Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

NihilCredo posted:

The Imgur extension works pretty well if that's what you want to do. For saving to your HD, FastStone Capture blows out of the water everything else I've tried in both features and speed, but it's payware.

FastStone is the best and the old versions which (still float about) were freeware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

VisAbsoluta posted:

Could you guys reccomend me a good screenshot extension? I used to have Screengrab, but it seems like they hosed some things up and it doesn't even work on some sites.

I've used FireShot for a while and can't really complain about it at all.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I upgraded to version 6 on my windows 7 desktop and macbook pro laptop. I have fireftp on both computers and it no longer seems to work on either computer. What's weird is that the add-ons menu says Fireftp works but there's no firestp option in the tools menu.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled (restarting Firefox) but that didn't work.

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.

clockworkjoe posted:

I upgraded to version 6 on my windows 7 desktop and macbook pro laptop. I have fireftp on both computers and it no longer seems to work on either computer. What's weird is that the add-ons menu says Fireftp works but there's no firestp option in the tools menu.

Odd. works fine for me.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

clockworkjoe posted:

Uninstalling and reinstalling FF itself rarely fixes the problem because the problem is usually your FF profile (which doesn't get removed when uninstalling). Try creating a new profile. Something is probably fubar.

reboot
May 6, 2011
Just installed Waterfox, and i don't notice any difference between it and the Firefox Beta. Are there any, besides it being "supposedly" faster?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

reboot posted:

Just installed Waterfox, and i don't notice any difference between it and the Firefox Beta. Are there any, besides it being "supposedly" faster?

The whole point of the 3rd party builds is to enable support for SSE, SSE2, x64, and possibly some other instruction sets while also turning on some compiler optimization flags that Mozilla doesn't enable when they compile for whatever reason. I don't believe there are any other differences (but I may be wrong). There probably isn't a noticeable difference except maybe on really JavaScript-heavy sites.

Does anyone know of any comparisons done between vanilla FF and Pale Moon or Waterfox?

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

Standish posted:

Firefox 8 is now Aurora, which does not get major new features added to it, so E10S definitely isn't going to be in that.

Process separation isn't even enabled in the Firefox 9 nightly builds yet (you have to build firefox yourself with a special compile flag) so I wouldn't count on it being in FF9 either.

Out-of-process plugins (OOPP) has shipped in Firefox 3.6.4 in June 2010.

Out-of-process tabs for Fennec is utilized in the Mobile builds.

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Fangs404 posted:

The whole point of the 3rd party builds is to enable support for SSE, SSE2, x64, and possibly some other instruction sets while also turning on some compiler optimization flags that Mozilla doesn't enable when they compile for whatever reason. I don't believe there are any other differences (but I may be wrong). There probably isn't a noticeable difference except maybe on really JavaScript-heavy sites.

Does anyone know of any comparisons done between vanilla FF and Pale Moon or Waterfox?

Pale moon makes a few additional changes, which he details here. Notably, he makes some UI changes in Palemoon 4.0+, to bring back a few features from 3.x (status bar, tab location I think). I run Pale Moon, but I actually went through the trouble to revert the look to stock Firefox.

Also, third party builds are not compatible with Firefox Sync (Mozilla's restriction). I suppose if you found a third party sync server, that would do, but I didn't think it was worth it.

Edit: Sync seems to work with palemoon again

kapinga fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Sep 1, 2011

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

kapinga posted:

Pale moon makes a few additional changes, which he details here. Notably, he makes some UI changes in Palemoon 4.0+, to bring back a few features from 3.x (status bar, tab location I think). I run Pale Moon, but I actually went through the trouble to revert the look to stock Firefox.

Also, third party builds are not compatible with Firefox Sync (Mozilla's restriction). I suppose if you found a third party sync server, that would do, but I didn't think it was worth it.

Oh, this page is awesome. They have pretty extensive performance comparisons there. DOM and CSS performance improvements are pretty impressive.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

So what's the word on fixing the constant hangs? very annoying it freezing and me having to close it out then restart it every 5 minutes. Google chrome just isnt the same.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

RBX posted:

So what's the word on fixing the constant hangs? very annoying it freezing and me having to close it out then restart it every 5 minutes. Google chrome just isnt the same.

Try creating a new profile? I don't experience this. It also may be a buggy extension.

mobn
May 23, 2005

by Ozmaugh

Microsoft Spy posted:

Out-of-process plugins (OOPP) has shipped in Firefox 3.6.4 in June 2010.

Out-of-process tabs for Fennec is utilized in the Mobile builds.

Right, but we're talking about separate processes per tab in the desktop browser..

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

mobn posted:

Right, but we're talking about separate processes per tab in the desktop browser..

All those things are components for e10s, I can tell you its being worked on very actively to expand it to more areas.

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.
In case anyone cares to see how add-ons are doing for compatibility you can see stats here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/compatibility/report/7.0

Chunks Hammerdong
Nov 1, 2009
I like to keep my previously opened tabs saved so that when Firefox opens they are all still there and I don't have to manually do it. However, Firefox hates it and takes bloody ages to load everything, along with much hard drive thrashing. It's only around 7-8 tabs as well.

This is generally only a problem for a few minutes in the morning but still, it eats into my internet pictures time while eating my breakfast :colbert:

I previously had an addon that would only load tabs when I clicked on them for the first time, which greatly reduced this problem but it stopped working at some point and I've forgotten what it is anyway. Anything else that does this?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

TheDukeOfFail posted:

I like to keep my previously opened tabs saved so that when Firefox opens they are all still there and I don't have to manually do it. However, Firefox hates it and takes bloody ages to load everything, along with much hard drive thrashing. It's only around 7-8 tabs as well.

This is generally only a problem for a few minutes in the morning but still, it eats into my internet pictures time while eating my breakfast :colbert:

I previously had an addon that would only load tabs when I clicked on them for the first time, which greatly reduced this problem but it stopped working at some point and I've forgotten what it is anyway. Anything else that does this?
Probably not much use to you at the minute, but the nightly builds have this feature built-in.

Actually, so do the Aurora builds.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 22, 2011

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TheDukeOfFail posted:

Set browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs to 0.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."

TheDukeOfFail posted:

Isn't this what the Panorama feature is for?

Sedes
Jun 7, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

Thank You oh so much.

Chunks Hammerdong
Nov 1, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

My god. It's beautiful.

Thanks.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'm using Waterfox now and it's plenty fast, but what is the Extreme Edition they list but you can't download?

cregets
Nov 21, 2002

I just upgraded to 6.0 but now my back/forward mouse buttons wont work anywhere, not just here on SA. I already have AdBlockPlus installed and it is working, just the buttons on the mouse are not. Any suggestions? Google turned up nothing so far.

Microsoft Spy
Jun 10, 2002

Corporate whore x2.

cregets posted:

I just upgraded to 6.0 but now my back/forward mouse buttons wont work anywhere, not just here on SA. I already have AdBlockPlus installed and it is working, just the buttons on the mouse are not. Any suggestions? Google turned up nothing so far.

What OS are you on? & what kind of mouse?

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster
What kind of mouse do you have/do you have any software installed that modifies the mouse (Logitech SetPoint, et. al.)? I've had to remap the forward/back keys in SetPoint before to alt-left and alt-right. Sometimes SetPoint also decides to screw with the mouse settings and simply resetting the thing to default has also fixed forward/back keys for me in the past.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

kapinga posted:

I have no issues with synch on Pale Moon (x64). about :config shows what appears to be the Mozilla server

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Didn't see anyone mention this, but Firefox 7 has been in beta for a few weeks:
  • Drastically improved memory use
  • Added a new rendering backend to speed up Canvas operations on Windows systems
  • Bookmark and password changes now sync almost instantly when using Firefox Sync
  • Added support for text-overflow: ellipsis
  • Added support for the Web Timing specification
  • Added an opt-in system for users to send performance data back to Mozilla to improve future versions of Firefox. This can be enabled by installing an add-on
  • Fixed several stability issues
During random browsing, I find it does seem to use less memory on x64 Windows 7.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

WattsvilleBlues posted:

During random browsing, I find it does seem to use less memory on x64 Windows 7.

Is this version the one to finally have an x64 build?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Any idea if it fixes text aliasing for hardware acceleration on lovely graphics cards?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

jeeves posted:

Is this version the one to finally have an x64 build?

Nope, still only on the nightly channels. Any time I've played with those builds they've been fairly stable, though that's without any extensions etc. installed.

Mak0rz posted:

Any idea if it fixes text aliasing for hardware acceleration on lovely graphics cards?

Yup, although I got the lovely text aliasing in Firefox 4-6 and my graphics card isn't total bollocks (nVidia GTS 250). I'd actually gotten used to the blurry fonts, but going back to Firefox 6 now is just painful.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'm having a weird issue trying to get Aurora to run. Windows 7-64, installed it with no issues, but after running the addon compatibility checker it just stops. Nothing lurking in the process list, even.

It seemed to be using my Firefox 6 profile automatically, judging from it sifting through the earlier version's extensions. Do I need to completely yank my FF6 install, or somehow force it to start using a blank profile?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Yup, although I got the lovely text aliasing in Firefox 4-6 and my graphics card isn't total bollocks (nVidia GTS 250).

That's good to hear, because I'm tired of the slow-as-poo poo HTML5 rendering :argh:

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Didn't see anyone mention this, but Firefox 7 has been in beta for a few weeks:
[list]
[*]Drastically improved memory use

don't they basically list this everytime, but yet firefox still uses a huge amount of memory?

I love firefox but it seems they put that into every release but it never gets THAT much better.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai

Neu posted:

don't they basically list this everytime, but yet firefox still uses a huge amount of memory?

I love firefox but it seems they put that into every release but it never gets THAT much better.

Almost the entire purpose of the Firefox 7 release was for reducing memory usage. They actually did a significant amount of work, and I've been fairly impressed so far. It still uses quite a bit, but nowhere near what it used to. I'd say it's pretty close to Chrome's overall usage for the same number of tabs.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Ever since upgrading to Firefox 6, links clicked in other programs won't open in Firefox unless the program is running as Administrator. Firefox isn't running as Admin, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Anybody else having this problem or know how to fix it?

edit: Restarting Firefox fixed it. I guess since Firefox was still running from when I updated it, it was running as Administrator or something? I have no idea.

bebaloorpabopalo fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Sep 3, 2011

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Bebopaloobop posted:

Ever since upgrading to Firefox 6, links clicked in other programs won't open in Firefox unless the program is running as Administrator. Firefox isn't running as Admin, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Anybody else having this problem or know how to fix it?

edit: Restarting Firefox fixed it. I guess since Firefox was still running from when I updated it, it was running as Administrator or something? I have no idea.

Administrative access is required to complete the upgrade. It was probably trying to do that.

cre3d
Aug 11, 2004
the one and only

Neu posted:

Been using nightly for a couple weeks now and I must admit, memory usage is less than half of what my Firefox 6 install was using. Even on pages with lots of embedded content, it's just a nice even linear progression of memory usage as tab count goes up. I dare say they plugged some leaks :)

Fapos
Feb 10, 2004

*FAP* *FaP* *faP*
About the fonts, I had a little look around since they had changed again going from beta to aurora with hardware accelleration on and found gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode in about:config has a few options you can try:

-1 - Firefox default
0 - Default
1 - Aliased
2 - GDI Classic
3 - GDI Natural
4 - Natural
5 - Natural Symmetric

Mine was set to -1 but some characters look really weird, like "7" is really wide. I found 0 to be the best looking.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fapos posted:

About the fonts, I had a little look around since they had changed again going from beta to aurora with hardware accelleration on and found gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.rendering_mode in about :config has a few options you can try:

-1 - Firefox default
0 - Default
1 - Aliased
2 - GDI Classic
3 - GDI Natural
4 - Natural
5 - Natural Symmetric

Mine was set to -1 but some characters look really weird, like "7" is really wide. I found 0 to be the best looking.

:aaa: Setting it to 3 fixed all of my font woes in Firefox 6. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I've been using this [ https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/anti-aliasing-tuner ] addon since I started using Firefox 4 and was horrified with the font rendering. Has worked an absolute treat, and it looks like it's been updated to support pre-release versions too.
Oh, it looks like he doesn't recommend it for 6 >
Still, might help someone out with 4/5.