Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Doom Catcher posted:

I have a pair of jeans that do this. They're the most comfortable pair, minus the sag-crotch and that they fall down a lot on the second wear.

All of my other maternity pants are great though, so I'm not sure. I'm hoping that once I pop some more, they'll fit better because I love them lol.

I've been having this problem with my maternity jeans, too. So I started wearing my belly band on top of the jeans around my hips, and that really helps my pants stay up. As a bonus, I feel like the extra smushing/support helps with the aches and pains I get by the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
I used the belly band with maternity jeans for a while. And then one day I woke up and put them on and the panel fit perfectly due to a belly growth spurt. I think I got lucky with the jeans I have, because the butt and hips fit well enough that I don't get saggage. Or it might be because I'm normally pear-shaped and have a very curvy rear end and hips. (Now I'm pear-that-swallowed-a-pumpkin-shaped.)

My favorite thing about maternity pants is trying some on that are too big, and getting horrifying pleated camel toe in the front!

My belly button is an almost-outie at 29 weeks and 5 days. It's pretty awesome and gross. I can push it out by tightening my "ab muscles."

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion!

MoCookies posted:

I've been having this problem with my maternity jeans, too. So I started wearing my belly band on top of the jeans around my hips, and that really helps my pants stay up. As a bonus, I feel like the extra smushing/support helps with the aches and pains I get by the end of the day.

Thanks! I'm going to buy one and try this

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

MoCookies posted:

That's a FANTASTIC idea! I wore them to a festival today and they worked pretty well, but I had to hike whenever I got up or sat down. That would help!

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

It's amazing and comforting just how much information you can find online by simply adding "and pregnancy" at the end of your search terms on Google.

For instance, "Bread mold and pregnancy" brings up helpful information on how I'll be perfectly fine after eating that piece of toast I didn't notice had mold on it. It was dark in the kitchen in my defense.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

MoCookies posted:

Holy crap, thank you so much for this tip. I've felt stupid having to hike up my maternity pants every time I stand up, but I did the stretchy pants/belly band combo today and they stayed up! Hooray!

Wafer
Sep 3, 2002

The Other Wife Meat posted:

Lots of good stuff

Ok, so that was a few days ago, and a lot of poo poo has gone down.

Maya is not on CPAP. She was on it for a minute or so after birth but not after that. Breathing on her own? Check.

She's regulating her body temp, so she's out of the isolette. Big Girl Crib? Check.

One of her IV's was infiltrated and she pulled out the next two. The nurses didn't think she needed a new one and talked the doctors into not putting in a fourth. Off the IV? Check.

So really, as for my understanding of things, all she's got to do is eat. They started some of that yesterday and they'll work on it more now. She's back above her birth weight, almost 4 pounds. Feeding tube out? No check, but working on it.

As far as I know, she never had any apnea or bradycardia events.

On the issue of my son, Julian is getting better, but still has moments of wanting only Mommy to help him with something. We've had some good conversations about how he has to be extra helpful to Mommy and how he can do that, but I've never solicited his thoughts on the matter. That's a great idea I'll have to try. But honestly, most of his spells come when he's tired or hungry or already cranky about something else. When he's well rested and full, he's actually really awesome.

My wife did have an infection from the C-Section and the ER wanted to admit her to do IV antibiotics, but the L&D on-call was all "hells no she's been through enough send her home." Which was actually nice to not be there anymore.

Main Wife
Oct 25, 2005

Dont fuck with me
Good to hear from you! I figured a lot of what I mentioned would not apply - mine was a 26-weeker - but I like to err on the side of too much information.

So feeding, which as I am sure you know by now they do reeally slowly. it will be easier since she's not on O2 and thus can have the feeding tube in her nose, freeing up her mouth for all that learning to eat. They'll start with one and increase from there as she will tolerate it. And then the car seat test. About the 5lb thing I mentioned, I've seen kids go home at 4lb, and some at 9. It's just that so many people assume 5 pounds is a magical all-clear healthy baby thing, especially those in the 50+ age range.

Glad things are better with the boy, and that your wife is on the mend. Ugh, as much as I didn't want to leave I think if they'd tried to put me back in once I'd gotten out, I'd have broken things. Glad they saw some sense.

One final thing, in case she was feeling like she might get gypped out of the baby wheelchair ride - at my hospital, at least, we got one when we left after 118 days. I could almost feel the other moms looking at me wondering where the baby weight was - having only gained 10lb in the first place, I never had that still-pregnant look after I had him. But still - baby wheelchair ride yayyyy!

Wafer
Sep 3, 2002

Yesterday, they used the wrong nipple on the bottle and she got too much and just quit trying. Then this morning with the ultra-slow flow nipple, she took 22 ml. Only about 7 from me, the rest from the nurse, so she only had to do 15 by feeding tube.

And I forgot to mention she's at 4 lbs now. That's like a quarter pounder she's added already.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.
Wife is currently at 36 weeks. Swelling is getting pretty bad, she drinks at least 64 oz of water a day. She works on her feet 4-6 hours 4 times a week. She doesn't exercise at all, but she does elevate her feet and take lukewarm baths for the swelling. Plus I rub her feet as much as she wants.

What are other ways to reduce swelling/ prevent it?

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.

HClChicken posted:

Wife is currently at 36 weeks. Swelling is getting pretty bad, she drinks at least 64 oz of water a day. She works on her feet 4-6 hours 4 times a week. She doesn't exercise at all, but she does elevate her feet and take lukewarm baths for the swelling. Plus I rub her feet as much as she wants.

She could try support hose. She should put it on before she gets out of bed so that no blood is pooling in her feet.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

I'm so excited - called and scheduled my anatomic scan for the 7th of September!!

If it is visible, we do wish to find out the gender. I will be 19w3d.

Anyone exited to find out? Anyone wanting a surprise? I will be equally happy no matter what, but I have two step sons so I'd like to round it out with a girl since I'm about to hit 33, and personal preference I will only have this one child ( maybe one more before 35)

So we kinda want to find out. My fiancé thinks it's a boy, I think it's a girl and he keeps slipping and calling my niece the girls name we picked!

It is finally starting to feel more real now that even if we can't see gender, I'll finally see images of the kiddo that look like a human instead of a weird bean :) plus I am nearly halfway there!

How many of you were NOT able to determine gender?

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

I had the anatomical scan last week. The baby wasn't in a tight fetal position at first so it was easy to find the penis (it's a boy) but after the tech did some scanning, the baby got into a tight fetal position with legs crossed - I don't think the baby liked being poked at so much. Once the baby was curled up, it was a lot harder to find a good angle but the tech was able to find the penis again to show my mom who came later.

For me, seeing the baby wave his arms and yawn and move around was even better than finding out the gender. Now when I feel the baby move I can imagine how he's positioned and what he's doing.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

HClChicken posted:

If she hasn't already, cut out all caffeine and cut out as much salt as possible. When she sits, she should keep her legs softly bent or extended all the way rather than bending at a sharp angle, and definitely no crossing her legs. Wear shoes and clothing that aren't too constricting - The only exception is support hose which will be tight all over rather than just in certain spots. There have been times that even flip-flops were too constricting for my swollen feet and I had to kick them off for a break. She should take every opportunity to rest and put her feet up.

Otherwise it sounds like she's doing the right things, though even 4 times a week may be too much work for her body right now. If there's any way she can cut back or take early leave, this may be her body's way of telling her to do so.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
Had our anatomical scan on Thursday and it looks like we're having another girl! I'm surprised, my gut was saying boy, but this is good because I have enough girl clothes for ten babies, and our house is only two bedroom, the girls can share a room indefinitely. We've tentatively picked a name now too - Sadie Anne.

I'm 19 weeks now and so far have not gained any weight, which is a good thing, because I was overweight in the first place. Despite not gaining anything, I am quite visibly pregnant already. This whole thing is finally starting to sink in, that we're going to have two little girls running around soon. :)

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.

Doom Catcher posted:

My kid was flaunting his baby-junk all over the place in such an obvious manner that the tech was worried we WOULDN'T want to know. We did, though, so it was all good.

My aunt called and asked what we wanted for the shower, and I think she's going to get us some of the cloth diapering supplies. :) That will be really nice.

Also... I can't believe I have only 10 weeks to go now. :aaaaa: Unfortunately, I've found it true that it's not that fun anymore once you hit the third trimester. I'm at the point where I can't wait to have "me" back. Or at least drink a beer and sleep on my stomach. And obviously I'm looking forward to meeting my little dude.

Kubricize
Apr 29, 2010

Doom Catcher posted:

We never found out. The first two to try were failures, she just mooned us with her legs folded up tightly. After that, it was never a big deal. I doubt I'll find out when we decide to have other kids. Rarely in life do you get really nice surprises like that, and with all the gender neutral clothing it's easy to dress a kid without sticking them in the 'wrong' colours. This makes us the odds one out though, since everyone and their dog finds out the gender for their baby at like 16 weeks here if possible.

Doom Catcher
Sep 11, 2001

Kubricize posted:

We never found out. The first two to try were failures, she just mooned us with her legs folded up tightly. After that, it was never a big deal. I doubt I'll find out when we decide to have other kids. Rarely in life do you get really nice surprises like that, and with all the gender neutral clothing it's easy to dress a kid without sticking them in the 'wrong' colours. This makes us the odds one out though, since everyone and their dog finds out the gender for their baby at like 16 weeks here if possible.

16! I mean I know it's possible, but I thought 18-22 was the best "window" to be big enough but before it gets too cramped in there. And that if it's a girl it's definitely not as easy to confirm as a boy.

I don't want more ultrasounds that I need because my insurance only covers 3, so I decided to wait til 19.

Main Wife
Oct 25, 2005

Dont fuck with me
With my first son we had been told we were having a girl, we'd named her, had her room all done. We found out we'd lost "her" at 37.5 weeks, delivered, and then got the big shock that it was a boy. That messed with my head more than anything in the early days.

And then Alex had the WOW is that a boy ultrasound. If they'd said girl again I'd have gotten a bunch of gender-neutral stuff, probably. Girls do seem to be harder to confirm than boys.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
I've got the weirdest food cravings/morning sickness with this pregnancy. It's not about what I do want to eat, it's about what I do NOT want, which makes it really hard to find something to eat. Also, I can eat something once and be fine, but if I try to eat it again in the future, all of a sudden just thinking about or looking at it makes me want to throw up. For example, I ordered some chicken lo mein from my favorite Chinese place for lunch, and even though the first bites tasted amazing, I wound up tossing more than half of a large box of it because the leftovers were nauseating to me.

Does anyone have any ideas of meals to try that are bland but have some variety? I don't want to spend the next up-to-7 months living off of brothy soups, cereal, peanut butter crackers and fruit.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Do you like fish at all? I have an amazing salmon recipe that makes it taste not at all very salmony. http://www.kalofagas.ca/2010/04/21/salmon-with-artichokes-potatoes/ Although I experience the same thing--I crave this every few weeks and then after that day, I don't even want to look at the leftovers. Also, Greek potatoes--chopped up, put in a casserole, add lemon juice and olive oil, bake, and add oregano. Very mild and perfection.

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 23, 2011

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

vanessa posted:

I've got the weirdest food cravings/morning sickness with this pregnancy. It's not about what I do want to eat, it's about what I do NOT want, which makes it really hard to find something to eat. Also, I can eat something once and be fine, but if I try to eat it again in the future, all of a sudden just thinking about or looking at it makes me want to throw up. For example, I ordered some chicken lo mein from my favorite Chinese place for lunch, and even though the first bites tasted amazing, I wound up tossing more than half of a large box of it because the leftovers were nauseating to me.

Does anyone have any ideas of meals to try that are bland but have some variety? I don't want to spend the next up-to-7 months living off of brothy soups, cereal, peanut butter crackers and fruit.

I had lots and lots of aversions, especially to meat, during my pregnancy. I ate a ton of eggs, cheese, brown rice, fruits and veggies, and drank almost a half gallon of milk a day. Not very interesting, I know, but it tasted SO good while pregnant! I have never gained back a love for red meat, either; I can tolerate it now, but I don't crave it ever.

An example day for me during pregnancy was:
AM snack - protein shake (if I tried to eat solid food early it always came back up)
Breakfast - a couple of hard boiled eggs and some fruit.
Mid-morning snack - handful of nuts
Lunch - Salad with cheese and hard boiled eggs, fruit
Mid-afternoon snack - another protein shake
Dinner - something with cheese or beans as the main protein, or fish a few times a week.
Before bed snack - some more easy protein.

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 23, 2011

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Fire In The Disco posted:

I had lots and lots of aversions, especially to meat, during my pregnancy. I ate a ton of eggs, cheese, brown rice, fruits and veggies, and drank almost a half gallon of milk a day. Not very interesting, I know, but it tasted SO good while pregnant! I have never gained back a love for red meat, either; I can tolerate it now, but I don't crave it ever.

An example day for me during pregnancy was:
AM snack - protein shake (if I tried to eat solid food early it always came back up)
Breakfast - a couple of hard boiled eggs and some fruit.
Mid-morning snack - handful of nuts
Lunch - Salad with cheese and hard boiled eggs, fruit
Mid-afternoon snack - another protein shake
Dinner - something with cheese or beans as the main protein, or fish a few times a week.
Before bed snack - some more easy protein.

Something like this is a really good idea, and has worked well for me too. I've found the more protein I eat, the better I feel. Greek yogurt and milk have also been go-to foods for me the last few months. Getting enough veggies into my daily meals is probably the toughest thing; it seems to be easier if I work it into breakfast (like an omelet with lots of onion, peppers, etc.) and I try to eat veggies for snacks as much as I can. Mostly, I just want to eat tacos, cheeseburgers, and coffee cake, though. It's a daily struggle.

Still - if something turns your stomach, don't force yourself to eat it. When you're pregnant, you're much more susceptible to food-borne illnesses, and the whole sense of smell pregnancy superpower is protective, from an evolutionary standpoint. :science:

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.
Hard boiled eggs turn me off right now, but I think an omelet would be okay since the white and yolk are mixed.

The salmon idea was great; I love salmon and there are lots of ways to make it flavorful without the spices being overpowering. Lean meats don't seem to turn my stomach; I got a turkey sandwich for lunch today and while the bread tasted nasty to me, the turkey tasted pretty good so I was pretty much just nibbling that. I'll probably just focus on putting together lean meat or fish with light side dishes.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
You may become less sensitive the farther you progress into your pregnancy - During the first and early second trimesters I was nauseous constantly and I ate the same things over and over because everything else grossed me out. Once I passed that phase, most of my favorites foods became interesting again, although there are certain foods which will still turn my stomach (red meat, mostly). That being said, during my aversion-to-everything phase, I ate a LOT of plain cubed or shredded chicken, and rice. Usually together. Turkey sandwiches were a big hit too (be sure to microwave any deli meats to protect against listeria), some fish, and most cheeses were still yummy to me. I could usually tolerate bagels or toast for breakfast. Add in things like nuts and dried fruit for snacks and you can scrape together a fairly decent variety of foods to get by until the aversions go away.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

MoCookies posted:

Something like this is a really good idea, and has worked well for me too. I've found the more protein I eat, the better I feel. Greek yogurt and milk have also been go-to foods for me the last few months. Getting enough veggies into my daily meals is probably the toughest thing; it seems to be easier if I work it into breakfast (like an omelet with lots of onion, peppers, etc.) and I try to eat veggies for snacks as much as I can. Mostly, I just want to eat tacos, cheeseburgers, and coffee cake, though. It's a daily struggle.

Still - if something turns your stomach, don't force yourself to eat it. When you're pregnant, you're much more susceptible to food-borne illnesses, and the whole sense of smell pregnancy superpower is protective, from an evolutionary standpoint. :science:

Yup, totally agree here, especially the part I bolded. Also, if you're making an omelet, julienne up a ton of raw spinach leaves or drain really well frozen spinach and add it in. It's honestly not noticeable, besides the obvious look, and leafy greens are so good for you.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

So, this is a sensitive question, but how does one go about dealing with their uh...more sensitive bladder? Coughing, laughing, sneezing...they're all becoming a bit hazardous to my pants. Any tips?

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.
We really want to try cloth diapering, and I'm sort of confused/overwhelmed by all of the options out there. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good cloth diapering resource? There are so many different brands and varieties, and I don't even really grasp the basics yet - for instance, if I get a set of BumGenius or FuzziBunz diapers, do I also need the 6-ply prefolds or some kind of liner to put underneath them? How many of each thing do I need? Is a sprayer really necessary? AHHH :supaburn:

I have to say, all of the comments we've received when we mention cloth diapering ("oh, we'll see how long that lasts" and the like) only make us MORE determined to stick with it. I've also gotten comments from my husband's side of the family about how I shouldn't even try to breastfeed, and that our decision not to circumcise will "cause problems later." I just have to sit there with a forced smile on my face as I watch these people give their babies and toddlers sips of beer.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

So, this is a sensitive question, but how does one go about dealing with their uh...more sensitive bladder? Coughing, laughing, sneezing...they're all becoming a bit hazardous to my pants. Any tips?

Panty liners and Kegels.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

I've already learned to tune out what a lot of other people say about child care and how they raise their kids. Lots of people think that their way is the only way. The thought that someone might have a different idea never even crosses their mind.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Dr. Octagon posted:

I have to say, all of the comments we've received when we mention cloth diapering ("oh, we'll see how long that lasts" and the like) only make us MORE determined to stick with it. I've also gotten comments from my husband's side of the family about how I shouldn't even try to breastfeed, and that our decision not to circumcise will "cause problems later." I just have to sit there with a forced smile on my face as I watch these people give their babies and toddlers sips of beer.

It's pretty overwhelming trying to figure out which product(s) are going to work for you, but I'm in the same boat with annoying comments from my family. I find it really obnoxious how people who know nothing about cloth diapering, other than that they're diapers and somehow involve washing cloth, feel completely free to tell me I'm stupid, CD is stupid, and that I'll never stick with it. Luckily, my husband is totally on-board and is pretty much the only other person who will be changing diapers on a regular basis anyway. I've heard from tons of people who like cloth diapering, and very few who have said, "It's a good idea, but just didn't work out for our family."

For what it's worth, I think we're going to use prefolds from Green Mountain Diapers with Bummis covers, and maybe half a dozen pocket diapers from Applecheeks.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
So my wife told me a couple days ago that she was pregnant with our first child together, now I have a step-daughter who is two, whom I've been a part of her life since she was 9 months old, but this will be my first experience with a new born.

So.. what can I expect during the pregnancy that I should prepare for?

Wafer
Sep 3, 2002

Lazaruise posted:

So my wife told me a couple days ago that she was pregnant with our first child together, now I have a step-daughter who is two, whom I've been a part of her life since she was 9 months old, but this will be my first experience with a new born.

Do exactly as she says. Do not piss her off, and do not test her limits.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Wafer posted:

Do exactly as she says. Do not piss her off, and do not test her limits.

This. If you read back a few pages, you can read some of our pregnancy rage stories. Every pregnancy is different. She could feel fine through out the pregnancy or throw up every day for several months. The third trimester brings its own set of problems, like swelling feet. My husband has just been taking things as they come and has been very accommodating but he hasn't done much reading or research. Another thing I've noticed in this thread is that a lot of us have some kind of problem with our family, so make sure to take her side on every issue.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Thankfully my wife's pregnancy has been pretty calm. She's had some nausea all throughout it and now her feel are starting to to swell up a lot. Aside from that she's been about the same as usual.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

Dr. Octagon posted:

I hate this. I want to punch anyone who says this kind of crap to me. However, I'm still pregnant so I'm sure hormones have a lot to do with this dramatic reaction. I've taken to just not bringing it up, or if someone asks (or notices that I have cloth diapers on my registry), I just say "We'll be doing a mix of cloth and disposable to save money and help the environment." That is USUALLY matter-of-fact enough to keep the comments at bay, but there's always the occasional jerk who wants to shoot down our ideas.

I've had the same issues with being really overwhelmed with all of the options, so I just registered for several different types of diapers - All in ones, prefolds, covers, disposables, a sprayer, extra liners, etc. I figure the only way I will know which kind of prefer is to try them all. We do plan on using a mix to start out with, and then as we figure out what works best for us, we'll stock up more on that particular type.

Lazaruise posted:

Like everyone else has said, just be as supportive as you can. She's going to be feeling her entire body change very suddenly, and she can't even cope with changes the way she normally would because her hormones will be changing her emotional responses and she may not even be aware of it. It goes a long way just to be sympathetic to those changes and tell her you know it's hard and that you're there for her. Be involved. Offer foot rubs. Don't be upset if she needs you to get her a watermelon at 3am. Offer to help out around the house more. Tell her she looks beautiful often, because she's going to feel fat and frumpy.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Bah, I'm still pregnant. Didn't there used to be a list of labor starters at the beginning of the thread? Did I miss it? I think I wouldn't be so bothered about it if the doctors hadn't hammered home the "any day now." I've been sitting at fully effaced, 2.5 cm dilated, dropped baby for two freakin' weeks!

Then I get kind of scared about the whole giving birth thing and worry I'm not up to it. So maybe another day isn't so bad. :sigh:

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
People will tell you a long list of things that "worked" for them but who knows if they were going to have the baby that day anyway. Are you overdue?

Fresh pineapple is supposed to do it. Spicy foods. Sex. Walking. Waiting works for sure ;)

My first was 10 days late.
My second was 4 days late.
My third was 16 days late.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007

yawnie posted:

she can't even cope with changes the way she normally would because her hormones will be changing her emotional responses and she may not even be aware of it.

This especially. I am not a very "girly" woman most of the time, but lately I get actually WEEPY at things, especially tiny things that want love or "family drama resolved" type shows. There was a commercial on where they had a bunch of cats with computerized mouths talking about how all they want is a nice lap to lay on and cuddles and a HOME and oh my god I was crying half way through it. I told my husband to get in the car we're going to get ALL THE KITTIES NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

People will tell you a long list of things that "worked" for them but who knows if they were going to have the baby that day anyway. Are you overdue?

Fresh pineapple is supposed to do it. Spicy foods. Sex. Walking. Waiting works for sure ;)

My first was 10 days late.
My second was 4 days late.
My third was 16 days late.

Yes oh my god yes. Everyone and their aged grandmother had some magic trick that worked for them, from acupuncture to zebra-riding. Well, maybe not that. But when you're overdue the baby WILL come soon no matter what, and people just remember the last thing they tried and credit that for starting labor. Mine was 9 days late so I got all the well meaning tips.