Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Notch is livestreaming for everyone his magic game-creation process... If you've ever bitched about Notch's ability to program, now's the time to watch and scoff!

http://www.livestream.com/mojang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I'm working on an adventure map and I want to do something like this with pistons. Is it possible to get the timing right or is it basically impossible?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Militree posted:

I have a feeling that the user ase for Pokemon and Minecraft overlap a lot. If your in that circle, you may enjoy this Pokemon mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiEOR7tV4eI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiEOR7tV4eI

Oh my god. oh my goooooood :swoon:

Daydream
Jan 1, 2006

JUMP you son of a bitch!

Insurrectum posted:

Notch is livestreaming for everyone his magic game-creation process... If you've ever bitched about Notch's ability to program, now's the time to watch and scoff!

Right now: 12.000 people watches a famous programmer write code. This is kinda surreal.

Digital War
May 28, 2006

Ahhh, poetry.

HYMEN.SYS posted:

I'm working on an adventure map and I want to do something like this with pistons. Is it possible to get the timing right or is it basically impossible?

Are you after something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5E8IJiVvHI

You just need each piston to activate slower than the one before it, and then hook the whole shebang up to a clock.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Digital War posted:

Are you after something like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5E8IJiVvHI

You just need each piston to activate slower than the one before it, and then hook the whole shebang up to a clock.

That's a bit more wide than I'd have liked. I guess I'll be building it underground slightly.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Daydream posted:

Right now: 12.000 people watches a famous programmer write code. This is kinda surreal.

Still better entertainment then 90% of TV.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

HYMEN.SYS posted:

That's a bit more wide than I'd have liked. I guess I'll be building it underground slightly.

I think you could just make the delayers have longer delays rather than using a bunch of .1 second ones, that should save space.

twistedbutterfly
Jan 20, 2007
So I just played Minecraft for the first time and it was amazing. My brother let me play on his copy. He has yogbox installed so I played around in a village and had fun making my first home out of the side of a mountain. I made a sand bridge and basically once I got my barrings I never wanted to stop playing. So now I wanna buy the game. I have a brand new laptop and I can tell it is going to suck my life away.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Insurrectum posted:

He ended it, as it suddenly dawned on him just how much it was going to cost.

http://www.livestream.com/estimator Stick "mojang" into the box.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

"Estimator posted:

Viewer Hours Streamed: 61,932.27 hours

Total: $16,261.71

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

whiteshark12 posted:

Total: $16,261.71

Dear god. If he weren't rich he would be in trouble now.

I enjoyed watching the stream.

He switched to http://www.justin.tv/realnotch

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Relaxodon posted:

Dear god. If he weren't rich he would be in trouble now.

I enjoyed watching the stream.

He switched to http://www.justin.tv/realnotch

Only plus with this, it means hes actually doing something.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Apocadall posted:

Only plus with this, it means hes actually doing something.
I guess with all the rivers, revised biomes, and other recent developments, we all assumed he was just sitting on his rear end eating coleslaw?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

HYMEN.SYS posted:

You can also shrink the width by doubling the frequency.

EDIT: So...does Notch only know how to make one game?

FamDav fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 20, 2011

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

FamDav posted:

Since there is a time limit, I guess he is sticking to what he knows.

Eriic
Aug 9, 2009

Twisp, is this a truth? Do you do evil?

FamDav posted:

He has a handful of different games on his personal page.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

For the first time I think I've finished building a house in this game. Right now I have six or so, not including random outposts near resources. Every time I start building something I get bored with the area and move on or go exploring. With this place I've found almost endless resources within only a few chunks at the most and have made things like an indoor forest, a wrap around minecart path to the master bedroom at the very top and some pretty good redstone circuits.

Basically, I'm wondering if maybe it's time for me to move on. I've scouted some distant resources and built an outpost near the edge of my map, but I doubt it will be as rich an area as this one. How do you guys figure you are "done" with a building? I still think there is some potential in this place for more upgrades and I keep finding Iron and Diamond and such, but I get the feeling I'm overstaying my welcome there somehow.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Lazyfire posted:

How do you guys figure you are "done" with a building? I still think there is some potential in this place for more upgrades and I keep finding Iron and Diamond and such, but I get the feeling I'm overstaying my welcome there somehow.

I just suddenly find I'm building something new, I'll go out for more iron, see a cool feature, and end up building there instead.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Eriic posted:

He has a handful of different games on his personal page.

Holy crap, it was Notch who wrote Infinite Mario Brothers?

Koos Chup
Aug 20, 2011

by angerbeet
So in the newest update, there's going to be an enemy that forces the player to avoid looking at them, or fix their gaze on them for a long time. It almost seems like the difficulty autistic people have with eye contact being too averting or too rigid. Of course, since Minecraft is Not About Autism, the enemy's true artistic purpose will forever remain a mystery.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

Koos Chup posted:

So in the newest update, there's going to be an enemy that forces the player to avoid looking at them, or fix their gaze on them for a long time. It almost seems like the difficulty autistic people have with eye contact being too averting or too rigid. Of course, since Minecraft is Not About Autism, the enemy's true artistic purpose will forever remain a mystery.

Are you the same person who came up with this interpretation of Minecraft before? Please never stop gifting us with your insight, it's fascinating.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Not a Twat posted:

Are you the same person who came up with this interpretation of Minecraft before? Please never stop gifting us with your insight, it's fascinating.

Not to mention hilarious and the spergiest thing I've ever read about spergs. E: The previous essay on it, not the post you quoted.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Koos Chup posted:

Are you the one who keeps getting banned for this?

Next up: Boo ghosts also target autism. Super Mario controversy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So I found a surface dungeon for the first time today, sticking partway out of a plateau looking thing. On my way over to it, I got murdered by some rear end in a top hat spider out to ruin my fun who kamikazed me off of the side of the cliff, which means I was unable to make a home in it. But it was pretty neat!

Koos Chup posted:

Thank you for your sage knowledge, Stupid Newbie. I will forever be in debt and eagerly await your final "lol u kids mad" before you get probated.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIeQgwEJUms

:gonk:

it's a fanmade video, but still

quote:

Are you the same guy who got banned and reregged like 8 times for making the exact same dumb joke over and over? Can you just send me the money next time?

President Ark fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Aug 21, 2011

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

President Ark posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIeQgwEJUms

:gonk:

it's a fanmade video, but still

Just cut out the middleman and make a Weeping Angel mob.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Walliard posted:

Just cut out the middleman and make a Weeping Angel mob.

I'm expecting a reskin of just that roughly 30 seconds after 1.8 comes out.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

President Ark posted:

I'm expecting a reskin of just that roughly 30 seconds after 1.8 comes out.

I'm expecting the same thing but with slenderman in 10 seconds.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
White head, a suit, and you're done.

What do people do for train switching stations? I can do the switching part and launcher. Is it worth building a long powered rail section to launch? The last one I built used the glitch boosters and could launch the cart basically any distance (it looped an occupied cart for almost 40 minutes). Powered rail doesn't seem to give enough boost to make it worth it.

Koos Chup
Aug 20, 2011

by angerbeet

President Ark posted:

Are you the same guy who got banned and reregged like 8 times for making the exact same dumb joke over and over?

Nope.

Jervas Dudley posted:

White head, a suit, and you're done.

What do people do for train switching stations? I can do the switching part and launcher. Is it worth building a long powered rail section to launch? The last one I built used the glitch boosters and could launch the cart basically any distance (it looped an occupied cart for almost 40 minutes). Powered rail doesn't seem to give enough boost to make it worth it.

The advantage of the powered rail is with the amount of resources they use and time they take to build.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Koos Chup posted:

Nope.
Welp, cleared that up. He must be another of the many 'Minecraftian Autism Theory' awareness crusaders.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Yes, it's the same guy. He went by a similar name last time. He's really determined to throw his money at this idea.

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the best way to optimize performance on a lovely laptop with lovely intel integrated graphics that poo poo themselves at anything to do with OpenGL? It's mostly chugging whenever particles are in view or looking at a cave system.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:

Koos Chup posted:

Nope.

You aren't Broseidon (who was permabanned), but you are almost certainly Koos Group. This account will be banned for evading probation.

Koos Chup posted:

The advantage of the powered rail is with the amount of resources they use and time they take to build.

Glitch boosters required only carts and rail. They were easy to construct as long as you knew how and could give basically infinite boost. The last time I constructed a rail station, it had 16 destinations. Each destination had a booster big enough for the return. I'm probably going to start a new server with friends a little after 1.8 launches and realizing that unless every track is two lane there's no point to a large powered rail section at the station since there has to be enough boost for the return trip on every track anyway. Though I'm trying out a 2 lane design that shares powered rail sections.

Jervas Dudley fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Aug 21, 2011

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Just a warning: this thing needs resetting each time the server goes down, and possibly even if no one is in the chunk I believe.

This is very true. I tried my hand at duplicating that part of his build, and I discovered that the best way to reset the system was to physically remove one of the four central repeaters on each level, then put them both back before hitting the button to fire it back up.

I'm still not 100% sold on the use of glowstone. I think I'm going to try setting up a fire pit in the tower and see if I can use that as a light source.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Jervas Dudley posted:

I'm probably going to start a new server with friends a little after 1.8 launches and realizing that unless every track is two lane there's no point to a large powered rail section at the station since there has to be enough boost for the return trip on every track anyway. Though I'm trying out a 2 lane design that shares powered rail sections.

Powered rails do not give much of an extra boost with long sections. Placing one every 20 or so rails gives the best constant speed. So yes, there is no benefit to long chains of boosters.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Yeah, this is going to be the best adventure map ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m40eXdVsU0g

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Jervas Dudley posted:

You aren't Broseidon (who was permabanned), but you are almost certainly Koos Group. This account will be banned for evading probation.

He got the other account on month probation and he already managed to get probated on his new account on the first day :ughh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Jervas Dudley posted:

You don't get it. The last time he made this joke we hated it and banned him, but this time we will shower him with praise for being a master of comedy. This is why he had to spend 10 dollars to make a new account just so he could make this joke before getting banned for probation evasion.