Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Unzip and Attack posted:

Don't remember the actual quote, but it's something to the effect of him trying to earn Rhaegar's love. To me the quote didn't seem to mean gay butt love, more like trying to earn his respect and esteem, but hey, that's just, my opinion man.

quote:

Griffin’s Roost had been his, eventually, if only for a few short years. From here, Jon Connington
had ruled broad lands extending many leagues to the west, north, and south, just as his father and his
father’s father had before him. But his father and his father’s father had never lost their lands. He had. I
rose too high, loved too hard, dared too much. I tried to grasp a star, overreached, and fell.

Just a devoted bro, reminiscing about his platonic ~@~ silver prince ~@~ :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Don't remember the actual quote, but it's something to the effect of him trying to earn Rhaegar's love. To me the quote didn't seem to mean gay butt love, more like trying to earn his respect and esteem, but hey, that's just, my opinion man.

Yeah it's pretty doubtful Connington is meant to be gay, the passage explains he just wanted Rhaegar's love/respect and people are overreacting. Connington wanted to be a man like Rhaegar, not in a man like Rhaegar.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
Yeah see this is why the TV show added chest shaving and blowjob noises. Jon Connington is cask-strength Targ gay.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
"rose too high" come on guys it's obvious what is meant here.

And the star he tried to grasp? Yeah a butthole looks like a brown star.

Connington is hard gay, no doubts about it.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Quantify! posted:

"rose too high" come on guys it's obvious what is meant here.

And the star he tried to grasp? Yeah a butthole looks like a brown star.

Connington is hard gay, no doubts about it.

This is cute but the length people will go to to not recognize a really, really obvious unrequited gay male crush in a series where no one blinks at lezzing-out with the handmaid or myrish swamps is pretty ridiculous.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Quote != edit.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Also, what is the evidence that Connington is gay? That also flew right past me.

"His beautiful silver hair glittering in the sun" :swoon:

I don't have the book at hand to check the exact phrasing, but I remember that the passage just screamed "erotic love" to me.

Also, the Gurm's comment when asked about it was "good guess".

TheFatController
Mar 6, 2003

Saul Goode posted:

I had a theory about Craster, that in fact he was the one responsible for creating the latest wave of Others.

His scenes in the earlier books all mention how he kills boy babies by exposing them to the winter. There's a throwaway line about what this entails, and in a universe where blood magic and all that stuff happens, it stands to reason that years of baby-killing could be a terrible kind of blood magic that resurrects the greatest evil Westeros has ever known.

And it would be kinda ironic that the Night's Watch, set up to protect the realms of men, were friends with the guy bringing about their downfall. And maybe Gilly's baby, the only boy baby to survive where all his brothers-cum-Others were sacrificed, turns out to be important to the plot somehow.

He refers to himself as a 'holy man' a few times who doesnt need to fear the others, implying there is a religion which is on the side of the others, I wonder if it's one of the one's we've met so far and if that's going to be a big reveal next book..

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

YES bread posted:

This is cute but the length people will go to to not recognize a really, really obvious unrequited gay male crush in a series where no one blinks at lezzing-out with the handmaid or myrish swamps is pretty ridiculous.
Yes, I acknowledge overt sexual activity and don't notice one line in the book about how nice Rhaegar's hair was. I was probably skimming through that part waiting for more Penny sections.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Penny is gay too, and a man, did.you miss that as well?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
All the people in this book series who are gay just in case you guys missed it:

Renyl
Loras
Lord Connington
Dolorous Edd
Pyp
Ser Barristan
Varys
The Blackfish

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Quantify! posted:

don't notice one line in the book about how nice Rhaegar's hair was.

Yes it was one line and definitely not several extremely blatant instances of the character reflecting on past events in such a way as to lead you to believe he had strong romantic feelings for Rhaeger :rolleyes: It's in actuality a finely crafted super mystery to reward astute readers and not totally obvious.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

YES bread posted:

Yes it was one line and definitely not several extremely blatant instances of the character reflecting on past events in such a way as to lead you to believe he had strong romantic feelings for Rhaeger :rolleyes: It's in actuality a finely crafted super mystery to reward astute readers and not totally obvious.
Sorry but I didn't really care about the character so I didn't care about who he wanted to gently caress.

I mean maybe this is dismissive of gay people as a whole or something I dunno why you're so defensive about it.

If Sam falls in love with a baker boy in Oldtown and they make fat doughy love I'd probably be happy that Sam progressed a bit as a character more than anything. Bring on the gays! But I don't see how a person not noticing every little detail in the books is that bad.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Proposition Joe posted:

Renyl
Loras
Lord Connington
Dolorous Edd
Pyp
Ser Barristan
Varys
The Blackfish

You somehow missed the (former) gay whore on the watch :confused:

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

furushotakeru posted:

You somehow missed the (former) gay whore on the watch :confused:
And don't forget Nimble Dick

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Quantify! posted:

Sorry but I didn't really care about the character so I didn't care about who he wanted to gently caress.

If you don't give a poo poo about it why post about it at all then? And it's bad because it's not actually a little detail tucked away like lemoncakes for the winter, it's obvious and a big motivation for the character. How are people having a conversation about the book when basic stuff like that flies over their heads so easily?

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Proposition Joe posted:

Renyl
Loras
Lord Connington
Dolorous Edd
Pyp
Ser Barristan
Varys
The Blackfish

But Barristan and Edd are super cool, so they can't be gays

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Quantify! posted:

But I don't see how a person not noticing every little detail in the books is that bad.
It's perfectly fine if you miss something (hell, I missed R+L=J). But if you also try to act smugly condescending from your position of cluelessness, expect to get slapped down.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Dr I am a Doctor posted:

But Barristan and Edd are super cool, so they can't be gays

Barristan and Edd are hard gay, sorry bro.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

NihilCredo posted:

It's perfectly fine if you miss something (hell, I missed R+L=J). But if you also try to act smugly condescending from your position of cluelessness, expect to get slapped down.
I wasn't trying to act condescending I was making a joke about people trying to divine stuff from throwaway lines and also just being funny because "star = butthole" is funny to me.

People come up with stuff like "Varys is a Targaryen" from the weirdest lines in the books. I was poking fun at that kind of attitude that overexamines the text, that's all.

Sorry if anyone got personally offended because I didn't take your Connington is gay for Rhaegar theory as seriously as you. Let's all be bros again.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I continue to be baffled at how you think "reading the text" constitutes overexamination, but then again plenty of ASOIAF fans were shocked and upset that they turned Renly into a gay! for the HBO series, so maybe it's my fault for expecting too much. :shobon:

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Barristan is like soft gay, everyone in this book is a homosexual

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

YES bread posted:

I continue to be baffled at how you think "reading the text" constitutes overexamination, but then again plenty of ASOIAF fans were shocked and upset that they turned Renly into a gay! for the HBO series, so maybe it's my fault for expecting too much. :shobon:
I forgot that Crunch and Pretty died (and maybe Penny too?).

I pick up a lot more on the re-reads.

I'm sure after long enough with the book I'll be explaining the finest details to everyone else.

Like my whole Varys theory that I worked out independently and is the best explanation for him ever. Yeah, I have some brilliant analytical skills as applied to fantasy novels.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Selmy and Edd are gay? Where's the evidence for those claims? I'm not trying to be argumentative; I just never noticed an indication that those dudes like dudes.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.

YES bread posted:

I am baffled BAFFLED MY GOOD MAN that you interpret something differently than I.

It must mean you hate the gays. Not me, I love them. See them everywhere.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

YES bread posted:

If you don't give a poo poo about it why post about it at all then? And it's bad because it's not actually a little detail tucked away like lemoncakes for the winter, it's obvious and a big motivation for the character. How are people having a conversation about the book when basic stuff like that flies over their heads so easily?

Oh come on in no way does knowing this detail require a desire to talk about the book. Connington is loyal to the old dynasty, why would who he wanted or wants to gently caress have anything to do with anything in 300 AL? You're being way too umbraged about this.

hellbastard
Apr 4, 2006

Kung Fu Jesus posted:

Also, what is the evidence that Connington is gay? That also flew right past me.

He has Gayscale.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

hellbastard posted:

He has Gayscale.
I hear you can catch it just from sharing food with someone who has it.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
So I finally found time to finish the book and was disappointed that neither the Mereen conflict or the battle for Winterfell reached any kind of meaningful conclusion. Nothing. See you again in another 5 years!

I almost want to go back and figure out when this series turned into "Long Drawn-Out Medieval Anime: The Book". I bet entire second half of the next book is going to be Daenerys screaming "ArrrggggGGGHHHHH!!!" as she powers up for page after page interspersed with elaborate descriptions of the dust swirling around her and the food people are eating as they look on. Then on the last page she'll finally go Dragon Rider level 2 and say some one-liner to the Yunkish captain before the series ends abruptly for another several years.

I look back through the older books and something crazy happens at the end of almost every chapter. I read the last two books and it's implied that something crazy is about to happen at the end of each chapter. Then maybe it might actually happen 400 pages later, maybe.

and I fall for it every time.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
I overlooked Connington being gay but the evidence in this thread has swayed me.

On the other hand I never saw anything indicating that Barristan, Dolorous Edd or Varys were gay. I tend to be pretty skeptical in my interpretation of these things, and for instance Loras/Renly was something that was expressed as rumor in the books and I assumed was made more explicit in the show to make it all the more salacious.

But these other guys? Folks just because they've been celibate for however long doesn't make them gay. Barristan is obviously a guy who takes his duty very seriously and, from what I recall had some kind of a crush on a noble lady when he was young that didn't work out. Not gay.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

NihilCredo posted:

I was undecided about Connington being gay but thought it was a possibility. Does that mean I lose your permission to continue posting in the thread?

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 22, 2011

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Proposition Joe posted:

Renyl
Loras
Lord Connington
Dolorous Edd
Pyp
Ser Barristan
Varys
The Blackfish
Didn't Hother Umber (Whoresbane) receive his nickname after killing a male prostitute, as well?

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
A tranny who concealed what he was though.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Good Citizen posted:

Didn't Hother Umber (Whoresbane) receive his nickname after killing a male prostitute, as well?

For sleeping with his female prostitute. :argh:

Lester B. Pearson
Jul 4, 2007

Free Marc Emery
and all other
political prisoners!

Proposition Joe posted:

Renyl
Loras
Lord Connington
Dolorous Edd
Pyp
Ser Barristan
Varys
The Blackfish

Where does it say Dolorous Edd is gay? I never thought of him that way.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Lester B. Pearson posted:

Well, if you didn't catch it then supposedly you have no idea what this series is about and really shouldn't be distracting the rest of the enlightened with your blatantly homophobic ignorance.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Lester B. Pearson posted:

I guess your not gay then.

e: but yeah 'dolorous' is a pretty big hint

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
FYI I was never accusing people of being homophobic, just bad at reading, so everyone who's upset about the Big Mean Homo Agenda :qq: can crawl down off their crosses now, it's safe!

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor

YES bread posted:

FYI I was never accusing people of being homophobic, just bad at reading, so everyone who's upset about the Big Mean Homo Agenda :qq: can crawl down off their crosses now, it's safe!

oh thanks for clearing that up.

there's no agenda? but there is a post where you basically equate not catching JCon being gay (based on one flashback BTW) to being a complete fuckwit who has no business reading the series or discussing it. methink you dost protest too much, or at least focus on one very particular detail, to the exclusion of hundreds of others, to make your argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

YES bread posted:

YES bread posted:

This is cute but the length people will go to to not recognize a really, really obvious unrequited gay male crush

So if the people "willing to go to" such lengths to purposefully not recognize a character's homosexuality aren't motivated by homophobia, what magical force is guiding them?