Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Aren't you going to look dumb when Possible Gay Jon Connington describes his dream in which he plunges his griffin into Rhaegar's anus!!

The (non) argument was not that you guys are noted homophobes. That would be possible reason for missing the subtext, as shown in the TVIV threads when Renly was outed as a homosexual to the amazement of a bunch of gibbering retards. You guys were just accused of being bad readers, although missing subtext in a paragraph flashback by a minor POV is easy to do.

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
It's all a fake argument designed to troll people so who cares.

But maybe Rhaegar lost the battle on the Trident because his bum was awful sore after a tender night of loving from Connington.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

So lets start listing all the effects that Bran has had so far on the story.

- Got himself thrown off a tower for witnessing incest, starting the whole goddamn plot, which ultimately led to getting his father and brother killed, sisters scattered around the world, and rickon raised by cannibals.

- Scared his father by speaking through the tress to his past.

- Gave Theon back his identity by whispering his name to him in his hour of need.

- (Possibly) tried to communicate to his half-brother Jon through the raven, managed to say "Jon Snow" and distract him for a few seconds.

- psychologically abused Hodor until he was a quivering mess.

what else am i missing?

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Vorgen posted:

So lets start listing all the effects that Bran has had so far on the story.

- Got himself thrown off a tower for witnessing incest, starting the whole goddamn plot, which ultimately led to getting his father and brother killed, sisters scattered around the world, and rickon raised by cannibals.
Bran didn't start the whole plot. Stannis and Jon Arryn knew about the whole incest plot, Lysa's letter was sent, and Robert was going to make Ned the Hand regardless of any of that.

Bran getting thrown wouldn't have even changed anything had Joffrey not tried to kill him. That's what got Catelyn to head south and start loving things up.

Bran, Arya, and Sansa are growing more and more influential as their stories progress. Eventually they'll be players in their own rights.

I had a thought the other day that Sansa might force Littlefinger's hand when she hears about the fake Arya Stark being married to Ramsay Bolton, and reveal herself as Sansa to the Vale and attempt to rally them to assist the North.

It seems like a good way to get multiple factions together on Westeros while the same thing is happening in Meereen.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Quantify! posted:

It's all a fake argument designed to troll people so who cares.

But maybe Rhaegar lost the battle on the Trident because his bum was awful sore after a tender night of loving from Connington.

To me it seemed very reasonable that Jon Connington had gay feelings for Rhaegar. But there are no hints whatsoever of those being returned.

E.g. Connington is gay, Rhaegar is not.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

OperaMouse posted:

To me it seemed very reasonable that Jon Connington had gay feelings for Rhaegar. But there are no hints whatsoever of those being returned.

E.g. Connington is gay, Rhaegar is not.
Rhaegar enjoyed playing instruments as a youth. It's no stretch to imagine that he enjoyed playing the skin flute as well. It's all in the subtext man.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Rhaegar's castle also had many flying buttresses. Take that for what you will.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

TheFatController posted:

He refers to himself as a 'holy man' a few times who doesnt need to fear the others, implying there is a religion which is on the side of the others, I wonder if it's one of the one's we've met so far and if that's going to be a big reveal next book..

It's the Seven. The Others are the physical manifestation of the aspect of the Stranger, and they're out for blood because not enough people pay homage to him/her/it. The threat to the world is ended when all people in Westeros put aside their differences and pray to the Stranger for forgiveness. Appeased, the Stranger and the Others will disappear from the world.

Nothing about dragons, or wargs, or prophecies will wind up mattering in the least.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Jon Connington is in fact a fictional character and does not possess an empirically verifiable sexual orientation. The author of the novel titled A Dance with Dragons may or may not have intended to create the impression in the minds of his readers that, within the fictional world of the novel, the character Jon Connington has evinced sexual attraction to another male character. Various in- and out-of-context pieces of data lend weight to the hypothesis that George R.R. Martin intended to create this impression. However, there exist arguments suggesting that this data is not sufficient to support the hypothesis with sufficient certainty to rely on it as "fact," primarily due to the credibility of competing hypotheses which are fronted within the text itself, e.g., Connington and Rhaegar were dear friends.

Either way, it does not seem particularly relevant, whereas the relationship between the fictional characters Renly and Loras did have significant ramifications to the plot.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Blind Sally posted:

It's the Seven. The Others are the physical manifestation of the aspect of the Stranger, and they're out for blood because not enough people pay homage to him/her/it. The threat to the world is ended when all people in Westeros put aside their differences and pray to the Stranger for forgiveness. Appeased, the Stranger and the Others will disappear from the world.

Nothing about dragons, or wargs, or prophecies will wind up mattering in the least.

That's an interesting theory. I've always thought the Stranger was the least thought-out of the religious ideas presented in Martin's writing, but maybe I was wrong. Then again, if all that's required is a bunch of prayers, why did the Night's Watch build the Wall and safeguard it all these years? When the Children and First Men defeated the Others last go-round, there wasn't even a Faith of the Seven around if memory serves.

Calef posted:

Jon Connington is in fact a fictional character and does not possess an empirically verifiable sexual orientation. The author of the novel titled A Dance with Dragons may or may not have intended to create the impression in the minds of his readers that, within the fictional world of the novel, the character Jon Connington has evinced sexual attraction to another male character. Various in- and out-of-context pieces of data lend weight to the hypothesis that George R.R. Martin intended to create this impression. However, there exist arguments suggesting that this data is not sufficient to support the hypothesis with sufficient certainty to rely on it as "fact," primarily due to the credibility of competing hypotheses which are fronted within the text itself, e.g., Connington and Rhaegar were dear friends.

Either way, it does not seem particularly relevant, whereas the relationship between the fictional characters Renly and Loras did have significant ramifications to the plot.

You are either stupid or bigoted! Kidding aside, you are right - whether or not Jon loved Rhaegar as a dear friend and comrade-in-arms, or as a potential love interest matters little. Either way he has been nurturing a deep and profound sense of loss and failure for being unable to help Rhaegar hold his family's Kingdom together, and will stop and nothing to make amends for it.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 22, 2011

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Calef posted:

Jon Connington is in fact a fictional character and does not possess an empirically verifiable sexual orientation. The author of the novel titled A Dance with Dragons may or may not have intended to create the impression in the minds of his readers that, within the fictional world of the novel, the character Jon Connington has evinced sexual attraction to another male character. Various in- and out-of-context pieces of data lend weight to the hypothesis that George R.R. Martin intended to create this impression.
Some guy asked GRRM if "a certain POV character" (probably Connington) was gay at a Q&A after the Union Square's signing.
GRRM's answer: "I can't answer that [note: due to it having been 'no spoilers' at the Q&A], but if you're talking about what I think you're talking about, then you're correct."

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 22, 2011

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
I just finished ADWD, sorry if this topic has been done to death already but I don't really feel like reading 100 pages here to get the general consensus. I thought this was easily the worst book of the series so far. I think ADWD and AFFC could easily have been combined into one pretty good book if you chopped out all the repetition and uninteresting POVs (does anyone really give two shits what any of the ironborn are doing or what Areo Hotah thinks about things?).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Aren't you going to look dumb when Possible Gay Jon Connington describes his dream in which he plunges his griffin into Rhaegar's anus!!
I think you meant to say 'Rhaegar's Roost.' Griffin plunges into the roost.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
I actually really like most of the ironborn/Dorne chapters, except that Aeron's can get awfully repetitive.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl
If you cut out all the ironborn except Victarion (and Theon if he counts) Things Would Be Better.

Oh and give flashback chapters to Euron instead.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Quantify! posted:

If you cut out all the ironborn except Victarion (and Theon if he counts) Things Would Be Better.

Oh and give flashback chapters to Euron instead.

Yeah Victarion's weren't so bad. Theon I could do without.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

I actually really like most of the ironborn/Dorne chapters, except that Aeron's can get awfully repetitive.

Agreed. The Dorne chapters were some of my favorite from AFFC and DWD. Ironborn were OK. Victarion started out slow but got better towards the latter stages. Theon-in-Pyke chapters were somewhat painful, but Reek-in-Winterfell was masterful.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

enigma74 posted:

It seems all the religions that have power involve human sacrifice. R'hllor likes people burned alive, the drowned god gets drowned people, even the old gods (if they even are gods) got some fresh blood spilled for them as Bran saw while training.

I really get the impression that there is just a general magical power tied into sacrifice that manifests differently depending on how you off a dude, and the different religions tap into a few specific sides of that and call it their god. At the very least it would explain how Victarion could shack up with two "gods" without one or the other getting all pissy about it.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Is there evidence of any of the gods actually providing magical powers except for R'hllor?

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
The old gods definitely exist and Do Stuff, though they are more like ancestral Na'vi tree spirits or some poo poo than the traditional idea of gods. Damphair has a pretty wicked resuscitation winrate and manages to subsist on seawater without making GBS threads himself to death, but I think that's about it so far.

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ross posted:

Is there evidence of any of the gods actually providing magical powers except for R'hllor?

Well the old gods have warging, green dreams, and seeing the past through trees and the faceless men are able to drastically change their appearances.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I actually skimmed through Connington's chapters. I just thought they were boring. I mean, I guess it's necessary to know what Aegon is doing but that whole subplot just doesn't interest me. We already have a Targ, and she has dragons and something resembling a personality and a super badass Kingsguard knight. Dany's chapters got annoying in Dance what with the Daario pining, but eh, she's a teenager. I think her arc in Dance was mostly her going through her Order of the Phoenix phase. Aegon's just sort of bland. I'm not really worried about him taking over the whole plot, though. the Tyrion chapters where he was playing GRRM chess seemed to point out that the kid is kind of stupid. Even Connington muses on Aegon's mistakes.

I don't really expect him to last too long. Sure he's been raised to be a prince by some determined motherfuckers in exile, but despite all that, he's poised to gently caress up and get himself killed.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I think every character should use their sexuality as a title.

For instance, "You know nothing, Jon Snow, Heterosexual."

"Lord Tywin Lannister, Super-Hetero to the Point of Being Homophobic, did not, in the end, poo poo gold."

"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night and like penis in my butt."

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

The thing that annoyed me about the Daario stuff in Dance (apart from it being way more boring than Dany the Conqueror from Storm of Swords) is that I thought it came out of nowhere, but while rereading Storm she does express attraction to him, so I guess it was there. Ah well, hopefully it'll be over with in Winds of Winter (if it comes out) when she comes back to Meereen with a khalasar and trained dragon to burn the place to the ground. (I CAN DREAM, OKAY.)

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Mahlertov Cocktail posted:

The thing that annoyed me about the Daario stuff in Dance (apart from it being way more boring than Dany the Conqueror from Storm of Swords) is that I thought it came out of nowhere, but while rereading Storm she does express attraction to him, so I guess it was there. Ah well, hopefully it'll be over with in Winds of Winter (if it comes out) when she comes back to Meereen with a khalasar and trained dragon to burn the place to the ground. (I CAN DREAM, OKAY.)

In my fan fiction fantasy, Dany T and her dragons render everything east of the narrow sea into smoldering rubble.

edit: everything except Strong Belwas.

Ross fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 22, 2011

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

Ross posted:

In my fan fiction fantasy, Dany T and her dragons render everything east of the narrow sea into smoldering rubble.

Nah, leave Braavos. Braavos is cool.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Ross posted:

In mine everyone related to the Aegon subplot dies and then the last two books are sucked into a blackhole. Suddenly it's the year 2000 again and maybe things will turn out all right this time. :unsmith:

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

YES bread posted:

Suddenly it's the year 2000 again and maybe things will turn out all right this time. :unsmith:
I'm pretty sure Stephen King already used that trick in the Dark Tower series.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
This thread is gay. Allusions to it hit you over the head every three posts, and if you didn't pick up on them you are a terrible poster.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
Well your forums name certainly was a big clue

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

CornHolio posted:

"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night and like penis in my butt."
Surely that's not what 'dark star' refers to...

lapse
Jun 27, 2004

People are being dumb in this thread, but honestly I think gay characters are handled pretty well in this series. Much more-so than, say, female characters.

Yeah, they're not allowed to be "out" in GRRM's world, but there are very few stereotypes to be found.

Pretty much the only "certain" gays, out of the major characters, are Loras, Renly, Connington, and maybe the Blackfish. All badasses, especially Connington - that story was one of the redeeming parts of ADWD frankly.

I loved that part where they are capturing a bunch of land like 20 minutes after landing, and he strolls into his old home and is like "sup everyone, I am the new lord here". Plot actually moved fast, unlike every other plot line (10 chapters of being stuck in the snow en route to Winterfell, loving Mereen, etc.)

lapse fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 22, 2011

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Habibi posted:

Surely that's not what 'dark star' refers to...

If you missed this implication you should probably give up and stop reading as you aren't good at it.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

A Typical Goon posted:

If you missed this implication you should probably give up and stop reading as you aren't good at it.

:regd08:

Man this never started stops being funny!

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I liked my "in a man like Rhaegar" joke.

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!

lapse posted:

People are being dumb in this thread, but honestly I think gay characters are handled pretty well in this series. Much more-so than, say, female characters.

Yeah, they're not allowed to be "out" in GRRM's world, but there are very few stereotypes to be found.

Pretty much the only "certain" gays, out of the major characters, are Loras, Renly, Connington, and maybe the Blackfish. All badasses, especially Connington - that story was one of the redeeming parts of ADWD frankly.

I loved that part where they are capturing a bunch of land like 20 minutes after landing, and he strolls into his old home and is like "sup everyone, I am the new lord here". Plot actually moved fast, unlike every other plot line (10 chapters of being stuck in the snow en route to Winterfell, loving Mereen, etc.)

yeah I don't get the Connington hate at all, and that chapter in particular kicked rear end.

[img-connington-dwi.gif]

shen
Jan 22, 2006

Quantify! posted:

Bran didn't start the whole plot. Stannis and Jon Arryn knew about the whole incest plot, Lysa's letter was sent, and Robert was going to make Ned the Hand regardless of any of that.

I haven't re-read books 1-3 in a couple years, could you explain more about this? My understanding was:

- Jon Arryn discovers the incest
- Littlefinger gets Lysa to poison Jon Arryn so no one finds out about the incest
- Because Jon Arryn died, Robert decides to make Ned the Hand
- Ned discovers the incest
- Ned writes a letter to Stannis telling him to come take the throne, which is how Stannis discovers the incest

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Habibi posted:

I think you meant to say 'Rhaegar's Roost.' Griffin plunges into the roost.

I knew I was missing something, thanks for that.

I hope Dany comes over in the next book, and whether she succeeds is irrelevant if only the two greatest characters get to meet up and be best bros/homosexual lovers.

Of course I am referring to Darkstar, sexually confused youth and Daario, possible bisexual (blue hair).

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

shen posted:

I haven't re-read books 1-3 in a couple years, could you explain more about this? My understanding was:

- Jon Arryn discovers the incest
- Littlefinger gets Lysa to poison Jon Arryn so no one finds out about the incest
- Because Jon Arryn died, Robert decides to make Ned the Hand
- Ned discovers the incest
- Ned writes a letter to Stannis telling him to come take the throne, which is how Stannis discovers the incest
Jon Arryn told Stannis before he died. When Jon Arryn died Stannis fled to Dragonstone.

In any case they were planning to gather evidence (in the form of Robert's dozen bastards that had black hair and his royal children with yellow hair) and confront Robert. This would've led to Robert declaring war against the Lannisters.

War... war is inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

lapse posted:

I think the reason Connington's chapters had such quick plot movement is that him and Aegon are new players in the game, relatively unopposed and blindsiding pretty much everyone. Only Varys and Tyrion seem to know they exist.

Once they face the fact that Westeros is incredibly fractured, I imagine their taking over of places will slow down considerably.