Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
That Malden moving sale is still going on so I ordered a Mozak. Can't wait to see what its like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Someone took a nice picture of my pedals.

Etheldreda
Jun 1, 2008

I decided it was past time for a mandolin upgrade.

it's so pretty.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Okay, so I've stayed the hell out of this thread for a long time, because I've had basically no money to spend on instruments. Posting "look at these new strings I got" seems a little pathetic.

But I'm seriously considering picking up a used MiM Strat (S-S-S) if I can find one. Problem is, I really have no idea what a good used price for these is. I've done a lot of looking on CL in my area, and they seem a bit overpriced - running $350-400, most of the time. Is that reasonable at all? A new one runs around $450, from what I can tell.

Am I being unreasonable looking at not wanting to pay more than $300 for a used, standard MiM?

Etheldreda posted:

I decided it was past time for a mandolin upgrade.

it's so pretty.

drat right it is.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Walter posted:

Okay, so I've stayed the hell out of this thread for a long time, because I've had basically no money to spend on instruments. Posting "look at these new strings I got" seems a little pathetic.

But I'm seriously considering picking up a used MiM Strat (S-S-S) if I can find one. Problem is, I really have no idea what a good used price for these is. I've done a lot of looking on CL in my area, and they seem a bit overpriced - running $350-400, most of the time. Is that reasonable at all? A new one runs around $450, from what I can tell.

Am I being unreasonable looking at not wanting to pay more than $300 for a used, standard MiM?

If you troll the local CL ads for a couple weeks you should be able to get one for around $250. Here in Pittsburgh that's the pretty standard going price for a MIM strat.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

I'm not seriously hoping this pedal will be as awesome as everyone says it is, but it'll be fun to play with. There's some pretty good sounding youtube demos of it, so what the hell.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
If you like that sound then yeah, they are incredible.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

the wizards beard posted:

If you like that sound then yeah, they are incredible.

I was sold after I heard this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxms_zOpLGY

I'm not too crazy about the basic chugga chugga death metal sound, but that one hit me in the good time spot.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

HM-2's are a one trick pony, but its one hell of a trick. Entire bands have made their careers off that sound.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
I am interested to see how it will stack with my various other fuzz/dirt boxes and trying it with effects for shoegaze-y stuff.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

ethan posted:

I am interested to see how it will stack with my various other fuzz/dirt boxes and trying it with effects for shoegaze-y stuff.

Post clips of this.

dancehall
Sep 28, 2001

You say you want a revolution
Put a reverb in front of it. That's a classic shoegaze formula.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

HMorg posted:

Post clips of this.

For sure dude! I've got a fuzz factory, a Black Arts LSTR, a RAT and an OCD to mess with!

Also whatever is on my line 6 M13...I'm going to be a busy dude when the HM-2 gets here.

Backup Snacks
Jan 27, 2006

WHO THE FUCK TOLD ME NOT TO SPOKE?

My phones camera flash washed out a lot of the color but :effort:

Takamine GS330S I got tonight. I really like it for a $300 guitar and I think it sounded on par or better than the "cheaper" Martins and Taylors which were like 5-12 hundred.

superdylan
Oct 13, 2005
not 100% stupid
I am loving this Malden, screw my frankenstrat

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Shape feels so good when you play it, doesn't it? How's it sound?

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Got tired of being too cautious to let my JEM 7V leave the house so I bought this fun shred machine instead.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Got tired of being too cautious to let my JEM 7V leave the house so I bought this fun shred machine instead.

I think that picture just gave me sun spots in my eyes.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

HollisBrown posted:

I think that picture just gave me sun spots in my eyes.

Ha. I fully admit it is ludicrous and not for everyone but once you own a bright white guitar with a built-in handle and gold hardware, where can you go from there?

BRAAAAAAAINS
Oct 14, 2010

They so tasty..

Nigel Tufnel posted:

Ha. I fully admit it is ludicrous and not for everyone but once you own a bright white guitar with a built-in handle and gold hardware, where can you go from there?

Built-in handle? Really? Like, suit-case handle? I don't even

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

BRAAAAAAAINS posted:

Built-in handle? Really? Like, suit-case handle? I don't even

Monkey grip!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibanez_JEM

BRAAAAAAAINS
Oct 14, 2010

They so tasty..

The Electronaut posted:

Monkey grip!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibanez_JEM

Wow, that's impressively ridiculous. I would never have thought someone would design something like it and then try to sell it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

BRAAAAAAAINS posted:

Wow, that's impressively ridiculous. I would never have thought someone would design something like it and then try to sell it.

And they have been for 20 years. :iiam:

However, every single one of Vai's Universe models are much more understated, with the exception of the swirls. Though, there is one JEM, the Floral Print one, that is rather classy in its own way.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I'm buying a RAT clone in a plain black box. In thinking of silly ways to customise it I've decided to turn it into a BAT pedal, I can't decide if doing both a Batman logo and a mock rat style logo is too much though, or which Batman logo.

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005

Pretentious Turtle posted:

And they have been for 20 years. :iiam:

However, every single one of Vai's Universe models are much more understated, with the exception of the swirls. Though, there is one JEM, the Floral Print one, that is rather classy in its own way.

I really want the floral JEM. I justify it as an 'investment'. I think I might be addicted to ludicrous 80s guitars :ohdear:

Nigel Tufnel fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 22, 2011

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I worked at a shop that had one of those acrylic JEMs with the LED lights in which cost some ungodly amount of money and all the wierd 40 year olds would come in and play it for hours until we had to put it behind counter.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Well, it was truly outrageous. Truly, truly, truly outrageous.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Actually had this since the 3rd, but it's taken that long (plus a fresh install on Windows :argh:) to get the drat thing working. Still, now it works like a dream, very intuitive mapping and looks purdy when it's all lit up. Just be warned- Automap (which is essentially vital to the Nocturn's use) seems to work much better on older systems- worked first time on my Dad's 7 year old Dell, 3 weeks struggle to work on win 7 x64.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

My Rusty Box came in today! Going to have to just stare at it on my desk until I can get home to try it out though. According to the tracking number I should have some new flatwounds (La Bella) waiting for me when I get home too.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

NonzeroCircle posted:

Actually had this since the 3rd, but it's taken that long (plus a fresh install on Windows :argh:) to get the drat thing working. Still, now it works like a dream, very intuitive mapping and looks purdy when it's all lit up. Just be warned- Automap (which is essentially vital to the Nocturn's use) seems to work much better on older systems- worked first time on my Dad's 7 year old Dell, 3 weeks struggle to work on win 7 x64.

That's because most musical instrument drivers are still written for 32 bit windows and have virtually no support for 64 bit windows, let alone support for windows vista/7.

lowercasejames
Jan 25, 2005

Yee hee.
I haven't gotten one yet, but it seems like they're ganging up on me. It's a little unfair, honestly.

BRAAAAAAAINS
Oct 14, 2010

They so tasty..

lowercasejames posted:

I haven't gotten one yet, but it seems like they're ganging up on me. It's a little unfair, honestly.

Orange amps are <3! Love the sound, and the whole "Black? Naaah, ORANGE!" deal they got going

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

HKR posted:

That's because most musical instrument drivers are still written for 32 bit windows and have virtually no support for 64 bit windows, let alone support for windows vista/7.

Automap 3's latest few versions are designed for 64 bit systems and Win 7- it was my system, not the hardware/software that was the issue- seems a lot of these sort of issues (not just with Automap) are down to Windows' bizzare permissions and registry management.

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001
Just got a Kramer 8 string bass, 300 bucks.

There's something weird going on, I think the intonation is off, and as you go up the neck, there's a bit of a "chorus" effect that happens, but not in a good way, in that there is a beating of two tones which seperates as you go up. I'll post some sounds later, but any one have any experience with these?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

glennnyc posted:

There's something weird going on, I think the intonation is off, and as you go up the neck, there's a bit of a "chorus" effect that happens, but not in a good way, in that there is a beating of two tones which seperates as you go up. I'll post some sounds later, but any one have any experience with these?

Yeah, that's probably an intonation issue between the main string and the octave string. As long as you can adjust each string in the pair individually it's a simple fix. If not there may be a bit of compromise involved. Here's how I remember which way to adjust the bridge:

FFF= Fretted Flat Forward

If the fretted note at the 12th fret is flatter than the harmonic, move the saddle forward (toward the neck) .

Sarah Cenia
Apr 2, 2008

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me

glennnyc posted:

Goddamn. Where did you find such a deal?

glennnyc
Sep 20, 2001

Narwhale posted:

Yeah, that's probably an intonation issue between the main string and the octave string. As long as you can adjust each string in the pair individually it's a simple fix. If not there may be a bit of compromise involved. Here's how I remember which way to adjust the bridge:

FFF= Fretted Flat Forward

If the fretted note at the 12th fret is flatter than the harmonic, move the saddle forward (toward the neck) .

The issue was actually coming up with only the bass strings on. I'll try intonating it and see what happens.

Some samples
Playing with fingers, front pickup, tone all they down, and back pickup tone down.
http://soundcloud.com/user4552243

I got it off craigslist.
This is the funkiest bass I will ever own.
It's a Stagemaster Deluxe 8, will post better pictures eventually.

glennnyc fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Aug 24, 2011

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

glennnyc posted:

The issue was actually coming up with only the bass strings on. I'll try intonating it and see what happens.

Some samples
Playing with fingers, front pickup, tone all they down, and back pickup tone down.
http://soundcloud.com/user4552243

I got it off craigslist.
This is the funkiest bass I will ever own.
It's a Stagemaster Deluxe 8, will post better pictures eventually.

The pickups could be too close to the strings, and judging from the recordings it sounds like they could come down a bit. From Stew Mac:

quote:

Pickups shouldn't be adjusted too close to the strings. For single-coils, there should be about a 1/8" gap between the top of the low E pole piece and the bottom of the low E string fretted at the highest (21st or 22nd) fret, and 3/32" for the high E. Humbuckers can be adjusted closer (3/32"-1/16"), since they don't have as much focused magnetic pull as single-coils.

Adjusting pickups any closer (especially with single-coils) can cause false notes or "wolf-tones." If you've ever played a Strat that sounded like you were getting two notes from one string (usually the wound strings) in the upper registers, you have witnessed this anomaly. It is most often referred to as "Strat-itis" and can cause a lot of head scratching unless you know what is happening. To cure the problem, simply back the bass-side of the neck and middle pickups further away from the strings.

This is written in reference to guitar so the distances will be different, but it sounds like this could help you. Definitely still set your intonation too, though. :)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tiffany and Co. is now selling sterling silver harmonicas for $375. I'm not really sure what to think of that. Looks like it's just a branded Honer Marine Band with pressed silver cover plates.

http://www.tiffany.com/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=12024851

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

I'm a happy boy.