Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Buy my wasteful extra poo poo? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3432221

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

pipebomb posted:

Buy my wasteful extra poo poo? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3432221

ndrake bought the 128GB Air SSD I take it?

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Samsung 470 has fantastic garbage collection without TRIM enabled and is what Apple uses (though the Apple variant has official TRIM support).

Are there any others? I thought the drives that Apple uses were relatively slow?

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

Bob Morales posted:

ndrake bought the 128GB Air SSD I take it?

Oh, not yet, no. Want 2nd dibs at $160 shipped?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Crush posted:

Are there any others? I thought the drives that Apple uses were relatively slow?
Not sure where you're reading that. Samsung and Toshiba's SSDs might not be top-tier fast, but they're hardly low-end SSDs.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

SSD installed and running great at the moment, going to upgrade to Lion soon and then enable TRIM on the drive (Vertex 2). Everything is so quick now, no more bottlenecks :D

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.
I'm going to have to get rid of my old Logitech solar keyboards and get these new made for mac ones:

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.

KingEup posted:

I'm going to have to get rid of my old Logitech solar keyboards and get these new made for mac ones:

Ya - preordered one last night. Very slick and I already use a mini-usb Logitech kb. Not a fan of BT.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Am I right in thinking that the Educational Store gives you 3 years warranty for free?

When I'm looking on the site, it seems that the extras that you can buy are the extended telephone warranty, which I don't think I"m going to need as I have an Apple Store in my city. Is there anything else that this offers which I'm missing? Can't really find any terms and conditions anywhere.

Edit: In the UK.

In Australia they used to offer free AppleCare for all educational purchases but that stopped a few years ago so I'd be surprised if the UK still got it.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

KingEup posted:

Hopefully they do one that doesn't have the drat numberpad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

If you're in school the iPad is definitely the luxury. Having a small laptop with an awesome keyboard owns. There's nothing the iPad can do that the MBA can't.
Anything involving handwriting or drawing...well you can with a tablet but it's a nicer experience drawing directly on the screen itself.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Not sure where you're reading that. Samsung and Toshiba's SSDs might not be top-tier fast, but they're hardly low-end SSDs.
Well they kind of are these days, but that's just relative to the newer super fast drives. They're all fast as hell and probably not noticeably different in actual use for most people. It's like this guy's :iiaca: at 2:50.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BlackMK4 posted:

Hopefully they do one that doesn't have the drat numberpad.
Personally I can't live without the numberpad. Unless I'm typing up a document where I only need a couple of numbers, I almost always switch to the numberpad for number entry.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

pipebomb posted:

Oh, not yet, no. Want 2nd dibs at $160 shipped?

Not sure, I might end up selling my C2D 11" and getting a i5. I'd give you $75 and my 64GB though.

Flyndre
Sep 6, 2009
I've got a logitech MX518 and I'd like to make the back and forward buttons work in osx. I've heard about multiple programs which is supposed to be able to do this, usb overdrive, steermouse etc. Does anyone have experiences on which ones work well in general and in Lion?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Flyndre posted:

I've got a logitech MX518 and I'd like to make the back and forward buttons work in osx. I've heard about multiple programs which is supposed to be able to do this, usb overdrive, steermouse etc. Does anyone have experiences on which ones work well in general and in Lion?

I have this mouse too and I use steermouse in Lion with no issues.

I haven't gotten USB overdrive to be able to map all of the buttons correctly. I can't get it to ignore the dpi/speed changing buttons. (It will assign them but still also honor the dpi change, steermouse will override it.)

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

KingEup posted:

I am stoked about this keyboard. I ordered my iMac with a Bluetooth keyboard, so I think that when I break down and get an iPad (I've been holding out for the high-res iPad 3), this will be a natural transition for my iMac so I can have the Bluetooth keyboard for taking notes and stuff.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I'm selling my Late 2008 Unibody MacBook with SSD in SA-Mart. See also: a Magic Mouse for those who might be interested.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3432321

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Grr, Lion reset a lot more settings than I thought it did. Time to be that guy and go out to the coffee shop and spend a few hours tweaking the poo poo out of it.

Again though, holy gently caress, SSD. Everyone get one now! 2011 MBA owners can piss off :colbert:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
In case anyone was waiting on Amazon to pull the trigger on a new 11" MBA, looks like they're back in stock. 13" models still seem to be out, however.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

movax posted:

Again though, holy gently caress, SSD. Everyone get one now! 2011 MBA owners can piss off :colbert:
This. HDD died in my 2010 13" MBP and I just replaced it with a Corsair F60. :flashfap:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Aug 20, 2011

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
Didn't everyone bitch about how SSD's weren't so great when they first came out?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Didn't everyone bitch about how SSD's weren't so great when they first came out?

I early adopted. It was mainly cost that was a pain in the rear end, and the whole garbage collection issue. I lead a charmed life when it comes to avoiding firmware issues apaprently.

Got TRIM enabled and running on Lion (don't use Trim Enabler, this post is perfect), and I re-installed QuickSilver. loving productive as hell now, this MBP flies, gently caress beachballs forever :smug:

Ordered a 7200rpm 320GB WD Black (was going to keep the stock drive, but 5400rpm :smith:) for the Optibay now, will do 160/160 HFS+ and Boot Camp. Should be fun!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

movax posted:

Got TRIM enabled and running on Lion (don't use Trim Enabler, this post is perfect), and I re-installed QuickSilver. loving productive as hell now, this MBP flies, gently caress beachballs forever :smug:

Thank you for this :) Moving to Lion tonight for the first time.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

BlackMK4 posted:

Thank you for this :) Moving to Lion tonight for the first time.

I haven't applied the 10.7.1 patch yet (I have a friend that has a messed-up 2008 Macbook with Lion after he tried updating to that...I'll hold off for a bit, I guess), but you have to do that modification every time you update Lion. Minor niggle really.

Also last software derail, apparently my /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/InfoPlist.strings file has gotten corrupted or something (I had it edited under Snow Leopard to sort Folders before Files when sorting by 'Kind') could a kind Lion using goon PM me if you'd be willing to send me yours? :)

e: got a PM from a kind goon (thanks man!), but it looks the exact same as mine, so I guess mine isn't corrupted...it's just weird. I want to try and use this tweak.

movax fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 21, 2011

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rubiks Pubes posted:

The ones in the first rev MBA were particularly bad. Barely faster than a lovely 4200 rpm disk and didn't use much less battery either.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
So ripped apart the iMac to put the Kingston SSD in it. Came apart really easy, threw it under the ODD.

Screen even went back on right.

Although there is a hitch. CPU and ODD fans are running at full tilt....but not sure why. HDD which is the one I was worried about, is idling...

Edit: Already tried resetting the SMC, but maybe I'm doing it wrong?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Did you check your sensors to make sure they're reporting properly?

Edit: your post made me double-check my sensors in istatsmenu and the 0C HDD sensor is gone now. Must've been a bug in the software :toot:

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

flyboi posted:

Did you check your sensors to make sure they're reporting properly?

Edit: your post made me double-check my sensors in istatsmenu and the 0C HDD sensor is gone now. Must've been a bug in the software :toot:

I guess I didn't know where to check them. Will check istatmenu now...

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

MrEnigma posted:

I guess I didn't know where to check them. Will check istatmenu now...

Edit: hmm, everything appears to be reporting a temp. Would it just show N/A if it couldn't?

Edit2: Weird ones are CPU A, and Power Supply 2, but no Power Supply 1

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 21, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

MrEnigma posted:

Edit: hmm, everything appears to be reporting a temp. Would it just show N/A if it couldn't?

On my MBP at least when the discreet gpu is disabled the ambient sensor reads -256C. I would imagine if you had sensor issues it would do something similar. If you go into sys information and click Diagnostics does it say Passed?

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

flyboi posted:

On my MBP at least when the discreet gpu is disabled the ambient sensor reads -256C. I would imagine if you had sensor issues it would do something similar. If you go into sys information and click Diagnostics does it say Passed?

It does say passed there. So maybe it is SMC? When I first plugged it in it fired right up, which they say can cause the SMC stuff...

Edit: Here is the iStat Sensors:

MrEnigma fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Aug 21, 2011

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Perhaps, but the SMC should've reset when you were doing the upgrade since it was unplugged for so long. You could try resetting it by unplugging the machine and holding the power button for 10 seconds.

Edit: also http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1433

flyboi fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 21, 2011

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

flyboi posted:

Perhaps, but the SMC should've reset when you were doing the upgrade since it was unplugged for so long. You could try resetting it by unplugging the machine and holding the power button for 10 seconds.

Edit: also http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1433

Yeah I saw that already, and tried it. Just tried it again (turned it off, unplugged everything, let it sit, then plugged the power cord in and let it sit that way for awhile before turning it on).

Nothing. Kind of annoyed, the physical part of adding the SSD was way easier than I thought it would be, but now this part is the frustrating part.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Were you using Celsius or Fahrenheit to display your temperatures? Because if that's Celsius something's wrong with your sensors.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

flyboi posted:

Were you using Celsius or Fahrenheit to display your temperatures? Because if that's Celsius something's wrong with your sensors.

Fahrenheit.

Interestingly enough, this time when I booted up, HDD sensors show '-'. Didn't even appear in the previous screenshot.

Edit: I used the cable that wasn't supposed to have any issues either, not sure what happened. Also weird that everything but the HDD fan is spun up.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

movax posted:

SSD installed and running great at the moment, going to upgrade to Lion soon and then enable TRIM on the drive (Vertex 2). Everything is so quick now, no more bottlenecks :D
I have just installed an Intel 320 series 160GB SSD in my MB Pro 13" and also installed Lion freshly on it. How do you enable TRIM, as it says it isn't enabled in System Profiler?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

You Am I posted:

I have just installed an Intel 320 series 160GB SSD in my MB Pro 13" and also installed Lion freshly on it. How do you enable TRIM, as it says it isn't enabled in System Profiler?

Read up a few posts. ;)

Just moved to Lion, I think I might go back. It's significantly slower.
edit: Oh, spotlight is indexing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

BlackMK4 posted:

Read up a few posts. ;)

Just moved to Lion, I think I might go back. It's significantly slower.

Thanks, found it and changed the setting.

Not too sure about the speed thing with Lion, as I have swapped my old 10.6.8 which was on a normal HDD to Lion on a SSD. Things like swapping multiple desktops seem speedy to me.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I talked with my friend who repairs Apples for a living. He said to check all your sensors and make sure they're actually plugged in properly and seated. More than likely the ODD sensor isn't plugged in or seated properly which is causing the problem. He said that even though it's one sensor it can cause all the fans to go out of control.

Also comparing to my menu it looks like you might want to check your LCD cables as I don't see a proximity sensor listed on yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

flyboi posted:

I talked with my friend who repairs Apples for a living. He said to check all your sensors and make sure they're actually plugged in properly and seated. More than likely the ODD sensor isn't plugged in or seated properly which is causing the problem. He said that even though it's one sensor it can cause all the fans to go out of control.

Also comparing to my menu it looks like you might want to check your LCD cables as I don't see a proximity sensor listed on yours.

Yeah I pulled it apart again, checked all the cables, nothing seemed to be out of order, but I reseated most of the sensors.

Put it back together, turned it on, monitor didn't come on, and when I waited fans still cranked it.

So I cracked it open again. Bent a couple of microscopic pins on the video cable, but somehow got it attached again, turned it on, and fans aren't running. I also now see the proximity sensors on the lcd, so maybe that was it, very odd.

Anyways, I'm now scared to death of touching that monitor cable (can the entire thing be replaced, or does the lcd have to be replaced then?), but everything is working, so woo hoo.

Thanks a bunch for your help, it's why I love these forums.