Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

BananaNutkins posted:

I cannot grok how anyone would anyone put that...thing on a list

I remember I would read that at least once a year for the longest time. Then I hit about 21 one and haven't touched it since. I think it was because I grew up in the last 10 years. Of course I haven't tried to read it in probably 4 or 5 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I really don't like Heinlen at all. He's just such a skeeze. Lazarus Long is the most obvious offender but there is a dude in a bunch of his books including Stranger in a Strange Land who is basically Heinlen's self insert, is a bajillionaire and lives with a bunch of sexy women who he shares with alien visitors. Guh

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

Liesmith posted:

I really don't like Heinlen at all. He's just such a skeeze. Lazarus Long is the most obvious offender but there is a dude in a bunch of his books including Stranger in a Strange Land who is basically Heinlen's self insert, is a bajillionaire and lives with a bunch of sexy women who he shares with alien visitors. Guh

That is the thing that happened to me too. Creepy bastard, though I still like Starship Troopers and Harsh Mistress.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

BananaNutkins posted:

The book was made because of a bet, and lost to Battlefield Earth. That's how bad it is.

soru
Apr 27, 2003

The Red God has his due, sweet girl, and only death may pay for life.

BananaNutkins posted:

Because Heinlein is one of the scifi authors that old NPR people have actually read.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If your a Sanderson fan, you might want to check this out.
http://brandonsanderson.com/library/116/Warbreaker-Prime-Mythwalker-Prologue

He openly admits the book sucks, so this should be interesting to read as it trickles out over the next couple of months. Vivenna and Siri are the only charecters he salvaged from this trainwreck, they went on to star in Warbreaker.

If anything, definately read the commentary at the end. It talks about Brandon's failures and triumphs and how he cannibilized the best elements from his crappy first-attempt books.

quote:

But that is not all that Mythwalker is. Its main character and its magic system have not been cannibalized. What you will read here in the coming weeks is an interesting story in its own right, even though it has problems. And some of you will be frustrated that the story remains unfinished.

So it is probably best to view these chapters just as a window on early Brandon Sanderson, when he tried something and failed. This was the first novel in Brandon's adult writing career that he started writing but never finished. If you want insight into his creative process, I think this is a great place to look.

It should be fascinating to see what the magic system is like.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 16, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I really wish he would hire someone to design him a more readable website.

At the same time it wouldn't really surprise me at all if he does it all himself.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

IRQ posted:

I really wish he would hire someone to design him a more readable website.

At the same time it wouldn't really surprise me at all if he does it all himself.

His brother does it.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Officially read all of Brandon Sanderson's works.

Maaaan, the Stormlight Archives book is awesome! I started with Mistborn which was fuckin' A, Elantris was also pretty good.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy last night and need to talk about the ending. drat that was a good series.

I gotta say, Sazed being the Hero of Ages was definitely not what I expected, but it was awesome and I loved every single piece of the last book. The moment when I realized who the Mistfallen were was also incredible. I just wish there would be more books about these characters, I love 'em all so much.

One thing I don't completely understand: when Alendi began his trek to the Well of Ascension, why were the mists beginning to gather already? Did Preservation see that Ruin's power was returning and create the mists to aid Alendi in his quest, or was it something else? It just seems weird to me that the Deepness, the thing everyone thought was going to destroy the world, was actually sent by Preservation.

Now that that's done I need to track down a copy of The Alloy of Law. Pity they didn't have it at my local bookstore :sigh:

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

quiggy posted:

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy last night and need to talk about the ending. drat that was a good series.

I gotta say, Sazed being the Hero of Ages was definitely not what I expected, but it was awesome and I loved every single piece of the last book. The moment when I realized who the Mistfallen were was also incredible. I just wish there would be more books about these characters, I love 'em all so much.

One thing I don't completely understand: when Alendi began his trek to the Well of Ascension, why were the mists beginning to gather already? Did Preservation see that Ruin's power was returning and create the mists to aid Alendi in his quest, or was it something else? It just seems weird to me that the Deepness, the thing everyone thought was going to destroy the world, was actually sent by Preservation.

Now that that's done I need to track down a copy of The Alloy of Law. Pity they didn't have it at my local bookstore :sigh:

Alloy of Law is not out untill November. You can read the first five preview chapters on TOR.com however. There's also a fake newspaper called "The Elendel Daily" you can download also.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Cartoon Man posted:

Alloy of Law is not out untill November. You can read the first five preview chapters on TOR.com however. There's also a fake newspaper called "The Elendel Daily" you can download also.

Oh, really? I thought Amazon said it was :confused: Oh well, apparently I'm just an idiot. I don't want to wait that long.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

quiggy posted:

I don't want to wait that long.

I don't think any of us do.

Have you read Sanderson's other books? I'd definitely recommend them.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
So I learned something new (to me at least) yesterday listening to Brandon speak at Worldcon. Mistborn was originally marketed to the publishers as a "trilogy of trilogies," so while you have the original trilogy, you have the new one he's writing in the steampunk era age of industry, but he also has plans taking the Mistborn series to the SciFi realm, where the magic system, notable the time dilation power introduced in new book, allows for faster than light travel. All because he was tired of the way in standard epic fantasy the world doesn't change in thousands of years.

I think it was mentioned here earlier that he was talking about a sci-fi book, but still :aaa:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Last I heard that was still his (eventual) plan, Alloy of Law is just a novella.

Guy has seriously a lot on his plate though with the final WoT, 9 more Stormlight Archives books or however many, and god knows whatever else he's kicking around.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

IRQ posted:

Last I heard that was still his (eventual) plan, Alloy of Law is just a novella.

Guy has seriously a lot on his plate though with the final WoT, 9 more Stormlight Archives books or however many, and god knows whatever else he's kicking around.

Let's just hope he get's WoT out of the way right quick so he can actually work on good series. :v:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Odette posted:

I don't think any of us do.

Have you read Sanderson's other books? I'd definitely recommend them.

Not yet, mainly because I don't know where to start. Mistborn was recommended by a friend, but I don't really know his other stuff. I did just start up A Game of Thrones (not Sanderson, obviously), but once I'm done with that whole series I'll be looking for something else if you guys have a recommendation.

fordan posted:

So I learned something new (to me at least) yesterday listening to Brandon speak at Worldcon. Mistborn was originally marketed to the publishers as a "trilogy of trilogies," so while you have the original trilogy, you have the new one he's writing in the steampunk era age of industry, but he also has plans taking the Mistborn series to the SciFi realm, where the magic system, notable the time dilation power introduced in new book, allows for faster than light travel. All because he was tired of the way in standard epic fantasy the world doesn't change in thousands of years.

This is awesome, but I just don't really see where he could go from here. Nothing in the same universe seems like it could be as epic as the first trilogy.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

quiggy posted:

This is awesome, but I just don't really see where he could go from here. Nothing in the same universe seems like it could be as epic as the first trilogy.

Read Way of Kings.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

quiggy posted:

Alloy of Law is starting out pretty excellent, and I kind of get an idea of how the Victorian-era progression and setting is, so I think there's stuff he could do. Dip in to the free chapters on tor.com and see.

Also, "universe" is a mis-nomer for different settings in Sanderson's work, because everything he's writing fits into the same universe. There used to be one god or god-like conceptual entity, Adonasium (there's that name Sazed mentioned in Hero of Ages), that was shattered into 16 (there's that number again), and Ati (Ruin) and Leras (Preservation) were holders of two of the Adonasium shards. Different worlds have different shards associated, and there's probably (going to be?) some sort of all-out war between different shard factions, particularly as they begin to figure out how to travel FTL/teleport.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 19, 2011

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

arioch posted:

Alloy of Law is starting out pretty excellent, and I kind of get an idea of how the Victorian-era progression and setting is, so I think there's stuff he could do. Dip in to the free chapters on tor.com and see.

Also, "universe" is a mis-nomer for different settings in Sanderson's work, because everything he's writing fits into the same universe. There used to be one god or god-like conceptual entity, Adonasium (there's that name Sazed mentioned in Hero of Ages), that was shattered into 16 (there's that number again), and Ati (Ruin) and Leras (Preservation) were holders of two of the Adonasium shards. Different worlds have different shards associated, and there's probably (going to be?) some sort of all-out war between different shard factions, particularly as they begin to figure out how to travel FTL/teleport.

Holy poo poo, really? Guess now I have to read all of his books.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

arioch posted:

That sounds a lot like the Crossgen universe. Can't wait to get more books by him. Following him on Twitter he seems like a pretty awesome dude.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

WHY is this HAPPENING to me?!
That is pretty much the most awesome thing I have ever heard. If he writes a book that combines all the worlds into one I will be first in line to buy it.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

arioch posted:

particularly as they begin to figure out how to travel FTL/teleport.

The speed bubble guys on Scadrial can effect some kind of FTL, I guess, and note that the Elantrians can already teleport (though it's limited by the amount of power granted by their Aon Dor system which attenuates based on distance to the city of Elantris).

Just imagine the Elantrians using their powers to bootstrap the aligning of a bunch of planets/star systems into a huge copy of the Aon that is the city of Elantris, with their world at the center.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

kissyboots13 posted:

That is pretty much the most awesome thing I have ever heard. If he writes a book that combines all the worlds into one I will be first in line to buy it.

He's said he plans to. But he's waiting, he has other things to do in the setting first and he doesn't feel confident he could pull it off right now. There's a title for it floating around already.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Just starting Elantris, pretty good so far.

But man, does Sanderson have a thing for sassy/spirited princesses or what?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

A Nice Boy posted:

Just starting Elantris, pretty good so far.

But man, does Sanderson have a thing for sassy/spirited princesses or what?

Yes. His books all have that character. His books all share a LOT of very, very similar characters.

You can either accept it or hate it. Honestly I think his writing is fun and light enough that I don't care. I will again point to my assertion that Sanderson really is writing books that are very close to YA.

kissyboots13
Feb 16, 2010

WHY is this HAPPENING to me?!

IRQ posted:

Yes. His books all have that character. His books all share a LOT of very, very similar characters.

You can either accept it or hate it. Honestly I think his writing is fun and light enough that I don't care. I will again point to my assertion that Sanderson really is writing books that are very close to YA.

I accept it and think your assertion about his work being almost YA is spot on. I also happen to like sassy princesses, so even though it is a common thread throughout his books I count it among the reasons why I like them.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Yeah it's just a quirk. We tease because we love. For all the "LEMONCAKE RAPE" crap that gets bandied about on this board, we sure love we some Martin. That's fine. I give Sanderson crap about his terrible humor and his sassy princesses, but I've still read everything he's ever done and will continue to read whatever he pumps out. It's cathartic to bitch about the little things that bug us sometimes, though.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I just finished The Way of Kings. Part way through, I decided to look for the next book in the series. I was excited to see that it is projected to be a 10 part series. Then I got all pissed off that there are no more books out and the second one isn't due out until next year. At least from this thread it looks like he is a writing machine, so hopefully the books come out in regular intervals.

I think what I liked best about this book is that by partway through, I was genuinely interested in what was going to happen next to the main characters. It seems like in these epic fantasy novels, there is usually only one or two characters that I care about, and the rest are just filler.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Orvin posted:

I just finished The Way of Kings. Part way through, I decided to look for the next book in the series. I was excited to see that it is projected to be a 10 part series. Then I got all pissed off that there are no more books out and the second one isn't due out until next year. At least from this thread it looks like he is a writing machine, so hopefully the books come out in regular intervals.

I think what I liked best about this book is that by partway through, I was genuinely interested in what was going to happen next to the main characters. It seems like in these epic fantasy novels, there is usually only one or two characters that I care about, and the rest are just filler.

The boring parts for me were the Adolin perspectives. He's really only there to show Dalinar from another viewpoint, and Adolin's defining characteristic is that he dates a lot of girls, which is piss poor characterization.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

BananaNutkins posted:

The boring parts for me were the Adolin perspectives. He's really only there to show Dalinar from another viewpoint, and Adolin's defining characteristic is that he dates a lot of girls, which is piss poor characterization.

I thought that his copious short-term dating was partly to reinforce that he's pretty rash. I read the book several months ago, though, so I could be wrong.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Let the popularity contest begin. (Its all for charity.)

http://t.co/r3Oeajl

At least Sanderson and Butcher are both currently fetching higher bids than the GRRM...

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

Cartoon Man posted:

Let the popularity contest begin. (Its all for charity.)

http://t.co/r3Oeajl

At least Sanderson and Butcher are both currently fetching higher bids than the GRRM...

Why is the auction for Towers of Midnight showing him holding up Way of Kings?

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
There's also a WoK auction up...They must have used the same photo for both.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
Huh. He's beating out Karen Gillan, too ($200 vs. $150). I'd have figured there would be more lonely Doctor Who nerds around.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Chapter 6. :clint:

http://www.tor.com/stories/2011/08/the-alloy-of-law-chapter-six

Brandon Sanderson posted:

Remember when I said last fall on Twitter that I had just written the most awesome Allomantic gunfight ever? (Okay, it was also the first Allomantic gunfight ever written.) Well, that gunfight appears in THE ALLOY OF LAW chapter six, now up on Tor.com. This marks the end of the short story that I originally planned, which turned into the new Mistborn novel coming out on November 8th. If you read the six preview chapters that have been released, you'll understand why this really was the only good place to end the preview. I wanted you to get a comprehensive sample of what this novel was really about, and with this chapter all the elements come together.

Also, Mythwalker chapter 1, in all its poo poo-tastic glory.
http://brandonsanderson.com/library/117/Warbreaker-Prime-Mythwalker-Chapter-One

quote:

Assistant Peter's commentary: This chapter introduces the three-level class/racial structure of the Kkoloss, Eruntu, and Skaa. This concept was later used in Mistborn, except Brandon there put the skaa in the middle (sort of) and the koloss at the bottom (sort of), and just called the top tier nobles. The Skaa as described here remind me of the parshmen in The Way of Kings, and a variation of the Eruntu characteristic of white hair also shows up in one of the races on Roshar.

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 24, 2011

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cartoon Man posted:

On the other hand, GRRM is getting a higher bid than Christina Hendricks. Well, I guess he does technically have the bigger rack...

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Shouldn't the title of this thread be "Brandon Sanderson: He's written more than anyone in the last 5 years"?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Way of Kings wins award for its cover.

Everything Whelan paints is gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis
Just started Way of Kings almost immediately after having finished Mistborn (which I enjoyed) and the difference in the quality of the prose is almost night and day. I'm about halfway through now, I feel like it's a lot tighter. He's still a bit too reliant on exposition for my tastes, but that's the only consistent negative thing I can say about it, and even in that he's improved since Mistborn. Very curious to see how he sustains the story over ten books.