Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
I just finished binging through Better Off Ted. Was it another series like Pushing Daisies and Reaper that got canned because it had the unfortunate timing to begin right before the writer's strike? Oh yeah, and Pete from Warehouse 13 played Ted's brother in an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Bored posted:

I just finished binging through Better Off Ted. Was it another series like Pushing Daisies and Reaper that got canned because it had the unfortunate timing to begin right before the writer's strike? Oh yeah, and Pete from Warehouse 13 played Ted's brother in an episode.

Writers stike was '07-'08; Ted premiered in '09. It just never found much of an audience, ABC didn't promote it much and wouldn't put it in their Wednesday comedy block.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
I'm still binging through The West Wing, and since I'm keeping out of the actual West Wing thread 'cause I don't wanna be spoiled I'll say it here: I just reached the end of season 4, and goddamn is this a great show and a fantastic season finale. On a show like 24 these developments would have had next to no impact, but on a carefully written show like this it really got my blood pumping.

I'm aware that this was the last episode written by Sorkin, and that the general consensus is that it's pretty much downhill from here on, but I really can't imagine that it's getting too bad. Please tell me it isn't.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
I'm about 2/3 of the way through season 5, and while it is a bit of a step down from the first 4 seasons, it's certainly not crap. Plus, from what I hear, seasons 6 and 7 regain some of the show's former greatness with a big change in focus.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought season 5 was bad. All the scenes became... boring. They try to spice it up with way more drama but nobody acts like themselves. I think the writers were basically unprepared since Sorkin basically wrote every single episode in the previous 4 seasons. They do improve a lot during season 6 and 7. They still don't know how to write for CJ, Bartlet, Toby, etc. and all their scenes become a drag, but they do add new cast members that are pretty drat great.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

Didion posted:

Bones. God help me, I'm binging through a procedural show and actually finding it captivating (about halfway through season 5).

Don't read my spoilers if you haven't watched season six yet!!!

I just did this as well and was shocked by how badly it fell of a cliff in season six. I think a great portion of my frustration is that the big reveal of Booth and Bones finally getting together happens off screen and the audience is only told, indirectly, that it happened at all. On top of that the even bigger reveal of the pregnancy felt cheap as hell.

The writing has never been anything special but it was a good procedural show that I enjoyed watching before bed on my computer. Season six for the most part continues this trend but when it hits the wall it hits it hard. It will be interesting to see where they go from here, but if the creators are smart I think they should start to plan their endgame.

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic

Mu Zeta posted:

They still don't know how to write for CJ, Bartlet, Toby, etc. and all their scenes become a drag, but they do add new cast members that are pretty drat great.

drat, CJ and Toby are amongst my favourite characters :saddowns:. Anyway, I watched the season 5 premiere yesterday and didn't really notice a drop-off yet. We'll see how long it takes.

DominoDancing fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 16, 2011

Leechboy
Aug 6, 2008

calandryll posted:

Someone in the Fringe thread recommended watching Day Break. Just started it two days ago and almost done. Why the hell was this cancelled? It is freakin' awesome, have about 3 more episodes left.

Because once you miss the first episode, you have absolutely no chance of picking it up from episode two.

That being said, excellent show.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Leechboy posted:

Because once you miss the first episode, you have absolutely no chance of picking it up from episode two.

That being said, excellent show.

I think it did a decent job of recapping at the beginning of each episode. Still a shame it didn't continue on.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
My five year old daughter and I have been watching a lot of the original Dennis the Menace from the sixties. The first season went up on netflix, and we watched them. Then I bought season two. Can't wait for the 3rd season to come out shortly. This show is just great, the cast really work well together, and most of the acting is top notch. Except for that dumb old Margaret.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Dennis_the_Menace/70200165?trkid=2361637

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
The Deadwood thread has me burning through that series for a fourth time. I never get tired of this show.

I've been trying to get my mom into some good tv shows for a while and Deadwood was the only one that stuck. She's been using the term "cocksucker" far more often than is good for her. She's a schoolbus driver.

ZombieSnot
Jan 2, 2011

Entrenched in nutritious rotting flesh.

JLightning posted:

The Deadwood thread has me burning through that series for a fourth time. I never get tired of this show.

I've been trying to get my mom into some good tv shows for a while and Deadwood was the only one that stuck. She's been using the term "cocksucker" far more often than is good for her. She's a schoolbus driver.

Deadwood is going to be my next tv series I go through, and Im really excited to get started on it.

Right now Im finishing up Sorkins Sports Night. Its pretty good, but the one thing that kinda annoys me is that it seems like the actors are always laughin and crackin smiles to the point where I'm not sure theyre suppose to be or that they cant keep straight faces in general. I know it sounds silly but its drivin me nuts lol.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

Just started watching Mad Men since it finally became available on netflix streaming. Only two episodes in, but I'm already in love with the show, although I fear I'll develop lung cancer just from watching it. The atmosphere and setting are so horrifying, hilarous, and mesmerizing all at the same time. I feel like a devout Mormon enjoying Queer as Folk.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
Binging through The Wire right now. Nine episodes in, it's the loving real deal. I love how they develop the characters and the dialogue... wow. Just captures how real people talk especially in those kinds of places.

After the first season, I think I'm gonna take a break and watch another show (e.g. The Shield, Game of Thrones) but I may not... the show is so loving good and deserves all the accolades it's getting from here.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Demented Guy posted:

Binging through The Wire right now. Nine episodes in, it's the loving real deal. I love how they develop the characters and the dialogue... wow. Just captures how real people talk especially in those kinds of places.

After the first season, I think I'm gonna take a break and watch another show (e.g. The Shield, Game of Thrones) but I may not... the show is so loving good and deserves all the accolades it's getting from here.

Just to warn you the second season is different but still good. The third is also awesome and then the fourth is the best.

Demented Guy
Apr 22, 2010

IF YOU ARE READING THIS IN AN NBA THREAD, LOOK TO YOUR RIGHT TO SEE MY EXPLETIVE RIDDEN, NONSENSICAL POST OF UTTER BULLSHIT
I love different as long as it's still good.

On the horizon for me:
The Shield
The Sopranos
Game of Thrones
Eastbound and Down
Six Feet Under
Rome
Deadwood

So many loving shows to watch. Don't know where to start.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

Cocks Cable posted:

Just started watching Mad Men since it finally became available on netflix streaming. Only two episodes in, but I'm already in love with the show, although I fear I'll develop lung cancer just from watching it. The atmosphere and setting are so horrifying, hilarous, and mesmerizing all at the same time. I feel like a devout Mormon enjoying Queer as Folk.

The smoking really gets toned down during the later seasons. Don still chain smokes like a maniac but it's not literally every scene like the first season.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo

Demented Guy posted:

I love different as long as it's still good.

On the horizon for me:
The Shield
The Sopranos
Game of Thrones
Eastbound and Down
Six Feet Under
Rome
Deadwood

So many loving shows to watch. Don't know where to start.

I've seen The Shield and GoT but the rest is at the top of my list. After I finish my rewatch of West Wing (currently trudging through the crap called Season 5), I'm going to start on Rome.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
I'm finally watching Archer after having several people recommend it to me and it's brilliant. The humor is great, there are some callbacks without it getting totally obnoxious and the voice actors are spot on.

I've also been revisiting Space Above and Beyond. The special effects have a very 90's feel to them unfortunately and some of the characterization/writing is a bit juvenile. It does feel like it was ahead of its time though, there are several surprisingly deep plotlines with some dark conclusions for a show seemingly aimed at the 14-28 crowd. It's a shame there was only one season but 24 episodes is a pretty long one for a Fox show.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Aug 18, 2011

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
While waiting for a new job to start I've had bugger all to do during the week except drink beer and watch TV. So I've watched entire seasons of or caught up on the following:

American Pickers
American Restoration
Antiques Roadshow
Archer (2009)
Auction Hunters
Auction Kings
Bar Rescue
Breaking Bad
Community
Dirty Jobs
Eastbound & Down
Help! My House is Falling Down
The IT Crowd
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Leverage
Mock the Week
MythBusters
Parks and Recreation
Pawn Stars
QI
Sons of Anarchy
Sons of Guns
Storage Wars
Top Gear
Workaholics
Penn & Teller: Bullshit!

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Hey goons, help me out here. I'm going to switch over to Netflix Watch Instantly, since I have the PS3 and my phone to do so, after I finish my current queue (I know that a lot of people are going to switch over to instant next week, but I'm going to stick with discs for now). I have a few series that I never got to watch since I never had HBO when it was in it's prime and lost Showtime when Dexter started, so I have a few series in my queue right now. I currently have the following shows in my queue:

Dexter Seasons 3-5 (Saw 1 and 2 when it was on Streaming before it was take off)
Six Feet Under
The Wire
OZ
Tell Me You Love Me (Seems pretty good and I never did catch it because of the odd night it was on and I just found it it was canceled after one season)
Parenthood(Loved the few that I did catch, however due to the crappy time slot that competes with Sons of Anarchy and I can't watch a show midseason, I haven't been watching it.)

I'm basically trying to clean out my queue a little, get it down to about 120, which should take me a little over a year watch all of those movies and shows if I can get rid of at least two of those series. I'm keeping Dexter and the Wire, Dexter because I'm comitted to getting caught up and finished to a point, I'll be a season behind in the end and The Wire, because it's so drat good from what I saw and hear.

Out of the others, what would you remove from your queue? Oz is 5 seasons, Six Feet Under is 5 also, Tell Me You Love me is 1, and Parenthood is currently 2. Which should I totally forget about and remove totally to shrink down my queue.

TL;DR: Which of those series, except for Dexter and the Wire, should I get rid of.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

screenwritersblues posted:

Hey goons, help me out here. I'm going to switch over to Netflix Watch Instantly, since I have the PS3 and my phone to do so, after I finish my current queue (I know that a lot of people are going to switch over to instant next week, but I'm going to stick with discs for now). I have a few series that I never got to watch since I never had HBO when it was in it's prime and lost Showtime when Dexter started, so I have a few series in my queue right now. I currently have the following shows in my queue:

Dexter Seasons 3-5 (Saw 1 and 2 when it was on Streaming before it was take off)
Six Feet Under
The Wire
OZ
Tell Me You Love Me (Seems pretty good and I never did catch it because of the odd night it was on and I just found it it was canceled after one season)
Parenthood(Loved the few that I did catch, however due to the crappy time slot that competes with Sons of Anarchy and I can't watch a show midseason, I haven't been watching it.)

I'm basically trying to clean out my queue a little, get it down to about 120, which should take me a little over a year watch all of those movies and shows if I can get rid of at least two of those series. I'm keeping Dexter and the Wire, Dexter because I'm comitted to getting caught up and finished to a point, I'll be a season behind in the end and The Wire, because it's so drat good from what I saw and hear.

Out of the others, what would you remove from your queue? Oz is 5 seasons, Six Feet Under is 5 also, Tell Me You Love me is 1, and Parenthood is currently 2. Which should I totally forget about and remove totally to shrink down my queue.

TL;DR: Which of those series, except for Dexter and the Wire, should I get rid of.

Oz is 56 episodes It is really good but it does get a bit ridiculous.
Six Feet Under is 63 Is is really good and has one of the best endings ever. Also watch before Dexter.
No idea about the other 2

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Just finished watching Misfits

I liked it, but I don't know why the focused so much on Simon. He is a really awkward boring character that barely says anything, and by far the least interesting of the group. And apparently Nathan isn't going to be in the next season, which is too bad.

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Simon is creepy as gently caress and a great character (season 2 spoiler)I was a little disappointed when he was revealed to be Superhoodie but that turned out pretty good too. And yeah the loss of Nathan is going to be hard going into this new season. Robert Sheehan dropped out to do some lovely plague movie with Nicolas Cage? :downsbravo:

EvilMuppet
Jul 29, 2006

Good night catte thread, give them all many patts. I'm sorry,
Can anyone reccomend anything based on my watch list that I posted a few posts up^^^?

Will give it a shot, thanks VVVV

EvilMuppet fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Aug 22, 2011

The Duke
May 19, 2004

Bored to Death. The second season is especially fantastic.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Breaking Bad

and holy poo poo how the gently caress did I wait this long

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

The Duke posted:

Simon is creepy as gently caress and a great character (season 2 spoiler)I was a little disappointed when he was revealed to be Superhoodie but that turned out pretty good too. And yeah the loss of Nathan is going to be hard going into this new season. Robert Sheehan dropped out to do some lovely plague movie with Nicolas Cage? :downsbravo:

Yeah I have no idea why it had to be Simon considering Curtis actually has a time-traveling power already, and he's an athlete. Makes no sense at all

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

mistermojo posted:

Yeah I have no idea why it had to be Simon considering Curtis actually has a time-traveling power already, and he's an athlete. Makes no sense at all

He no longer has a time traveling power.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Welp, I've been watching I, Claudius lately and it's really loving amazing, in a lot of ways. Not only is it extremely well done, but it's just so far ahead of its time! I mean, for a TV series from 1976, if it were made in an identical manner today it would not only seem totally current but it'd probably create controversy for being so risque and shocking at times! For gently caress's sake, there's a character (Caligula, naturally) who has been engaging in an incestuous affair with his sister and impregnates her - this is viewed as a wonderful thing as they have both declared themselves gods since they're utterly deluded and insane. In a particular scene, he trusses her up in chains in their bed, strips her of her clothes (showing nudity of which there is a lot of for a 1976 BBC series) and proceeds to cut open her belly with a blade and eat the unborn fetus, killing his sister in the process. His reasoning is that since he's a god, the child will eventually just spring from his head like Athena from Zeus. I mean, the actual eating is shown offscreen, he just emerges with his mouth covered in blood and a slightly dazed expression on his face. But still! That's just... I don't really know if you could get away with even implying that in a movie without it being rated NC-17 or something!

Anyway. I'm not even done with it, but it's really unlike anything else I've seen in a lot of ways. Can't believe it's taken me this long to get around to watching it. It's also full of young versions of some very well-known British actors. You've got Brian Blessed, John Hurt, Patrick Stewart (with a full head of hair!), John Rhys-Davies, and Derek Jacobi is of course fantastic in the titular role.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Agreed 100%. I, Claudius was an amazing series. The only thing I didn't like was that it had to come to an end.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Well HBO has gotten the rights to make I Claudius and if its anything like the original and Rome it will be amazing. Also there was a X version of Caligula its title is Caligula and it is a movie to watch with your family and the elderly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are you serious? This is going to be amazing. If they follow the format of the original series it shouldn't be that expensive either. Rome suffered from a huge budget, but it was also extravagantly set. I imagine they can get away redoing this one for a fraction of Rome's budget and still make it look absolutely epic.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Are you serious? This is going to be amazing. If they follow the format of the original series it shouldn't be that expensive either. Rome suffered from a huge budget, but it was also extravagantly set. I imagine they can get away redoing this one for a fraction of Rome's budget and still make it look absolutely epic.

Also they have the sets and props already built. I mean some of it burned down but they still have most of it.

Wartime Consigliere
Mar 27, 2010

by T. Fine
I recorded Season 2 of Breaking Bad on DVR when AMC was marathoning them before the new season. It is missing the plane crash(?) episode and maybe 1 or 2 after it though. Anyway, I binged that while I was sick and have season 3 to catch up on now. I'm kind of saving them so I'll can binge on that now.

Reminds me most of The Sopranos. Kind of a Tony/Chris relationship with Walt/Jesse. Not in how they feel about each other but the dynamic.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Half way through the first season of Louie. I recognise that he's a clever comedian, and it's got an interesting and impressive level of honesty, but I don't really find the show that compelling or funny. I can see why other people rave about it, but it's really not doing much for me at all.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
After hearing about Wildboyz from a friend, I realized it's on Netflix so my girlfriend and I went through some while she was here last weekend.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I've been watching through a National Geographic show called Seconds From Disaster. It's not a current show, but you can catch it via reruns. It's a fantastic show, they go through famous disasters and walk through the events that led up to the 'big moment'. A lot of it focuses on airline disasters - and rightly so, I guess, since there seems to be an innumerable amount of things that bring a plane out of the air. There's other stuff that they cover too, though, like the gas explosions in Guadelajara and the mall collapse in Korea. The show is a little overdramatic at times, but I find it endlessly fascinating.

Another show that I've been watching is A Haunting Normally I hate paranormal shows, with most of them (Ghost Hunters, Paranormal State, Paranormal Home Inspectors...yes, that's actually A Thing) being cheesy reality show fare. Instead, this show redramatizes certain ghost stories - some recent, some old - so for me it's like watching some sort of old-school scary movie. It's great, and some of the episodes are genuinely creepy, whether you believe in this kind of thing or not. The acting is sometimes bad, but for the most part it's pretty good and the direction and music are really well done.

When I'm on night shift and it gets boring, I usually like to watch shows on my ipod about forensics or police procedure, etc. Shows like Solved or Crime 360. In fact, if anyone can recommend any similar shows that I can get off of itunes, it'd be much appreciated. Or if not on itunes, then on DVD, which I can then rip to something my ipod can recognize.

scr0llwheel
Sep 11, 2004
ohelo
Just finished a rewatch of The West Wing and then started in on Sports Night. West Wing is phenomenal again on a second viewing and Sports Night is so far very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

SpitztheGreat posted:

Don't read my spoilers if you haven't watched season six yet!!!

I just did this as well and was shocked by how badly it fell of a cliff in season six. I think a great portion of my frustration is that the big reveal of Booth and Bones finally getting together happens off screen and the audience is only told, indirectly, that it happened at all. On top of that the even bigger reveal of the pregnancy felt cheap as hell.

The writing has never been anything special but it was a good procedural show that I enjoyed watching before bed on my computer. Season six for the most part continues this trend but when it hits the wall it hits it hard. It will be interesting to see where they go from here, but if the creators are smart I think they should start to plan their endgame.

Haha, you weren't kidding, felt like such a cop out. I think I agree with you on the last part as well, thwy might just as well finish it off on a hopefully strong note, seeing as they've essentially fumbled the one red thread in the whole goddamn series. Still, Emily Dechanel <3