Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Petey posted:

:stare:

I don't get it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
But wait

what happened

and how do I make it unhappen

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

FamDav posted:

I don't get it?

SafariOmnibar is a Safari extension (that a lot of people in this thread use!). Not a part of my username or machine name - at least it shouldn't be.

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

The bit after the : is your current directory; if you type cd and hit enter you'll change back to your home directory.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Petey posted:

SafariOmnibar is a Safari extension (that a lot of people in this thread use!). Not a part of my username or machine name - at least it shouldn't be.

It's not a part of your name. That's the directory you're in.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

So wait, why did it change my home directory to the Safari bundle? And how do I change it back?

e: ok, after restart it seems to be fixed (also, Safari Omnibar is no longer installed...perhaps the two are related?)

I know a lot of others use Omnibar, anyone else having this issue?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are

Petey posted:

So wait, why did it change my home directory to the Safari bundle? And how do I change it back?

e: ok, after restart it seems to be fixed (also, Safari Omnibar is no longer installed...perhaps the two are related?)

I know a lot of others use Omnibar, anyone else having this issue?

I've had it installed for about a week now and have used Terminal off and on since then and haven't noticed this.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Yeah mine only started happening today after I installed an OmniBar update.

One last question: how do I disable the goddamn page curl in iCal. I know I did it somehow with this thread's help before, but when I installed the iCal bleached skin it undid the page curl thing I had fixed before.

Googling gets me nowhere - but I know I did it before because my home machine works fine. But this page curl makes me want to end my life and there has to be a way around it.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
https://discussions.apple.com/message/15941261#15941261

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

Right, I know you can use the alt key, but I tend to use the mouse and there is a way to do one of the pref changes from the Terminal but I can't for the life of me find it again.

SonnyTheGreat
Jan 19, 2007
A couple of program questions if anyone has a chance.

Reeder users, is there a way to set the Readability feature to "be on by default" or "always on"? I can press the G button or do a pinch on the trackpad, but I'm lazy and want all stories to display in Readability mode.

For Outlook, Google Calendar and Facebook users, is there a calendar program out there that you use that syncs well? I've tried iCal but I have trouble getting my Facebook friends birthday list and some Google calendar subscriptions to sync. I'm looking for a calendar program similar to the default calendar app I have on my Droid, which syncs all three calendar's with no difficulty. Is there a similar program on the Mac? Or am I just missing some settings in my iCal app?

And on that subject, is there a guide (that someone could link me) or a program that will take my Facebook contact info and convert it into an Apple Address Book or Google contacts file? I'd like to have that information stored locally, and maybe be able to import it into Google+.

Thanks everyone.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

stray posted:

Does anyone know if there's a way to create a cron job that will let me download the .mobi version of my Instapaper articles on a daily/weekly basis?

a simple script using curl perhaps? I'd assume something like curl --user user:pass -O http://www.instapaper.com/mobi would suffice, but whenever I click the Kindle icon on the Instapaper page, nothing happens.

edit: It looks like cron is gone form 10.7? I think you can accomplish the same functionality through launchd, but I don't know much about that :shobon:

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Aug 23, 2011

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Hello Spaceman posted:

I just read this and did a little jig.

Apple does listen to us, after all.

Maybe a bit late, but I'll dance a jig if they'll bring the ability to cycle back to Desktop 1 from Desktop Last

Nall
Jun 26, 2000

Toe Rag posted:

edit: It looks like cron is gone form 10.7? I think you can accomplish the same functionality through launchd, but I don't know much about that :shobon:

I definitely still have cron on 10.7.

smug forum asshole
Jan 15, 2005
Chiming in to say cron works for me too, but I upgraded from 10.6.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Toe Rag posted:

On a clean install of 10.7, not an upgrade:

quote:

$ whereis cron
/usr/sbin/cron

Edit: Also without Xcode or any other sort of developer tools installed.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

angor posted:

This may be a long shot...

Does anyone know of any flight management software?

I book upwards of 30 flights a month (not for myself) and keeping track of travel dates, pricing, change rules, unused return tickets, etc is becoming a royal pain in my rear end.

TripIt is a SaaS app. Their TripIt For Business level might be what you need?
http://www.tripit.com/uhp/learnMore

Sorta related, there's also TripDeck for anyone on your staff that might need something for their iOS device that will sync with TripIt (not sure how well for the Business account, but worth checking into maybe).
http://www.mobiata.com/apps/tripdeck-iphone

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
Twice now my spaces have gotten moved around, usually when I'm dragging a window and something funky happens that I can't figure out how to reproduce. Right now, when I go into Mission Control, I have:

Dashboard - Desktop 1 - Desktop 3 - Desktop 2

Short of deleting Desktop 3 and recreating it, is there some way I can put it back on the far right where it belongs? I understand that this is supposed to be easier in 10.7.2, but I wish I could figure out what's going on in 10.7.1...

SupahCoolX
Jul 2, 2005

brc64 posted:

Twice now my spaces have gotten moved around, usually when I'm dragging a window and something funky happens that I can't figure out how to reproduce. Right now, when I go into Mission Control, I have:

Dashboard - Desktop 1 - Desktop 3 - Desktop 2

Short of deleting Desktop 3 and recreating it, is there some way I can put it back on the far right where it belongs? I understand that this is supposed to be easier in 10.7.2, but I wish I could figure out what's going on in 10.7.1...
Do you have "Automatically rearrange spaces based on most recent use" in the Mission Control System Prefs checked? Maybe it's related to that?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

It auto sorts the things you use most so you can easily 4 finger swipe between them, instead of having to skip by stuff.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Krakkles posted:

Are you locked into using a particular vendor?

I know there are fabulous corporate solutions that I would imagine are probably available publicly as well - maybe even consider using a travel agency.

Not locked down to any specific vendor.

I am using a travel agent right now (3 of them, actually), but it still seems to be tough to get a grip on everything that's going on.

strokevictim: I'm going to try out the TripIt for Business trial. Looks like that would help me quite a bit, cheers.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Not sure if this is software, hardware, or network related but figured I would start here.

I have a MBP that is running 10.7 and prints to a Canon MX870 printer over the network.

I sometimes dock my MBP using Hengedock in which it then becomes a wired connection to the network.

The rest of the time it is wireless.

Anytime I try to print something while my MBP is wireless, after being docked, I always get "A Communication Error Has Occurred".

I can then go into System Preferences, delete the printer, reinstall it, and it will print anytime I want, until I dock it again.

Is there something I'm missing or need to change to allow my computer to communicate with the printer while using a wired or wireless network connection as well as be able to bounce back and forth between the two with no problems?

Shin-chan
Aug 1, 2008

To be a man you must have honor...
...honor and a penis!

Alfalfa posted:

Not sure if this is software, hardware, or network related but figured I would start here.

I have a MBP that is running 10.7 and prints to a Canon MX870 printer over the network.

I sometimes dock my MBP using Hengedock in which it then becomes a wired connection to the network.

The rest of the time it is wireless.

Anytime I try to print something while my MBP is wireless, after being docked, I always get "A Communication Error Has Occurred".

I can then go into System Preferences, delete the printer, reinstall it, and it will print anytime I want, until I dock it again.

Is there something I'm missing or need to change to allow my computer to communicate with the printer while using a wired or wireless network connection as well as be able to bounce back and forth between the two with no problems?

When you add the printer are you adding it through Bonjour or are you adding it direct IP? The way I've always experienced it is that if you add a printer with Bonjour, it will look only to that connection (subnets and stuff). So if you added it when the computer is wireless, it won't find it wired and vise versa. Try adding it as an IP printer.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Asking this again:

quote:

What's the best way to upload photos to Facebook using iPhoto '11? I have a lot to do so I started going through and using iPhoto's Faces to tag people with their full name so it would then auto-tag them on Facebook. I've used the built-in 'Share to Facebook' method and it works great, but I'd like to upload and keep it so only I can see it at first. Is there a way to do that?

I see that it's really easy to do this right from Facebook now and I can keep it private at first. It even has a Faces like thing built-in, but I'd have to re-tag some people that I've already tagged in iPhoto. Does Facebook's facial recognition work pretty well? In the first album I tried, it thought a picture of Chairman Mao was one of my female Asian friends.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Is anyone else noticing the latest version of Chrome not interpreting mouseover states in Lion? I've tried to reproduce the problem in Snow Leopard but to no avail.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I can't say I'm seeing any issues in the latest beta branch. Any specific URLs you're having issues with?

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I can't say I'm seeing any issues in the latest beta branch. Any specific URLs you're having issues with?

No, I mean mouseover entire. Youtube videos, urls, vimeo, anything that involves the mouse being over something in Chrome. If it pops up again, I'll try and get a video capture of it.

dox
Mar 4, 2006

pipebomb posted:

So I've recently gotten both a new MBA and a Mini. Both have Lion pre-installed. I've used the RecoveryDisk Assistant thing to install Lion to the new drives I put in both of them - both times, I had to boot to ESD and download the whole freaking OS to install it to the new drives.

Am I stupid or is that process broken? Why can't I - or can I - have a local copy on the ESD?

I think the Lion DiskMaker is what you need?

quote:

Lion Disk Maker is a small application programmed with AppleScript that you can use with Mac OS X 10.6 or 10.7 to burn a DVD or build a bootable USB key from Mac OS X Lion’s Installation programm.
As soon as you launch the application, it checks the presence of Mac OS X Lion Install in the /Applications folder, or tries to find one using Spotlight. Then, it proposes to build a DVD or create a USB bootable install disk.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Is anyone else noticing the latest version of Chrome not interpreting mouseover states in Lion? I've tried to reproduce the problem in Snow Leopard but to no avail.

I would occasionally get this in Snow Leopard and Lion. Mousing over anything on the page would not trigger mouse-over effects or anything. Click on links and stuff would still work though.

Alt-tabbing away from Chrome and back normally fixed it. Your problem sounds like it's more persistent though?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Toe Rag posted:

Stop using cron! Bad boy, bad boy!

Lingon is the best way of learning how to use Launchd. Launchd is awesome and so much better than doing cron jobs.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

HYMEN.SYS posted:

No, I mean mouseover entire. Youtube videos, urls, vimeo, anything that involves the mouse being over something in Chrome. If it pops up again, I'll try and get a video capture of it.

Oh, well definitely not in my beta branch then. What release are you running?

BigBadBrewsta
Mar 11, 2002

"The State of Iowa: let us exceed your already low expectations."

-Raygun T-Shirt
Tried to Google this, but I'm just not doing a good job of phrasing my query, so here goes.

I have a new mid-2011 Mac mini setup with an OS X installation and a Boot Camp installation. I want to use this as my "master" Mac mini.

I want to take the way that Mac mini is set up and clone it onto 10-15 other mid-2011 Mac minis, with OS X installation and the Boot Camp installation all together.

I have a Thunderbolt cable and a Thunderbolt capable iMac at my disposal as well.

I booted the Mini into Target Disk Mode, and connected it to the iMac. I tried to create a disk image of the entire disk, partition structure and all using Disk Utility, but I get an invalid argument error.

I think this is because the file system is complex: disk3s1 is EFI, disk3s2 is Macintosh HD, disk3s3 is Recovery HD, and disk3s4 is Boot Camp/NTFS partition. Any ideas how I can get the exact contents of this entire DISK (not the individuals volumes but the whole disk) onto another disk?

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I have spent time Googling this and didn't find any great answers.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
In Terminal, OSX has decided my computer's name is mobile-19-168-xxx-xxx, rather than what I actually named it. This is ugly and unhelpful. How can I force it to actually use the name I want it to?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Doc Faustus posted:

In Terminal, OSX has decided my computer's name is mobile-19-168-xxx-xxx, rather than what I actually named it. This is ugly and unhelpful. How can I force it to actually use the name I want it to?

Out of curiosity, what does it say the computer's name is in the Sharing prefpane?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Krakkles posted:

So I use TimeMachine to backup my hard drive, but I'd also like to maintain a copy of all of my files on an external disk. Are there any worthwhile folder sync programs or recommended solutions?
Carbon Copy Cloner might work, depending on what exactly you want to do. It was just for drive cloning for years, but one of the recent updates added folder cloning.

Scienter posted:

I've got one of the new stock 13" Airs and yeah this has been my experience as well. Doesn't bug me too much because I don't spend much time on it but ironically the Mac App Store is easily the worst stock Mac App I've used so far (as a new Mac convert).
Yeah the Mac App Store just seems to suck sometimes. It's performance seems tied to the performance of the online store itself or something.

Barack Pwnbama posted:

I don't think I want to spend that much just so I can make some stupid videos. I'm thinking I'm going to have to use Windows here and see what apps are available there.
Have you tried QuickTime Player? I think one of the big updates for it in Lion is being able to snip together random crap. You'll probably need Perian and Flip4Mac to handle other formats, but once it can open random stuff, "Add Clip to End" might do what you need.

BigBadBrewsta posted:

Tried to Google this, but I'm just not doing a good job of phrasing my query, so here goes.

I have a new mid-2011 Mac mini setup with an OS X installation and a Boot Camp installation. I want to use this as my "master" Mac mini.

I want to take the way that Mac mini is set up and clone it onto 10-15 other mid-2011 Mac minis, with OS X installation and the Boot Camp installation all together.

I have a Thunderbolt cable and a Thunderbolt capable iMac at my disposal as well.

I booted the Mini into Target Disk Mode, and connected it to the iMac. I tried to create a disk image of the entire disk, partition structure and all using Disk Utility, but I get an invalid argument error.

I think this is because the file system is complex: disk3s1 is EFI, disk3s2 is Macintosh HD, disk3s3 is Recovery HD, and disk3s4 is Boot Camp/NTFS partition. Any ideas how I can get the exact contents of this entire DISK (not the individuals volumes but the whole disk) onto another disk?

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I have spent time Googling this and didn't find any great answers.
Maybe one of those Linux Live drive repair things could pull it off? That's all I can think of cause I imagine the built in utilities would choke on the different partitions like you've found out for yourself.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

BigBadBrewsta posted:

I have used DeployStudio to do this in the past. It won't do it per disk, but it will work for the Mac and Windows partitions. I am not sure about the EFI partition, but I have tested my imaging and restoration workflow with Lion and it works great.

NerdPolice
Jun 18, 2005

GINYU FORCE RULES
How does the Mac version of Chrome stand up? I currently use Firefox over Safari but was thinking about replacing it.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I used to have get mail check my gmail account and backup any new messages to an mbox every hour. After upgrading to lion i'm getting the following error: "No module named getmailcore". Am I going to have to switch from get mail to something else? Any suggestions as to what would be easiest to switch to?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

NerdPolice posted:

How does the Mac version of Chrome stand up? I currently use Firefox over Safari but was thinking about replacing it.

Works just as good as it does on every other platform. It's the only browser I use anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

NerdPolice posted:

Like Firefox, the UI feels somewhat out of place and not polished for OS X. Google is also dragging their feet on properly implementing Lion gestures and Lion's fullscreen mode.

Chrome's a great cross-platform browser, but IMO, it's not a great OS X app.