Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Divvy! That's the one, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm running my MBP in clamshell mode with an external (main) monitor, and after playing any fullscreen game, I lose all hot corners. I can only get them back by activating the MBP's internal monitor for a moment by lifting the lid then closing it again. With both monitors on, they both have working hot corners. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Edit: Apparently I can also fix it by killing Dock.app and forcing it to restart. But how about having hot corners work all the time. That'd be swell.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Aug 25, 2011

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

fleshweasel posted:

I have to migrate back to Snow Leopard because I need to run Pro Tools and I'm already missing the new stuff-- the improved window grouping in Mission Control, the new Mail.. I hope Digidesign takes less than an entire freakin year to update for Lion compatibility.

If you are on ProTools 9, the latest 9.0.5 update that dropped last week adds Lion compatibility in a 'beta' form. I have done some light testing, but everything seems to work so far. However, if you are using an Mbox, you may want to wait because those drivers are really in beta, and caused GarageBand to fail during launch.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
It seems to me that SMB connections are really really slow to establish on 10.7. Is there some way to speed that up a bit?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Crowley posted:

It seems to me that SMB connections are really really slow to establish on 10.7. Is there some way to speed that up a bit?
I use the FQDN, i.e. smb://server.name.com/share/

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Anyone having an issues with Twitter for Mac in Lion? I'm running the latest version but every so often it'll throw "connection lost" and "not found" errors at me when posting status updates. The updates always go through, but the errors are a little annoying. It also keeps asking me if I want to discard status updates I haven't send yet when I exit it.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Is there any way I can embed an image/pdf/whatever as an icon in Excel for Mac 2011?
I know you can do it in Windows with Insert --> Object, but I can't for the life of me figure this out.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Anal Volcano posted:

:raise: Three-finger gestures work just fine here. You don't have anything weird in the background that would affect it, like MagicPrefs or BetterTouchTool?

Score. It works now. I had some stuff in BTT that was interfering.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
I'm looking for a way to do one-way syncs from Address Book to Google Contacts maybe once a week or so (my address book doesn't change that often). What's my best option?

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

Ziir posted:

I'm looking for a way to do one-way syncs from Address Book to Google Contacts maybe once a week or so (my address book doesn't change that often). What's my best option?

Does it need to be one way? You can set up sync with Google pretty easily, but it's an actual sync, not a one way overwrite.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mayodreams posted:

If you are on ProTools 9, the latest 9.0.5 update that dropped last week adds Lion compatibility in a 'beta' form. I have done some light testing, but everything seems to work so far. However, if you are using an Mbox, you may want to wait because those drivers are really in beta, and caused GarageBand to fail during launch.

Just noticed that. Maybe I'll get the scratch for a version 9 upgrade and an (ugh) iLok.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
Just installed Parallels and Win7 yesterday. Bootcamp works fine, and Parallels in general works fine, with one major exception. The parallels icon in the task bar doesn't do a drat thing. It responds to no clicks of any kind. Has anyone else encountered this? Am I missing something obvious?

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

CaptainCaveman posted:

Does it need to be one way? You can set up sync with Google pretty easily, but it's an actual sync, not a one way overwrite.

Yes, because I have photos set to all of my normally contacted people and unless Google changed something, syncing contacts with photos to Google resizes and basically destroys all semblances of image quality.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

quote:

Rudix: The hassle-free way to get Unix programs on Mac OS X

http://code.google.com/p/rudix/downloads/list

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Okay, here's a bit of an oddball problem I'm coming to suspect almost no one else has encountered (based on googling) - on my 2010 iMac, I have FunctionFlip installed to switch my dashboard key to a launchpad key. Works great, unintrusive, etc. Then, today, I open up my new 2011 Macbook Air, and use migration assistant to pull my user settings over, thinking this would be a seamless transition. Well, it was, except for the FunctionFlip part.

FunctionFlip has now completely broken my launchpad key. It does nothing. Resetting defaults does nothing. I've tried erasing, reinstalling, and re-erasing FunctionFlip to no avail, the key remains useless. Holding Fn+F4 still works, but the default mapping for the key has been completely superseded.

Is there any way to remap this key, short of wiping the slate and starting over (and likely manually migrating my settings)? In theory I could just reinstall FunctionFlip, but this is one of those little things that will drive me crazy if I don't figure out how to fix it.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I ran into that problem when trying to remap that key in System Preferences. My LaunchPad key ended up doing nothing. Luckily I found a fix through Google:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/15705207#15705207

edit: What I'm trying to say is that I'm better at :google: than you.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Aug 26, 2011

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Huh, apparently it has nothing to do with FunctionFlip and everything to do with user migration. Worked like a charm, thanks!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

edit: What I'm trying to say is that I'm better at :google: than you.

To be honest, while posting I found myself thinking "I wonder if SWSP will have a snarky solution to this" :v:

gregday
May 23, 2003

Is there still no way to get iTunes Home Sharing functionality from a Linux server? I am aware of Firefly daapd and forked-daapd, but that's not the same thing. I want to be able to pull movies from my Linux server to my AppleTV.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Back to My Mac is fun.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Back to My Mac is fun.
It's like an 80's music video.

I once RDP'd into a Windows machine while TeamViewer'd into it at the same time. It was like I was admin'ing in stereo

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
code:
MBP-C2D:~ user$ ls -al /Volumes/
total 16
drwxrwxrwt@  7 root    admin       238 27 Aug 01:10 .
drwxr-xr-x@ 41 root    admin      1462 16 Aug 14:02 ..
drwxr-xr-x   1 user    macports  12288 26 Aug 02:12 BOOTCAMP
lrwxr-xr-x   1 root    admin         1 26 Aug 02:56 Macintosh HD -> /
drwxrwxrwx   0 root    wheel         0 27 Aug 10:33 MobileBackups
drwx------  13 user    macports    748 25 Aug 23:22 user
lrwxr-xr-x   1 user    admin        15 26 Aug 23:09 iDisk -> /Volumes/user

quote:

drwxr-xr-x 1 user macports 12288 26 Aug 02:12 BOOTCAMP
drwx------ 13 user macports 748 25 Aug 23:22 user

What the...

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I upgraded my Macbook with a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD. In system profiler it says "TRIM support: No"

What gives? I thought Lion was supposed to have good SSD support?

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

DoktorLoken posted:

I upgraded my Macbook with a 128GB Crucial M4 SSD. In system profiler it says "TRIM support: No"

It only supports TRIM for first-party Apple SSDs. But don't worry, there are ways to enable TRIM on third-party drives.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

Karsh posted:

It only supports TRIM for first-party Apple SSDs. But don't worry, there are ways to enable TRIM on third-party drives.

Good thing I checked this thread. I just ordered an SSD for my MBP.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Anyone know a quick fix to connection timeout issues when connecting to a new network?? I'm trying to get on a us robotics router at my aunts and I'd really like to watch the UFC prelims at 6.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Karsh posted:

Thanks, that worked.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.

Ziir posted:

Yes, because I have photos set to all of my normally contacted people and unless Google changed something, syncing contacts with photos to Google resizes and basically destroys all semblances of image quality.

Yeah it's a pain managing two address books, but you really need to decide mac vs google and just keep one updated. If you go google just use exchange (m.google.com) to get contacts on your iPhone. If you go address book.app then just manually add the email addresses you need to google and forget the rest.

I guess one way to do it would be to manually export an address book archive every week or so and import it into google. Not sure how well that works (i.e. which fields get messed up, and whether it merges contacts/ ignores duplicates).

edit: playing around a bit - you could open address book, select all, then export vcards and then import those in gmail. Then you merge duplicates. I don't know how elegant it would be but it's an option, especially if your contacts don't change often. Also, as soon as iCloud is open it will have a nice interface for your address book contacts online - so you'll be able to access them anywhere. Then you really just need gmail to have email addresses. And if you let gmail save all emailed contacts you will have those after sending any single email.

ndrake fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 28, 2011

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
I'll try this again:

I'm running parallels 6, currently in coherence mode. HOW DO I QUIT THiS THING? It puts the paralles "||" icon in the menu bar, but it's not interactable. How can I quit Parallels other than killing the process?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

DoktorLoken posted:

This was just a myth perpetuated through repetition when Lion was in beta.
TRIM support was unchanged since 10.6.7 or whatever point release it was added for Apple SSDs.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Space Racist posted:

Huh, apparently it has nothing to do with FunctionFlip and everything to do with user migration. Worked like a charm, thanks!

To be honest, while posting I found myself thinking "I wonder if SWSP will have a snarky solution to this" :v:

Do you still need to use function flip to remap your dashboard key to launchpad? Maybe in .1 or .2 they'll put this option in the system preferences :(.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Doc Faustus posted:

I'll try this again:

I'm running parallels 6, currently in coherence mode. HOW DO I QUIT THiS THING? It puts the paralles "||" icon in the menu bar, but it's not interactable. How can I quit Parallels other than killing the process?

Take it out of cohenrence mode - at that point, you should get a menu bar back? At least, I think that's how I did it for my wife. She somehow accidentally turned it on, but found it annoying that way.

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I'm new to Mac so this may be a dumb question. Are there any programs similar to SharePod for OSX that are free? I would really like to be able to copy my music off my iPhone, but everything I find seems to cost money. I'm not against paying for a program that I use, just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something obvious.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

strokevictim posted:

Take it out of cohenrence mode - at that point, you should get a menu bar back? At least, I think that's how I did it for my wife. She somehow accidentally turned it on, but found it annoying that way.

Two finger click on the icon.

do it
Jan 3, 2006

don't tell me words don't matter!
Has anyone else had an issue with Lion's Mail.app and GMail where pressing the delete button on a message in Mail only applies the label "Deleted Messages" to the message in GMail? If I login to gmail.com and view the message that I intended on archiving, it's still sitting in the Gmail Inbox with the "Deleted Messages" label. In other words, hitting delete in Mail no longer archives Gmail messages for me.

205b
Mar 25, 2007

Notetaking question - I'm trying to start taking in-class notes on a laptop rather than on paper, but I need a way to draw graphs, equations, and stuff inline with regular text. Is there an app that would let me do that? Something like Microsoft OneNote.

noydb
Mar 23, 2007

ninepints posted:

Notetaking question - I'm trying to start taking in-class notes on a laptop rather than on paper, but I need a way to draw graphs, equations, and stuff inline with regular text. Is there an app that would let me do that? Something like Microsoft OneNote.

There's nothing quite like OneNote for OSX, but some people like using OmniOutliner or Circusponies Notebook as a comparable replacement.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Martytoof posted:

Can anyone remember the name of that little paid app that sat in your menubar and let you tidily resize windows using a little grid? It was great for resizing apps to use exactly 50% of the screen, then you could rearrange your other smaller apps to use the remainder logically, etc.

I am drawing a blank.

I don't think your question was answered, but it's BetterSnapTool.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

flyboi posted:

I don't think your question was answered, but it's BetterSnapTool.
It was answered as Divvy, but both are similar.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
I've usually used firefox, but I updated to Lion and am willing to give Safari (or Chrome) a try. But...do either have something similar to ad block, or no script? Or do people find those superfluous? And I'm really used to command+k to go to the search bar, is it possible to change shortcuts in safari?

Basically, sell me on Safari or Chrome over Firefox :shobon:

Any other applications that people feel are essential? Are things like Onyx worth it?

thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008

Levitate posted:

I've usually used firefox, but I updated to Lion and am willing to give Safari (or Chrome) a try. But...do either have something similar to ad block, or no script? Or do people find those superfluous? And I'm really used to command+k to go to the search bar, is it possible to change shortcuts in safari?

Basically, sell me on Safari or Chrome over Firefox :shobon:

Any other applications that people feel are essential? Are things like Onyx worth it?

thanks
First result on Google for "adblock for safari" is...

http://safariadblock.com/

Click2Flash is useful too, but I'm sure you can find it. I like Safari because it's integrated with OS X a little more than Chrome (especially in Lion), but the two are both WebKit browsers and thus, very similar.

As to applications being essential or not, what is essential for a graphic designer isn't essential for your average user. In that sense, I'm not sure what you're asking about. If this is your first Apple computer, I'd recommend using your computer with what's installed and find a different application when you come across an unfulfilled need.