Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Dmitri-9 posted:

Thats part of the problem. Jack has been nothing but critical of Annie and Annie is emotionally distant and suspicious of him. Now Jack is like Walter Raleigh's more chivalrous cousin and Annie is flirting with him because he is the last unpaired male of the species in the room. That is like bad fanfic writing e.g. Matt crashing into Chang'e making her drop all of her cliches on the floor.

Jack flirted with Annie even while he was possessed by the spider-thing during the date-gone-wrong, and made a pass at her right before summer vacation. Annie is now much more receptive to him to show that she's loosened up after spending a summer with Coyote & Co.

It's not bad fanfic writing; you just need to be a little bit better at reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
Yeah, I don't know what Gunnerkrigg you've been reading, but calling it bad fanfic writing is ridiculously unfair. Matt bumped into Chang'e for the same reason John and Margo just happened to find the haunted mandolin: Because Gunnerkrigg is a place where weird poo poo happens all the time.

Would you call Annie and Kat just happening to find the Minotaur himself bad fanfiction or are you just annoyed because this chapter has more interpersonal development than action?

EDIT: Oh no, the site :ohdear:

dumb brunette fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Aug 26, 2011

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Kat almost looked disappointed. Probably just because she's not so great at helping people out. Probably. She kinda made the situation more awkward.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Is the site down for anyone else? I've been trying to get to it for an hour with no luck.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Roflex posted:

Is the site down for anyone else? I've been trying to get to it for an hour with no luck.
Down for me and everyone else according to downforeveryoneorjustme.com.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Kat's Fonzie pose is awesome.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Check it now, just popped back up for me with the new strip.

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

dumb brunette posted:

Yeah, I don't know what Gunnerkrigg you've been reading, but calling it bad fanfic writing is ridiculously unfair. Matt bumped into Chang'e for the same reason John and Margo just happened to find the haunted mandolin: Because Gunnerkrigg is a place where weird poo poo happens all the time.

Would you call Annie and Kat just happening to find the Minotaur himself bad fanfiction or are you just annoyed because this chapter has more interpersonal development than action?

EDIT: Oh no, the site :ohdear:

Crashing into each other and falling in love is a lame plot device used by animes and sitcoms. I don't mind him meeting Chang'e thats what gunnerkrigg is about.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Dmitri-9 posted:

Crashing into each other and falling in love is a lame plot device used by animes and sitcoms. I don't mind him meeting Chang'e thats what gunnerkrigg is about.

You've never developed a crush on someone? They aren't in love, Matt is just infatuated with this girl he met.

Magnus Condomus
Apr 23, 2010

Dmitri-9 posted:

It's also a lame plot device used by life.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Oh, hey, there was an update!

...Annie, you minx. Where'd you get off to?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

You've never developed a crush on someone? They aren't in love, Matt is just infatuated with this girl he met.

Haha yeah that is definitely middle school romance logic. "She bumped into me and I did something for her and she stole my coat. Maybe she liiiiiiiiiikes me."

And Paz's reaction too: "Oh no the boy I like is expressing interest in another girl, everything is ruined my life is a sham :qq:"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DocFrance posted:

And Paz's reaction too: "Oh no the boy I like is expressing interest in another girl, everything is ruined my life is a sham :qq:"

"Also there's this other girl who doesn't wear skirts who said I was pretty oh CRIPES how do I deal with this"

Meanwhile Donlan's all trying to figure out how to connect an oscillating framistat with a turboencabulator interlock

my kind o people that Donlan

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Phy posted:

"Also there's this other girl who doesn't wear skirts who said I was pretty oh CRIPES how do I deal with this"

Meanwhile Donlan's all trying to figure out how to connect an oscillating framistat with a turboencabulator interlock

my kind o people that Donlan

"Let's date, but no one can ever know because...um...a reason. Even though two of our friends are openly dating, and no one cares."

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Sneaksie Taffer posted:

"Let's date, but no one can ever know because...um...a reason. Even though two of our friends are openly dating, and no one cares."

Because when they started dating two years ago, they publicly pretended to hate each other so their friends wouldn't think they'd caught The Cooties Ew Girls/Boys Ew. Now their "hatred" is such a part of their public personas that they'd probably think it humiliating to openly admit they've been hot'n'heavy for years. A bit childish really, but they're still a bit children.

Meanwhile, I'd lay down money that their friends already all know and are just humoring them because it's adorable.

Sneaksie Taffer
Sep 21, 2009

Mirage posted:

Because when they started dating two years ago, they publicly pretended to hate each other so their friends wouldn't think they'd caught The Cooties Ew Girls/Boys Ew. Now their "hatred" is such a part of their public personas that they'd probably think it humiliating to openly admit they've been hot'n'heavy for years. A bit childish really, but they're still a bit children.

Meanwhile, I'd lay down money that their friends already all know and are just humoring them because it's adorable.

Yes. We were posting examples of middle school relationship logic.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
In middle school, you are the center of the universe.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Yeah, if you can't admit you were at least a LITTLE self-absorbed at that age then you probably still are.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It's also fun to try to hide it, even if nobody cares. More exciting that way.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
code:
BUD HAS FOUND YOU!!!
>BUD HAS FOUND YOU!!!
>>BUD HAS FOUND YOU!!!
>>>BUD HAS FOUND YOU!!!
>>>>BUD HAS FOUND YOU!!!
>>>>>BUD HAS FOUND YOU!!!
>>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!
>>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!
>>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!
>>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!
>>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!!
>RUN WHILE YOU CAN!

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh good, generic teen romance spotted. Interest shooting through the floor.

Jack is the least interesting male in anything since Sailor Moon. :v:

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
Understatement of the Year nominee spotted.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Aw :3:

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

ChibiSoma posted:

I kind of agree, I'd like to see more of Jack's personality now that he's stopped being crazy. He doesn't seem to have much about him.

I'm almost liking generic teenager time, but right now I'd rather be on the next chapter with Parley and Smith.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Kat and Carver are so interesting because they complement one another with their different personalities but this combination seems a bit too introverted.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

ChibiSoma posted:

Hey man, you missed a few words out of your post. Here, I'll post the comments you Tweeted at me:

Chibisoma posted:

Well, Gunnerkrigg Court's decided to sink ships and hook Annie up with Jack, it seems. Interest completely hit rock bottom. Thanks, Tom!
Oh good, generic straight romance #2,405,120. Yawn. No Kat/Annie End, no reading. Jack's the least interesting male since Chiba Mamoru.
And to Tom: gently caress you for not taking a god drat chance, you cowardly loving bitch. "Nope. Everyone has to be straight!" gently caress you.
Remember the lesson GCC teaches us: Be straight, otherwise your peers won't like you. #GunnerkriggCourt #fuckingasshole #badendconfirmed
Now I definitely need to get to work on writing a guide because otherwise the urge to strange that cowardly little prick won't go away.
Yeah, can't do it. Hey @gunnerkrigg - good job sinking ships and ruining the comic, you weak god drat writer.
@gunnerkrigg Can't have the main characters be bi/gay, right? That's for the two designated 'weirdo' characters, huh? gently caress you, you prick.
@gunnerkrigg No, really, it's nice of you to have a 'please stop reading now' arc. Real considerate of you.
@gunnerkrigg - proving that making a bi/gay character the lead isn't worth the trouble. You're really breakin' down barriers there, Tom.
Hey kids: If you're gay, you should be off where you can't be seen. You must be straight. Remember the lessons that @gunnerkrigg taught us.
loving makes me sick. Great, one more generic straight romance with a bland male lead. Good job @gunnerkrigg you loving coward.
Need to go watch @GeorgeTakei say/do things to calm down. Stupid anti-gay bullshit ruining my morning. Off to Youtube I go...

And here's part of the stuff you said on my forum:

Chibisoma posted:

Really. I'm going to start magically liking Jack and the fact that Tom's ensured we won't get anything resembling a Kat/Annie end?

Great, one more boring-rear end straight romance. Tons of potential lost and for what? Because Tom didn't feel like taking any chances. That's for the two designated 'weird' kids in the comic, huh? Can't have the main characters interested in each other, despite all the little hints (and sometimes not so little ones) dropped all over the place. Must make them straight, boring, and ensure they wind up with the worst characters in the comic.

Yeah, tell me what there is to look forward to with this couple, hoss. You seem to be all for it. Jack's the most boring lead in any romance since Chiba Mamoru from Sailormoon. ::) There's not a single interesting (or redeeming) thing about him and yet it's looking increasingly like Annie's going to end up with him.

Because straight people, that's why. God forbid GCC take a chance with anything. Nope, must conform to the status quo and leave that gay poo poo to the weirdo characters, right?

Yeah, no. gently caress you and gently caress Tom. I guess it's nice he made a 'please stop reading my webcomic, it's becoming like any other teen romance strip' arc though. Real considerate-like. Always good to see straightforward, boring fuckin' romance blooming. And at the end, they'll have a kid, Annie'll die, and Kat'll be there to talk about the kid's adventures in the school or some other stereotypically generic thing. Because the kids must be like the parents, always and forever.

Thanks for your interest!

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Wow uh ok :stare:

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

...why would anyone think Kat and Annie were going to hook up at all in the first place?

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Well then.

Somebody's a little invested in their girl lovin'.

For the record, I'm digging this chapter, and I have no objections to Jack. I'm interested to see how he develops now that he's free of the spiders, and I fail to see how giving Annie an emotional connection to someone other than Kat is a bad thing. (Unless, of course, you've just GOTTA see :swoon: KAT+ANNIE=TRULUV 4EVA :swoon:)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
This chapter drags a bit on, but that's only because I want to see what happens when Jack uses the blinker stone.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Y'know, as far as I can see, they're just talking. I think I'll wait for some obvious flirting on both sides before flipping my poo poo.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

ChibiSoma posted:

words

Wow. As a gay man, I think I can safely say you're kind of crazy.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

kidcoelacanth posted:

Wow uh ok :stare:

Yeah that's some pretty hilarious rage over :qq: my yuri ships :qq:

I'm liking the chapter so far, it's pretty cute.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Fuego Fish posted:

Y'know, as far as I can see, they're just talking. I think I'll wait for some obvious flirting on both sides before flipping my poo poo.

Well, they did scootch a little closer together in the last panel of the latest strip.

This, clearly, means Jack and Annie will get married and Kat will be the bride of honor and just sob through the whole reception because she never told Annie how she feels...

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

...why would anyone think Kat and Annie were going to hook up at all in the first place?

I can definitely see where the perception comes from, but I can not imagine reading GC if I thought its only redeeming feature was my perceived sexuality of the two (underaged) female leads. Honestly, that is pretty damned shallow. And creepy.

Remember kids, if you don't depict your lead characters as being homosexual you are obviously anti-gay and a horrible person :eng99:

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Aug 29, 2011

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
There is not one. single. hint. that Annie and Kat will get together. They are just really close best friends. How anyone could see anything other than that is beyond me.

And I like the thing with Jack.

Chibisoma you crazy.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Ah, Chibisoma reminds me of the fun of hearing someone agree with you in a lot of ways, but phrasing it in a way that makes you want to flip your opinion just to spite them.

Seriously, what comic did he just read? For one, even if Jack/Annie does happen, it hasn't actually happened yet. For two, considering Gunnerkrigg's previously shown romances and their complications, I'd honestly be surprised if this had absolutely no complications that either flesh out Jack more, or drive a wedge between him and Annie and break them up. For three, I don't know, neither Annie nor Kat have expressed any implication they aren't straight before, but Kat kind of encountered someone that assumed she was gay. I took that as Chekhov's Gun laid on the table! But maybe instead it was some kind of bizarro anti-gay rhetoric meant to ruin my morning instead! God forbid we be patient and see how things actually pan out before deciding whether this is the end of the comic or whatever. And God forbid we react to an outcome we don't like without being whiny assholes about it.

Does it still make me a goon if I get angry over someone else getting angry over webcomics?

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004

Oneiros posted:

I can definitely see where the perception comes from...

It's not a very good perception, it's just the idea that two characters can't be close emotionally unless they're attracted to each other. (Which is probably why Chibisoma also thought Zimmy and Gamma were the weird kids designated to be gay, even though Zimmy and Gamma aren't lesbians either.)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

No, but you see, my ships,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

pumpinglemma posted:

Wow. As a gay man, I think I can safely say you're kind of crazy.

A 'more than just kind of crazy' vote here from the lesbian corner. :v:

Man I had no idea I needed to get all offended by this comic. OR that standing on a balcony and talking is going out! Man I have led so many people on.