Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
The true iron cost would be to go stomp some creeper dungeons poo poo in and take their buckets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Sep 12, 2014

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.

Jesto posted:

2. Can you still not save text to books or bookshelves? If not, has Notch said why?
No, and we will never save text to books or bookshelves. I had a theory in the last thread that Notch loved Oblivion so loving much that he integrated the game's equivalent of the Inkwell, the Quill, and the Parchment into Minecraft in the form of The Paper, The Book, and The Bookshelf in which it gives you the illusion of immersive player interactivity but in reality he's just laughing at you and calling you retarded for daring to want to be able to take notes or write journals in Minecraft.

If I want to write lengthy missives to myself in the game, I just erect a huge smoothstone wall and spam the gently caress out of it with signs. It's kinda nice having a "Huge Stone Tablet" in lieu of common loving sense. :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kin posted:

Made more headway. Now i have a bed! (and a first attempt at a mine down the back end of my expanded hovel.

It's a lot of work though (a lot more than Terraria) so playing with other goons on a group task seems like it might be a lot more appealing to me.

It took me a long time to get used to it but my current world is my first large scale building projects. I've built a nice fort for my home base, a cathedral (okay, large church), underwater garden, lighthouse complete with spiral pattern, Mt. Doom, and a huge castle with high walls. And now that I've done all that the hard way I've enabled cheats so that I can build ludicrous structures without hunting for materials for hours or quarrying out massive quantities of stone.

Take your time with the base game to get a feeling for it and then once you're pleased with your accomplishments then it's time to break out those mods and just goof around with giant legos.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Jesto posted:

1. Can you still not hold a torch and have a light source follow you around? If not, has Notch said why?

For a while, Notch said it was impossible, but then he rebuild the lighting engine. Supposedly he was going to make lanterns carryable, but lanterns have been stuck in development hell for going on a year now, with no real indication that they are coming.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JerikTelorian posted:

For a while, Notch said it was impossible, but then he rebuild the lighting engine. Supposedly he was going to make lanterns carryable, but lanterns have been stuck in development hell for going on a year now, with no real indication that they are coming.

It was possible even when he claimed it wasn't, some guy built it into a mod a little while later.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Kin posted:

Cool, looking into installing the mods and whatever, then i'll jump on in.

edit: will jumping on a server with mods install those mods into my game or do i have to do it all manually?

All SMP mods (at least on our server) are server side only. You don't need to install anything, but we do suggest Rei's minimap, but that is completely optional. If you have further questions about the server, post in the server's thread, don't want to clutter the main minecraft thread. :)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jesto posted:

2. Can you still not save text to books or bookshelves? If not, has Notch said why?

There's a tool that lets you put an arbitrary image (so if you want, text) on a 'map' that can be viewed by anyone, regardless of mods or across an SMP server, if you want to do that for adventure map making or something. Notch alluded to true text in books a while back but nothing more.

whiteshark12
Oct 21, 2010

How that gun even works underwater I don't know, but I bet the answer is magic.

Jesto posted:

1. Can you still not hold a torch and have a light source follow you around? If not, has Notch said why?
nope

Jesto posted:

nope

Jesto posted:

And more importantly, are there mods that accomplish either of these things?
Dynamic Lighting

Book Mod

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Jesto posted:

As other have said, not yet implemented. However, I seem to recall Notch mentioning that the same code used to make the maps may one day be utilized to create some kind of note system. When and if that will happen is anyone's guess.

Dawts
Oct 3, 2009

JerikTelorian posted:

My minecraft timeline is a bit messed up, but has notch released any real legit content since the nether?

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Dawts posted:

My minecraft timeline is a bit messed up, but has notch released any real legit content since the nether?

Dogs, and pistons if you count adding a mod to the game.

Because this dead horse still needs beating

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 23, 2011

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
Repeaters, note blocks, dyes, shears, world gen seeds, unlimited world saves, cakes, maps, leaf decay, 2 new trees, different terrain generation with underground and mountain ponds, powered and detector rails, and cookies. I started playing after the nether update so I might be missing some. Multiplayer has all the same features as singleplayer, including the nether.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Jervas Dudley posted:

Repeaters, note blocks, dyes, shears, world gen seeds, unlimited world saves, cakes, maps, leaf decay, 2 new trees, different terrain generation with underground and mountain ponds, powered and detector rails, and cookies. I started playing after the nether update so I might be missing some. Multiplayer has all the same features as singleplayer, including the nether.

Lapis lazuli ore (blue dye), sandstone, and dispensers.

Edit: Bone meal (grows plants quickly), beds, tall grass and actual weather.

tinaun fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 23, 2011

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"

glitchwraith posted:

As other have said, not yet implemented. However, I seem to recall Notch mentioning that the same code used to make the maps may one day be utilized to create some kind of note system. When and if that will happen is anyone's guess.

He already has. Just write a note one kilometer wide on the ground and make a map of it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hobologist posted:

He already has. Just write a note one kilometer wide on the ground and make a map of it.

Actually, map data is stored separately from world chunks, and smart people have figured out that you can replace it entirely with an arbitrary image (albeit, with a really limited color palette.)

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Is the next update supposedly coming out this weekend? I remember hearing something about a release with PAX, but I'm not seeing any dates about the next update on Notch's Tumblr.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Master Twig posted:

Is the next update supposedly coming out this weekend? I remember hearing something about a release with PAX, but I'm not seeing any dates about the next update on Notch's Tumblr.

From what I know a demo is playable at PAX. The actual update will come a week or so afterwards.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Notch said that it would be playable at PAX, but that they would use the feedback from PAX to tweak it and do some final bug test fixes before officially releasing it "about a week" after the convention.

Considering that Seattle and Sweden are 12 hrs apart, a full day for travel back to Sweden the following monday, plus another 1-2 for jet lag only gives them 5 days for tweaks. Somewhere between Sept 5th-Sept 9th at the earliest seems plausible for a 1.8 release date.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It was possible even when he claimed it wasn't, some guy built it into a mod a little while later.

The mod was never released and I know that there has been talk that the little video he released was faked.

EDIT: Apparently, there was a version of it released. Never mind then

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
*finds diamonds next to a lava pool*

*digs around them, discovers vein is 7 diamonds deep*

*mistakenly digs a block away that was holding back lava, is consumed by firey death, screams muted quickly by lava pouring into his mouth*

Yeah, lost a diamond pick, 4 of the diamonds, and whatever else. Didn't bother going back, like Jack Handey says,

"If you ever drop your keys into lava, just let them go. Because man, they're gone"

:sigh:

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe
Welp, that's it, we can close the internet, I've officially seen everything:

Click for legible.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Loving Life Partner posted:

*finds diamonds next to a lava pool*

*digs around them, discovers vein is 7 diamonds deep*

*mistakenly digs a block away that was holding back lava, is consumed by firey death, screams muted quickly by lava pouring into his mouth*

Yeah, lost a diamond pick, 4 of the diamonds, and whatever else. Didn't bother going back, like Jack Handey says,

"If you ever drop your keys into lava, just let them go. Because man, they're gone"

:sigh:

Yeah, diamonds can be found in some dangerous places. Like on one server, one of the admins had put an ingenious trap in a vein, so when I mined a specific block, it would knock off a redstone torch on the opposite side, setting off a massive bank of tnt.

It was all above lava, too.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Boat posted:

Welp, that's it, we can close the internet, I've officially seen everything:

Click for legible.

Wow....just wow.

edit: yeah good point. i can't believe that 'community' has latched itself onto the minecraft community. I mean common phising in a minecraft community forum? What the hell?

edit: edit: although I do have to give them credit, it seems they actually used spell check. And the story is somewhat updated...

Arkitektbmw fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 24, 2011

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Arkitektbmw posted:

Wow....just wow.

Uh, you should probably add some content to that. But seriously, given the age/maturity range of the Minecraft forums crew, and the low cost of the game, why would anyone bother to target it for some kind of scam.

Then again, targeting angry impulsive teens who have clearly somehow bought a thing on the internet may be a good idea... :raise:

PunkAssBookJockey
Mar 25, 2007

Danyull posted:

Abortion is yummy still has it, and is presumably still alive.

I just sent it back!

Dawts
Oct 3, 2009
I'm not usually one to get a hardon for parody songs over a game.

But the animation of this one was pretty loving cool.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPJUBQd-PNM&feature=player_embedded

Song isn't my taste, but it wasn't a bad parody.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I kinda made something cool today for the first time ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXmpMIEC5Jw

I'm falling quickly in love with pistons, red dust, repeaters and switches.

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe
A friend and I made a small Obsidian generator. We tried to get it as automated as possible using pistons and I think it works great. I will have to make a bigger one now. It uses three RS nor latches one of which is a monostable circuit to get the lava piston to open, then at the right time close the lava, then push down the glow stone to stamp out the lava, then open the door a moment later. Here is a crude animated gif of it, I need a video capture program!

Fiblah
Jul 22, 2007
So I built a thing on my favorite creative server in the world. The innards aren't done yet, but I think the exterior is.

Seriously, if you enjoy just flying around and building stuff with bro's, join this server. It needs more people and everyone is there is really chill. Plus, Dwarfholm is totally bad rear end and worth checking out.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Necrosaro posted:

A friend and I made a small Obsidian generator. We tried to get it as automated as possible using pistons and I think it works great. I will have to make a bigger one now. It uses three RS nor latches one of which is a monostable circuit to get the lava piston to open, then at the right time close the lava, then push down the glow stone to stamp out the lava, then open the door a moment later. Here is a crude animated gif of it, I need a video capture program!

Sorry, what? Unless something huge has changed, only lava sources turn into obsidian. A generator like this shouldn't work with only lava runoff.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

Dawts posted:

Is it wrong that the fact that this uses Painterly makes me extremely happy? :shobon:

⇩ ⇩ Minecraft has the weirdest goddamn bugs I loving swear. ⇩ ⇩

Nuevo fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 25, 2011

Necrosaro
Dec 31, 2008

A Necrosaro Appears!
Fun Shoe

Vib Rib posted:

Sorry, what? Unless something huge has changed, only lava sources turn into obsidian. A generator like this shouldn't work with only lava runoff.

If you put redstone next to water and flow lava over it, the redstone turns into obsidian. It is a bug, so get your obsidian before it gets fixed!

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
A few of my friends have a small creative server where they build weird poo poo. Some of their stuff is impressive, while others are pretty WTF. Like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbGQthSwISQ Not work safe.

Edit: Skip to four minutes for it to get interesting.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Aug 25, 2011

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Boat posted:

Is it wrong that the fact that this uses Painterly makes me extremely happy? :shobon:

No, but it looks like the regular Minecraft texture pack. How can you tell it's Painterly?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm just loving the fireplace design in that music video. It's simple but stylin'.

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.

Dawts posted:

God drat those expressive minecraft dudes's faces are creepy as hell.

Note to self: if you're ever given the task to create a scary monster for a horror film just find something innocuous and add eyebrows.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

ItalicSquirrels posted:

No, but it looks like the regular Minecraft texture pack. How can you tell it's Painterly?

Maybe it's just the red-eyed creeper...

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Does the minecraft.net server go down often? I'm trying to start up the game and it says it cant connect, but i can load up the webpage fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Kin posted:

Does the minecraft.net server go down often? I'm trying to start up the game and it says it cant connect, but i can load up the webpage fine.

Yeah, it does that. Just keep trying.