Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Background: the Pittsburgh Pirates just had probably their best draft in two decades. They managed to draft and sign two of the top 15 prospects available. They gave out the highest signing bonus of all time. They broke the previous record on draft spending by more than 40% ($17M v $12M). Pirates fans are pretty drat happy.

But luckily, we have Bob Smizik to set us straight: you're not allowed to be happy about your team's future if it's bad right now. Also, past draft picks have busted so current draft picks aren't any good.

quote:

Draft: Why all the excitement?

A positive and not-so positive view of the Pirates' draft.

There’s little indication the team's drafts under the management team of Neal Huntington and Frank Coonelly (This was their fourth draft; most baseball prospects spend at least 3 seasons in the minor leagues. -M) have been anything more than average. But they continue to follow The Plan, continue to put more money than any team in MLB in the draft.

This is not a suggestion such a strategy relieves them from criticism in other areas. That’s for another day. But the team’s dedication to building a farm system that might someday turn the Pirates into a winner is admirable.

There’s no other way the Pirates are going to be successful. ...

That is deserving of commendation.

That said, the celebrating, back-slapping and congratulations that took place here, there and everywhere when the Pirates were able to sign their first and second-round draft choices was a bit mystifying.

Since when doesn’t a team sign its first-round draft choice? It was nothing unusual for the current management team do to that. They previously signed two high first-round picks, Pedro Alvarez and Jameson Taillon, so why was anyone put in a celebratory state of mind when they did it again?

Nailing second-round choice Josh Bell was more of a surprise, but he’s a high school kid. He’s years away from helping the Pirates -- if he ever does.

But let’s wait until some of these players start to produce before we act like some kind of victory has been achieved. No victory was achieved. The Pirates did what they were supposed to do and what almost every other team in MLB did.

For those lauding the signing of Cole, an outstanding prospect who could be in the majors late next year or by 2013, I present this information:

Pedro Alvarez and Tony Sanchez.

As for Bell, who would have been a first-round choice had he not told all 30 MLB teams he was going to college, I present this information:

Jon Farrell, Charles Peterson, Mark Farris, Chad Hermansen, J.J. Davis, Clint Johnson, Bobby Bradley, John Van Benschoten, Bryan Bullington.

Those are Pirates first-round draft choices since 1990 who have been monumental flops. (None of these were picked by the people he's criticizing. -M)

It’s tremendous that the Pirates continue to be dedicated toward building their future. But they also have to do something about their present. The need better players for 2012, not 2013 or 2015.

Celebrate this draft if you wish, but the cold hard reality of the situation is the Pirates, the MLB version, are no better today than they were two days ago.

A sports reporter who hate he home team. A shameful reporter.

e: A bonus! Here's Smizik before the signing deadline:

quote:

The scorecard is this:

If the Pirates sign both: A+

If they sign only Cole: A-

If the sign only Bell: D

If they sign neither: F

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Aug 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swizz
Oct 10, 2004

I can recall being broke with some friends in Tennessee and deciding to have a party and being able to afford only two-fifths of a $1.75 bourbon called Two Natural, whose label showed dice coming up 5 and 2. Its taste was memorable. The psychological effect was also notable.

BITCH I SELL CAINE posted:

Let me tell you about the greatest* baseball game I've ever seen.

[writes 5,000-word article about an American All-Stars vs. Boston Red Sox best-of-seven series of "RBI Baseball" from a stoner's living room in Milpitas in 1990.]

- What is "meaning," anyway?

This is pretty much why I was skeptical of Grantland in the first place, there's some good material but the bad stuff is aggravating

swizz fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Aug 19, 2011

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I don't know anything about Dan Kois, but I think I'm finally convinced that his awful "Razzie Watch" column on Grantland is sincere and actually attempting to be clever despite having sectional titles such as "New This 'Weak'" and "On the 'Bore'izon" instead of an Onion-esque parody of a column mocking bad movies. There's some good stuff on Grantland, but it seems like they blew their load of good actual journalism (like the National oral history) and now are just shoveling out the same caliber of crappy blogger poo poo that's all over the rest of the internet.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

swizz posted:

This is pretty much why I was skeptical of Grantland in the first place, there's some good material but the bad stuff is aggravating

to be fair their good to poo poo ratio seems better than average especially if you know who to avoid (mr. klosterman)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

I don't know anything about Dan Kois, but I think I'm finally convinced that his awful "Razzie Watch" column on Grantland is sincere and actually attempting to be clever despite having sectional titles such as "New This 'Weak'" and "On the 'Bore'izon" instead of an Onion-esque parody of a column mocking bad movies. There's some good stuff on Grantland, but it seems like they blew their load of good actual journalism (like the National oral history) and now are just shoveling out the same caliber of crappy blogger poo poo that's all over the rest of the internet.

Pretty much all the pop culture stuff on there is terrible. I think the sports stuff I've read is mostly okay, although I admittedly skip over most of the blog posts and anything about soccer (which is pretty large percentage of it). Most of their very best stuff was definitely in that first week or two, but I suppose that's to be expected.

ZerodotJander
Dec 29, 2004

Chinaman, explain!
The LA Noire review on Grantland was really good.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
[0:01-0:33] What, you mean you don't like it when Klosterman writes 2000 words about an instrumental 70s rock track and tries to straddle a line between being snarky and insightful?

[0:34-1:01] Especially when it's centered around him breaking down a youtube video, second by second? Or filled with anecdotes about growing up in a small town? What if I told you it's also packed with references to 80s hair metal?

[1:02-1:03] This is definitely the part of the song I like the least.

[1:04-1:30] The way he structured that piece isn't an awful gimmick at all, it's a really cool way to appreciate a guy who today records music written by Ron Hubbard

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Let me tell you about the greatest* baseball game I've ever seen.

[writes 5,000-word article about an American All-Stars vs. Boston Red Sox best-of-seven series of "RBI Baseball" from a stoner's living room in Milpitas in 1990.]

- What is "meaning," anyway?

I want to read this article. :mad:

Holy Diverticulitis
Dec 8, 2009

damn good anus! and hot!

barkingclam posted:

[0:01-0:33] What, you mean you don't like it when Klosterman writes 2000 words about an instrumental 70s rock track and tries to straddle a line between being snarky and insightful?

[0:34-1:01] Especially when it's centered around him breaking down a youtube video, second by second? Or filled with anecdotes about growing up in a small town? What if I told you it's also packed with references to 80s hair metal?

[1:02-1:03] This is definitely the part of the song I like the least.

[1:04-1:30] The way he structured that piece isn't an awful gimmick at all, it's a really cool way to appreciate a guy who today records music written by Ron Hubbard
Skip past the Mark Ames and Exile-standard slamming of appearance and ad hominem and get to the bottom and the gut of why Klosterman is horrible. Ames is always all shotgun and little concern for how he hits the target, but eventually the blasts just land. I know pimping your own poo poo here is usually bad form, but I thought initially that Grantland sucked poo poo, and I haven't had any reason to reconsider. Klosterman has a position for being insightful about sports precisely because the criteria for being insightful are set so low and established by someone with all the cash. Money talks and talks and talks and talks and talks. Now with footnotes.

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.
Bill Barnwell is both a pretty good writer and entertaining. Jonah Keri is both a pretty good writer and entertaining. The soccer posts have been surprisingly accessible. Grantland isn't worthless, it's just that its worth is instead of going to two or three or four websites to read those guys' writing it's just one. I would have read those guys regardless of grantland's existence.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

They actually wrote about tennis too :unsmith:

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

morestuff posted:

I think ESPN catches more flak than they sometimes deserve, but this is seriously goddamn ridiculous placement for what is probably the biggest sports story of the year:

I know they don't wanna shine up their rivals and generate more hits for them, but goddamn. ESPN really does not give a gently caress about a sport or news item unless it's in their wheelhouse or published by them

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

This article could just as easily be titled "Why MVP voting is stupid"

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

ShaneB posted:

This article could just as easily be titled "Why MVP voting is stupid"
i like how the article handwaves away five of the top ten NL fgWAR leaders because they play for bad teams

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Skip past the Mark Ames and Exile-standard slamming of appearance and ad hominem and get to the bottom and the gut of why Klosterman is horrible. Ames is always all shotgun and little concern for how he hits the target, but eventually the blasts just land. I know pimping your own poo poo here is usually bad form, but I thought initially that Grantland sucked poo poo, and I haven't had any reason to reconsider. Klosterman has a position for being insightful about sports precisely because the criteria for being insightful are set so low and established by someone with all the cash. Money talks and talks and talks and talks and talks. Now with footnotes.

I can understand why people dislike Klosterman, but "criticism" like Ames is ridiculous. For example:

quote:

Klosterman and his type are one of the reasons why I went into exile (I’m writing this from Moscow). I wanted out of a paradigm in which his type dominated the narrative when in fact his type should be rotting in a death camp, begging for a clump of grass to suck on. I understood 10 years ago that fighting against the Klostermans in America is utterly pointless: Klosterman is the metaphor, the designated heir of everything horribly American, precisely because he’s stupid, shameless and hokey.

:stare: My guess would be that he's not being entirely truthful, but this is not an accurate shotgun blast, and more of a smug, rage-filled rant.

I like Klosterman, although my enjoyment is only limited to his two books of essays, and a handful of his articles. Maybe my friends are terrible anecdotal evidence, but I have never seen Klosterman revered in the way Ames says, "It’s not just Klosterman. There’s the entire culture where this man is taken seriously and blown in journals that really should know better." Everyone I have talked to, including myself, think he writes some funny essays. Nothing more than that. However, this assessment is pretty accurate of Chucky K, "As you can see, if Sean Penn’s retarded character from I Am Sam had read Baudrillard, you’d get Chuck Klosterman." It is pretty extreme, but it's still funny.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
That's kinda what the angle of guys like Ames is. Have you ever read any of his other stuff? If not him, then Taibbi? It's intentionally rage fueled.

You don't have to like it but it's important to understand it's absolutely done that way on purpose.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
No, I have never read Ames before, so I guess I didn't realize his schtick was intentionally rage fueled. Still, I stand by what I said. On purpose or not, it wasn't great criticism to me. But that may be because I don't think of Klosterman in the way Ames does, "But "low culture"? I didn’t know intellectuals, even Beigeist morons like Klosterman, could get away with using phrases like "high" and "low" culture anymore. Even ironically." Obviously, he doesn't think of Klosterman as an intellectual, but he is placing him in that category. To me, Klosterman is just a guy who wrote some funny essays once, and occasionally has an interesting article.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Grantland's good. but it's the Boardwalk Empire/New York Yankees of web sites; not really as good as it should be on paper from the sum of its parts.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
A writer I like, Bethelhem Shoals, just got hired by Bleacher Report as their Lead NBA writer. He makes some reasonable points in his introductory article:

quote:

SEO, the punchline B/R is often reduced to, is part of the equation. However, I see it as a tactic, not a strategy. Bleacher Report wants to figure out a medium (and tech-enmeshed marketplace) that isn't getting any less crowded or tangled. There isn't going to be a mass extinction of social networks or web-capable devices.

Maybe that sounds soulless or mercenary to you, but to me, it sounds like the future—or maybe just common sense. Bleacher Report describe themselves as a platform, but I think it’s equally valid to view them as a foundation. They have built up a massive traffic base with writers no one has ever heard of; they’re constantly analyzing trends and trying to better understand traffic patterns, things that any web writer worth his salt has been doing, informally, for years now. I know Bleacher Report will find an audience for the pieces I write here.

Sometimes I wonder how many critics bagging on Bleacher Report’s approach or content actually ever look at the site—or their own. Slideshows are everywhere now; maybe a lot of writers here are still learning their craft, but there are plenty of name bloggers and columnists who could stand to go back to school. What’s more, this place knows it has to get better. They brought in King Kaufman to help their writers; when Harvard’s Nieman Lab does a story on the program, you know it’s being taken seriously. I regularly get emails asking for career advice, tips on how to break into the business. They could do far worse than to start out at a place that can guarantee them eyeballs; get input from King that will help them as writers; and learn about what people really want to read in a way that doesn’t limit their options. Oh, and start to get paid while they’re figuring it out.

But all that kind of gets undercut when you look at RELATED ARTICLES:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Not going to post any specific thing but Deadspin has no less than three posts about Grantland today.

Good lord

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I really like Klosterman. That Mark Ames article is as mentioned all rage and attacks on the person with very little insight in to why he isn't "good." And having grown up in Minnesota and known a lot of those so called hicks from North dakota (and god knows there are a lot of them) Klosterman isn't bragging to get some low brow cred from the Midwest but rather reciting his own childhood of rural middle America which I've found very very spot on.

And I think his incites that I've listened to on podcasts about how he watches sports are fascinating and have at times made me re-evaluate how I watch sports and how I'm consuming them. Obviously I don't agree with all his takes but the point of view he provides in a admittedly shallow discourse of pop culture and sports in general is a welcome and refreshing view. I'll stand by Klosterman any time because on the other hand you have guys like Rick Reilly spewing random crap day in and day out.

He is always treading a line of self indulgence but anyone who is going to read his books or go to Grantland should be ready for this. You're not reading the economist, there isn't going to be an invisible but authoritative narrative, and the reason I like Klosterman is he wears who he is on his shoulders at all times.

Ames anger is misguided. He may be a shotgun of anger but in my opinion he basically misses. It is baffling how much so many people hate Klosterman for what he writes about and how.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 23, 2011

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Before reading this thread, I honestly didn't know that people disliked Klosterman. I guess I can see why, though, I personally like him a lot.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
The only thing I really dislike on Grantland is that guy from Hipster Runoff. Just awful, awful stuff.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I think Hipster Runoff can be really funny, but making him adhere to the AP Style Guide or whatever makes him lose a lot of his voice.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I agree, but I can also see Carles writing style confusing a lot of people who have no idea what Hipster Runoff is, too. He's an odd choice.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

barkingclam posted:

I agree, but I can also see Carles writing style confusing a lot of people who have no idea what Hipster Runoff is, too. He's an odd choice.

I think it's a joke that wears thin pretty quickly anyway, but this definitely doesn't help in terms of public perception. You have all this normal writing and then...that, with no real explanation of what it is.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Yeah, that Carles guy makes absolutely no sense outside the context of his site and even less sense on a website populated by a man whose pop culture references seem frozen in flannel and a guy whose music criticism gimmick is based on naval-gazing sincerity. I'll always have a soft spot for Klosterman because I was introduced to him as a guest on Simmons's podcast that actually forced Simmons to attempt to reflect on his own career which made for a fairly interesting conversation.

know pimping your own poo poo here is usually bad form, but I thought initially that Grantland sucked poo poo, and I haven't had any reason to reconsider.

This guy's blog is pretty awesome and has an interesting article on Deadspin and Grantland.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 23, 2011

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
Simmons is definitely a dickhead but I've always read him because he's one of the few writes about basketball a lot. I'd say though the young NBA writers are miles ahead of him. The Shoalses, Dwyers and The Basketball Joneses. I wonder why Simmons has never given them any props or a shout out or even a mention seeing as they're in a relatively small field of "internet NBA writers" and he's in a way privileged position.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

jyrka posted:

Simmons is definitely a dickhead but I've always read him because he's one of the few writes about basketball a lot. I'd say though the young NBA writers are miles ahead of him. The Shoalses, Dwyers and The Basketball Joneses. I wonder why Simmons has never given them any props or a shout out or even a mention seeing as they're in a relatively small field of "internet NBA writers" and he's in a way privileged position.

He sort of did then changed his mind. Shoals was pretty unkind to The Book of Basketball in a few venues.

Edit: Also, FD protege Eric Freeman has done some writing for Grantland.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 23, 2011

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I'm going to balance some of this out by saying that Chuck Klosterman can, now and always, burn in hell, and he can take Carles with him

We need to go back in time and stop David Foster Wallace from killing himself. Then also go back in time further and like, I dunno, make him like baseball.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Eschaton wouldn't have worked nearly as well with baseball so I cannot go along with that plan.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
If there's one thing I'm confident in, it's that David Foster Wallace would have been able to come up with something to make it work

Or he just would have written something else, possibly better

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
SI_PeterKing Peter King
I guess Tim Tebow was Den's 4th-best QB when he led Broncs to 24-second-half pts and 24-23 win over Houston.

I'm not sure if he's being serious or sarcastic, but who cares what Tebow does against guys who will be cut in the next two weeks?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Bigass Moth posted:

SI_PeterKing Peter King
I guess Tim Tebow was Den's 4th-best QB when he led Broncs to 24-second-half pts and 24-23 win over Houston.

I'm not sure if he's being serious or sarcastic, but who cares what Tebow does against guys who will be cut in the next two weeks?

He's talking about a game that actually counted last year (yes the Texans were shameful thanks for asking)

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

rebel1608 posted:

He's talking about a game that actually counted last year (yes the Texans were shameful thanks for asking)

Peter King and sample size, two concepts that don't go together. Using his idiotic metric you can make a lot of lovely QBs look really good.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden
Apparently Deadspin snuck Tommy Craggs into an ESPN State of the Union meeting and he was escorted from the premises by ESPN security.

:suspense:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Deadspin continues to put me in the strange position of rooting for ESPN.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Apparently Deadspin snuck Tommy Craggs into an ESPN State of the Union meeting and he was escorted from the premises by ESPN security.

:suspense:

Is the childish article about it up on Deadspin yet?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Groucho Marxist posted:

Is the childish article about it up on Deadspin yet?

Here are the INCREDIBLY COMPELLING results.

Honestly, what were they expecting to glean from something so boring and corporate? Have they never been to a company-wide meeting before? Those things are abysmal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Here are the INCREDIBLY COMPELLING results.

Honestly, what were they expecting to glean from something so boring and corporate? Have they never been to a company-wide meeting before? Those things are abysmal.

Dalerio basically made his career by looking over Stu Scott's shoulder while he sent a text (or more likely making a story about doing that up) so maybe they were going to steal Scott Van Pelt's cell phone or something.

Or more likely just snicker about being in there and act like they had scored a dramatic victory in the ~War Against Traditional Media~