Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
1) Did Timur die during his first military campaign?
2) Did Zabulistan successfully resist the Ghaznavid invasion?
3) Did the Mongol invasion of Japan succeed in reaching the island?
4) Did the megafauna in Australia/New Zealand survive human migration into the continent?
5) Did Sundiata Keita die in exile?

1) Yes
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) Nope

Also, as a result of the Mongol invasion of Japan (and probably but not necessarily a dead Timur which allows for maintained control over the SIlk Road), Mongolia is able to establish PAX MONGOLIA, a peaceful time of technological progress which allows it to use its not-destroyed navy to discover the Americas via the Bering Strait and Alaska. This allows for the establishing of a Mongol horde in the American and Canadian Great Plains, the Great Horde of the Lakota, ruled by Muslim Sioux with early horse archer technology. The early transfer of technology also gradually spreads east to the Iroquois, allowing them to maintain their imperialist empire in the American northeast.

Get on it Wiz.

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 20, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I've really got to wonder if Sundiata Keita dying or not will have any effect on this LP. Azerbaijan lacks a Mediterranean coast, and by the time it manages to get out into the Atlantic, that part of Africa will probably have already been infested with Europeans.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. No
4. Yes
5. No

I like diversity, especially the giant marsupial lion kind of diversity.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

1. No
2. No
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
1) No
2) Yes
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) No

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
1) No
2) No
3) Yes
4) Yes
5) No

Crameltonian
Mar 27, 2010
1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1) Did Timur die during his first military campaign? No
2) Did Zabulistan successfully resist the Ghaznavid invasion? Yes
3) Did the Mongol invasion of Japan succeed in reaching the island? Yes
4) Did the megafauna in Australia/New Zealand survive human migration into the continent? Yes
5) Did Sundiata Keita die in exile? No

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I have honestly no idea what most of these options would do, particularly 2 and 5 (and I'm not particularly clear on what long-term effects the Timurids had, either.) So I'm just going to vote on what sounds vaguely interesting based on a quick skim.

1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No

By the way, could somebody who actually knows something about the history of the regions involved clear up what 2 and 5 involves, exactly, and what the likely fallout of a decision be?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

1) Did Timur die during his first military campaign? Yes.
2) Did Zabulistan successfully resist the Ghaznavid invasion? No.
3) Did the Mongol invasion of Japan succeed in reaching the island? Yes.
4) Did the megafauna in Australia/New Zealand survive human migration into the continent? No.
5) Did Sundiata Keita die in exile? Yes.

I'm a huge fan of the pliestocene megafauna - enough that I've actually edited that page, as well as other related pages, on Wikipedia in the past - but "they survived" really doesn't make much sense on its own to me. The extinction event in Australia coincided with other major ecological changes; in particular, the sudden advent of fire-based land management. Humans didn't simply hunt those animals to extinction, basically (although hunting likely played a major role); they burnt the landscape, radically changing the flora, so that a scrub landscape shifted to grassland.

So if you say that in this alt-history, something different happened 17k to 40k years ago, and the humans didn't do that... then you've got to have some kind of explanation. There's various possibilities off the top of my head:

1. Different humans colonized Australia, bringing with them a different hunting tradition that didn't involve burning
2. Initial human colonization failed, and later colonists didn't use fire-based hunting
3. Fire-based hunting was used, but somehow magically some or all of the megafauna survived anyway

1 and 2 are implausible but also don't necessarily lead to megafauna survival; in no other place that humans colonized, did the megafauna wholly avoid extinctions. (Africa was not colonized by humans, and OK, indian elephants survived too, perhaps because human ancestors arrived there particularly early, I dunno), so one could easily argue that even without the burning, any human culture would have wiped out those animals in one way or another. And 3 is basically handwaving.

In any of these scenarios, it's not enough to just decide they still have big animals to hunt, you'll have to maybe alter the ethnological and cultural makeup of Austrialian natives. And, the presence of megafauna does not imply giant warbeasts; after all, African megafauna (which co-evolved with humans and therefore were already adapted to their presence) didn't go extinct, and yet, lions and rhinos and giraffes and hippos are really not used in warfare. Elephants have been, to a limited degree, so I suppose you could hypothesize that one of the extinct australian megabeasts would have been suitable in some way, but its a stretch.

But what the presence of animals-suitable-for-livestock does suggest, is the interaction of humans with animals over long periods that exposes humans to diseases.

Yeah, I'm channeling Jared Diamond here. It's possible that if one of the large Aussie animals was suitable for domestication as food animals, that Australians would develop resistance to certain disease strains, and thereby carry them, and thereby when interacting suddenly with outsiders at some point (in the CK or EU3 timeframe, perhaps, or perhaps before that) would not only be devastated by the importation of smallpox (which they still wouldn't have exposure to beforehand) but also transmit something horrible and virulent and incurable to the outsiders.

OK yes, if I recall correctly, native americans gave explorers syphilis in return for smallpox, but syphilis turned out to not be nearly as devastating as smallpox.

But if you wanted, if australian megafauna survive, you could have Aussies giving a new Plague to westerners that could wipe out a third of the global population.

And then of course there's the Steel part. With megafauna, you might get settled agriculture, if any of them turned out to be suitable to pull a plow. And if that happened, then aussies could wind up discovering metal smelting early on, and maybe be a civilization with technology on par with mainland asians (or better!), and instead of being colonized they might be doing the colonizing.

...which is why I'm voting against. This is either too radical a change, or (if we presume none of the aussie megafauna would be suitable for war or domestication) not much of a change at all. And it's a weird thing to do to just one continent but nowhere else. And it's potentially a big enough change to have rewritten not just colonial history, but all of human history, in a major, major way.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 20, 2011

Marcus Roberto
Dec 30, 2004

by exmarx
Voting: The best and worst part of a wiz LP :allears:

1) no
2) no
3) yes
4) yes
5) yes

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Tomn posted:

I have honestly no idea what most of these options would do, particularly 2 and 5 (and I'm not particularly clear on what long-term effects the Timurids had, either.) So I'm just going to vote on what sounds vaguely interesting based on a quick skim.

1. No
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. Yes
5. No

By the way, could somebody who actually knows something about the history of the regions involved clear up what 2 and 5 involves, exactly, and what the likely fallout of a decision be?

I'm guessing 2 will mean the eastern reaches of the Iranian plateau are Hindu, and Northern India won't be ruled by Muslim dynasties either. 5 would mean no Mali Empire.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Hey guys here's an idea: What if dinosaurs survived in America and the Cherokee used to ride Raptors into battle???

This would balance out the Australian Moa riding aborigines that would otherwise surely conquer the world.

Now we get to watch as the Cherokee battle the Aborigines to see which one of them conquer Europe first!! Sounds fun!

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
What if Mammoths survived in Siberia?!?! We haven't seen that area yet, so I think this is a likely possibility.

Maybe Tamerlane didn't show up in Europe since he was busy fighting against China's mammoth cavalry :ohdear:. Please add this Wiz, I think it would add an interesting dynamic to the game.

(I'm hoping that Wiz won't do something like Moa/Kangaroo/Giant Komodo cavalry if the megafauna option ends up winning and just limit it to using it as a reason for creating a semi-viable native Australian/NZ state (on the same level as the Inca maybe?) or something.)

e; But I'm sure he knows what he is doing.

Kainser fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Aug 21, 2011

Ogianres
Oct 21, 2008
I would guess that having the megafauna not be hunted to oblivion doesn't mean they still have any around. It would make more sense, from both a historical and gameplay perspective, for the humans that colonize the area to breed them down in size (assuming they domesticate them).

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
You have it all wrong, the largest effect will be "random character was horribly mauled by two ton wombat/giraffe sized ostrich/7 meter komodo dragon" events should the Azeri ever migrate there(and given our track record, we most likely will).

And it will happen to a 6/6/6/1 general in the first month of his service.

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011
1)No
2)Yes
3)Yes
4)Yes
5)Yes

You should also also include a few Jewish states cropping up sometime, whether it's as a result of the weakened Catholic Church in Europe, some earlier form of Zionism or a random Mongol tribe converting and creating Neo-Khazaria. Hell I'd be cool with some sort of bizarre Operation Fugu type plan come Hearts of Iron.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

BlackJosh posted:

No, Great plains soil is incredibly fertile and useful, but again, as said, non-human horsepower was really needed to make use of it the best, with pulled plows. There were tribes on the plains, like the Arikara and Pawnee, that were sedentary or only semi-nomadic and did engage in limited agriculture, but this was on the banks of rivers and other easier to subsistence farm areas. The Great Plains were an incredible bounty of lifestyle riches, but Native Americans just didn't have the ability to convert the most abundant energy of the plains, grass, into workable power without beasts of burden and horses.

I was sure that I had read that the thick roots of the various grasses in the plains regions made actually churning the topsoil to make it suitable for planting almost impossible until technological advances allowed for the creation of harder and sharper plows, and that this was why it was once called the Great American Desert, and also the reason why american settlers expanded up to its edge before setting up routes like the Oregon trail to avoid colonising it, but I dont' have a source any more so I guess I might be misremembering.

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No
4) Yes
5) No

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It's worth noting that the Euros don't normally discover/settle Australia in-game until 1725-1750. By that point, no non Euro power that's not either A. The Ottoman Empire or B. Westernized stands a chance against a European army at anything less than a 3-1 numeric advantage.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Leperflesh posted:

cool stuff

Okay, okay, I just voted for the megafauna because I thought they'd be cool, but you're right on all counts. Switching my vote for megafauna to NO.

Cardinal Ximenez
Oct 25, 2008

"You could call it heroic responsibility, maybe," Harry Potter said. "Not like the usual sort. It means that whatever happens, no matter what, it's always your fault."

Leperflesh posted:

1 and 2 are implausible but also don't necessarily lead to megafauna survival; in no other place that humans colonized, did the megafauna wholly avoid extinctions. (Africa was not colonized by humans, and OK, indian elephants survived too, perhaps because human ancestors arrived there particularly early, I dunno), so one could easily argue that even without the burning, any human culture would have wiped out those animals in one way or another. And 3 is basically handwaving.

This is exactly why I think an uninhabited NZ compromise is far more plausible.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Cardinal Ximenez posted:

This is exactly why I think an uninhabited NZ compromise is far more plausible.

But then no Maori. :( No wars that boiled down to trolling the British Empire into hopeless assaults of forts made out of flax.

Actually, Wiz, you should so mod up a Polynesian Empire. It's an impressive culture that got shafted down to generic 'natives' due to a lack of centralized political structure across their Pacific spanning home 'land.'

doctor iono
May 19, 2005

I LARVA YOU
That's definitely one of the failings of Europa Universalis: it does a really bad job of modeling cultures without unified nation-states behind them. I've always found the colonization mechanics to be pretty weak and flavorless, personally.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

the JJ posted:

But then no Maori. :( No wars that boiled down to trolling the British Empire into hopeless assaults of forts made out of flax.

Actually, Wiz, you should so mod up a Polynesian Empire. It's an impressive culture that got shafted down to generic 'natives' due to a lack of centralized political structure across their Pacific spanning home 'land.'

If you don't have centralized political structure, armies, diplomats, etc. then how could you be represented in EU except through natives?

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Flavius Belisarius posted:

If you don't have centralized political structure, armies, diplomats, etc. then how could you be represented in EU except through natives?
Natives are a poor way to represent it; so are states. The question then is, out of all of the broken representations, which is the most fun?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'd enjoy a game that explored the subject better, but I don't think 'natives' is necessarily a poor way to represent these things. It's a huge abstraction that tries to capture the end result of the interaction (with varying success) without modeling any of the nuance... which doesn't seem like that horrible a premise in a game with so wide a scope as EU.

Shockmox
Oct 20, 2010
1) No
2) No
3) Yes
4) No
5) Yes

heavensgardener
Nov 10, 2009
1) Yes
2) Yes
3) No
4) Yes
5) No

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

Dibujante posted:

Natives are a poor way to represent it; so are states. The question then is, out of all of the broken representations, which is the most fun?

I mean, you could represent culture in a particular area, but you wouldn't be doing any of the things that you normally do in a EU game. I hate to sound too Eurocentric or snarky, but a game about trading pots for shells and finding honey doesn't sound very fun. Doesn't sound anything like EU at least.

TKBomber7285
Feb 20, 2011
No

Yes

Yes

4) Did the megafauna in Australia/New Zealand survive human migration into the continent?
No

Yes

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Eiba posted:

I'd enjoy a game that explored the subject better, but I don't think 'natives' is necessarily a poor way to represent these things. It's a huge abstraction that tries to capture the end result of the interaction (with varying success) without modeling any of the nuance... which doesn't seem like that horrible a premise in a game with so wide a scope as EU.
The problem with natives is that it doesn't effectively model things like King Phillip's War or the Western Confederacy - scattered tribes sometimes form states and armies, and the current "natives" system is too passive to allow that, unfortunately.

Basically it does a fairly good job of representing Spanish/Portuguese-style "kill/enslave them all, take their land"-style colonialism, but craps out once it comes to colonialism that mixes co-existence with conquest. This is also the case for Russian colonization - "natives" doesn't handle that all that well either.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Reveilled posted:

I was sure that I had read that the thick roots of the various grasses in the plains regions made actually churning the topsoil to make it suitable for planting almost impossible until technological advances allowed for the creation of harder and sharper plows, and that this was why it was once called the Great American Desert, and also the reason why american settlers expanded up to its edge before setting up routes like the Oregon trail to avoid colonising it, but I dont' have a source any more so I guess I might be misremembering.

You're right, and even with the technological advances of the last half of the 19th century that allowed you to plow the soil farming was rather haphazard, mostly because few settlers knew how to dryland farm. The Plains didn't become the greatly productive area we know it as today until the 20th century and advances in irrigation.

Danimo fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Aug 21, 2011

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010

Wiz posted:

YES to all.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
No

No

Yes

Thanks to Leperflesh, No

Yes

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yes

No

Yes

No (Main reason I'm voting. It's the same as Pavo ceasing his innovation after the party boat. It'd be neat, but it's not something that fits with the story we're following).

No

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
1) No
2) No
3) Yes
4) No
5) No

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
1) Did Timur die during his first military campaign? No
2) Did Zabulistan successfully resist the Ghaznavid invasion? Yes
3) Did the Mongol invasion of Japan succeed in reaching the island? Yes
4) Did the megafauna in Australia/New Zealand survive human migration into the continent? Yes
5) Did Sundiata Keita die in exile? No

Kainser posted:

Is there any particular reason that people wants Vinland to be added beyond "it's cool"? From what I've seen there haven't been a greater impetus for Scandinavians to emigrate to Iceland and beyond in the LP than there was in real life.

e: :goonsay:

Rapidly changing goverments and land would mean exile and more wanting to emigrate, constant warfare, the stability of the British states making raiding less attractive, overpopulation in Scandinavia.
Any of those can be plausible I guess.
Really, it's just so that there might be some chance of the New World not being just genocide for whoever gets there first and then Europeans fighting for it.
It's a, semi-plausible alternate history thing. I doubt it would matter really much unless we start trying to reach the New World but when has cool not been enough?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I had second thoughts on some of my votes for the benefit of the people keeping continuous tallies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

No
No
No
No
No

• Locked thread