Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Wednesday was exactly 6 months since I had a cigarette.

Longest I've ever gone since starting :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
For the chantix users, how long did it take you to feel the effects? I'm on the 5th day and I feel exactly the same. The only noticeable change has been the hosed up dreams. Last night, both my ex girlfriend and Dave Foley insulted me.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
That's a week for me now, booya. It got progressively harder till the fourth day, then cravings started dropping off dramatically over the next few days and seem to have plateaued a bit now. It's still not great, but the difference is huge.

Now I'm worried that now I've hit the first big milestone, my enthusiasm and determination is going to start wavering. The novelty of going cold turkey in the war against addiction because I'm so loving mentally strong is going to wear off soon, so hopefully the cravings die down even more in the next few days.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Within the past hour I've hit 4 years quit. I can't remember the last time I even thought about having a cigarette. It's pretty great.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Quit cold last Sunday. User dreams and mild insomnia aside, not that bad this time.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Phew, it's soon 3 months without lighting a single cig or taking a single puff. I've used no medical drugs or any subtitutes of any kind. I just haven't smoked.

I've started to feel a bit smug about it already. "Haah, I had the willpower to quit, YOU weakling just keep on killing yourselves. :smug:" I guess that's how it must be.

Anyone else here feel a bit smug about quitting when you see your friends smoke?

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

We've been the best team all year.

They're just finding out.

Keisari posted:

Phew, it's soon 3 months without lighting a single cig or taking a single puff. I've used no medical drugs or any subtitutes of any kind. I just haven't smoked.

I've started to feel a bit smug about it already. "Haah, I had the willpower to quit, YOU weakling just keep on killing yourselves. :smug:" I guess that's how it must be.

Anyone else here feel a bit smug about quitting when you see your friends smoke?

I feel smug sometimes. Jealous others. Mostly just sad for them.

IrritationX
May 5, 2004

Bitch, what you don't know about me I can just about squeeze in the Grand fucking Canyon.

Keisari posted:

I'm just satisfied that I'm not tempted to bum one now.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

FuriousxGeorge posted:

I feel smug sometimes. Jealous others. Mostly just sad for them.

This is actually a more accurate description, it's more like a mixture of sad and worried for them and some smugness added to it.

Swoon
Jun 14, 2008

Keisari posted:

I have moments of smugness but it usually isn't directed at anyone specific. It's just me sitting around by myself and suddenly my face does this :smug:

Mostly I feel anxious for my smoker friends. I watched smoking kill my mother last October. I can't bring myself to even contemplate going through that again with someone else I love. Regardless, if I can't quietly inspire them to quit there's going to be an awkward conversation in our future.

LizzieBorden
Dec 6, 2009

She's hackin' and wackin' and smackin'
She just hacks, wacks, chopping that meat

astrollinthepork posted:

For the chantix users, how long did it take you to feel the effects? I'm on the 5th day and I feel exactly the same. The only noticeable change has been the hosed up dreams. Last night, both my ex girlfriend and Dave Foley insulted me.

About a week, I quit after 14 days. I started to disike the smell, then I couldn't finish a cigarette, then I stopped.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Swoon posted:

I have moments of smugness but it usually isn't directed at anyone specific. It's just me sitting around by myself and suddenly my face does this :smug:

Mostly I feel anxious for my smoker friends. I watched smoking kill my mother last October. I can't bring myself to even contemplate going through that again with someone else I love. Regardless, if I can't quietly inspire them to quit there's going to be an awkward conversation in our future.

When I tell my friends it's been months since my last smoke, they give me this "I really should quit" while smoking a cigarette at the same time.

Regardless, my father has a chance of meeting the same demise as your mother, but he's not there yet. Listening to the coughing, panting and starting breathing problems.
I know he uses gums and that poo poo but I know he still smokes every now and then, otherwise his lungs wouldn't do all those messed up noises.

It's sad indeed. :smith:

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Swoon posted:

The best time to :smug: is when you see tobacco company marketing.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

FuriousxGeorge posted:

The best time to :smug: is when you see tobacco company marketing.

Is that illegal in US? It's illegal in Finland (where I live) and I'm sure it's illegal in many European countries.

FuriousxGeorge
Aug 8, 2007

Keisari posted:

Is that illegal in US? It's illegal in Finland (where I live) and I'm sure it's illegal in many European countries.

It's very heavily restricted, but there is still some of it. At the very least there are in-store displays and material and some print ads.

Keisari
May 24, 2011

FuriousxGeorge posted:

It's very heavily restricted, but there is still some of it. At the very least there are in-store displays and material and some print ads.

Ah. I see. I guess total ban of tobacco ads isn't far away there.

njark
Apr 26, 2008

Show them the Wasteland
So i stopped smoking 3 weeks ago and it wasn't to bad ( 1 pack a day smoker for 4ish years ) and the last few days have been really awful I've barely manage to control myself by not getting a pack and even now i was reading back in the thread ( page 16 or so ) with the dude talking about e-cigs and now i'm starting to rationalize getting one even though ( personally ) i think it's a terrible idea.

So far I've made a promise to myself if i even had 1 cig i couldn't listen to my favorite band ever again (kind of a weird thing to banish myself from i guess?)
the first time i quit smoking i had gotten pneumonia and i was to afraid to smoke but i didn't want to quit and that only lasted 3 or so months but it was a easy 3 months until the craving i'm having now started and i caved in so its really hard to not think about smoking.

wow that was a wall of text sorry about that also if it has bad spelling/grammar i'm blaming that it's 2 am here. :colbert:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

njark posted:

So i stopped smoking 3 weeks ago and it wasn't to bad ( 1 pack a day smoker for 4ish years ) and the last few days have been really awful I've barely manage to control myself by not getting a pack and even now i was reading back in the thread ( page 16 or so ) with the dude talking about e-cigs and now i'm starting to rationalize getting one even though ( personally ) i think it's a terrible idea.

You're already past the physical dependency, so just keep in mind that everything you're dealing with right now is all in your head.

Don't get an e-cigarette, you've already made it this far. And tbh, at least 50% of the reason for smoking is that it looks cool. People smoking e-cigarettes do not look cool, at all. No offense to those of you who use them or anything, but I'm not wrong.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
On the 4th it will have been a month since I quit cold turkey. Had been smoking around 14 years, since I was 18. My method? Good motivation (baby daughter arriving in November coupled with ever-increasing age and thus odds of not living to see her grow up) and mints (Polos for all you UK goons). After every meal or any time I fancied a smoke I'd eat a few Polos in succession; this gave me a new ritual, and a minty taste which would have made a ciggy taste disgusting.

I smoked roll-ups and never much liked the smell of standard cigs. For the first few weeks or so of quitting, however, they would smell like manna from heaven. Now I feel like I'm over some major hurdles and have passed the first really significant tests: a holiday in New York with lots of heavy meals, and my cousin's stag do this past weekend. Not a single puff of tobacco. Cigs and roll-ups now smell pretty horrible. The psychological cravings hit me far worse than the physical ones, but even those are all but gone now.

I've smoked weed once or twice in this period, pure, and like a poster a few pages ago I'm conflicted about what to do on this point in the future. I want to be able get stoned now and again, but don't want to keep to smoking it pure forever (am doing it for the moment for obvious reasons). If I wait a year or so and then have the occasional weekend smoking tobacco joints, how much is that going to increase the likelihood of me smoking cigs again? At the moment it really doesn't feel like I'll ever do that again, but I know that doesn't necessarily prove anything.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

21 years!

njark posted:

Don't give in now, when you're already past the worst of the physical cravings.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Almost bought a pack after the wife was pissing me off this evening. But I had the brain power to sit and tell myself that it would start a habit again, that there is no just.one pack, and I would be back to $70 a month habit again.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Pharmaskittle posted:

Don't get an e-cigarette, you've already made it this far.

Wait until the battery dies while you're away from a means to charge it.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
This may seem stupid to you guys, but, I started smoking about a month ago. I said I might aswell give it a go being 18 and all even though the thought never crossed my mind. I have alot of French and Spanish friends here in Barcelona who mostly smoke so I caved. I've been smoking 3-4 sticks a day for about 4 weeks now, and today, I finally caught myself and realized what I was doing. All that time telling myself as a kid that I was always going to stay away from cigarettes caught up with me today.

Giving it the cold shoulder before I end up smoking more and more. Hell, I remember first starting telling myself a stick a day would be all I'd do.

Wish me luck. :shobon:

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Shogunner posted:

This may seem stupid to you guys, but, I started smoking about a month ago. I said I might aswell give it a go being 18 and all even though the thought never crossed my mind. I have alot of French and Spanish friends here in Barcelona who mostly smoke so I caved. I've been smoking 3-4 sticks a day for about 4 weeks now, and today, I finally caught myself and realized what I was doing. All that time telling myself as a kid that I was always going to stay away from cigarettes caught up with me today.

Giving it the cold shoulder before I end up smoking more and more. Hell, I remember first starting telling myself a stick a day would be all I'd do.

Wish me luck. :shobon:

Oh believe me, it does seem quite stupid, to understate it a lot. Good to see you come to your senses soon enough. Stop it now, it's much more easier this early on.

You've realized how it slowly progresses. "Only a stick a day, it's all I'm asking for and will always be satisfied by only one", and then it keeps growing. "Only twelve a day, it isn't THAT much, not like I'm a pack-a-day smoker"

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008
It's been a little over a month without tobacco now. For the first time last night, I had a dream with tobacco involved and I didn't smoke. I have had dreams where I didn't smoke before, but that seemed to be because there were no cigarettes in the dream. But last night I dreamt I was at a party somewhere and I walked outside to where people were smoking and I didn't bum one or pull a pack out of my pocket. I guess that's supposed to be a good thing. I like being able to smoke in my dreams though. I hope I still get them once in a while.

Chippita
Jun 12, 2006

by Shine
Been 3 days, and I have very little desire to smoke already.

Seeing your stepdad die of lung cancer after the first 2 days of no smoking is a great way to motivate yourself into stopping smoking forever.

wharf cat
Aug 9, 2005

What's that jackass doing.. I KNOW YOU asshole
Smoked 1/2 pack a day for three years.

Did the patches for a month, a month ago.

2 months clean, longest ever clean.

All I have to say is that I snapped out of it. The time was right.
I couldn't quit until I was ready. So, when you're ready, take the opportunity.

IT Girl
Feb 7, 2005

If you really wanna do something, you just do it. But you don't think about it. That's the difference between you and me.

Schistosity posted:

I'm naturally suspicious with the premise of the book, as I think most reasonable people would. As one who has tried quitting many times unsuccessfully I am willing to read his book, but I am not one who will blindly believe everything I read (which Carr fully agrees to and states multiple times himself in his book.) I do genuinely want to quit and I find his book interesting, but any normal human (that smokes) would find it hard to believe that quitting smoking is painfree and easy, which is the basis of his system.

All I wanted to know is if others have read his book and what their opinion of it is.

I know this was a million pages ago, but reading the thread this morning I've decided to quit and I used Carr's book the last time I quit for a year.

The deal is, everything in his book works if you let go of the part of you that can't accept smoking is bad forYOU. I know we all know that it's bad for us, but I mean in the sense of it's a bad thing you are doing to yourself, and then he breaks down all your rationalization for WHY you do it. (The chapter on physical effects of smoking was cool, finding out it actually activates your body's stress response as opposed to calming it.) You know, the part that says "Well, sure, but that won't happen to me" or "Oh sure, most people are so addicted they could never have another, but I certainly am not that badly off" - basically his book is designed to beat you over the head with the fact that you are paying ungodly amounts of money and doing serious damage to your health and addiction helps you justify all that. He wants you to realize you are addicted, and that what you are addicted to is bad for you, and if you let yourself admit that yeah, you are only addicted to cigarettes because you allow yourself to be for some reason, it really IS easy and painfree to quit, because you go "Oh poo poo, wtf was I thinking?" and your natural response to push away things that will kill you kicks in.

The problem I think is that he wrote it for older people and he himself was an old man, and I think his generation was a little less aware of advertising and social pressures than ours, so it was like a light turned on for him and he couldn't believe anyone else would have the same light turn on and not react the same way, and a lot of people do. This/my generation is a lot more savvy about things, and has a sort of detachment from self-destruction that wasn't really present in the culture til recently. I think the book works great for some people and not so well for others - it's been my experience that when I wanted to quit and cared for myself and wanted to make myself happy and healthy, his book worked terrifically.

This time, though, it's gonna be Champix. I tried it before and it worked like a charm but I couldn't handle the nausea. It's expensive as hell too, but I know it will work. I'm somewhat depressed lately and working midnights, and smoking is the only thing that gets me a break to go outside, or kills the time between boring events.

I think if I told myself that every smoke I don't have is a step towards overcoming the depressive bout and doing something nice for myself because I deserve good things, it will finally work. *gulp* So here goes.

IT Girl fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 17, 2011

Schistosity
May 15, 2009

IT Girl posted:

I know this was a million pages ago, but reading the thread this morning I've decided to quit and I used Carr's book the last time I quit for a year.

It's pretty funny that you quoted me from way back. I haven't smoked in over 5 months, have zero interest in even considering smoking again. I did read Carr's book completely and still think it's drivel. But if it's what motivates you, more power to you.

Omgawd
Apr 7, 2011
Ive been on the American Spirits for months now and my throat hurts too much to smoke them. I get 1 or 2 relatively pain free smokes, then by the end of the third i have a sore throat.

I can smoke "real" cigarettes a lot easier, however they're more addictive for me and i'd rather just avoid them. My throat suddenly not tolerating smoking is great though, but have a really hosed something up? I have no sore throat without smoking, regular cigarettes dont hurt nearly as much but there's some pain there, but cigarettes #4 and #5 of the day will make me chain cough drops, drink hot coco and eat ice cream, and do anything to get away from the throat pain.

An awesome side affect is how im not as physically addicted as i thought i was. I smoke because im bored or tired, and now that there's such a huge, immediate detriment there for me, I've cut my smoking by more than half. One pack is lasting me 4 days or more, and i'm (nearly) to the point of forgetting im a smoker.

It'd be an awesome way to go out too. So many ex-smokers tell me they'd literally stab a homeless man to get to smoke one more. Quitting because the poo poo hurts too much, as wimpy as it sounds, would be an awesome future deterrent for me.

Omgawd fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 20, 2011

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Stabbing a homeless man for a smoke is only for the first two weeks at most. Anything after that is just them being pussies more or less. I still long for one every once in a while, but the stabbing feelings left pretty early.

I had my first smoking related dream the other night though. I was smoking some cigarette, it was awesome as poo poo and then I had chest pains. Then I woke up. I started to feel guilty and I reminded myself it was just a dream.

gently caress smoking.

Box Hill Strangler
Jun 27, 2007

Frozen peas are on special at Woolies! Bargain!
Just wanted to say that tomorrow is one year. :)

Keisari
May 24, 2011

Gothmog1065 posted:

Stabbing a homeless man for a smoke is only for the first two weeks at most. Anything after that is just them being pussies more or less. I still long for one every once in a while, but the stabbing feelings left pretty early.

I had my first smoking related dream the other night though. I was smoking some cigarette, it was awesome as poo poo and then I had chest pains. Then I woke up. I started to feel guilty and I reminded myself it was just a dream.

gently caress smoking.

Also had a smoking dream a few days ago! I've been without smokes about a hundred days now, I was surprised I could still get one of those dreams. The dream felt very real, I just lit up a cigarette that I had gotten from my friend, not even remembering that I had quit. After the cig was almost done I just remember "Oh poo poo poo poo poo poo! I had quit what the gently caress now I'll have to reset the counter all over again! I can't believe 3 months just went down the drain"

Then I wake up, remember what I saw in the dream and the feeling of relief was just great. 100 days without cigs and still counting, fortunately! :)

Keep going everyone, this is just great.

weed cat
Dec 23, 2010

weed cat is back, and he loves to suck dick

:sueme:
Okay, I posted in this thread once before, and failed pretty badly. I was up to six or seven a day, and I started smoking regularly last winter. So, today is my first quit day. Makes it easy to count the months if the 1st is when I stopped. Here goes...

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

And tbh, at least 50% of the reason for smoking is that it looks cool.

I saw your previous post about quitting but this makes me feel like you've never smoked a cigarette in your entire life

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Hot Cops posted:

I saw your previous post about quitting but this makes me feel like you've never smoked a cigarette in your entire life

was being hyperbolic to support the claim fact that e-cigarettes look stupid. smoking does make you look cool though, even if it's not the main reason to do it.

(still haven't smoked for about a month I guess, woop woop)

ed: like I would probably smoke a pipe in lieu of cigarettes, if it wasn't such a dumb-looking thing for a young person to do

Hot Cops
Apr 27, 2008

Pharmaskittle posted:

was being hyperbolic to support the claim fact that e-cigarettes look stupid. smoking does make you look cool though, even if it's not the main reason to do it.

(still haven't smoked for about a month I guess, woop woop)

ed: like I would probably smoke a pipe in lieu of cigarettes, if it wasn't such a dumb-looking thing for a young person to do

You're right about the e-cigs (which has made it an effective quitting tool for me) but I don't know a single person (I know a ton of smokers in various age ranges) that thinks smoking looks cool.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Hot Cops posted:

You're right about the e-cigs (which has made it an effective quitting tool for me) but I don't know a single person (I know a ton of smokers in various age ranges) that thinks smoking looks cool.
Smoking is iconic as a "cool" activity, what are you talking about? Every movie "cool guy" for 50 years smoked cigarettes. Why do you think so many children start smoking, intellectual curiousity? They built an entire industry out of it.

If you're making a point of how it isn't actually cool and regular smokers don't do it for appearances, they do it to feed the disgusting addictive habit, there's no need. This is a thread full of ex-smokers, we're all aware of the realities of being a smoker.

But to just claim that cigarettes have no societal association to being cool is flat out untrue.

AgentX
Apr 20, 2002
Checking in with about 9 months of smoke free living. I was horribly addicted to them for about five years. My heaviest days had me at two packs a day.

AgentX fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 2, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

With the start of a three day weekend from work, today seemed like the perfect day to finally quit.

Been using the Nicorette mini-lozenges. While the taste isn't bad, the fact that you hold them in your lip is somewhat annoying.

Nonetheless, I made it the whole day without lighting up. Fighting through a craving even as I type this, but I finally feel like I can beat this poo poo.

• Locked thread