Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eriic
Aug 9, 2009

Twisp, is this a truth? Do you do evil?

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

:words: Trademark Dilution :words:

According to that article, trademark dilution typically applies to infringements by products that are not related to or competing with the original trademarked product, which probably doesn't apply to Scrolls.

I think a more relevant article is the Maintaining Rights subsection of the Trademark article. Based on the wording there, I think people are really exaggerating the need for Bethesda to so aggressively defend their trademark. As Notch mentioned on his twitter earlier, there are a lot of games that contain "Rage" and "Doom" in their titles, and no lawsuits ever came of id using those names.

"It is not necessary for a trademark owner to take enforcement action against all infringement if it can be shown that the owner perceived the infringement to be minor and inconsequential. This is designed to prevent owners from continually being tied up in litigation for fear of cancellation."

I don't think any sane person would argue that Mojang's use of the word "Scrolls" is anything more than minor or inconsequential infringement, if it could even be considered infringement at all. I think the suit is a clear cut case of lawyers trying to justify their retainers with frivolous bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Well if Notch's recent picture is anything to go by, oceans appear to be really big now. So boats and ports might actually have a use now.

Agreed. The problem with minecraft SMP servers is that generally there is "spawn town" which is the group of buildings the first 7 or 8 people who sign on to the server build (who then lose interest before the die-hards log in weeks or months later) and then there is the second city built a couple hundred blocks from spawn because someone said "hey this looks like a good spot because it is relatively flat" and for no other reason.

Which totally flies in the face of real reasons why someone would choose a location to build a city (protected port city (San Francisco, London, Miami, LA, New York City, Barcelona, Rio de Janeiro, Baltimore), good farmland (Kansas City, Orlando, Mexico City, Albany), crossroads between various port cities and farming communities (Dallas, St. Louis, New Orleans). Nobody cared about building on a port in minecraft because there are so few bodies of water big enough that you can't see the shore from where you're standing, and protected coves are so drat small. You're lucky if you can fit 5 or 10 boats in most "harbors" on a typical map. Terrain has always been really flat and farming was never something most people did besides for getting the achievement.

So here's hoping those islands are huge and they tweak some of their code to generate some excellent natural harbors. Cities should pop up more naturally on SMP servers if the geography is at all reflective of the real world.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Boats would also become infinitely more useful if bodies of water weren't generated as a bunch of ponds separated by thin strips of land. Having long, winding rivers would be awesome.

Indeed, however boats handle horribly and in my experience are only worth using when you have a straight line to travel down. I make extensive use of soul sand canals in my strip mines, but outside of that I rarely touch boats. I think trying to travel down that river in a boat would be very frustrating. So I'm hoping Notch tweaks their controls.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Agreed. The problem with minecraft SMP servers is that generally there is "spawn town" which is the group of buildings the first 7 or 8 people who sign on to the server build (who then lose interest before the die-hards log in weeks or months later) and then there is the second city built a couple hundred blocks from spawn because someone said "hey this looks like a good spot because it is relatively flat" and for no other reason.

Which totally flies in the face of real reasons why someone would choose a location to build a city (protected port city (San Francisco, London, Miami, LA, New York City, Barcelona, Rio de Janeiro, Baltimore), good farmland (Kansas City, Orlando, Mexico City, Albany), crossroads between various port cities and farming communities (Dallas, St. Louis, New Orleans). Nobody cared about building on a port in minecraft because there are so few bodies of water big enough that you can't see the shore from where you're standing, and protected coves are so drat small. You're lucky if you can fit 5 or 10 boats in most "harbors" on a typical map. Terrain has always been really flat and farming was never something most people did besides for getting the achievement.

So here's hoping those islands are huge and they tweak some of their code to generate some excellent natural harbors. Cities should pop up more naturally on SMP servers if the geography is at all reflective of the real world.

If i had to list problems with SMP i honestly dont think people not following proper urban planning logic would make my top ten.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
I recorded a video to show off a texture pack to friends but it did not turn out well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FK-F6f5SNh0

Anybody have any codecs/settings to share? I used FFDshow but the bitrate was fairly high. The raw video was 2gb, that dog won't hunt.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Hadlock posted:

You'll never see proper urban planning like you want because people don't need to export/import goods in Minecraft.

Maybe if Notch ever adds some kind of automatic route following boat that has a storage chest inside it so you can have waterborne commerce....

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

trandorian posted:

You'll never ...
Maybe if Notch ever adds some kind of automatic route following boat that has a storage chest inside it so you can have waterborne commerce....

And pirates!

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

trandorian posted:

You'll never see proper urban planning like you want because people don't need to export/import goods in Minecraft.

even if they did need to import/export, powered rail through the nether is a much faster mode of travel than boat.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

I had no idea he was writing for Scrolls.

Seizureman
Dec 27, 2009

FABULOUS
Ideas: Redstone camera and screen. Place camera and wire it to a screen to make a surveillance system, link screens to make a bigger screen. Then show live arena battles in a movie theater.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Seizureman posted:

Ideas: Redstone camera and screen. Place camera and wire it to a screen to make a surveillance system, link screens to make a bigger screen. Then show live arena battles in a movie theater.

And why don't we implement the rest of the Garry's Mod Wiremod plugin while we're at it?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, I'm just saying that it doesn't make much sense to have high-powered circuit-based technology within the world of Minecraft that isn't :spergin:-made.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Seizureman posted:

Here you go:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/318060-173-cctv-block-v22-video-camscreen/

direct (de ad.fly'd) download link

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 19, 2011

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
Game: Lawnmowing.

Players build Two 40x40 square arenas on flat land. You are given 25 bonemeal to seed your opponents area. After 'go' is called, first to clear their lawn wins. Requires a referee. Probably.

Preliminary competition: First person to collect 10 bones wins!

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Markus Persson posted:

Notch uses Zoned Biome Cache on Performance. It's super effective.

Regardless of the lame pokemon joke, it looks like we might be getting some performance improvements, maybe? Or maybe he just completely killed the performance of 1.8 by messing with biomes and is now bringing it back up.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Amppelix posted:

Regardless of the lame pokemon joke, it looks like we might be getting some performance improvements, maybe? Or maybe he just completely killed the performance of 1.8 by messing with biomes and is now bringing it back up.
One of their behemoths to slay is getting a big performance overhaul before 11/11/11 whatever the gently caress the new release date is. If they can get in some work toward that in 1.8 without breaking even with performance hits brought on by the Adventure Update features, that's great.

If they actually do break even, or worse yet, end up making the game run shittier, they can wave goodbye to any significant performance boost before release. Seriously they really don't have alot of time to get out a not-buggy product from now to release, let alone one that actually you know functions better than previous versions.

It'll come some day though. :3:

Fiblah
Jul 22, 2007
I built a library on my server that no one but me plays on ( :smith: ) so I'm posting some screenshots of it so others can see. Took me a few days of work and I'm kind of happy with the outcome.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there any sign of when 1.8 is going to be out? I've been getting the minecraft itch lately, but I kind of want to hold off on generating a new world until I can get one with ravines, strongholds, rivers, and oceans, so all I've got in the meantime is blueprinting a huge trap tower/mob farm that will probably be promptly disassembled from the inside by endermen.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Bakanogami posted:

Is there any sign of when 1.8 is going to be out? I've been getting the minecraft itch lately, but I kind of want to hold off on generating a new world until I can get one with ravines, strongholds, rivers, and oceans, so all I've got in the meantime is blueprinting a huge trap tower/mob farm that will probably be promptly disassembled from the inside by endermen.

Last I heard it was still going to be the week after PAX, which ends on the 28th of this month.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm resisting exploring in nay of my single player worlds until 1.8 comes out. I want weird conflicts between world generation methods to be as close to what I usually play in as possible.

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

iRend posted:

Game: Lawnmowing.

Players build Two 40x40 square arenas on flat land. You are given 25 bonemeal to seed your opponents area. After 'go' is called, first to clear their lawn wins. Requires a referee. Probably.

Preliminary competition: First person to collect 10 bones wins!

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.
I've pruned my singleplayer world that I'd been playing since April down to just around my main stronghold, and then installed the Great Wall Mod with the Infinite Cities setting. Then I went in the game and explored around the edges of my map to generate lots of sandstone towers in a nice little circle. Once 1.8 hits, the Infinite Cities will serve as the demarcation point between old and new terrain.

I just really hope that the Real Time mod gets updated rather quick for 1.8, as I had gotten used to peacefully building during the daytime and hiding out and hunting monsters at night...both in real life AND in Minecraft. :D

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Fiblah posted:

I built a library on my server that no one but me plays on ( :smith: ) so I'm posting some screenshots of it so others can see. Took me a few days of work and I'm kind of happy with the outcome.

If you want some people to join up, make a thread in PGS about it.

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

trandorian posted:

I'm resisting exploring in nay of my single player worlds until 1.8 comes out. I want weird conflicts between world generation methods to be as close to what I usually play in as possible.

I can almost guarantee you that the weird conflicts will be very large this patch. You might just want to retire those worlds when 1.8 is released.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
I asked in the modding thread as well, not 100% sure where to post this:

Just a very quick question, but when trying to connect to multiplayer servers, I'll get a really long delay, followed by a random disconnect message, most typically being "Connection Lost: End of Stream." Is there something I can do to rectify this, or is the minecraft server hosed?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
That error comes up when the server is down.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

Servaetes posted:

I asked in the modding thread as well, not 100% sure where to post this:

Just a very quick question, but when trying to connect to multiplayer servers, I'll get a really long delay, followed by a random disconnect message, most typically being "Connection Lost: End of Stream." Is there something I can do to rectify this, or is the minecraft server hosed?

Sometimes exiting and restarting the client will work, other times it's just a matter of waiting.

That error doesn't always mean the server is down though, because I've gotten it multiple times when trying to connect to my own server which I KNOW is up. It's just another annoying SMP bug.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Tried to use the Minecraft memory increase shortcut ("C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx4096M -Xms4096M -jar "C:\{path to minecraft.exe}\Minecraft.exe"). No dice. It doesn't DO anything.

e: That is, once I add the new target the shortcut becomes defunct and stops working.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Tactical Grace posted:

Tried to use the Minecraft memory increase shortcut ("C:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw.exe" -Xmx4096M -Xms4096M -jar "C:\{path to minecraft.exe}\Minecraft.exe"). No dice. It doesn't DO anything.

e: That is, once I add the new target the shortcut becomes defunct and stops working.

How many gigs of RAM do you have (if you only have 2 gigs, setting it to free up 4 gigs might not work so well).

Also, you did actually enter your path to minecraft and not just leave it as "path to minecraft.exe" right?

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

How many gigs of RAM do you have (if you only have 2 gigs, setting it to free up 4 gigs might not work so well).

Also, you did actually enter your path to minecraft and not just leave it as "path to minecraft.exe" right?

4 and yes I did. Mystery.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Tactical Grace posted:

If you have 4 GB of RAM and have things other than Minecraft running how would you allocate 4 GB to it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Tactical Grace posted:

Did you try 2048 or something and see if that works? Allocating 100% of your memory to minecraft isn't exactly possible.

Zero Trust
Dec 29, 2009

"the car's on fire, and there's no driver at the wheel..."

Fiblah posted:

I would come look at your library :unsmith:

Also I dig this strange hexagonal texture pack of yours. (is it yours?)

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

Epileptic Nazi posted:

Also I dig this strange hexagonal texture pack of yours. (is it yours?)
That would be the Sphax PureBDCraft Pack

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Insanity Prawn posted:

That would be the Sphax PureBDCraft Pack

This is an amazing pack and I remember a few pages back it was being customized to work with the YogBox. What's the status on that?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qxan posted:

I can almost guarantee you that the weird conflicts will be very large this patch. You might just want to retire those worlds when 1.8 is released.

Heh I think I wasn't clear. I want to have the bizarre edge clashes as close to where I have bases already as possible.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Epileptic Nazi posted:

I would come look at your library :unsmith:

I also like your library. It's very NYPL-meets-glass-Bodleian. I'd hang out there.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Yeah It turns out that I needed to use less than half of my available RAM, Minecraft is running very nicely now. I'm building that functional lighthouse from a few pages ago on a bigger scale.

Gnarly Bae Jepsen
Jul 12, 2007

Manic Pixie Dick Girl

I have a feeling that the user ase for Pokemon and Minecraft overlap a lot. If your in that circle, you may enjoy this Pokemon mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiEOR7tV4eI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiEOR7tV4eI

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They might enjoy it more in the Minecraft modding thread.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3430195

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
That said, I'm glad you accidentally posted that here because while I usually don't care for mods (and don't follow the mod thread because of it) that is awesome.