Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElectricWizard
Oct 21, 2008

HMorg posted:

Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats
Absolutely loving this, the main riff of 13 Candles is one of the best things I've heard in a while!

Apparently Samsara Blues Experiment are coming out with a new album in November, titled "Revelation & Mystery". Their 2010 debut was phenomenal, so I'm really looking forwards to hearing some new stuff.

Also, Black Pyramid have a new album due soon. This is why you should be excited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLeyFDUGT2I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The Atlas Moth has their new record streaming on Pitchfork.

Figured this would catch some interest :)

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I'm absolutely excited to see that Thou is supporting Wolves in the Throne Room on their east coast tour.

Get to see two kick rear end bands next month.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I'm absolutely excited to see that Thou is supporting Wolves in the Throne Room on their east coast tour.

Kind of off topic but it's pretty amusing how all the "real" metalheads here really dislike/despise Wolves In The Throne Room. I love em and get poo poo all the time from my friends who are into trve kvlt black metal :cool:

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

Kind of off topic but it's pretty amusing how all the "real" metalheads here really dislike/despise Wolves In The Throne Room. I love em and get poo poo all the time from my friends who are into trve kvlt black metal :cool:

I agree with you completely. I don't have that many friends who listen to trve kvlt black metal, but I've noticed the dislike in the black metal thread.

In other news, if you happen to be in Helsinki, Finland on Sept. 3rd, come see ECW play live at Gloria with Brymir and Refusal (who aren't really relevant to the thread, however) and a tba fourth band.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

lordblytzkrieg posted:

Get to see two kick rear end bands next month.

Not in NC it seems :(

BUT, I get to see Thou open for Pg. 99 this weekend so it's all good :)

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
For fans of vinyl and Black Sabbath, Sabbath's 'Born Again' Deluxe Edition To Be Released On Vinyl.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

Not in NC it seems :(

Actually...

Wolves in the Throne Room
Greensboro, NC, Legitimate Buisness - Sunday Sep 18th
Playing with: Mt. Eerie, Megaton Leviathan

Enjoy!!!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Actually...

Wolves in the Throne Room
Greensboro, NC, Legitimate Buisness - Sunday Sep 18th
Playing with: Mt. Eerie, Megaton Leviathan

Enjoy!!!

Oh I know! That's literally about a mile from my apartment :) I'm just saying, it doesn't seem Thou is opening at that show.

I'm still going to have a blast either way, assuming I can get in. Greensboro is absolutely bonkers for WitTR for some reason. It's all the hipster bike punk metal kids I think.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Not to derail too much, but I know we have some musicians in here and I need an opinion about a fuzz pedal... I've been looking around and need help choosing between a Fuzzy Lady from PlumCrazy FX or a Hoof from Earthquaker devices. Or maybe another one I just missed completely? I'm leaning towards the Hoof right now.

For content, I picked up Elder's new release Dead Roots Stirring last week and got around to listening to it today, and I gotta say its another pretty solid release by Meteorcity. I guess they have pretty good ear for choosing their lineups cause so many oftheir bands consistently nailed that stoner/sludge sound. I'm not blown away or anything, but it was like :10bux: so I'm not disappointed at all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izca21HMt20

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Xlyfindel posted:

Not to derail too much, but I know we have some musicians in here and I need an opinion about a fuzz pedal... I've been looking around and need help choosing between a Fuzzy Lady from PlumCrazy FX or a Hoof from Earthquaker devices. Or maybe another one I just missed completely? I'm leaning towards the Hoof right now.

I haven't played the fuzzy lady, but it looks pretty good for those 60s style sounds.

The hoof is a pretty killer pedal for stoner and doom stuff. It really depends on the sound you're after, as there is a pretty much unlimited amount of fuzz pedals out there!

I bought a Black Arts LSTR and I couldn't be happier with it, but it's the sound I wanted.

Xlyfindel
Dec 16, 2003
Raw Esoteric
Oh yeah I know, its taken me a while to narrow it down to those 2.
I don't play stoner/doom exclusively, so I'd like to be able to use it for other things. But I do play it for fun and I want to be able to nail that sound and maybe a couple others when I do so I figured I'd ask here. I've been getting close with just my overdrive cranked to fuzziness, but it isn't the same as a dedicated fuzz. Thanks for the Black Arts tip, definitely good stuff there.

Pre-Cambrian Syndrome
Jan 6, 2006

Just dropping by to tell y'all that Saturnalia Temple's Aion of Drakon vinyl finally seems to be dropping in America tomorrow, http://www.theajnaoffensive.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=146&Itemid=1

If you live in Europe you should probably order via http://www.nuclearwinterrecords.com/

Thank you for your time.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

im_sorry posted:

That's unfortunate. I really like that song. :(

Can you do "What in Tarnation"? I'm trying to learn the guitar, too, and being able to play along with the bass might help me understand what the guitars are doing, as well as helping me to understand exactly why the visible guitarist in the video does some of the moves he does on his guitar.

"Treehead" does have some good riffs, but recording it killed it for us, unfortunately, because we became acutely aware of how lame some of the parts are.

I'm still proud of "Tarnation," though, which is odd considering I'm usually my worst critic. That's the only tune on the album that I'm solely responsible for writing and arranging, so I should be able to whip something up for you. It's in the key of B in drop D tuning if that helps you any.

EDIT: I almost forgot- many, if not all of you will probably dig BC heavy riffers Weirding, who just put out an album on Bandcamp.

Juaguocio fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Aug 25, 2011

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!
I come bearing gifts.

HUNTERS - You can listen to their whole album streaming here. Brvtal, fast, heavy, sludge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMzbys1HAk

And Romero, kinda Baroness-y. Their 7" is available for the low low price of FREE, but if you feel it's worth more then you can pay whatever you like.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Polegrinder posted:

I come bearing gifts.

HUNTERS - You can listen to their whole album streaming here. Brvtal, fast, heavy, sludge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iMzbys1HAk

Thank you. My face was your avatar when I listened to that.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
http://stonedjesus.bandcamp.com/album/first-communion

This time, it actually is the whole album for free.

Edit: Thanks, Juaguocio!!! http://www.youtube.com/thirdwheel#p/a/u/0/PKa89FvB05I

im_sorry fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 30, 2011

ethan
Dec 16, 2004

Juaguocio posted:

"Treehead" does have some good riffs, but recording it killed it for us, unfortunately, because we became acutely aware of how lame some of the parts are.

I'm still proud of "Tarnation," though, which is odd considering I'm usually my worst critic. That's the only tune on the album that I'm solely responsible for writing and arranging, so I should be able to whip something up for you. It's in the key of B in drop D tuning if that helps you any.

EDIT: I almost forgot- many, if not all of you will probably dig BC heavy riffers Weirding, who just put out an album on Bandcamp.

Weirding rules. It was funny when Old Crowe cabs provided the backline for the Riffs Not Riots show...but they just HAD to lug their Electric cabs in too. That's determination!

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

ElectricWizard posted:

Also, Black Pyramid have a new album due soon. This is why you should be excited:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLeyFDUGT2I

This just popped up yesterday. Definitely looking forward to it on my morning commute.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Cough (Relapse Records) will be playing a handful of shows in Florida this Labor Day Weekend.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Would be cool if they came further south!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Weaponized Cum posted:

Would be cool if they came further south!

Further south than Florida?

Like... South America?

Cough put on a really righteous show, any FL goons should go.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

QPZIL posted:

Further south than Florida?

Like... South America?

Cough put on a really righteous show, any FL goons should go.

We'll also have a follow up show that Monday with Cough in Orlando, FL.

It's Web Comic Wednesday! Today's joke is brought to you by Boris, Scion A/V, Orange Amps and Fangs Anal Satan.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

ethan posted:

Weirding rules. It was funny when Old Crowe cabs provided the backline for the Riffs Not Riots show...but they just HAD to lug their Electric cabs in too. That's determination!

Yeah, the guitarist told me after the show that they were aiming to have the fewest notes with the most volume. Ancients killed it at that show as well. They're not really a stoner/doom band, but I think a lot of folks in this thread would dig them, since they remind me a lot of Mastodon. You can get their two-song EP for free here: http://ancientbear.bandcamp.com/album/ancients-ep

im_sorry posted:

Edit: Thanks, Juaguocio!!! http://www.youtube.com/thirdwheel#p/a/u/0/PKa89FvB05I

You're welcome! That was a lot more difficult than I remembered; we played it a lot slower at our last few shows.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Holy poo poo

[img]http://orlandooomdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/296533_257993900891188_121866854503894_952898_7500021_n.jpg?w=400&h=540][/img]

Read the full story on this masterpiece of a festival here.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Saw Bison BC last night, ears ringing. Highly recommended if you like early Mastodon and beards. I believe they are kicking off their tour along with Weedeater, Saviours and Fight Amp.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

ElectricWizard posted:

Also, Black Pyramid have a new album due soon. This is why you should be excited:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLeyFDUGT2I

This, this is good. I wasn't a huge fan of their first album, but this is really great. Funny thing is, this isn't a new album, it's a collection of a 7" and rare songs previous released that you can't find anymore.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not sure if they're counted as doom or sludge (they kinda are) but I'm digging the poo poo out of Jesu's S/T at the moment, especially Friends are Evil and Man, Woman.
Also someone stole my mp3 player last night, it had 5 or 6 years worth of doom on it :( Sad times.

Flying-Jigs
Apr 1, 2005

its a cookie
The new Black Pyramid is really, really great. Every time I listened to their first album, I couldn't quite get into it as every riff sounded ultra familiar. This new album is miles better.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Flying-Jigs posted:

The new Black Pyramid is really, really great. Every time I listened to their first album, I couldn't quite get into it as every riff sounded ultra familiar. This new album is miles better.

Illumination is probably one of the best songs I've ever heard.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

West posted:

Holy poo poo

[timg]http://orlandooomdotcom.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/296533_257993900891188_121866854503894_952898_7500021_n.jpg?w=400&h=540][/timg]

Read the full story on this masterpiece of a festival here.

I saw this. I wish I could be there.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I was just flipping through some TV and I heard Acid King's Drive fast, take chances on the CW for a supernatural preview. Can never forget that riff, its so sick.

NuclearGuru
Jan 4, 2011

lordblytzkrieg posted:

I was just flipping through some TV and I heard Acid King's Drive fast, take chances on the CW for a supernatural preview. Can never forget that riff, its so sick.

That track is a classic of the genre for sure. Bout time I gave that another spin.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is anyone here a fan of Thou? I heard their cover of Paroled in '54, but I'm not sure what album to go for first. They've got something like 20 demos, eps, and splits out in the past few years.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.
Thou is awesome. "Summit" is my favourite. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-NSm0w8uqk&feature=related

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is anyone here a fan of Thou? I heard their cover of Paroled in '54, but I'm not sure what album to go for first. They've got something like 20 demos, eps, and splits out in the past few years.

I suggest you get pretty much everything you can get your hands on.
"Summit" would be a great place to start, though.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
I also really enjoyed "The Archer and The Owle" which seems to be an EP of Summmit b-sides. I never would've guessed that though, it's really solid.

beeps-a-palooza
Jan 2, 2009

by T. Finn
electric wizard is playing MDF 2012.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

beeps-a-palooza posted:

electric wizard is playing MDF 2012.

Holy poo poo this is going to be the best MDF

GODFLESH (UK)
ELECTRIC WIZARD (UK)
SAINT VITUS
EYEHATEGOD
YOB
CHURCH OF MISERY (Japan)
RWAKE
COUGH

And that's just the bands that would be relevant to this thread :stare:
I thought Rwake broke up? Did I imagine that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Globochem
Jul 19, 2003
We own everything so you don't have to.
Sorry if this has already been covered, but where do you guys get most of your stoner rock-related news? Ever since stonerrock.com and its forums died I haven't really been keeping up with the scene. Has anyone picked up where they left off?