Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Mordiceius posted:

I watched one episode of Archer but it really bothered me that he's voiced by Coach McGuirk because he looks so much like Crews that I just figured he should be voiced like him.

You'll feel that way for about two or three episodes. I had the same misgiving when the show started, but Jon Benjamin very quickly made the character his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

JethroMcB posted:

You'll feel that way for about two or three episodes. I had the same misgiving when the show started, but Jon Benjamin very quickly made the character his own.

Yeah, I'll have to give it another shot. Archer just didn't strike me as a guy that would have a voice like Jon Benjamin's.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah, I'll have to give it another shot. Archer just didn't strike me as a guy that would have a voice like Jon Benjamin's.

drat dude it's a cartoon.

edit: damnit Cody answer the man

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
That feeling will pass very quickly. Right around the first time you hear him say "Dangeeerr Zoone!"

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I had similar difficulties with Archer at first, but once you get used to it, it's great. I've been re-watching Frisky Dingo recently and Archer is just a very different show; much more plot-intensive whereas Frisky Dingo and Sealab are primarily kicking around the ol' peanut.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had the same thing when I started Archer. My brain just told me he should sound like Xander, but that goes away after a few episodes.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I was upset enough at Archer not being voiced at Reed that I totally ignored the pilot. At some point I sat down and brought myself to watch it and it was game over. Reed's Xander Crews is probably one of my top 5 VA jobs ever(right up with Unknown Hinson's Early Cuyler) so I was just really let down that he wasn't going to do Archer.

nonatomic retain
May 25, 2003
[[title alloc] init];
title.value = @"Title";
[title show:(GLKView*) view];
[title dealloc];
title = nil;
Hey! Spell of enough with the questions!!

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr

Crotch Bat posted:

I was upset enough at Archer not being voiced at Reed that I totally ignored the pilot. At some point I sat down and brought myself to watch it and it was game over. Reed's Xander Crews is probably one of my top 5 VA jobs ever(right up with Unknown Hinson's Early Cuyler) so I was just really let down that he wasn't going to do Archer.

Adam was originally going to voice Archer. He did the record, and no one ended up liking it. FX had their suggestions for VAs, but Matt Thompson suggested Jon Benjamin.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I caught some later episodes of Frisky Dingo with On Demand, and man they really were not skimping on the wanton character death.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dont......dont you push that bowl off the counter!

hmhmhmhmmmmmmmhhhhmmhmhmmhmhmhm

WE CAN NEVER GO BACK TO ARIZONA!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Get on off page four with your........sharp rear end

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/2011/08/25/fred-dryer/

TVs great hunter, also known as Fred Dryer was on the adam carolla podcast and he actually was a pretty cool guy. He'd make a great vice president.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
And there go my nipples again.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Veskit posted:

http://www.adamcarolla.com/ACPBlog/2011/08/25/fred-dryer/

TVs great hunter, also known as Fred Dryer was on the adam carolla podcast and he actually was a pretty cool guy. He'd make a great vice president.

Didi McCallll.....

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Mordiceius posted:

Now say it like a horse racing announcer.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The more I watch Frisky dingo...the more I wish the made another season.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Mordiceius posted:

Aww geez, there go my nipples again there, Edith.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Mike_V posted:

Sorry man, I liked the first season all right, but not enough to keep my attention as a regular viewer. VA is actually one of my bigger complaints about Archer--it feels so sterile compared to Sealab or FD.

Go back to Pod Six.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Whizbang posted:

Go back to Pod Six.

Pod Six was jerks!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

max4me posted:

The more I watch Frisky dingo...the more I wish the made another season.

I just finished a rewatch of FD a couple nights ago, and the last two or three episodes are some of the best animated comedy to come out....well, ever. Just so rapid fire with the jokes, it was really firing on all cylinders at that point.

Season 3 probably would have been amazing.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I am going to kill Babar

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I smell crickets...

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As mentioned, I just finished FD and started on Archer. When you watch all this back to back its amazing how much stuff carried over, especially from FD to Archer.

- Xander had Train Island, Archer has Whore Island
- FD had BOOSH, Archer has Sploosh
- Right at the end of FD, they started with the "drat, I had something for that", which carried to Archer.

I feel like Archer is very much the slightly less wacky spiritual successor to FD.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Boosh and sploosh are used in fairly different contexts. Isn't it always just Cheryl/Pam using sploosh over anything sexual whereas boosh is more of a drat! ?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Phat_Albert posted:

Season 3 probably would have been amazing.

I don't think anything in season 3 would be quite as funny as the show ending forever with "AND WHERE ARE YOUR CLOTHES???". It so utterly pulls the rug out of everything that has gone before that by all rights there should be nothing left.

max4me
Jun 15, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
FD killed soo many main characters. The series couldn't stop till only Mr. ford was left. And then we get the mr ford show.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
From what I've read season 3 was going to involve Xander going to Killfaces planet and it would be a complete role reversal where Killface would basically be the Xander of his home planet. poo poo sounded amazing :smith:

VVVVV BFF

Veskit fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 14, 2011

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy
Were they still going to be friends?

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Jose posted:

Boosh and sploosh are used in fairly different contexts. Isn't it always just Cheryl/Pam using sploosh over anything sexual whereas boosh is more of a drat! ?

And/or kakow!

nonatomic retain
May 25, 2003
[[title alloc] init];
title.value = @"Title";
[title show:(GLKView*) view];
[title dealloc];
title = nil;

ChairmanMeow posted:

Were they still going to be friends?

C'mon let me tell ya 'bout my new best friend! Barnaby Jones!!

... NAP

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

max4me posted:

FD killed soo many main characters. The series couldn't stop till only Mr. ford was left. And then we get the mr ford show.

In a way, didn't we already have the Mr. Ford show?

No, we didn't. Not at all.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Does this thing just start like a freaking car? Retarded.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

haljordan posted:

Does this thing just start like a freaking car? Retarded.
No, no. It has a failsafe.

LordXabu
Sep 10, 2010

loving albino prostitutes.

BAWK BAWK!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Slamhound posted:

No, no. It has a failsafe.

I DON'T KNOW OR CARE WHAT THAT IS.

JethroMcB