Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I forgive WoK being super heavy on exposition just because it's the first book of a huge planned series, and if you've read his other books (especially Mistborn) you know that Sanderson plans his poo poo. To a ridiculously detailed degree.

I am very confident that it will pay off in the end, unlike ASOIAF which Gurm clearly does not plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Sanderson's set up a new forum. I can't believe I was able to register as Kaladin!

http://www.17thshard.com/forum/

Waiting another year for The High Prince of War is gonna suck. :(

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Charlz Guybon posted:

Sanderson's set up a new forum. I can't believe I was able to register as Kaladin!

Yeah, that must be brand new. I got in as Vin.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!

IRQ posted:

I am very confident that it will pay off in the end, unlike ASOIAF which Gurm clearly does not plan.

Not to derail too much, but I think GRRM definitely has an overall plan, but he doesn't plan all of the subplots and such beforehand, which is why the series has expanded so much past its originally-planned three-book structure.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
To contribute a bit to the derail... Gurm may have reinforced that trend, but he didn't start it! ;)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There are two basic kinds of writers, outliners and discovery writers. Everyone exists somewhere on that continuum, and it's really hard to do the opposite. Sanderson is a heavy outliner, GRRM is a discovery writer. He knows the ending of the story and major plot points so he knows where to go, but he doesn't have an outline or any notes.

I'm an outliner so I'm constantly amazed how well ASOIAF is tied together with zero notes and outline. I can't imagine being able to do that.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Kreeblah posted:

Yeah, that must be brand new. I got in as Vin.

Managed to snag Kelsier. :smug:

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
It's kind of odd, but I actually am finding Sarene to be the least annoying "perky princess" out of all of Sanderson's books so far. Considering how much is writing has improved since Elantris, it's kind of odd how much better Sarene is than Shallan, who sucked.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
I got Hoid.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

omnibobb posted:

I got Hoid.

You lucky bastard :argh:

patricius
Apr 17, 2006

sicut patribus sit deus nobis
Finished WoK today after a marathon afternoon session. What a great climax. I'm glad we got some resolution to certain plot threads while leaving enough hanging to set up the story for the next leg of the series, and dealing with GRRM has made a year wait seem not that bad by comparison, especially since we know Sanderson is good for his deadlines. The appearance of the Herald at the end was a surprise, and I kept expecting Dalinar to get GRRMed right until the very end, and while that's still a possibility (especially with how the last Szeth chapter ends) I'm kind of glad it wasn't resolved in this book.

The one really weird thing for me was the revelation (if you could call it that) of Shallan's shardblade. The reference is kind of snuck in at one point and I don't remember it coming up again, unless I missed something... I was reading pretty fast by the end. The confession of her father's murder was kind of the same thing--it was admittedly telegraphed before, but I thought it would be a bigger deal. Something for later volumes of the series, I guess.

I'll probably go back to Malazan now but those books are just so different in tone that I think I need to give myself a little time first...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

patricius posted:

I'll probably go back to Malazan now but those books are just so different in tone that I think I need to give myself a little time first...

Journey before destination.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

patricius posted:

Finished WoK today after a marathon afternoon session. What a great climax. I'm glad we got some resolution to certain plot threads while leaving enough hanging to set up the story for the next leg of the series, and dealing with GRRM has made a year wait seem not that bad by comparison, especially since we know Sanderson is good for his deadlines. The appearance of the Herald at the end was a surprise, and I kept expecting Dalinar to get GRRMed right until the very end, and while that's still a possibility (especially with how the last Szeth chapter ends) I'm kind of glad it wasn't resolved in this book.

Brandon has said that Dalinar will probably be the main character of book 2 and that if so it will be titled The High Prince of War

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

omnibobb posted:

I got Hoid.

Szeth here, pretty surprised really

Jellibean
Nov 10, 2004
All strawberry jellibean

Charlz Guybon posted:

Brandon has said that Dalinar will probably be the main character of book 2 and that if so it will be titled The High Prince of War

Hopefully it will flesh out the stuff about his wife and his memory loss, and also explain about the weird wish magic.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

quiggy posted:

I just finished the Mistborn trilogy last night and need to talk about the ending. drat that was a good series.

I gotta say, Sazed being the Hero of Ages was definitely not what I expected, but it was awesome and I loved every single piece of the last book. The moment when I realized who the Mistfallen were was also incredible. I just wish there would be more books about these characters, I love 'em all so much.

One thing I don't completely understand: when Alendi began his trek to the Well of Ascension, why were the mists beginning to gather already? Did Preservation see that Ruin's power was returning and create the mists to aid Alendi in his quest, or was it something else? It just seems weird to me that the Deepness, the thing everyone thought was going to destroy the world, was actually sent by Preservation.

Now that that's done I need to track down a copy of The Alloy of Law. Pity they didn't have it at my local bookstore :sigh:

The mist didn't just start gathering then, they were an occurance since Ruin's prison was built. Ruin manipulated texts to make it seem as if the deaths from snapping were more severe than they were and at the same time using what power he could use on the world itself to increase the crop failure to create an impending doom that wasn't really happening.

Maytag
Nov 4, 2006

it's enough that it all be filled with that majestic sadness that is the pleasure of tragedy.
I snagged Ruim.

Just kidding I managed to get Maytag.

Ruin is still available as is Ruim. Although I think going with a name from one of his series is pretty dumb. Also the admin for the forums seems like a huge spazz.

Ahaha people wearing loving mistcloaks.

Maytag fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 30, 2011

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Maytag posted:

I snagged Ruim.

Just kidding I managed to get Maytag.

Ruin is still available as is Ruim. Although I think going with a name from one of his series is pretty dumb. Also the admin for the forums seems like a huge spazz.

Ahaha people wearing loving mistcloaks.

i don't really care about the name, but i just know that there's someone out there fuming that he can't be szeth anymore.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Oh snap, from Facebook:

quote:

Dang. I just pulled off something in #AMoL that is GRRM-esque. I'm not certain if I should apologize, feel awesome, or go take a shower.

Calling it now: It may have taken him eight or nine books to get there, but he finally raped someone with a sword while their entire family watched, and then launched Jesus into the sun on a rocket made out of the blood of virgins. And also killed everyone in the entire series that we loved.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Someone came into a bag of lemons, then made a cake with them.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
The only rapist we know of is Daved Hanlon who in all improbability is still alive, so

dmccaff
Nov 8, 2010
He's doing a reddit IAmA on the fantasy subreddit today for anyone interested at 2:00 to 6:00EST (40 mins from the time of this post). Link

dmccaff fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 31, 2011

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

neongrey posted:

Someone came into a bag of lemons, then made a cake with them.

Well I can't wait to read that!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Obviously it's going to be "The more she tugged, the more she shat."

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro
I just finished up the Mistborn trilogy. From the first book, I kept hearing Kelsier as Sterling Archer, Sazed as Woodhouse, and Breeze as Ray Gillette.

I'm curious if there was any significance to the body of the red haired boy that appeared after Vin and Ruin died. I can't remember if that body fit any descriptions of anyone else that had come before.

Has Brandon Sanderson commented on the unused metals at all?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

TenaciousJ posted:

I just finished up the Mistborn trilogy. From the first book, I kept hearing Kelsier as Sterling Archer, Sazed as Woodhouse, and Breeze as Ray Gillette.

I'm curious if there was any significance to the body of the red haired boy that appeared after Vin and Ruin died. I can't remember if that body fit any descriptions of anyone else that had come before.

Has Brandon Sanderson commented on the unused metals at all?

That was Ati, the holder of the Ruin shard. Leras, the original holder of Preservation, died earlier in the book and none of the characters saw it. Vin and Ati's corpses show up because they died and in so doing released their holds on the shards.

Sanderson has given a full list of the 16 metals and he is putting them to use in Alloy of Law.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

arioch posted:

Sanderson has given a full list of the 16 metals and he is putting them to use in Alloy of Law.

And then there's the intended use for Larasium, which he STILL hasn't told us anything about :doom:

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

arioch posted:

That was Ati, the holder of the Ruin shard. Leras, the original holder of Preservation, died earlier in the book and none of the characters saw it. Vin and Ati's corpses show up because they died and in so doing released their holds on the shards.

Did I gloss over something? The names Ati and Leras aren't bringing anything to mind.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TenaciousJ posted:

Did I gloss over something? The names Ati and Leras aren't bringing anything to mind.

I don't think the names were in the book. Atium and lerasium come from them though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

404GoonNotFound posted:

And then there's the intended use for Larasium, which he STILL hasn't told us anything about :doom:

Er, isn't Lerasium the metal that makes normal people a full mistborn? You mean that wasn't the intended use?

I mean I guess he didn't tell us what happens if you tried to burn it as an Allomancer, or used it in Feruchemy, there's that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 1, 2011

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Well, just finished Elantris, and really enjoyed it. I blazed through the second half of the book when everything kind of came together.

I'll reiterate, though...Sarene was by far the best female character Sanderson has written. I find it interesting that as his writing style has improved, his ability to write compelling females has gone through the floor.

Overall, I have to say that my favorite Sanderson novels are his standalones, in a way because they just feel tighter and better built. The Mistborn novels were decent, but actually probably my least favorite books out of everything he's written so far, and Way of Kings isn't really easy to judge because so much is left unfinished, waiting for the next ones. Warbreaker was great, and I loved Elantris as well.

Overall there were a few too many deus ex machina kind of moments, and some of the stuff felt a little tacked on, but overall I'm still impressed with how early he sets up things that come into play at the end and such, and how well he layers in characters and such. I really liked Hrathen, and even though Sarene and Raoden had a bit of a Mary Sue thing going on (both super talented, super brilliant, attractive, etc) I liked them both, and their romance was great.

I think the only thing about the book that I don't really buy is the fall of Elantris in the first place, and why it happened. I mean, if the Elantrians learned how to tap into the Dor in the first place by modelling it after the lay of the land/the city/etc, why didn't it occur to a SINGLE one of them that "hey, that new giant rift in the ground might effects our Aons!" I don't know...Seemed a bit odd, like Elantris was a city full of superpowerful morons.

Also, why the hell does everyone love Hoid so much? I kept waiting for him to do something awesome, based on posts in this thread, but el zilcho.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't think the names were in the book. Atium and lerasium come from them though.

They are, it might just be in the chapter post scripts though.

Yeroc2
Aug 13, 2003

"The glow is the combination of all your past lives, focusing their energy through your body."
Grimey Drawer

A Nice Boy posted:

I think the only thing about the book that I don't really buy is the fall of Elantris in the first place, and why it happened. I mean, if the Elantrians learned how to tap into the Dor in the first place by modelling it after the lay of the land/the city/etc, why didn't it occur to a SINGLE one of them that "hey, that new giant rift in the ground might effects our Aons!" I don't know...Seemed a bit odd, like Elantris was a city full of superpowerful morons.

Also, why the hell does everyone love Hoid so much? I kept waiting for him to do something awesome, based on posts in this thread, but el zilcho.

Somewhere (either in the book or on his website somewhere) its mentioned that the city was already there when people came to that part of the continent. And that people didn't start turning into Elantrans until after they found the city.

Those who probably could figure out how to fix the problem probably never had a chance. If I recall right, once the earthquake hit and the Elantrans lost their power, it didn't take long for things to go bad.

And I think Hoid was originally just a cute thing that kept popping up, and it just caught on like a meme. He's supposed to be getting a bigger role in the Stormlight Archive though, so maybe he can be awesome there.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Yeroc2 posted:

Somewhere (either in the book or on his website somewhere) its mentioned that the city was already there when people came to that part of the continent. And that people didn't start turning into Elantrans until after they found the city.

Those who probably could figure out how to fix the problem probably never had a chance. If I recall right, once the earthquake hit and the Elantrans lost their power, it didn't take long for things to go bad.

And I think Hoid was originally just a cute thing that kept popping up, and it just caught on like a meme. He's supposed to be getting a bigger role in the Stormlight Archive though, so maybe he can be awesome there.

Having just finished the book, I read that part recently. They basically say that it did hit the Elantrians pretty fast, but nowhere does he indicate that it was some instantaneous death knell for them or something. What I mean is, it's obvious they had scholars and historians are intelligent people in Elantris, so it seems stupid that even if they DID come on the city late, none of them living there for thousands of years would even ONCE stumble on the same information that Raoden figured out in six weeks.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

A Nice Boy posted:

Having just finished the book, I read that part recently. They basically say that it did hit the Elantrians pretty fast, but nowhere does he indicate that it was some instantaneous death knell for them or something. What I mean is, it's obvious they had scholars and historians are intelligent people in Elantris, so it seems stupid that even if they DID come on the city late, none of them living there for thousands of years would even ONCE stumble on the same information that Raoden figured out in six weeks.

That chasm was probably weeks of travel away from Elantris. Maybe they just didn't find out about until it was too late?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I think I remembered reading something that the smartest of them went mad pretty fast.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Also, now that I've read all his books, what's this I've heard about his stories being connected? I haven't seen anything that really led me to believe the stories are intertwined somehow, and all the places are very different with crazy different magic systems. Somewhere I can read up on this?

NM, just read some on my own. Huh, Hoid is supposed to be Wit, eh? Interesting.

A Nice Boy fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 1, 2011

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's all different planets in the same universe. The magic on each world results from something called a shard. There are 16 of them, which were created when the setting's god was killed. There's also a character named Hoid who appears to be traveling between the worlds and doing stuff for some purpose, he shows up in each book somewhere.

I don't have a link handy but that's the gist.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

A Nice Boy posted:

Also, now that I've read all his books, what's this I've heard about his stories being connected? I haven't seen anything that really led me to believe the stories are intertwined somehow, and all the places are very different with crazy different magic systems. Somewhere I can read up on this?

17th shard wiki. Start with the entry for "cosmere" and click down from there. Essentially the Universe was watched over by a Mega-God named Adonalsium. Something happened (don't know what yet) and he was split in 16 shards. These shards were taken up by 16 men who could use their powers to create worlds and magic systems.

Mistborn had 2 shards, Preservation and Ruin, that needed to be used together in order to create the world of Scadrial.

Elantris has at least two, possibly three. (Aon-Dor and whatever the Derethi were using, I forget what it was called.)

Way of Kings is beleived to have three. There's the god Jezer-something who created Shardplates, Shardblades, Surgebinding, Soulcasting, etc. Odium is the bad god who is using the voidbringers. Supposedly the Nightmother and "Old Magic" is also a shard, but who knows.

Warbreaker has at least 1 shard that allows for the "awakening" of things through Breath and such.

All of these are tied together through a plane of existence called the Shadesmar. Shallan and Jasnah visit this place at the end of Way of Kings.

Hoid is special because he shows up in all the books, usually for a scene or two. His mythology is further hinted at in Way of Kings where he is revealed to be a Worldsinger. Not much is known about them, but they can travel between the worlds (books) through the Shadesmar.

Brandon has talked about another idea for a book that would have a world were one of the Shards can manipulate sound. Beyond that he hasn't said much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Cartoon Man posted:

17th shard wiki. Start with the entry for "cosmere" and click down from there. Essentially the Universe was watched over by a Mega-God named Adonalsium. Something happened (don't know what yet) and he was split in 16 shards. These shards were taken up by 16 men who could use their powers to create worlds and magic systems.

Mistborn had 2 shards, Preservation and Ruin, that needed to be used together in order to create the world of Scadrial.

Elantris has at least two, possibly three. (Aon-Dor and whatever the Derethi were using, I forget what it was called.)

Way of Kings is beleived to have three. There's the god Jezer-something who created Shardplates, Shardblades, Surgebinding, Soulcasting, etc. Odium is the bad god who is using the voidbringers. Supposedly the Nightmother and "Old Magic" is also a shard, but who knows.

Warbreaker has at least 1 shard that allows for the "awakening" of things through Breath and such.

All of these are tied together through a plane of existence called the Shadesmar. Shallan and Jasnah visit this place at the end of Way of Kings.

Hoid is special because he shows up in all the books, usually for a scene or two. His mythology is further hinted at in Way of Kings where he is revealed to be a Worldsinger. Not much is known about them, but they can travel between the worlds (books) through the Shadesmar.

Brandon has talked about another idea for a book that would have a world were one of the Shards can manipulate sound. Beyond that he hasn't said much.

That's insane. If he ever manages to write all of the books for all of these series, and then some sort of link for inbetween ... it'll take him a very long time.