Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gregday
May 23, 2003

For heat management, is is better to run my 27" Cinema Display from my MacBook Pro's dedicated or 'onboard' GPU? The fans are kicking full blast almost every minute I have it connected and I think that can't be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Chemmy posted:

Awesome, thanks. Just set my MacBook Air's HD to that icon.

How? I'm too lazy to look it up.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

How? I'm too lazy to look it up.
Get Info and drag the image over the icon in the top left of the Inspector box.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

You can also Get Info ( + i) on the icon. You'll see the icon in the window. Click it and it'll outline in blue. Hit Ctrl + C to copy. Get info on your current HDD, click its icon and Ctrl + V to paste the icon in.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

gregday posted:

For heat management, is is better to run my 27" Cinema Display from my MacBook Pro's dedicated or 'onboard' GPU? The fans are kicking full blast almost every minute I have it connected and I think that can't be good.

Correct terminology would be "integrated" (versus dedicated or "discrete"), both GPUs are "onboard" after all! :)

For heat, it would be better to run with the integrated GPU if suck a thing is possible on your model of MBP. I think this works on Nvidia GPUs only?
On the latest models, the discrete GPU is used whenever an external monitor is plugged in.

As for the "xMac" question above, I would like more disks and the ability to have my own full-size graphics card at a minimum.
X58 is hardly an expensive chipset so it could definitely stand to be cheaper than current Mac Pros.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Bob Morales posted:

So basically a cheap, expandable Mac wouldn't really be worth expanding? It just seems like an iMac or MBP with a stack of disks connected via TB are as good as anyone needs.

Unless you want to upgrade the graphics card(s).

Sure I guess technically its going to be possible with Thunderbolt, but you just know that externals are going to command a hefty price premium (assuring they ever take off at all)

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

~Coxy posted:

Ah, my first Mac... So long ago...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Thanks Sex Parrot!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

~Coxy posted:

http://www.zone6400.com/

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Just pulled the trigger on a new 11.6" MBA (4GB/128GB model) from Amazon. :toot: It'll be good to have a touchpad again, not to mention a portable computer. :v:

For using my iMac's DVD drive to install programs on the MBA, is it as simple as checking the 'DVD/CD Drive' checkbox under sharing preferences, then inserting a disc in the iMac and opening Finder on the MBA, or is there more to it?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Space Racist posted:

For using my iMac's DVD drive to install programs on the MBA, is it as simple as checking the 'DVD/CD Drive' checkbox under sharing preferences, then inserting a disc in the iMac and opening Finder on the MBA?
Yes.

But you really shouldn't have to do that. You did make backup images of all your installation media already, didn't you? That's the first thing I did with CS5 and Aperture.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Aug 23, 2011

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
I backed up to disc. :downs:

Also, perhaps this should go in the software thread, but - can you install Win7 via disc sharing, or does it have to be done with a USB image?

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
I may be buying the RAM from this thread (the 2x4GB sticks for desktops):

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3432221

He hasn't said anything about having those fins that my early 2008 Mac Pro RAM has. If it doesn't have the fins for heat dissipation, I should pass, correct? I don't want my computer bursting into flames... or whatever overheating computers do.

edit: just noticed he had pictures posted. Anyone know if this will be ok?:

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/360764/1/august11?h=69fce1#gallery:21

TheState fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 23, 2011

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I asked when it was new, but was wondering now that people have had time with them. How is the Mac Mini for gaming? I like games a bit, prefer using Macs, and want a semi-portable machine for cheap. I'm playing mostly older games, but would also like to play stuff around the Witcher 2 level. I'm looking at the Core i7 Mac Mini with the AMD graphics card for about $1200 with AppleCare (I live in Korea, prices are inflated), but would I be better getting a base mini for Mac stuff (about $950 with AppleCare) and a $400 PC for gaming? It's more money than the mini, but even at $400, I'm not sure how good it'll be. The processor in the mini will be faster (i7 versus Athlon II), but graphics I'm not sure about.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

NerdsMcGee posted:

Also (COMPLETELY out in left field), is there anyone that has a slot-load BluRay drive? Fastmac seems to only support the original MBP 17" Non-Unibody, but that's 600 bucks anyway.
I've looked into this a few times over the years. The main issue is that no one seems to make a 9.5mm slot load BD drive, I have seen some tray loaders though. Admittedly I haven't looked in a few months so there may be something out now for all I know. I gave up a while back and just got a desktop burner...I have a Mac mini so portability wasn't a big deal obviously.

Momonari kun posted:

I asked when it was new, but was wondering now that people have had time with them. How is the Mac Mini for gaming? I like games a bit, prefer using Macs, and want a semi-portable machine for cheap. I'm playing mostly older games, but would also like to play stuff around the Witcher 2 level. I'm looking at the Core i7 Mac Mini with the AMD graphics card for about $1200 with AppleCare (I live in Korea, prices are inflated), but would I be better getting a base mini for Mac stuff (about $950 with AppleCare) and a $400 PC for gaming? It's more money than the mini, but even at $400, I'm not sure how good it'll be. The processor in the mini will be faster (i7 versus Athlon II), but graphics I'm not sure about.
I'd assume the PC would be better...but honestly I have no clue what $400 gets you these days. Technically you could tack on a Thunderbolt box and GPU down the line for a few hundred and perhaps be better off (barring the inconvenience of dual booting if you go that route).

You might want to save a little and get the i5 Radeon model, cause the i7 doesn't seem to be a huge boost for most uses, and if you go the PC route it's more money to add to that budget at least.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

edit - beaten!

Momonari kun posted:

The processor in the mini will be faster (i7 versus Athlon II), but graphics I'm not sure about.

The graphics in the Mini will likely bottleneck the CPU, so whether it's the i5 or i7 you wouldn't see much difference graphically between the two I'd imagine.

What are the specs on the gaming PC though? For $400, it doesn't seem like it'd be that much greater GPU-wise.

Also, instead of either the upgraded Mini or Mini + gaming PC, what about buying a 2011 refurb iMac, such as one of these from the Korean Apple online store (if they offer refurbs?): 21" 2011 iMac

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
I do video editing on my Mac, so a faster processor will help me there, but it's not crucial. Whatever I get will be way faster than my current machine. I'm also wanting to have something semi-portable, and an iMac won't cut it. The only refurbs they have here are last year's models, and they start at $1500. I do video work, so an i7 seems like a good idea to me. The PC I'm looking at is an Athlon X4 with a 1GB AMD 5770 for about $500. Not sure how much faster that is than the mini, but if I get the mini and the PC, it'll be about $300 more expensive. Maybe it'll be better to get the mini and hope for a Thunderbolt card in the future.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Momonari kun posted:

I do video editing on my Mac, so a faster processor will help me there, but it's not crucial. Whatever I get will be way faster than my current machine. I'm also wanting to have something semi-portable, and an iMac won't cut it. The only refurbs they have here are last year's models, and they start at $1500. I do video work, so an i7 seems like a good idea to me. The PC I'm looking at is an Athlon X4 with a 1GB AMD 5770 for about $500. Not sure how much faster that is than the mini, but if I get the mini and the PC, it'll be about $300 more expensive. Maybe it'll be better to get the mini and hope for a Thunderbolt card in the future.

The 5770 will be significantly faster gaming-wise than the 6630M in the Mac Mini (as well as being able to support gaming at higher resolutions more-easily).

However, relative to your current iMac's specs (went and found your older post from when the Mac Mini's were refreshed), the i7 Mac Mini with the 6630M should be a fairly significant upgrade still.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I'm buying a base 13" MBAir tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice on transferring my copy of Office and iTunes + iPhone and iPad backups from my MacBook to the new computer?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

the truth posted:

I'm buying a base 13" MBAir tomorrow. Does anyone have any advice on transferring my copy of Office and iTunes + iPhone and iPad backups from my MacBook to the new computer?

Migration Assistant.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My brother's MacBook Pro is giving him a service battery warning. Here's the screenshot:

Anything to be worried about?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Looks like normal wear after 2 years

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

And 700+ cycles.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone get a 13" MBP Air and decide the fonts are too small or they really, really need a optical drive and ethernet port 24/7?

I'll over to straight trade for my 2011 13" MBP that is literally like new. I've upgraded it to 160GB SSD (Intel) and 8GB RAM. I'll even include the stock HD, Incase sleeve thingy, and original box etc.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
Just wanted to post a trip report. My wife took her 2006 Blackbook in for service due to a bulging, leaky battery. The laptop was waaaay out of warranty, but Apple still replaced the battery and the entire lower case/touchpad since it fell within the parameters for the cracking risk guards. All for the low, low price of $0 and no cents. She was pretty stoked. Great experience.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Lazyhound posted:

Migration Assistant.

And turn off File Vault *before* you migrate (if in fact, you have enabled it).

I didn't know this -- and neither did the people at the Apple Store... resulting in me spending 4 hours in an Apple store watching 2 failed migrations, only to give up, give them my old machine, go home, google the problem, find the solution. Oops.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I just bought my wife a Macbook Air (13") for her birthday, and I have an odd request for advice.

She's not really into computers, but like everyone else in the world, she needs one. She's still using the heaping pile of poo poo Averatec Windows XP laptop I bought her when we first started dating (8 years ago). She likes the Air a lot, but is very practical, and I can tell she doesn't like it simply because she's not a computer person, and if she needs to get any info on the internet, she does it on her phone (an iPhone 4).

What is some stuff I should put on there/show to her to make her realize how kick rear end this thing is? I already showed her how she basically never has to turn it off (as it gets out of sleep mode in half a second) and that she doesn't have to worry about viruses, the laptop overheating, and the battery dying after 45 minutes. She likes it, but I'm pretty worried she isn't going to want to use it. Other than installing Angry Birds on it, can anyone recommend some stuff to put on there to show her? Keep in mind I'm an Apple imbecile and don't know much about OSX. I just want her to enjoy it to its fullest extent, so stuff non-techies would like is a huge plus.

Thanks!

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Hamburglar posted:

I just bought my wife a Macbook Air (13") for her birthday, and I have an odd request for advice.

She's not really into computers, but like everyone else in the world, she needs one. She's still using the heaping pile of poo poo Averatec Windows XP laptop I bought her when we first started dating (8 years ago). She likes the Air a lot, but is very practical, and I can tell she doesn't like it simply because she's not a computer person, and if she needs to get any info on the internet, she does it on her phone (an iPhone 4).

Sounds like an iPad might have been a better choice, but what kinds of programs are you looking for, getting programs that just show how kick rear end the laptop is are probably completely dependent on each persons uses.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Hamburglar posted:

What is some stuff I should put on there/show to her to make her realize how kick rear end this thing is? I already showed her how she basically never has to turn it off (as it gets out of sleep mode in half a second) and that she doesn't have to worry about viruses, the laptop overheating, and the battery dying after 45 minutes. She likes it, but I'm pretty worried she isn't going to want to use it. Other than installing Angry Birds on it, can anyone recommend some stuff to put on there to show her? Keep in mind I'm an Apple imbecile and don't know much about OSX. I just want her to enjoy it to its fullest extent, so stuff non-techies would like is a huge plus.

Thanks!

Just curious, but why does she need the computer? She almost sounds like the kind of person that would prefer an iPad over a macbook. If it's that she needs the computer for work, they she probably associates "computer = work" "iPhone = not work". And if she doesn't like her job, that could be why she doesn't seem to like the computer much.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I figured the computer is for stuff like paying bills or doing checking account stuff, which can be pretty cumbersome on a cellphone or iPad. Also, browsing a bunch of sites at once. I know you can do it on an iPad and iPhone, it just seems much easier on an actual laptop. The keyboard is obviously to help with typing.

On her own she was messing with the photo booth thing, that I didn't even know existed, and was playing with it for quite a while and having fun. I guess I meant neat stuff like that, rather than what word processors to get for it. She does not use a computer at work.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Hey, about to buy a 11" air with the i7 upgrade and apple care.

can someone talk me out of upgrading from 128g to 256? If I don't plan on keeping my music/video collection on there and don't use a lot of programs...so, is there a reason to do so?...I also get a discount so the upgrade would only be about 250 dollars...:( i'm so tempted.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

rear end Catchcum posted:

can someone talk me out of upgrading from 128g to 256? If I don't plan on keeping my music/video collection on there and don't use a lot of programs...so, is there a reason to do so?...I also get a discount so the upgrade would only be about 250 dollars...:( i'm so tempted.

Do it. I don't think the aftermarket is going to get cheaper for them anytime soon, look how much OWC wants for a 240GB drive:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

It depends on how long you plan to use it for. I have a 64 GB hard drive on my Mac Pro that I use for apps and the OS and it's about half full. I also have three 1 TB drives for media, so...

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I was probably going to use it until the next major update came out and then sell it to upgrade.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have 30GB free on my 64GB drive. So far I have installed:

Xcode (with iOS stuff) - 10GB
Chrome
Firefox
TextWrangler
FileZilla
Mac Vim
MySQL Workbench
2GB worth of various books/publications
A couple other random small apps

I ran that program that removes other languages which supposedly saved a gig. I don't think GarageBand, iMovie and stuff came installed in the first place.

How big is an install of Microsoft Office? What about LibreOffice or Open Office?

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I will just get the upgraded hard drive because I don't want to feel any constraints and 250 when I'm already spending that amount of money isn't that much.

What HD is 'better' isn't apple shipping two different manufacurers right now and one is better than the other? Which one is better?

How long do I have to buy Apple care?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What HD is 'better' isn't apple shipping two different manufacurers right now and one is better than the other? Which one is better?
Toshiba and Samsung. In synthetic tests the Samsung is faster, but I dare you to tell the drives apart in a blind test of real world usage.

How long do I have to buy Apple care?
A year.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

edit: I am an idiot

the truth fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 24, 2011

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is there a problem with my touchpad or did Lion change the weighted scrolling? I used to be able to sail down the page easily, now it stops very quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

Hamburglar posted:

I figured the computer is for stuff like paying bills or doing checking account stuff, which can be pretty cumbersome on a cellphone or iPad. Also, browsing a bunch of sites at once. I know you can do it on an iPad and iPhone, it just seems much easier on an actual laptop. The keyboard is obviously to help with typing.

On her own she was messing with the photo booth thing, that I didn't even know existed, and was playing with it for quite a while and having fun. I guess I meant neat stuff like that, rather than what word processors to get for it. She does not use a computer at work.

Dude return it and get her a white iPad 2 with a pink cover and a BT apple keyboard and she'll prolly be all over your diz. the ipad has photobooth and a ton of bill apps from most major banks.

Now, real talk, when I get this new air what's the best way to calibrate/get the most out of my battery?