Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

kcroy posted:

I know its done quite often in books , but the whole "oh you just missed eachother!" thing gets on my nerves. I want to be like JUST loving YELL AT HER YOU STUPID gently caress. I'm sure there are reasons he can't or w/e.. I just want to yell at the GRRM I guess.

Can someone summarize who lady lenore / arthur dayne and those fuckers are? I know they are referred to a few times in the books, but I really can't place them in the war.. what they did, why we care, etc.

Lots of strong theories suggest that he is actually a Targaryen...

We don't really know who Lenore is at this point, though there are some theories floating around.

Arthur Dayne was one of Aerys's Kingsguard, and was generally regarded as one of the finest examples of knighthood, being brave, honourable and all that. He won great regard for defeating the Smiling Knight in single combat. He was guarding Lyanna Stark in the Tower of Joy along with Gerold Hightower and Oswell Whent, and was killed in the ensuing fight with Ned Stark, Howland Reed and their allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Brinks
Apr 24, 2005
Welly, well. To what do I owe the extreme pleasure of this surprising?

Arthur Dayne is the greatest swordsman to ever live la la la and only died because Howland shot him with a poisoned dart, otherwise Ned would have lost his head much earlier.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Mr.Brinks posted:

Arthur Dayne is the greatest swordsman to ever live la la la

*Darkstar clips you round the ear for 20 points of emodamage*

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I can't wait for WoW when each faction sends someone to enlist Darkstar to their cause. Gonna be another knot....

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

kcroy posted:

Lots of strong theories suggest that [Tyrion] is actually a Targaryen...

Lots of people who like the character want him to be a Targ so he can ride a wee dragon like he dreamed of as a child. Unfortunately for them he's not. John, Aegon and Dany are. Tyrion's entire character arc is predicated on Tywin being pops. His character sucks if "oh my gosh all these years Tywin wasn't my real dad and my life really is sunshine and puppies and dragon riding! Now let's go burn all the people who were mean to me and get my wife back!"

It doesn't matter anyway as the rest of the books follow the crime fighting adventures of Ser Pounce and Shaggydog.and are AWESOME

UR1S
Apr 19, 2011

by Ozmaugh
Also, to take the rule to its most extreme conclusion, since they never died in view of the reader, I'm on the fence if Pretty Pig and Crunch are really dead. I could go either way on them getting a happy ending.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

Thoguh posted:

Sansa doesn't warg, and we also never had a Robb POV to know if he warged into Grey Wind.

Obviously Sansa doesn't Warg. Lady was killed well before any of the children really began warging at all.

I think it's pretty clear that they all warg with varying levels of talent.

Bran - Realizes what's happening and can control warging
Jon - Realizes what happens, has unclear control, focused on humanly matters
Arya - Doesn't understand what's happening, exhibits very limited control
Rickon - Too young to understand or control Shaggydog, but heavily influences based on emotional states*
Robb - Unclear as to warging abilities/control, but assumedly has at least a major influence over Grey Wind via emotional state**
Sansa - Ned killed her wolf. Theoretically could still warg into other animals but the only animal she ever wanted to have inside her was The Hound.

* Based on the way Shaggydog acts towards others, especially when Rickon is afraid or angry. To be clear, Shaggydog is described as incredibly hard to control,, I imagine that's because he's being controlled or at least influenced heavily by the emotional state of a toddler.
** Based on similar evidence as Shaggydog. Also fights bravely to protect Robb. Originally I theorized that at the red wedding he may have accidentally warged into Grey Wind and would eventually be saved by Bran realizing what happens, and then teaching Robb to warg into Hodor. Theory was crushed when it was revealed that the Freys cut of Grey Wind's head and sewed it onto Robb's body. So in reality I was sort of right.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

JerkyBunion posted:

into Grey Wind and would eventually be saved by Bran realizing what happens, and then teaching Robb to warg into Hodor. Theory was crushed when it was revealed that the Freys cut of Grey Wind's head and sewed it onto Robb's body. So in reality I was sort of right.

Would love to see a Robb POV as he jumps into greywind, and then immediately gets killed. I'll bet GRRM could write that really well, imagine how frustrating that betrayal -> wonder -> loss-> death moment would be.

I'd also like to read a Being John Malkovich chapter of someone stuck behind the eyes of the warger.

edit:

Juaguocio posted:

We don't really know who Lenore is at this point, though there are some theories floating around.

Wasn't there some vibe that his sister was in love with Ned, so maybe didn't really throw herself off the tower or w/e? Is that where this theory that there is a son of Brandon Stark running around, and that Lenore is whatever that dame's name was. Daynes sister?

kcroy fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Aug 25, 2011

SmugDogMillionaire
Oct 27, 2009

by T. Fine

Mr.Brinks posted:

Arthur Dayne is the greatest swordsman to ever live la la la and only "died" because Howland stole his body through warging

fixed

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You know, I was glancing through the Dayne stuff and I didn't realise how hard they were emphasised as having Targaryan-like features. I'm now vaguely liking the admittedly out-there theory that Lenore is Ashara Dayne and Aegon is actually her supposedly stillborn child, being raised to believe he's a Targaryan. Lenore is following around her son in secret as his 'Septa'. Griff doesn't know it's a lie. That's why the Daynes are mentioned as looking Targ-like so much.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 25, 2011

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
The Ashara is Lenore theory is nice and could be correct but one would think Tyrion, smartest man in the land, would notice she had purple eyes or something else to identify her. He outed Aegon and J-Con pretty quickly.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

bigmcgaffney posted:

The Ashara is Lenore theory is nice and could be correct but one would think Tyrion, smartest man in the land, would notice she had purple eyes or something else to identify her. He outed Aegon and J-Con pretty quickly.

Do Targs have silver bush too?

Enquiring minds want to know!

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

kcroy posted:

Khal Drogo and Daario could tell you, but one of them's dead and the other probably will be soon.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

kcroy posted:

I sure hope GRRM writes it in. Maybe something like "The dew from her slit pooled in her thick puffy silver bush - the bush of a true Targaryen."

Maybe she'll have to shave her bush to appease some slaveowners or something.

dirkadirk2011
Aug 15, 2011
Is this book really as bad as the Amazon reviews are making it out to be? Pretty much all of them completely trash it, saying it just spins its wheels and goes entirely loving nowhere the entire time.

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

dirkadirk2011 posted:

Is this book really as bad as the Amazon reviews are making it out to be? Pretty much all of them completely trash it, saying it just spins its wheels and goes entirely loving nowhere the entire time.

Why don't you read it and come to your own conclusion?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!

Mad Hamish posted:

So, um, do we have any idea of what's happening with Rickon? I don't particularly care, but it's been like three books and there's been no mention at all.

I mean, what is he doing? Running around with Shaggydog trying to find Nymeria?

Manderly sent Davos to find Rickon in order to have a stark heir to prove Bolton's Arya is fake. A mute ironman hid in a tree and followed Rickon and that wildling chick. Apparently he is at some really bad place. Something to do with cannibalism if i recall correctly?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

niethan posted:

Manderly sent Davos to find Rickon in order to have a stark heir to prove Bolton's Arya is fake. A mute ironman hid in a tree and followed Rickon and that wildling chick. Apparently he is at some really bad place. Something to do with cannibalism if i recall correctly?

Skagos

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

niethan posted:

So Rickon is with Manderley's party?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Charlie Mopps posted:

So Rickon is with Manderley's party?

No, he probably hasn't been found yet. Presumably we'll pick up Davos going to find him in Winds of Winter.

And it's not to prove Arya's a fake so much as to have a (thanks to Shaggywolf, undisputable) Stark lord that overrides the girls' claim. Manderly was assuming Arya was or might be real at the time, I think. Although Rickon would certainly be able to verify she's not.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 25, 2011

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

kcroy posted:

Lots of strong theories suggest that he is actually a Targaryen...

There are lots of theories, but I wouldn't call any of them particularly strong.

JerkyBunion
Jun 22, 2002

dirkadirk2011 posted:

It's not as bad as the reviews make it and they are entirely correct.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009

niethan posted:

So the mute ironman hid in a tree and watched Bran/Meera/Jojen and Rickon/Asha split ways... I wonder why Manderly sent Daavos after Rickon instead of Bran.

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop

bouncyman posted:

So the mute ironman hid in a tree and watched Bran/Meera/Jojen and Rickon/Asha split ways... I wonder why Manderly sent Daavos after Rickon instead of Bran.

Because he followed Rickon and not Bran. Nobody but Sam knows where Bran is right now, and then only that he's somewhere beyond the Wall.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

dirkadirk2011 posted:

if you read AFFC when it came out - yes.

If you just got into this series, and/or like the mythos behind the series - it's not as good as the first few books, but it sets a lot of pieces into play, so it's very CoK-ish.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

computer parts posted:

if you read AFFC when it came out - yes.

If you just got into this series, and/or like the mythos behind the series - it's not as good as the first few books, but it sets a lot of pieces into play, so it's very CoK-ish.

Imagine CoK except that instead of the bad rear end Battle of the Blackwater chapters, you get a note from one of the participants saying he won and that the other side was annihilated. That being said, I loved DwD.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Just finished the book. Was boring as gently caress but at least I can now give a comprehensive tour of the wonderful lands across the narrow sea.

FINISH THE SERIES YOUR LIFE GEORGE.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Bank of Bravos dude is actually Syrio.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

niethan posted:

Bank of Bravos dude is actually Syrio.

Syrio is actually three different people with both shape-shifting and teleportational abilities.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

UR1S posted:

Also, to take the rule to its most extreme conclusion, since they never died in view of the reader, I'm on the fence if Pretty Pig and Crunch are really dead. I could go either way on them getting a happy ending.

There are two characters who must survive the remaining books in order for me to not hate this series:

- Strong Belwas
- Pretty Pig

For above: ADWD is only terrible if you waited five years and this was the payoff. As an entry in this particular series it's not one of the better books (I'd rank it as the worst so far, personally). As an entry in the genre and a piece of entertaining reading in general, it's not bad at all.

Ross fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Aug 25, 2011

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Ross posted:

There are two characters who must survive the remaining books in order for me to not hate this series:

- Hot Pie
- Patchface

I knoooooooow! Oh ho ho!

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

xamphear posted:

I knoooooooow! Oh ho ho!

I think Hot Pie already died :(

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

dirkadirk2011 posted:

Read it. Amazon reviews are worth little and less.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Ross posted:

I think Hot Pie already died :(

YOU SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE RIGHT NOW

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Habibi posted:

There are lots of theories, but I wouldn't call any of them particularly strong.

you nose its true... you just don't want to face it.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!
I swear that could have come straight out of the "Let's Draw Retarded Dragons" thread of yore.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

furushotakeru posted:

I swear that could have come straight out of the "Let's Draw Retarded Dragons" thread of yore.

that thread is awesomesauce

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Ross posted:

- Ser Pounce
- Shaggydog

Buddy cop adventures. A rough dire wolf from cannibal island teams up with a pampered puss from kings landing to solve the mystery of the secret targ. Along the way they learn a little bit about friendship and a lot about themselves.

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

kcroy posted:

that thread is awesomesauce

I will admit that I was very happy to have an excuse to go look it up as it had been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

kcroy posted:

Too much nose.