Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Run Dodo Run posted:

Some of these people don't even have wikipedia pages. Quite a lot of non-celebrity BB contestants have them. So the non-celebrity housemates are more famous than the celebrities :psyduck:

On a related note, I was bitterly disappointed when I misheard Amy Childs as Adrian Chiles. I would have watched the hell out of him in it.

We are living in the Chilesean Age. Adrian Chiles is every Big Brother contestant, and every Big Brother contestant is Adrian Chiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007
Yeah, BB was a bit... eh. It's bad when I'm most excited for Jedward. The worst was after each housemate went in Brian Dowling had to say a little "bit". With Davina she'd legitimately say what people were thinking at home, "Omg, he's totally fit," or "Ohhh, she's gonna be a bitch." With Brian he obviously had a list of things that were prepared, and then he tried to ad-lib and just kept talking about Tara and the door. He didn't add anything. Brian was an awesome housemate, but he's not into his own groove quite yet as a presenter.

And the line-up is just dumb. It was interesting to see which of them knew each other (The ITV/Channel 4 reality crew, for example). The speaker's wife will go crazy, the model will just be quiet, the Corrie kid will try for a romance to up his career, Kerry/Amy will be bffs, then break up, then be bffs, the paparazzi guy will try to get a story and then just end up being really boring, Jedward will be Jedward, and I honestly can't remember anyone else. Is there anyone else? I don't know.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

So yes, it is a record. Well done, Celebrity Big Brother 8, for your record ratings of 5.07 million viewers. Channel 5's highest non sport or film figures. :toot: trebles all round.
The drop-off will be pretty big as well. In my experience most people will tune in for the first episode to see which celebrities/mental-cases have gotten in and after that they'll rarely tune in again.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

Gorn Myson posted:

The drop-off will be pretty big as well. In my experience most people will tune in for the first episode to see which celebrities/mental-cases have gotten in and after that they'll rarely tune in again.

I'm in this category, I wanted to see if I knew any of the celebrities and (like everyone else) only know Reid, Katona and Jedward. And I don't even know what Kerry Katona is famous for, I've just seen adverts for her other TV shows. The model in particular doesn't seem to fit the bill of 'celebrity', he's just a model? I'm sure they've had models appear on regular Big Brother.

Honestly, I'm one of those derided people who likes Jedward. I think they're cute, in small doses. For example, I wouldn't replace them with anybody in Celebrity Juice. But I won't be tuning in to watch them in the Big Brother house. Unless they go mental and build a fort and throw things at other people to keep them out.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I gave up on BB about halfway through season 3. I also got into a massive fight with someone over it. I can't remember which season it was, but it may have been when Nikki (or something like that) had a complete and utter meltdown. She felt that it was too exploitative and that someone should intervene, while I argued that this was the end result of people wanting to see conflict and tenstion and all that other bullshit, and that the audience were, whether inadvertently or not, by and large at fault for it. I do like the BB concept at it's heart, but they've thrown so many terrible ideas at it and let people in that really shouldn't be on TV that it's lost all of its early appeal. And the sexist in me probably would only watch for Amy, she's not that unattractive

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Noonsaliwah posted:

And I don't even know what Kerry Katona is famous for

Atomic Kitten, and then having a breakdown which the red tops lapped up and splashed everywhere.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Atomic Kitten, and then having a breakdown which the red tops lapped up and splashed everywhere.

It's also worth noting that Atomic Kitten actually did better after Kerry left.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

ChuckDHead posted:

It's also worth noting that Atomic Kitten actually did better after Kerry left.

Did they all get their jobs at the Co-op back?

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

Did they all get their jobs at the Co-op back?

That and a couple of their albums when platinum and double-platinum.

Kerry's only real accomplishment since then was...

um, yeah.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

ChuckDHead posted:

They're lovably dense Irish lads with no apparent self-awareness whatsoever or any real capacity for spite (though we'll see what a few weeks in an enclosed space with a bunch of so-called celebrities will do for that). Basically they're a double-act of Father Dougal MacGuire, with even less musical talent.

My opinion on them did a 180 after their appearance on the Buzzcocks. They're just a couple of Irish lads who want to sing - getting steamed up about them would be like kicking a puppy, even if it did just leave a puddle on the carpet.

And their Twitter feed's one big over-enthusiastic :3: stream of consciousness, too

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
I see the DigitalSpy crowd, my barometer of anti-taste, are in a tiswaz over the lack of a live BB feed.

Life is good.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Pablo Bluth posted:

I see the DigitalSpy crowd, my barometer of anti-taste, are in a tiswaz over the lack of a live BB feed.

Life is good.

Ugh, Live Big Brother is the worst. Back when I was a student being lazy in the summer, I watched Scrubs or whatever E4 was showing late at night, but every year they'd switch to bloody Live Big Brother, and sometimes I'd just leave it on if I couldn't be bothered turning off the TV. That show is unbelievably tedious when it's not edited into half-hour chunks. It's even more tedious and completely pointless when every goes to bed but the night-vision cameras stay on.

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

I'm confused. Is there not going to be a real Big Brother, or is it just Celebrity Big Brother?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Smeep posted:

I'm confused. Is there not going to be a real Big Brother, or is it just Celebrity Big Brother?

The level of "celebrity" on the show will soon make the two indistinguishable.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Wait, what, the current one is a Celebrity version?

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Smeep posted:

there will be a proper one, they've just switched around the dates so now the celeb one is in Summer and the normal in Winter

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I saw Alexander Armstrong at my place of work the other day. Managed to control my urge to ask him how his pointless friend Richard was.

Comfy Chairs
May 21, 2005

by Ralp
OK, there might not be many A-list celebs in the Big Brother house right now, but just wait for the A-listers joining in the next few weeks (courtesy of the editorially-independent Daily Star).

Cheryl Cole

Charlie Sheen IS WINNING BIG BROTHER

Jordan

The Motherfucking Royal Family

That's only the tip of the iceberg stolen from the full list of up-and-coming celebrity appearances on Tabloid Watch.

Back to the summer kids' TV recollections of last week, I'm sure lots of people remember Why Don't You? but does anyone recall one particular summer the host gang spent the whole time prick-teasing a reveal about the secret of Exploding Milk? Being in Northern Ireland, our summer holidays are out of sync with the England-based broadcasters so I was back at school before the secret was revealed (if it ever was). What do I need to do to make my milk asplode?

Warrahooyaargh
Sep 15, 2007
Oh the mundanity

spincube posted:

My opinion on them did a 180 after their appearance on the Buzzcocks. They're just a couple of Irish lads who want to sing - getting steamed up about them would be like kicking a puppy, even if it did just leave a puddle on the carpet.

And their Twitter feed's one big over-enthusiastic :3: stream of consciousness, too

Their mum is tweeting for them while they're in the Big Brother House (after a disastrous experiment with their Twitter in the hands of their elder brother, who is a bit of a hothead). They've left pre-prepared tweets with her to be dispensed at set times. :3:

I'm hoping these will become more and more hilariously inappropriate as the series continues and poo poo hits the fan in the house.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

MisterLizard posted:

Back to the summer kids' TV recollections of last week, I'm sure lots of people remember Why Don't You? but does anyone recall one particular summer the host gang spent the whole time prick-teasing a reveal about the secret of Exploding Milk? Being in Northern Ireland, our summer holidays are out of sync with the England-based broadcasters so I was back at school before the secret was revealed (if it ever was). What do I need to do to make my milk asplode?

Exploding milk was just adding some food colouring ( and something else I can't remember ) to make "exploding" star patterns in it. Everyone was pissed off with the reveal to this, so they poured it into "Ben's machine" in anger, and it exploded and killed them all, or went mad, or something. All written by Russell T Davies, I believe.

I cannot remember half of my degree.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

MisterLizard posted:

The Motherfucking Royal Family

That's only the tip of the iceberg stolen from the full list of up-and-coming celebrity appearances on Tabloid Watch.

Oh good, I've been waiting for the follow-up to It's A Royal Knockout.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

To celebrate the new X-factor series, let's play Bingo:

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
There's always the part where the voiceover talks about how little talent they're finding, shows a few backstage shots of the judges looking fed up and one of them saying "I'm so disappointed in the talent this year in _________", then let's see if the next contestant, a humble attractive 19 year old, has what it takes to change their mind......

I love the X factor audition episodes, it's the best reality show on TV.

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.
No lie, Tulisa looks so drat sexy. To think I used to see her, being her chavvy self near my old school...

That Janet girl was amazing.

brokenmachine
Aug 1, 2011
Anyone else getting annoyed with the digital tv switchover graphics BBC has started overlaying at the exact wrong moments in TV programmes? It's not until March next year!

HoldYourFire
Oct 16, 2006

What's the time? It's DEFCON 1!
Well X-Factor was amazing. That previous failure calling Tulisa a oval office (presumably) and then Dermot laying down the law backstage :allears:

BeeZee142
Sep 26, 2007

HoldYourFire posted:

Well X-Factor was amazing. That previous failure calling Tulisa a oval office (presumably) and then Dermot laying down the law backstage :allears:

Yes! Dermot was pointing in his face and glaring while saying, "No. You don't talk like that to girls." Ooooh Dermot. So dreamy. And Gary Barlow is just perfection.

Royality
Jun 27, 2006
X Factor feels dead without Simon on it. It's like a slap in the face to the British public and it hurts. :(

Onion Vanguard
Jun 11, 2010

Breathe in. Breathe out.

Royality posted:

X Factor feels dead without Simon on it. It's like a slap in the face to the British public and it hurts. :(

Yeah... Gary Barlow is trying to be Simon a bit and it doesn't work.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Royality posted:

Sure Simon has betrayed the country by leaving us with an inferior talent show, but he's also done the country a great favour by pissing off.

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich

MisterLizard posted:

I'd be more interested in that free 9-pack of Kit Kats.

This season of CBB isn't really hooking me that much. I really liked the last season the best out of all of them. It feels too homogenous right now, too many shy and kinda boring people. I know it's only day 3 but a lot of them seemed more interesting even at this point than this one.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
Hadn't realised there was a new series of Young, Dumb and Living Off Mum. I know what I'm going to be watching obsessively for the next few weeks.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Warrahooyaargh posted:

Their mum is tweeting for them while they're in the Big Brother House (after a disastrous experiment with their Twitter in the hands of their elder brother, who is a bit of a hothead). They've left pre-prepared tweets with her to be dispensed at set times. :3:

What happened with their brother? I don't follow them because they're unbearably annoying, but sometimes I go on their page and giggle at the silliness of it all.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Metrication posted:

Hadn't realised there was a new series of Young, Dumb and Living Off Mum. I know what I'm going to be watching obsessively for the next few weeks.

Thanks for the heads up. Watching right now, getting really annoyed by the goony kid.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

ChuckDHead posted:

It's even more tedious and completely pointless when every goes to bed but the night-vision cameras stay on.

I remember seeing a thread on DS that was dedicated to analysing the snoring and sleep talking and farting during that part of the feed.

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

Metrication posted:

What day and what time?

I love that lovely show and the awful people on it. It's second only to Snog, Marry, Avoid on my list of incredibly watchable tripe.

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

ChuckDHead posted:

What day and what time?

I love that lovely show and the awful people on it. It's second only to Snog, Marry, Avoid on my list of incredibly watchable tripe.

Sunday, 9pm BBC Three. There's already two episodes up on iPlayer.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Watching University Challenge right now, and does Frazier from St. Andrews have a stammer? Because you'd really think he wouldn't have gotten this far if so.
e: and why the hell are Antiques Master and Only Connect on in the same time slot?
e2: Only Connect's questions are a steaming pile of bullshit sometimes.

Mr. Squishy fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 22, 2011

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
I was just watching that. It always annoys me how easy the music questions are. They'll ask specific questions about characters from lesser known Shakespeare plays, but then they'll have a "name the composer" round and the answers are as easy as "Beethoven, Chopin and Bach", which anyone with even a sligth interest in classical music would be able to atleast guess at. I mean, I studied maths and music at uni, and I reckon I would get less than 2/3rds of the maths questions on my best day, but there is barely ever a music question I can't get instantly and it's not as though I sit there listening to classical music all day. University Challenge has always been big on history, art history and english literature, but they really don't make the effort for music questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormophile
Jul 22, 2007

me am fun
I love love love university challenge and form an impromptu team with whoever is in the room at the time, but I'm so bad at remembering names. I'd struggle if paxo asked "Who was your best friend in highschool" straight down the camera. The amount of times I've answered a question with "Oh I know this! THAT GUY!!" and then wanted to punch myself in the face for being such a fud.

Love the picture puzzle rounds they sometimes have though, great stuff. And it's the only time I've ever managed to gain social cred for my knowledge of the taxonomic names of british mammal and bird species :spergin:

Also the above poster is insane the classical music rounds are the hardest bit!