Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
No, it is not gross, in fact, it's funny, yeah, think of it that way.
Lots and lots of unmarked spoilers here for anime only fans and it's too late and cumbersome to change that. This thread is almost 9 years old now. What a ride. What a train wreck.
I love it all, even the not so great earlier artwork. I'm perfectly fine with it, although it turns people off, Siu really showed character emotions with tiny quirks and had great planning and panelizing the series. The tiny details storywise really add up, like Khun's pully from the floor of test and Suspendium being an element brought up, and the tiny details in the artwork, like Androssi's tiny single horn and how her hair parts with it, so subtle like a roman nose.

Where to read
Webtoon

Series overview
MC-Baam
Left the hole in the ground he called home in chase of the only contact of life he ever encountered, Rachel (was Lahel). He's quite determined to find her.

They had 9 years and the anime forgot the drat banana. Now it's just Khun's infinite choclate bar dispenser gag... still funny.

EmmyOk posted:

RACHEL YOUY loving BITCH

The Holy Queef fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003
Go to original scanslators, The Company, thcmpny.com

The Holy Queef fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Mar 28, 2016

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
The art is so hilariously inconsistent in this, it always makes me laugh. He's pretty good at covering up his problems and shortcuts, though.

Also, those demonstration pictures are JPEG'd to hell and back. Not really the best advertisement for the series, you can hardly make out anything.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Er, isn't Baam's name 25th Baam, not 35th?

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Reading this on any of the generic sites does a world of crap to the quality of the image. OP, you should definitely put this site into your post. It keeps the chapters in their long page format and all of the art is in full quality.

The Holy Queef
Jul 13, 2003

HenryEx posted:

The art is so hilariously inconsistent in this, it always makes me laugh. He's pretty good at covering up his problems and shortcuts, though.

Also, those demonstration pictures are JPEG'd to hell and back. Not really the best advertisement for the series, you can hardly make out anything.

True that. His art IS inconsistent, but I was still fascinated nevertheless.
Not the best pics, but I thought it'd get the job done. I'll redo them when I get the time with higher quality.

Reiche posted:

Reading this on any of the generic sites does a world of crap to the quality of the image. OP, you should definitely put this site into your post. It keeps the chapters in their long page format and all of the art is in full quality.

Done, right at the top

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Glad there is finally a Tower of God thread, it deserves it.
even if the OP's images are kind of poo poo quality

This is the only ongoing weekly "manga" I read. It's pretty much Hunter X Hunter, when hxh was good, in full color.

http://www.batoto.com/read/_/21834/tower-of-god_ch59_by_the-company

Actually, the latest chapter is a great example of the art. I think the author has gotten a lot better at faces especially. Compare chapter 59 with the first few chapters, even though it's a chapter with no text context, there aren't any stupid looking faces in it at all.

And yeah, I recommend reading at Batoto. Not only is it in long form and perfect image quality, it's where the translation group posts their work, so it comes out there the fastest.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Aug 19, 2011

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Holy wow. For very little dialogue, that was a great chapter.

notafbiagent
Aug 20, 2004
Hello average citizen. Are you commiting any crimes? Please talk slowly and directly into my pocket.
Manwha gets so little love here, I'm surprised people actually pay attention to this series.

Although I have to say, I hate the way this scanlation group does the translations. Too bad there just arent any groups doing manwha to have better translations for us to have a choice in the matter.

The story itself is inconsistent in certain aspects. I mean in the beginning they're killing each other with little or no remorse in a battle royale, the tests have life/death consequences and all of a sudden they just suddenly become Griffindore vs Slitherin. Baam is painted early on as a kid who knows next to nothing about the world and is desperate to reconnect with Lahel but when he finally meets he doesn't say two words to the girl even though he knows she's lying to hide her identiy from him. A lot of the characters all share the common personalities depending on the different types of tests. At one they're all ruthless killers. At another they're all idiots. At another they're all sentimental shonen level school kids living a high school life. What the hell.

Other than that the story seems to be good, even though it seems the author still hasn't really nailed down what type of story he wants to write, and it is fast paced enough to keep me interested. Frankly I'd think it'd be a lot better if they spent less time explaining how awesome Koon's tactics are and a little more time developing the action scenes.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Been reading this series since chapter 1 came out, glad someone finally made a thread for it.

Man Dancer
Apr 22, 2008
Really, really enjoying this. As others have said, it really does scratch that early/mid HxH itch that I've been missing.

Spoilered for those not caught up:I love that Baam finds Lahel so quickly and it ends up being kinda awkward and weird for them. I do hope she develops a bit more beyond "Crippled Flower in Wheelchair" during the next test.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
What I like about this series the most is that they make it clear from practically the very beginning that Baam is one crazy motherfucker. Considering the object of his monomania it's relatively benign, but sometimes he still gets kind of creepy. :stare:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I really don't think he's human.

Although, now that I think about it, no one seems to make distinctions like that in the tower. There just are people who are lizards and gators and squirrels, or have tiny useless bat wings, or whatever the hell else, and it ain't no thing. No one bats an eye.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Baam was trapped in a cave. That was all he ever knew. Now, odds are he didn't spontaneously come into existence out of thin air, so presumably someone put him there for some reason. He is definitely a monster of some sort, though I doubt it will involve transforming or anything.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Baam was trapped in a cave. That was all he ever knew. Now, odds are he didn't spontaneously come into existence out of thin air, so presumably someone put him there for some reason. He is definitely a monster of some sort, though I doubt it will involve transforming or anything.

Also, someone must have been feeding him before Lahel came along.

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Slime posted:

Not necessarily. I'm under the impression that his life has been entirely sustained on Shinsoo, which could explain a number of things.

That said, Chapter 60 is out on naver.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Slime posted:

Not neccesarily. Remember what that one guy said about the energy in the tower? It's possible his body survived just off of that.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
Baam is secretly King Jahad or his son, which explains why princesses can't resist his charms. :v:

jhennauchan
Apr 21, 2010
Just marathoned through the first 25 chapters (everything through the game of crown) and I just felt the need to say:
WHAAAAAAAAT! AFTER 11 CHAPTERS OF THAT GAME HE GIVES IT ALL UP FOR THAT BITCH AAAGGGHHHH. I mean a sense of honor is one thing, but WOW this guy is out of control.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
That arc as a whole made me come dangerously close to giving up on this manwha.

Someone said that the author's still trying to figure out what kind of story he's writing, and all i hope is that he'll never write another crown game arc again.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Y'all are weird. The crown game ruled.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

The Holy Queef posted:

dang-

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The crown game in itself wasn't very good, but it developed Baam's character pretty well. That is, it made it very clear that the boy is loving nuts.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm curious how he knows what he was named when Lahel was his first interaction with another person. There is so much unexplained in this story, they're only just about to leave level 2 of 137 or whatever of the regular levels and doesn't Lahel's dream actually require them climbing the rest of the levels that rankers can't climb/aren't allowed to climb?

I'd just like a chapter devoted to actually explaining what the gently caress is going on in the world the series is set in.

XultheDestroyer
May 22, 2004
So where exactly DID Baam and Lahel come from? Underneath the tower? Why was she out turning over random boulders when she first found them? Considering she seems to have met people other than Baam in her pre-Tower life, why didn't she ever introduce him to them?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

We're curious precisely because the comic's being so elliptical with the "big picture."

I definitely think we've got all the information we need to enjoy it. The world demands constant competition, sortition and ranking. It can give you what you want, but only if you're good enough (and, secretly, if you don't want things that threaten the status quo). Into this comes a monomaniacal kid of uncertain origins who makes friends readily. That's it, you're ready to read on.

I'm not sure how things beyond the scope of the story could matter to it. You might as well ask whether Sando in Shin Angyo Onshi was human: the ambiguity serves an artistic purpose.

E: although I definitely do think that what led to Baam living in a cave might be important later.

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Aug 21, 2011

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

XultheDestroyer posted:

So where exactly DID Baam and Lahel come from? Underneath the tower? Why was she out turning over random boulders when she first found them? Considering she seems to have met people other than Baam in her pre-Tower life, why didn't she ever introduce him to them?
He was imprisoned in the cave when he was very young, and Lahel was thrown in some time later. Lahel was old enough at the time that it seems like she should know something about why she was there, but it looks like she never told Baam anything about it.

It may or may not be important depending on whether they're from the outer tower or some completely different world.

EDIT: Also we know they were eating something because Lahel's stomach rumbles in that one part.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Aug 21, 2011

Panzerschwein
May 8, 2009

sboobs
I kinda liked this story at first when it was a esoteric series of tests that person must pass, but I don't care for the ninja school stuff.

25th Baam implies that he's one in a series. Possibly a clone, or maybe experiment #25, or prisoner #25.

And the tower doesn't have windows? Why does Lahel have to climb to the top to see the stars? Can one leave the tower and live on other lands? Has anyone tried scaling the tower from the outside?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
25th is his date of birth.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

People do come into the tower from somewhere "outside" of it, and they can go back there too (remember that Ho was attacked by a ranker as a child). We know you can't see the stars "outside".

We have no idea what kind of shape the tower has, what kind of space it occupies, from the perspective of being in these "outside" lands. I think it isn't necessarily a "tower" as we'd imagine it: it might not have an outside wall to climb.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

I'm pretty sure that the regulars we see in the tower are from the "outer tower" which is striated and part of the tower itself. The testing and all that is done in the "middle tower" and is also the only way to go about between different floors of the tower. At least that's what I got from slamming this whole thing in one day like a case of High Life.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nah, the testing is done in the Inner Tower. The Middle Tower is used for travelling between the floors and the Outer Floor is where people live.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

So then the middle tower is where the first princess Bamm met is right now, as she tries to get to Evankhell's Hell, the inner tower is where Baam and co. are, and the outer tower is where people who haven't yet been chosen by the tower are?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

People who haven't been chosen are not in the tower. They're just some other place where stars are just legends.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Tower of God 60 is out.

Not much to say beyond the explanation of the test, but the bull creature is pretty awesome looking.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Reiche posted:

Tower of God 60 is out.

Not much to say beyond the explanation of the test, but the bull creature is pretty awesome looking.

I thought it was just going to be a ranker, dressed up or something. But, poo poo, that's pretty creepy looking.

wireframeskull
Dec 3, 2006

So glad someone made a thread for this. I'm hooked on this story like no other. Despite its several flaws, the art, characters and plotline are just so damned magnetic.

Can't wait to see how they make it through this next challenge.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I'm not sure, I kind of agree that I loved the original premise but the whole school thing has been boring me. Why set it up that the whole purpose of the tower is how tall it is and that you have to climb it only to then stick them on floor two for ages? And to reintroduce the object of Baam's climb so early strikes me as odd. I much preferred the chase motive to the I'm going to be your legs motive. Also, as demonstrated by the awesome design of the bull I love the sheer variety of characters we were shown at the beginning while now nobody gets culled and hardly anyone new is introduced.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
I forget; did Baam ever get Black March back? She was cool the one time we saw her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Nope, Anak still has it.