Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alizee
Mar 2, 2006

"Heaven"
Hey so I can skate pretty fast now and stop pretty well. I can't skate backwards or do crossovers or anything and because there's no adult stick & puck I haven't had any icetime with a puck. Do you think people would be pissed if I joined in on local arena pick up games? I want to wet my beak before the season starts with the school rec league.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Who cares what other people think. It's pick up. We've all been there before at some age. Go do it.

Edit: also, you'll probably make the day of whoever was the worst guy at pickup, which will later be repaid to you once you've gotten some pick up experience by the next guy who shows up in the same shape you were at your first pickup.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

sellouts posted:

Who cares what other people think. It's pick up. We've all been there before at some age. Go do it.

Edit: also, you'll probably make the day of whoever was the worst guy at pickup, which will later be repaid to you once you've gotten some pick up experience by the next guy who shows up in the same shape you were at your first pickup.

Just try not to be on the same team/line as that guy, the rest of the guys will thank you.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Alizee posted:

Hey so I can skate pretty fast now and stop pretty well. I can't skate backwards or do crossovers or anything and because there's no adult stick & puck I haven't had any icetime with a puck. Do you think people would be pissed if I joined in on local arena pick up games? I want to wet my beak before the season starts with the school rec league.

They might get annoyed - but it's pick-up so who cares? Just don't be the guy who thinks he's better than he really is. ;) Otherwise, most of my major technical milestones (stopping, stopping on both sides, backward crossovers, etc...) occurred in game situations when I wasn't consciously thinking about them. Practice only takes you so far.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
We played with 5 D and 6 forwards last night. All 5 of the D were over 40, all 6 of the forwards were under 30. I found this amusing.

Also I love it when new skaters show up to pickup, I usually make it a goal of mine to get an assist on a goal they score. If you've never tried this it is a serious challenge and it is great for developing your passing touch.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation

bewbies posted:

We played with 5 D and 6 forwards last night. All 5 of the D were over 40, all 6 of the forwards were under 30. I found this amusing.

Also I love it when new skaters show up to pickup, I usually make it a goal of mine to get an assist on a goal they score. If you've never tried this it is a serious challenge and it is great for developing your passing touch.

Word. So true.

When I played AA back in the day, there was a guy that was by far the weakest hockey player on the team, but he skated hard, one his battles, and made sure that me and the other skilled player on the line had the puck as much as possible, while making sure no one hosed with us. If it hadn't of been peewee/bantam and he wasn't tiny, he would've been an "enforcer" but he was also not a very big guy so that never would've worked out for him. After those ages, he found himself back in houseleague cause he couldn't keep up anymore and simply wasn't big enough to power.

Anyway, when we broke into the zone, he had one simple role: drive the net as hard as he could, either to open space for us, or to "tip" pucks into the net. I have no idea how many goals he got, but for a guy with no hands and no shot, he got a godly amount just by pushing through d-men with his stick on the ice while we fired bullets at his stick. Sure, half of them went in off his skates, his rear end, or even the d-men, but goddamn was it incredibly useful to the team to have him there. Hell, even if we didn't get a goal out of the initial play, we had a chance to score on the rebound or to set up a play while the other team was recovering from the clusterfucks he caused. He scored a goal while in mid air from the d-man tripping him, because he kept his stick on the ice all the while.

So something to remember when you're driving the net is to not even try to shoot, just touch the puck, and who knows what might happen.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
God dammit.

Last week they dropped a team down into our division and they kicked our rear end 15-2 and we were originally leading our division. They were disgustingly better than us. Playoffs start tomorrow night and who do we play?

loving adult safe hockey, man

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Thufir posted:

I just got an email about a pretty sweet deal from the Predators:

Get an hour of icetime at Bridgestone arena plus 40 tickets to a weekday preds game for $1000. I bet playing on the big-time ice would be fun.

Maybe it's because the ice at the Coliseum and the Icearium in Knoxville is mediocre, but Bridgestone's ice is like driving on the salt flats. So drat fast and nice. I would really recommend it if you can get other dudes to do it.

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!
When I first started playing ice I went to a bunch of drop ins to get the hang of playing on ice. One game there was a dude who was coming over from roller and was having a hard time stopping. He accidently ran into someone trying to stop and about a min later the dude he ran into drilled him into the boards and said "Dont ever loving run into me again" All the regulars put him in his place and made sure it didnt happen again.

Basically what I'm saying is that go play, there will be a few assholes but a bunch of the regulars will look out for the beginners.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I'm still a total noob but no one has ever said anything to me about how lovely I am. Most people just ignore me and avoid giving me the puck, which is usually alright with me. My vision on the ice is incredibly poor and I often find myself passing basically to the other team, even on the (extremely sloppy) breakout.

Actually last week one of the players on the club team was on a 2-on-1 with me that he easily could have scored on by himself, but instead he yelled at me to go to the net. I missed the pass and the puck went harmlessly into the corner, but it was still :3: for someone who almost never touches the puck in the offensive zone.

spotswood
Feb 25, 2006
gary

The Dirty Burger posted:

God dammit.

Last week they dropped a team down into our division and they kicked our rear end 15-2 and we were originally leading our division. They were disgustingly better than us. Playoffs start tomorrow night and who do we play?

loving adult safe hockey, man

Yeah, thats adult safe hockey for ya. Where abouts is your division? I'm in Ontario- Victoria Park "D" league

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
My third time on skates ever was a drop-in game. Nobody gave me poo poo and the play slowed down the second I touched the puck because "Hey, he's learning. Let him move it down the ice a bit."

If I ever saw anybody giving someone poo poo on the ice during drop-in I wouldn't put up with it. I don't know many players who would.

I also second the benefits of learning to skate by playing hockey. All of my "breakthroughs" happened in-game. I firmly believe that if you want to do backwards crossovers (the last thing I learned, the hardest) you have to learn to hockey stop. Once you can hockey stop you are in position to push off and do backwards crossovers - it's easy once you've discovered that sweet spot of balance. I learned the theory off-ice, but it all just magically happened mid-game as a matter of necessity.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
General opinion question:
A guy is skating out of his zone with the puck. Around the red line, someone from the other team steps into him with a cross check, kind of backetball-post-up-I-was-here-first style, and cleans the first dude out.
Was this a dick move by Guy2 or a normal hockey play?

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

nahanahs posted:

A guy is skating out of his zone with the puck. Around the red line, someone from the other team steps into him with a cross check, kind of backetball-post-up-I-was-here-first style, and cleans the first dude out.

If this is men's league/beer league then I call that a poo poo move. If it was a true cross check (stick across the chest) then it was especially lovely. Now because they have possession of the puck the NHL would allow you to stop that person, but in men's league you shouldn't be able to go through with full checking.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

nahanahs posted:

An actual cross-check is not permitted even in a checking situation and should be penalized. Cross-checking is when a player has both hands on the stick and uses the shaft of the stick to lead into the player he's checking.

In a checking league, as long as it is a legal body check it is perfectly normal to use the body to separate an opposing player from the puck. Whether it's excessive force or not is up to the ref's judgement - things like charging or boarding can be called in certain circumstances.

In a non-checking league, contact is allowed but the way I'm reading your post it is not incidental contact and is more like checking and thus would be a penalty for a body check. And yes, it's dirty because players in a non-checking league cannot reasonably be expected to anticipate and be able to properly "absorb" a body check. In many lower leagues, odds are that the player has never even been taught how to check at all.

You can always tell when adult players have never played in a checking league because they skate with their heads down a lot more. That'll get ya killed in checking hockey. ;)

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 23, 2011

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
As a follow-up and separate point to the last post, I am on my way to level 1 USA Hockey officiating certification. I passed the open-book portion of the examination a couple weeks ago and will be attending a seminar/clinic this upcoming weekend to complete the closed-book and on-ice portions of the exam.

That's Dr. Zebra to you thx.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
It's a roller hockey rec house league and Guy #1 was me. I don't really know if I had my head down, or I was just looking to my right, where I was going. Most of the impact came from my speed, but I find it hard to believe he didn't know I was coming, since he took my 200 pounds full speed and didn't go down.
I was just asking in general. I'm pretty sure he knew he screwed up, because he started dropping excuses immediately.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

nahanahs posted:

It's a roller hockey rec house league and Guy #1 was me. I don't really know if I had my head down, or I was just looking to my right, where I was going. Most of the impact came from my speed, but I find it hard to believe he didn't know I was coming, since he took my 200 pounds full speed and didn't go down.
I was just asking in general. I'm pretty sure he knew he screwed up, because he started dropping excuses immediately.

A cross check is a cross check is a cross check. That said, if it really was an accident and he apologized, i wouldn't take too serious of offense. Sometimes you gently caress up, but you're there to have fun. Don't let it ruin your day.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

Lawnie posted:

A cross check is a cross check is a cross check. That said, if it really was an accident and he apologized, i wouldn't take too serious of offense. Sometimes you gently caress up, but you're there to have fun. Don't let it ruin your day.

Actually, he flipped his lid, blamed me and then called me a loving piece of poo poo for diving. Later, he slashed me on the leg and hit the floor holding his ankle. After the game, he stuck his head in our locker room and accused us of bringing a ringer in to sub.

To reiterate, I really didn't and don't care. My only concern is playing goal tonight and taking a heater in that spot on my arm that's already deep purple.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
He's allowed to get in your way. If you have your head down and skate into him that is your fault. If he stepped into you and layed his shoulder or arms into you then that is a penalty.

Also, if he's a better / more experienced skater then you, wether or not he's ready for the contact theres a good chance that he'll still be standing, I get run into a lot (especially in roller hockey) accidental or not I rarely get knocked down.

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
If you weren't looking, how do you know it was a crosscheck, just wondering? If you ran into him and he shoved you down the onus is on you, even in a no-hit league you're allowed to do that to protect yourself

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Lawnie posted:

It's very hard to "accidentally" cross check somebody.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

coldwind posted:

It's very hard to "accidentally" cross check somebody.

If you have two hands on your stick and arent paying attention then all of a sudden someone is running into you, the first reaction is to put your hands up, which happen to be holding a hockey stick in a cross checking motion.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

D C posted:

If you have two hands on your stick and arent paying attention then all of a sudden someone is running into you, the first reaction is to put your hands up, which happen to be holding a hockey stick in a cross checking motion.
Which brings up a point I want to hammer home for all you people just beginning to play hockey. For the love of loving god keep two hands on the stick at all times.

If you keep both hands on the stick and when in the offensive zone, keep it on the ice, you will be much more useful than if you try to do anything with one hand. Sure the pro's can do poo poo, but it's goddamned infuriating to see a newbie player try to make a pass with one hand and barely get anything on it.

Only use it in certain situations, like a poke-check or breakaway, but until those arise keep both hands on the stick.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

As a follow-up and separate point to the last post, I am on my way to level 1 USA Hockey officiating certification. I passed the open-book portion of the examination a couple weeks ago and will be attending a seminar/clinic this upcoming weekend to complete the closed-book and on-ice portions of the exam.

That's Dr. Zebra to you thx.

Enjoy mite parents, they are worse than the worst beer league bench you've ever seen.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't really follow the Player thread so sorry if this was already mentioned, but I just took my skates to SportChek to get them sharpened and they said that sharpening is free in the month of August. I don't know if this is just MY local store doing it, or whether it's nationwide but I guess if you want to try and save five bucks then go get your skates done at SportChek before the end of the month.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Martytoof posted:

I don't really follow the Player thread so sorry if this was already mentioned, but I just took my skates to SportChek to get them sharpened and they said that sharpening is free in the month of August. I don't know if this is just MY local store doing it, or whether it's nationwide but I guess if you want to try and save five bucks then go get your skates done at SportChek before the end of the month.

You need to skate out like my goalie friend does. He's actually becoming a hell of a sniper. Although last night, he reverted back into goalie form and went down to block a shot with his hand when we were up 8-1 with 2 minutes left in the third. We gave him grief about that after the game. :lol:

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3

toxicsunset posted:

If you weren't looking, how do you know it was a crosscheck, just wondering? If you ran into him and he shoved you down the onus is on you, even in a no-hit league you're allowed to do that to protect yourself

I'm told he stepped into me. I was looking to my right, where I was headed, and got hit on my left.
I know it was a cross check because you can see the edge of the stick on my arm right now.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

trilljester posted:

You need to skate out like my goalie friend does. He's actually becoming a hell of a sniper. Although last night, he reverted back into goalie form and went down to block a shot with his hand when we were up 8-1 with 2 minutes left in the third. We gave him grief about that after the game. :lol:

The last time I tried to use real people skates it felt like I was wearing salad bowls on my feet. And I don't want to be that guy skating out in goalie skates :smith:

Awwww I used to be such a good skater too :(

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

sellouts posted:

Enjoy mite parents, they are worse than the worst beer league bench you've ever seen.

I've coached peewees before, and played through from mite to midget, so I know quite well. It'll be fun. :cool:

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I played as a goalie in regular player skates a few weeks ago for about ten minutes. It did not go well...

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

We drew the late game tonight. Didn't take the ice til 10:40, only had eight skaters, went to a shoot out (we lost in the 8th or 9th round, I lost track). The whole thing wasn't over til after midnight. Worst part was my helmet broke right before game time and I had to borrow one (and now I need to buy a new one). That should have been an early indicator that the night wasn't going to end well. With as short a bench as we had we kept shifting positions all night, so I spent the whole game not where I was supposed to be. It was like I'd never even played before. I hate nights like that.

dyn
Jan 9, 2005

Barn duelin' since '07

Martytoof posted:

It's province wide I believe. I got mine done here in Brampton for free, flatbottom too! I saved $7.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
106 last night, played roller outside, didn't drink enough water while playing and got a touch of heat exhaustion. Got sonic double cheeseburger on my way home. Cramped up, took two bites of burger, didn't have enough energy to shower so I just crawled into bed all smelly. Laid there for 2 hours unable to sleep, got up, showerd, took Ambien, got back in bed. Bed smelled because I got into it without showering, got back up, played some weird RPG on computer for 2 hours while spacing on Ambien (I'm 90% sure elf sex was involved, I don't really remember). Finally fell asleep on floor next to computer chair, woke up on top of uneaten double cheeseburger.

In conclusion I have the decision making and survival skills of a 5 year old. An immature 5 year old.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

106 last night, played roller outside, didn't drink enough water while playing and got a touch of heat exhaustion. Got sonic double cheeseburger on my way home. Cramped up, took two bites of burger, didn't have enough energy to shower so I just crawled into bed all smelly. Laid there for 2 hours unable to sleep, got up, showerd, took Ambien, got back in bed. Bed smelled because I got into it without showering, got back up, played some weird RPG on computer for 2 hours while spacing on Ambien (I'm 90% sure elf sex was involved, I don't really remember). Finally fell asleep on floor next to computer chair, woke up on top of uneaten double cheeseburger.

In conclusion I have the decision making and survival skills of a 5 year old. An immature 5 year old.

Also Sidney Crosby, post scramble

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

bewbies posted:

God that made me laugh.

While I used to be able to play roller hockey as a kid in similar weather (near 100F with 95% humidity) I can't imagine trying to do it now that I'm older and not so stupid.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black

bewbies posted:

I love playing outdoor except in the summer, after like half an hour I want to stop :(

Nothing can beat playing in 40 degree winter weather though, you never want to stop for fear of your body temp cooling down too much!

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Topoisomerase posted:

I've coached peewees before, and played through from mite to midget, so I know quite well. It'll be fun. :cool:

I actually would like to get into coaching, how did you do it? The leagues I played bantam and midget in are about 1200 miles away so I don't know anyone involved in youth hockey out here and their websites are less than helpful.

Also, Rob Blake is an assistant mite coach out here so I'm thinking they're probably full of volunteers.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Martytoof posted:

The last time I tried to use real people skates it felt like I was wearing salad bowls on my feet.

That's weird, because it's exactly how I felt when I played in net for a scrimmage a few months back. Skated across the ice to put my crap on the bench. When I tried to stop I fell flat on my face :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poser
Jun 9, 2002

Are they booing the power play?

I was saying Boo-urns!

sellouts posted:

I actually would like to get into coaching, how did you do it? The leagues I played bantam and midget in are about 1200 miles away so I don't know anyone involved in youth hockey out here and their websites are less than helpful.

Also, Rob Blake is an assistant mite coach out here so I'm thinking they're probably full of volunteers.

I coached house league last year. I just signed up to be an assistant coach and they paired me up with a coach and a team.