Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

glug posted:

Please tell me these actually flow so we can huck finn this poo poo.
Probably not unless he changed water physics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Amppelix posted:

That tree in the bottom center has a massive fungal infection problem, what's up with that? Someone on the last page mentioned giant mushrooms? That's kinda jarring to see in the forest.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Kuroshi posted:

That tree in the bottom center has a massive fungal infection problem, what's up with that?

I believe it's one of the giant mushrooms he's adding.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

csidle posted:

Is there a sketch program that is useful for sketching out blueprints for buildings? I've used Excel in the past but that was pretty useless.

There's minedraft but its so horribly outdated.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

quiggy posted:

I believe it's one of the giant mushrooms he's adding.

The mushrooms look kind of lovely (I've seen better ones that people mocked up when hearing about their addition) but I think it's cool that Notch is trying to make the world more fantastical.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Iacen posted:

I'm trying to recreate the lighthouse design from this site: http://www.kevblog.co.uk/minecraft-piston-lighthouse/

By following the picture, I can make the bottom of the lighthouse to work, as it should be identical to the top, but I can't figure out how to get the current to go up to the top, not to mention where to place the button that starts the entire thing.
I think the video attached blast through the wiring too quickly, so that doesn't exactly help me.

Has anyone built this thing and could post some pictures of the workings?
Keep in mind that this is my very first redstone project, so keep words like flip-flops, T-switches and stuff like that light, okay?

Just a warning: this thing needs resetting each time the server goes down, and possibly even if no one is in the chunk I believe.

We have one on Wilson's server (http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3373040&pagenumber=76#lastpost) if you care to look. I'd tell you more about the internal working sof it, but I didn't make it!

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Aug 18, 2011

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Tuxedo Jack posted:

http://sketchup.google.com/ Maybe?

Building on this:

http://www.mcschematics.com/index.php?topic=1246.0

Furnok Dorn
Mar 30, 2004
SOCIALLY WORTHLESS SHUT-IN NERD
Some friends and myself have a server for our town, and my one friend is a fantastic VFX artist so he made a quick little render of our world:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMzR_Wh3zYw

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'm assuming the color coding is biomes.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

csidle posted:

Is there a sketch program that is useful for sketching out blueprints for buildings? I've used Excel in the past but that was pretty useless.

Minecraft Structure Planner comes to mind. http://minecraftstructureplanner.com/

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Al! posted:

Buildable boats in a similar vein to the zeppelin mod would be both incredibly awesome and way beyond Mojang's purview.

I imagine the rivers and nearby terrain/trees would not really be big enough for giant boats to go down easily. That'd be a mod along with tweaks to make your rivers monster-wide and give clearance.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

pseudorandom name posted:

I'm assuming the color coding is biomes.

Look at the size of those oceans... holy poo poo, this is pretty awesome.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

edit: this is a pretty drastic change in worldgen code; does anyone know if this will be compatible with existing maps? I'd love to have real oceans and continents added to the fringes of our existing map, without having to start all over.

Amppelix posted:

Oh gently caress yes notch

E: this pic also has

This reminds me a bit of machu pichu, where the river winds around the mountain exactly like that (panorama here, nearly the same angle http://imgur.com/5VXhx)

Is all of that water at Y: 63/64? :smith: This just looks like a watery ravine (not that I mind).

If the scale of those islands/deep oceans are correct, it looks like we'll finally be getting proper island continents ala FF 6 style?

vs

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Aug 18, 2011

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Just a warning: this thing needs resetting each time the server goes down, and possibly even if no one is in the chunk I believe.

Notch needs to crank out an 'observer' block. Doesn't do anything, but simulates a player always standing at that spot. It would solve a lot of problems.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

BobTheJanitor posted:

Notch needs to crank out an 'observer' block. Doesn't do anything, but simulates a player always standing at that spot. It would solve a lot of problems.

Since of the best uses for that would be to ensure crops grow, it could be a scarecrow!

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Hadlock posted:

edit: this is a pretty drastic change in worldgen code; does anyone know if this will be compatible with existing maps? I'd love to have real oceans and continents added to the fringes of our existing map, without having to start all over.

This reminds me a bit of machu pichu, where the river winds around the mountain exactly like that (panorama here, nearly the same angle http://imgur.com/5VXhx)

Is all of that water at Y: 63/64? :smith: This just looks like a watery ravine (not that I mind).

If the scale of those islands/deep oceans are correct, it looks like we'll finally be getting proper island continents ala FF 6 style?

vs

This is really cool. I've been dying for a world gen that spits out stuff like the image and has continents and oceans.

Reveilled posted:

Since of the best uses for that would be to ensure crops grow, it could be a scarecrow!

Hell yes!

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

Hadlock posted:

vs

Considering he has changed biome code it is very possible biomes on old maps may get messed up and be in all the wrong places (snow biome on top of a desert)

On top of that he has completely changed the base world gen so you will very likely get a very obvious looking cut off point between the new and old gen but it would still be compatible (new stuff would only generate in new chunks, with the new generation)

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
I just want this adventure update to come out already. Hey, do you guys remember back when pistons were originally going to be a part of that update? Man, I'm glad we got a little something early.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

The scarecrow could be made out of a pumpkin, a wheat, and four sticks. Alternatively, replace the wheat with a snow block and get a snow man.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Reveilled posted:

Or he could just make the game compare the chunk's last load time to the current time and quickly simulate the missing time.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Or he could just make the game compare the chunk's last load time to the current time and quickly simulate the missing time.

If it would handle not despawning mobs, that could work.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Insanity Prawn posted:

There shouldn't really be any complex wiring for this. I whipped these up quickly, hopefully it helps. for the bottom layer:

The button can go wherever really, as long as it leads into that bottom corner and the dirt steps on the side, are how you get the redstone to the next floor.

The next floors pretty much the same:

The wire comes in from the same side it did on the bottom floor, via the steps.

I tried this out and it seemed to work fine for me.

Edit: I just noticed I'm missing one piece of redstone between the two repeaters on the far left, but by the sounds of things, you already had that part of the wiring down anyway. (also two of my pistons in the second picture are facing the wrong way :shobon:)

Thanks for this. It was nice to see that my layout was right. I fiddled a bit with it and now it works!
Now I just need to put a cap on the lighthouse and I got myself a nice lighthouse.

Plotz is a way nicer method of making buildings than my normal method (aka. plopping down blocks in a square and hope it doesn't look too much like poo poo.)

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Wouldn't that massively increase chunk loading times? The game's massively unoptimised as it is.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

It's a tiny bit of math for each furnace, crop, sapling, cactus, and reed.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

It's a tiny bit of math for each furnace, crop, sapling, cactus, and reed.

What i mean is that given that it's already a bit sluggish, adding anything on top, no matter how trivial it may seem, can't really end well, as good as the idea is.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

Bellend Sebastian posted:

What i mean is that given that it's already a bit sluggish, adding anything on top, no matter how trivial it may seem, can't really end well, as good as the idea is.

The only fundamentally performance-inhibiting aspect of Minecraft is the chunk loading, since that's limited by hard drive IO times. The CPU stuff wouldn't be a problem if Notch made the game support multiple-core CPUs.

Then again, based on the Minecraft Youtube videos I've seen, most people are running Minecraft on a P3 at 15 FPS.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

If you're asking Notch to program things that perform well, you're already off in left field somewhere.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Bellend Sebastian posted:

The game already has to search chunks for blocks of note (i.e. furnaces, saplings, cactuses, crops, reeds, etc.) at load time, doing a bit of math when they're found would be lost in the noise.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Considering the plan is to eventually convert SSP into a local SMP game, that'd probably make it easier.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Vinigre posted:

I just want this adventure update to come out already. Hey, do you guys remember back when pistons were originally going to be a part of that update? Man, I'm glad we got a little something early.
I was one of the ones bitching that he should just put it in the Adventure update so that they wouldn't have to spend time bugfixing pistons because they released it to early. My foresight is poo poo.

Amppelix posted:

Oh gently caress yes notch
Mountain climbing picks, please.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I agree that the mushroom looks out of place. It'd be nice if they were in underground forests or something like that. Still, at least it will add some new variety to the game. Glad to see world generation is being improved as well to result in more interesting stuff.

With all these changes to the surface I wonder if the underground will be getting some new additions as well. It is where a lot of people end up spending their time.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

So I just now found out about Zan Mini Map from the 2b2t.net thread. Would this qualify as a utility to put in the OP? I've only played around with it for a few minutes, but in addition to having an overworld map, it allows you to set waypoints and then toggle them on and off. Perhaps most important, it allows you to move your X/Y/Z coordinates to the upper right corner so you don't have to walk around with F3 enabled all of the time.

..or am I just really late to the party?

I'm not a big fan of installing mods, but this seems to work flawlessly on SMP servers

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/91544-173jul-8-lahwrans-mods-zanminimap-0105-aether-blocks/

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Internet Kraken posted:

I agree that the mushroom looks out of place. It'd be nice if they were in underground forests or something like that. Still, at least it will add some new variety to the game. Glad to see world generation is being improved as well to result in more interesting stuff.

With all these changes to the surface I wonder if the underground will be getting some new additions as well. It is where a lot of people end up spending their time.

There are supposed to be underground ravines and better dungeons - by that I mean they're using the new brick blocks and perhaps iron gates.

Which reminds me, I think that a good recurring theme for community-based additions is for Jeb and Notch to add new blocks that have cropped up frequently across different skins. Iron gates (frequently replacing iron doors) and stone brick blocks are the two that I can think of, and those are coming in 1.8. There are also those Egyptian-like hieroglyphs that always get added to sandstone blocks. That'd be interesting if he was making biome-altered dungeons. Basically, you'd have sandstone walls and the hieroglyphs would replace the mossy cobble. :spergin:

Edit:

glug posted:

Please tell me these actually flow so we can huck finn this poo poo.

fondue posted:

Probably not unless he changed water physics.
He mentioned adding rivers to the worldgen a few weeks back, referring to these - did he even mention water flow? I thought he did, but I think I'm remembering incorrectly. I think it was on Google+.

moondust fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Aug 19, 2011

DaftPVF
Aug 14, 2011

Hadlock posted:

So I just now found out about Zan Mini Map from the 2b2t.net thread. Would this qualify as a utility to put in the OP? I've only played around with it for a few minutes, but in addition to having an overworld map, it allows you to set waypoints and then toggle them on and off. Perhaps most important, it allows you to move your X/Y/Z coordinates to the upper right corner so you don't have to walk around with F3 enabled all of the time.

..or am I just really late to the party?

I'm not a big fan of installing mods, but this seems to work flawlessly on SMP servers

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/91544-173jul-8-lahwrans-mods-zanminimap-0105-aether-blocks/

I think you're late to the party: Rei's Minimap is less cpu-intensive and has more features than zan's. It's also in the YogBox.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Didn't say anything about flow, and the screenshot he posted looks like static water in a sort of rivery shape. Also, that biome map shows that rivers currently just connect sea to sea rather than following "plausible" courses. Baby steps! It'll still make the world less shapeless and uniform, and that's certainly welcome.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Reveilled posted:

Can you provide an exmaple of this happening? It may very well be my own ignorance, but the only examples I can think of this happening is where a trademark became generecised into a noun or verb for everything of that type. I can't think of any situation where a trademark was lost because the owner didn't pursue another company who had a trademark that shared a single word of the first company's trademark.

I mean, are the owners of the film franchise Step Up in danger of losing their trademark because they didn't sue Pixar for Up?

No, I can't. I'm not a trademark lawyer, sadly, and so don't have the resources needed to pull up specific details or cases.

That said, I do have access to Wikipedia, and so - keeping in mind the occasionally dodgy reliability of Wikipedia - I could direct you to the appropriate article on Trademark Dilution and other associated concepts.

I mean, it's a real stretch for Bethesda's Legal department to say "yeah, we gotta sue," no one's arguing that... but the way trademark law is set up - one of the great legal clusterfucks - means that lawyers are encouraged to make those stretches and file those suits, because the risks of not doing so are, to the company, greater.

Keep in mind that "The Elder Scrolls" isn't just a string of words; legally, it's intellectual property. When Bethesda goes to investors and says "you should give us money," one of the arguments they can use in support of that statement is "our intellectual property portfolio includes The Elder Scrolls, one of the most recognizable series of computer adventure games in history," which is a debatable statement - I mean, Bethesda will talk up how recognizable it is, for obvious reasons - but if there's even a chance that that trademark is going to be threatened, those investors are then more likely to say "no thanks, we don't think you're worth the money." And Bethesda's going to care a lot more about the opinions of a small number of venture capitalists than they'll ever care about Minecraft fans.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I mean, it's a real stretch for Bethesda's Legal department to say "yeah, we gotta sue," no one's arguing that...

Except you just argued in the last post that they have to sue because "judges are dumb".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I kind of hope he makes some changes to boats as well. If you ever wanted to follow a river, using a boat would actually be difficult since they control so terribly.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Internet Kraken posted:

I kind of hope he makes some changes to boats as well. If you ever wanted to follow a river, using a boat would actually be difficult since they control so terribly.

Boats would also become infinitely more useful if bodies of water weren't generated as a bunch of ponds separated by thin strips of land. Having long, winding rivers would be awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Boats would also become infinitely more useful if bodies of water weren't generated as a bunch of ponds separated by thin strips of land. Having long, winding rivers would be awesome.

Well if Notch's recent picture is anything to go by, oceans appear to be really big now. So boats and ports might actually have a use now.