intelligence of a titan doesn't make it more resistant to solar deprivation.

The experiment shows that larger titans take alot longer to run out of solar power. Hell, in the first chapter the scouting legion gets destroyed by a titan in that very forest.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
They aren't being lured into the forest because of sunlight, they are being lured in so that the Scouts can actually use their 3D gear to the best effect. Giant trees are better for Spidermaning than using the titans themselves.

But that's only if Rivaille is right, as nobody is being told anything except to follow orders.

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009
Does anyone else think that Rivaille is being set up to die? I mean, he's the most badass character so far, able to take out multiple regular Titans with ease. Wouldn't put it past this manga to make him sort of the Kamina to Eren's Simon, so to speak.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Or he gets taken out to show how powerful some new titan is.

He might die but I think he'll be around for a while.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

If he does die, there's no one else on the force they could trust to take down Eren, and they'd have to put him down too. So he probably can't die at least until that mistrust is allayed.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Cbouncerrun posted:

Or he gets taken out to show how powerful some new titan is.

He might die but I think he'll be around for a while.

Eh, they've already shown how powerful it is. All the standard tactics just don't work because the titan is aware of them, how their gear works, etc. He's great at what he does, and that's killing dumb titans but using his death to illustrate the titan's power... Well, that's been done over and over again.

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I think the main city's elite are behind the Titans, as they use fear to control the populace. Eren's Dad knew this, and when he wife was killed he started a group to use Titan power against the elite, but at the cost of everyone that stands between them. Eren is on a course that will put him right in the middle of it all.

That's my wild speculation anyway.

Recursive Expanse
May 4, 2011
Could it be possible that one of the reasons titans eat humans is so that they can some how become the "intelligent titans"? Could the deviants be titans that have the ability to fuse with a human, and under the right conditions, the devoured human could take control?

One of the reasons I think this could be the case is that Eren only became a titan after being devoured.

The experiments that Eren's father were doing to him could have perfected the conditions for this to happen. After all, Eren always wanted to become a scout, so Eren's father knew that he could eventually be eaten.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
But...he didn't become the titan that ate him? And considering the huge numbers of giants that are eating people you'd think there would be more than the three or four known intelligent titans if that was the case?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

EthanSteele posted:

But...he didn't become the titan that ate him? And considering the huge numbers of giants that are eating people you'd think there would be more than the three or four known intelligent titans if that was the case?

There might be. They might have just not shown up, or maybe they're not as interested in humans.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
There might also be giants that fly or have fifty eyes. Based on what we've seen so far the eating people to become intelligent thing doesn't make sense. The huge titan did the Eren disappearing act and that is pointing to other people that are like Eren and can summon a giant body and control it rather than they eat people and then that person explodes out of them (killing them) as an intelligent titan that can then stop being a titan and be a regular person. As a goal it doesn't make sense. Eating someone as a catalyst to set off whatever thing makes them be able to turn into giant works for multiple reasons, but as the goal you are working toward it doesn't really work.

I mean, it's possible because the author has shown very little about anything at all, but it just..no.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I'm getting the feeling the whole reason they are out there is to oust/get clues on who/what the traitors are. Didn't the sentient titan appear on a flank where one of the maps said Eren would be?

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
http://www.mangareader.net/shingeki-no-kyojin/22

New Chapter out

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh gently caress you, why you gotta stop right there! :stare:

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Wtf kind of perspective was that last shot

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Umm, is the art getting worst or is it just me?

Sloth Socks
May 13, 2005

dangling is the finest of all the arts in all the worlds

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like the terribleness of his art works well for the Titans, with their freakish proportions and disturbing faces, but on the normal folks, it just looks...odd. Like there's always that one guy who has a weird face in the group scenes, you think he might be a secret tiny Titan.

I really feel like this could have benefited from two artists, one doing the Titans and the other doing the humans.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'm really liking these fluid back and forth flashes. It works really nice for filling in background details while keeping the pace of the ongoing stuff at the same time.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I'm enjoying the giants loving people up.

Like the guy in the last chapter that got turned into a human smear on that tree.

Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Wtf kind of perspective was that last shot

Yeah, I'm honestly confused about the proportions in the shot where Eren suddenly turns into a giant at the end of the chapter. Initially, it seems like his human form grew along with the giant's skeletal frame, but in the next shot, he's the same size as Rivalle.

Can anyone explain what is happening there?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Pigasus posted:

Yeah, I'm honestly confused about the proportions in the shot where Eren suddenly turns into a giant at the end of the chapter. Initially, it seems like his human form grew along with the giant's skeletal frame, but in the next shot, he's the same size as Rivalle.

Can anyone explain what is happening there?

There's a slightly large human torso hanging out of his arm. Not a particularly gargantuan one like usual. Just an unnaturally big one.

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

It's basically uncontrollable growth.

Also, this chapter was emotionally awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

I like the inconsistent art. It fits the setting somehow.