Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sooooo my adventures with 10.7.1 were going smoothly… until I tried to open Preview. Bounce, bounce, bounce, crash, bug report pops up. So far I've repaired permissions and rebooted, but neither helped. Anyone else got this issue or have any idea how to fix it?

[Edit: Pulled an old copy of Preview from a 10.7.0 Time Machine backup and it launches and works just fine. For what it's worth, they both have the same version number (5.5.1) but the app fliesize is ever-so-slightly different; the one in my Applications folder that isn't launching is 42,156,532 bytes while the one that I pulled from the backup is 42,074,274 bytes. Strange.]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma
Aug 24, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Grab a download of the update from apple.com and reinstall?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Good idea, didn't work. Guess I'll just have to remember to launch Preview from the desktop from now on…

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Maybe delete the save state cache for Preview so it doesn't try to resume?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Anyone else experience hard freezes during login? Randomly (does not matter whether I'm resuming applications or not) OS X will freeze completely, just after loading the menu items associated with the system (clock, Wi-Fi, battery, etc.) I can still move the mouse, but nothing short of a hard reset gets me out of it. I've looked through console and can't find any messages indicative of an error. Since it had not been fixed in 10.7.1, I planned to report a bug at http://bugreport.apple.com but as soon as I punch in my Apple ID, it gives me an error.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Not seen any hard locks on my Air or my iMac, no. Do you have any persistent apps running?

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Maybe delete the save state cache for Preview so it doesn't try to resume?
Just tried it, didn't work. I'll probably just rename/move the broken Preview app and throw the older one in the Application folder and then forget about the whole thing until another update breaks it again.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

gnrk posted:

They send you a box for your computer, and it's sent back after the repairs are done.

Does AppleCare cover internationally as well?

Let's say I lived somewhere miles away, like Kenya. Would they still DHL me a box?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

angor posted:

Does AppleCare cover internationally as well?

Let's say I lived somewhere miles away, like Kenya. Would they still DHL me a box?

AppleCare is international. If you buy it in Japan it's good for getting your Mac fixed here.

But it's only good in countries where Apple has one of their stores or where there are AASPs. If there isn't at least one AASP in Kenya then it's a no go.

To find out exactly what your options are, go here:

https://selfsolve.apple.com/GetWarranty.do

Enter a serial number for an AppleCare covered product, then select the country.

There's an option for "Show Complete Country List" in the popup list. I entered the SN for my 11.6-inch MBA which is under AppleCare until 2013, and selected Kenya as the country and Apple said they had no service options there.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Here's hoping I'm as lucky with this one as I have been in the past :ohdear:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So some time ago I plugged my soundsticks into my mac and noticed a pop every now and again. Just randomly. No one could figure it out.

I was recently reading the thread and someone suggested Antipop to someone for this thing. It's a bit of code that passively doesn't let the external speakers "go to sleep" which is what the mac is often wont to let them do.

So far, no Pop, but it's intermittent, so honestly I don't know yet. I'm satisfied with the results so far, except that later in the day I'll go to play an MKV or something on VLC and it'll play fine with no sound, despite my mac still at that moment being capable of making system beeps and other sounds.

Anyone know what's up? A reboot usually fixes it till the next day. I'd sure hate to have to remove this seemingly good fix for the pop, but I use VLC a poo poo ton and like it a lot.

Thoughts?

this is the app, btw: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/29024/antipop

pipes!
Jul 10, 2001
Nap Ghost
I'm going to be partitioning a drive in OSX to use as a scratch disk. Should I use the native Disk Utility application, or is there something 3rd party worth recommending that handles the whole thing better?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Feenix posted:

So some time ago I plugged my soundsticks into my mac and noticed a pop every now and again. Just randomly. No one could figure it out.

I was recently reading the thread and someone suggested Antipop to someone for this thing. It's a bit of code that passively doesn't let the external speakers "go to sleep" which is what the mac is often wont to let them do.

So far, no Pop, but it's intermittent, so honestly I don't know yet. I'm satisfied with the results so far, except that later in the day I'll go to play an MKV or something on VLC and it'll play fine with no sound, despite my mac still at that moment being capable of making system beeps and other sounds.

Anyone know what's up? A reboot usually fixes it till the next day. I'd sure hate to have to remove this seemingly good fix for the pop, but I use VLC a poo poo ton and like it a lot.

Thoughts?

this is the app, btw: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/29024/antipop

I think this is something OSX does for power saving. It probably powers down the sound system in certain cases when external devices are plugged in. I've noticed it on my Macbook Pro when I'm using sensitive earphones. If I pause music I'll hear a slight bit of signal noise for a while until it goes silent completely when the sound system shuts down. Resuming the music brings with it a slight pop as the sound system powers up again. These are just my anecdotal observations though, so I could be way off.

I'm guessing something in that app you're using is conflicting with how the sound system powers up/down. Perhaps it's not reporting the powerstate properly to the sound drivers, and they send sound anyway when the system hasn't been powered up. I dunno.

Do the MKVs usually play fine? Is it not just VLC? Perhaps try Movist or MPlayerX with the same setup, and then try not running that app to see how the media players behave.

modig
Aug 20, 2002
I'm running Lion and I enabled FileVault. Is there any way to turn off the need for a password after 1 hour? 1 hour is the longest time allowed in the preferences. I know it defeats the purpose of FileVault, but I really just want to turn on the password when I travel, then leave them off when I just use my laptop around the house.

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know how to Show Package Contents on 10.7.1? I was just trying to manually update something in a program and realized that I could no longer get inside the app. I googled around, but couldn't come up with anything.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

pipes! posted:

I'm going to be partitioning a drive in OSX to use as a scratch disk. Should I use the native Disk Utility application, or is there something 3rd party worth recommending that handles the whole thing better?

Disk Utility is fine. Never had any issues.

nerdpony posted:

Does anyone know how to Show Package Contents on 10.7.1? I was just trying to manually update something in a program and realized that I could no longer get inside the app. I googled around, but couldn't come up with anything.

Just went into Applications and right-clicked on an app and still have the "Shot Package Contents" option. Do you not?

nerdpony
May 1, 2007

Apparently I was supposed to put something here.
Fun Shoe

vikingstrike posted:

Just went into Applications and right-clicked on an app and still have the "Shot Package Contents" option. Do you not?

I just checked another one, and I had it on other apps. Just not the one I wanted to get inside. Weird.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

nerdpony posted:

I just checked another one, and I had it on other apps. Just not the one I wanted to get inside. Weird.
Try Terminal.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

nerdpony posted:

Maybe an app that uses the old flat file format?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Boot Camp question:

I'm playing through Mass Effect 2 and noticing a lot of graphical tearing. I'm using AMD's latest Mac graphic drivers for W7 64bit, but they haven't been updated since January. Is it safe to use the regular Radeon drivers in Boot Camp? If so, which drivers should I install?

Mid-2010 iMac, Radeon HD 5750.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Use the latest mobile Catalysts.

Ulmeyda
Aug 10, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I hate the new arrange by in Lion, is there a way to keep files permanently cleaned up?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

carry on then posted:

Anyone else experience hard freezes during login? Randomly (does not matter whether I'm resuming applications or not) OS X will freeze completely, just after loading the menu items associated with the system (clock, Wi-Fi, battery, etc.) I can still move the mouse, but nothing short of a hard reset gets me out of it. I've looked through console and can't find any messages indicative of an error. Since it had not been fixed in 10.7.1, I planned to report a bug at http://bugreport.apple.com but as soon as I punch in my Apple ID, it gives me an error.

Do you have an InsomniaX installed?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ulmeyda posted:

I hate the new arrange by in Lion, is there a way to keep files permanently cleaned up?
Use Sort By.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Ha, I finally figured out what bothers me about Arrange by name in Lion - it uses the file extension. (So, in a list, "2.rtf" is before "1.txt.) Sort By seems to list them the way I would expect.

However, it seems that in file save dialog boxes, you can't do Sort By. (Holding Option and clicking the dropdown for arrange doesn't seem to do anything.) Is there a way to Sort By in them that I'm missing?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Any good books for administering Lion Server? Having a bitch of a time making it play nice with AD.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Granite Octopus posted:

Do you have an InsomniaX installed?

Nope, nothing of that sort.

I noticed two entries in my Login Items list that had the "not found" triangle next to them (iTunesHelper was one of them, oddly) so I tried removing those. I'll see if it happens to me again, but I can't be sure for a while because the problem was completely unpredictable.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Feenix posted:

Lion bug, I have the same issue. Apps seem to "lose" their sound output device after a while.
To avoid a reboot you can change the sound output inside VLC to something else then back again and it will play audio again.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Does anyone know of a reasonable replacement for sidenote? It doesn't work in Lion.

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

I just switched to Safari from Firefox so I could use all the new Lion features for it. Since then I've noticed that I can't click on any thumbnails in the forums to make them expand or view them in a new tab. I can right click and open them in a new tab where the image will be its original size, but that's not really as convenient. I haven't gotten much in the way of help from Google, I saw someone with a similar issue fix it by clearing out their cache but I didn't have any luck with that.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Inside Outside posted:

I just switched to Safari from Firefox so I could use all the new Lion features for it. Since then I've noticed that I can't click on any thumbnails in the forums to make them expand or view them in a new tab. I can right click and open them in a new tab where the image will be its original size, but that's not really as convenient. I haven't gotten much in the way of help from Google, I saw someone with a similar issue fix it by clearing out their cache but I didn't have any luck with that.

Try here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3427084

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

serewit posted:

Any good books for administering Lion Server? Having a bitch of a time making it play nice with AD.

What issues are you having? Aside from the admin tools being buggy and sucking, I didn't have much of a problem with AD.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

Achmed Jones posted:

Does anyone know of a reasonable replacement for sidenote? It doesn't work in Lion.

Wow I remember using that many years ago. I use notational velocity now for simplenote sync. Having access to a web app is useful even if you don't have a smartphone.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

Performance / Overheating? issue :

I have a late 2008 Unibody MacBook Pro (2.53 c2d / 4GB / 9400m + 9600mgt)

Since upgrading to Lion , and playing WoW , i've noticed some awful "throttling" to the point where it's like slow-motion when the laptop is working hard.

I've turned the graphical settings WAY down on WoW, and if i use the 9400, it works just fine for hours on end(albeit not great). When I use the 9600, after a while, it seems as though it breaks into brief bits of "slow motion", where it seems that it's downclocking briefly to prevent overheating. (Side note : Playing WoW in Bootcamp with Windows 7 , it gets to the point where while i'm playing WoW the laptop forces itself into standby, when CoreTemp reports my cpu at 98 deg. celsius).

Has anyone else seen anything similar? A way to check if my theory is correct? Never had this issue in Snow Leopard, but maybe my hardware's just starting to fail.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Did you try resetting the PRAM and resetting the SMC?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

mayodreams posted:

What issues are you having? Aside from the admin tools being buggy and sucking, I didn't have much of a problem with AD.

Well, mostly the admin tools being sucky and bugging. Also some problems with DNS which I got ironed out, but in ironing out, broke services and required me to reimage.

AD problems are mostly things like not mounting home directories and not inheriting permissions or setting them at all in the first place.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I wasn't even aware that zapping the PRAM was still a thing, since i'd last done it on my PowerBook G3 from 1999. Heh. I'll try that after work. Thanks for the idea!

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

serewit posted:

Well, mostly the admin tools being sucky and bugging. Also some problems with DNS which I got ironed out, but in ironing out, broke services and required me to reimage.

AD problems are mostly things like not mounting home directories and not inheriting permissions or setting them at all in the first place.

Yeah, I had some DNS issues that were not present in Snow Leopard too. Once I bound a machine to the OD as well as the AD, it couldn't find the OD DC, and then AD authentication failed. It turns out you need to set the server's DNS to 127.0.0.1 in the System Prefs and relay requests to your real DNS server in the DNS service prefs.

ARD has been sucking a huge cock too in that it 'loses' machines and says it is not active if a Lion machine has a user logged in. I am pretty pissed with the lack of enterprise polish on Lion, but that is par for the course this year with Apple pissing on education/enterprise.

I HAVE to deploy Lion client and server this fall in my computer labs. This is how thrilled I am about that: :smithicide:

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
I'm running Lion on my 2008 Mac Pro, which has an SSD for the OS drive and a separate HDD for the user accounts. I created a new user account for my girlfriend, then copied it to the HDD and changed the path in the User Account pref pane. When she logs in, no apps will launch. They'll open for a second and then close. Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

~Coxy posted:

Lion bug, I have the same issue. Apps seem to "lose" their sound output device after a while.
To avoid a reboot you can change the sound output inside VLC to something else then back again and it will play audio again.

You mean a bug with Lion when you have AntiPop or just a bug with Lion?

I've had Lion for a few weeks now with no issues, but this issue only reared it's head later in the night that I installed Antipop.

I have deleted Antipop for testing purposes. We'll see...