Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
Dmitri can't die, he has a number of kittens and one zombie cat to take care of! Who will feed them their dremora heart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

drscience posted:

So... um...

I'm not very knowledgeable on necromancer combat abilities. What exactly can Dmitri do to get out of this situation?

Absolutely nothing. He's going to die right now. This whole interlude has been to inject some more misery and tragedy into Katia's circumstances (this time making use of dramatic irony, since Katia wouldn't even know it was happening) by robbing Katia of the opportunity to make a friend or at least receive a gift.

I could believe that's the case since we haven't seen Katia get miserably crushed in a little and her current circumstances offer few chances for said misery.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Don't be so cynical. He might just be horribly maimed and lose the letter and ring and all that other magic stuff he has.

But he'll still have his cats.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
And keep in mind that he's a necromancer. He's farting around with death and relife as a career, so that probably gives him a few more options.

Herpus Derpus
Nov 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
Dmitri's just going to be robbed of everything by gro-upp so he and Katia have something in common.

Edit: Kazerad, what illustration program(s) do you use?

Herpus Derpus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 25, 2011

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

Herpus Derpus posted:

Dmitri's just going to be robbed of everything by gro-upp so he and Katia have something in common.

I'm guessing Flash, almost certainly.

Kazerad
Aug 1, 2011

Unshamed by Koos

Herpus Derpus posted:

Haledjian posted:

I'm guessing Flash, almost certainly.
I use Flash and Illustrator for more professional stuff, but Prequel's mostly done in this Japanese program called GraphicsGale. It's incredibly streamlined for sprite animation, whereas programs like Flash and Photoshop just sort of begrudgingly agree to do sprite animation if you force them.

For the Flash animations I just export all the necessary sprites to Flash. Gif timing and compression are done in Animation Shop 3; it's an old program, but still one of the best I've found for moving frames around. For a few animations in the dream sequence I had to use Microsoft Gif Animator to solve some transparency problems.

Herpus Derpus
Nov 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
That's an awesome program, thanks. By the way you made me a furry you piece of poo poo.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Boom! Skadoosh! Update!

Dmitri's spell list is... interesting.

Don lluvia
Mar 27, 2010
That went about as well as expected. Seems like Dmitri will live though so I can't complain.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Is that a tattoo of his own face?

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Factory Factory posted:

Boom! Skadoosh! Update!

Dmitri's spell list is... interesting.

The ability to hug ALL cats is pretty terrifying, Dmitri must be truly powerful

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

RickoniX posted:

The ability to hug ALL cats is pretty terrifying, Dmitri must be truly powerful

If you've seen that OKCupid video, yes, it is terrifying.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

aegof posted:

Is that a tattoo of his own face?

Oh my God, I didn't even see that. It does look like Gro-Upp has a tramp stamp of his own face.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Calling it now. He's going to take the ring and wear it. Then later Katia is going to encounter him again and try to throw a fireball at him, which will fail because of his newfound fire-resistance ring.

She will then cry about whatever Grow-Up does next.

Edit: Actually, looking back all three things he considered as gifts were things Grow-Up could use to get around Katia's new magic powers - a wand of silence, an amulet of spell reflection, and a ring of fire resistance. This whole scene has been an unavoidable conveyance for the manner in which Grow-Up will next best Katia.

Well, it's also been a way to introduce us to a new character and show us cute kittens, but choice-wise this is the thing we've been influencing. I suppose the ring is the least damaging choice since Katia could get around it by learning a non-fire combat spell, but I'm willing to bet we specifically won't be able to convince her to do so (or she won't be able to at all) between now and when we next see Grow-Up.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 26, 2011

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
He reeeeeeally should've opened with Blindness there.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dolash posted:

Calling it now. He's going to take the ring and wear it. Then later Katia is going to encounter him again and try to throw a fireball at him, which will fail because of his newfound fire-resistance ring.

How do we know it's a fire-resistance ring? It just says Ring of Firewalking. It could very well only cover Gro-Upp's feet.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Technically it could also have been a potion gift basket, but I'm going to guess one of the potions would have been magicka resist or fire resist or something.

It will be interesting to see if Dmitri can be convinced to send one of the other things afterward. Assuming he survives.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

A good poster posted:

He reeeeeeally should've opened with Blindness there.

Depends on how Kazerad represents it. In Morrowind "blind" dimmed your vision to a percentage (e.g. 100% is a totally black screen, but 20% is like wearing a pair of sunglasses) and lowered your chance to hit by the same factor. Unless Dmitri has a very high magnitude blind spell it probably would have been about as helpful as summoning the skeleton. Toxic Cloud is probably his only spell that could have accomplished anything, in that it does enough damage over time that gro-Upp might have run away, although judging from his previous appearance he probably has an antidote potion in his pecs.

Also as a interesting side note, Dmitri has spells from Morrowind that didn't appear in Oblivion--blind and the generic "poison" aren't even spell effects anymore. Blind is just gone, and poison was replaced by actual alchemical poisons that cause other spell effects, like "drain health." I think it was implied in a previous update (when he talked about his wand of silence) that he studied outside Cyrodiil before coming to the Kvatch guild. Or maybe it was even directly stated and I just forgot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Young Freud posted:

How do we know it's a fire-resistance ring? It just says Ring of Firewalking. It could very well only cover Gro-Upp's feet.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Ring_of_Firewalking#Ring_of_Firewalking

It's a generic magic item you can find around the world. 30% resistance to fire.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
In which case Katia will have to try 30% harder to burn him.

I'm not totally solid on the math there, but it's worth a shot.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gnome de plume posted:

In which case Katia will have to try 30% harder to burn him.

I'm not totally solid on the math there, but it's worth a shot.
No, it just means he'll take only 70% of the damage of her lovely starting fire spell. Only thing which would make it do more damage is hitting a target with fire or general magical vulnerability, spells in Oblivion don't scale. Do we have a wizard version of :eng101:?

(Barring mod weirdness with quest rewards and such.) (Also your math is off and it'd be about 42% harder.)

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose
I just started reading this comic a week ago. Most of my reactions to this comic have been laughter or "Oh no! Sad kitty!" For a while, I thought things were turning around for Catgirl when Dmitri decided to give her a ring of fire resistance. I should have known better by then. Well, maybe Catgirl's next meeting with the fire resistant Gharug won't be hostile. :ohdear:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Good luck with your power situation, Kaz.

FutureSushi
Jan 12, 2011

Did I miss anything important?
The current / next tropical storm / future hurricane is Katia hey guess what I thought of first

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

The implications would be pretty amusing if it took out Kazerad's power and internet like Irene did.

I just realized that both of the characters (alive) in this room have slept with Katia. I wonder how they'd react to figuring out this common link?

Herpus Derpus
Nov 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Dolash posted:

The implications would be pretty amusing if it took out Kazerad's power and internet like Irene did.

I just realized that both of the characters (alive) in this room have slept with Katia. I wonder how they'd react to figuring out this common link?

I was thinking about that earlier. The Gro-Upp probably wouldn't care but Dmitri would be upset.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Wait, why should Gro-Upp even bother going after Katia again? She was a target of opportunity, he's way out of those leagues at the rate he's going.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

V. Illych L. posted:

Wait, why should Gro-Upp even bother going after Katia again? She was a target of opportunity, he's way out of those leagues at the rate he's going.

He'd be performing a follow up to make sure his service was satisfactory. He is a professional after all.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

They'll almost certainly cross paths again just because it's good to reuse characters, and Gro-Upp appears to be becoming a sort of representation of misery to those we sympathize with in the comic. His incredible luck contrasts well with the terrible luck of Katia (and now Dmitri, I guess), underlying the basic premise of the comic - bad things happening to good people.

I've been trying to work out if the name "Grow Up" is meant to hold some clever meaning, like he's a representation of the challenges of maturity or something. Or it could just be a clever name.

Herpus Derpus
Nov 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh

Dolash posted:

They'll almost certainly cross paths again just because it's good to reuse characters, and Gro-Upp appears to be becoming a sort of representation of misery to those we sympathize with in the comic. His incredible luck contrasts well with the terrible luck of Katia (and now Dmitri, I guess), underlying the basic premise of the comic - bad things happening to good people.

I've been trying to work out if the name "Grow Up" is meant to hold some clever meaning, like he's a representation of the challenges of maturity or something. Or it could just be a clever name.

I think the name was suggested in one of the early commands. I'll check.

Yeah, it was suggested that he be named "Up" here: http://prequeladventure.com/2011/03/katia/

Since the narration said Katia "hosed up."

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Dolash posted:

Gro is a fragment that appears in all male orc last names. (Gra is the equivalent female version.) So his name is really Gharug Upp, Male Orc. You will notice that the very first thing that Katia says after she wakens from their night together is "You hosed up."

See, she hosed Upp.

Yeah.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

That's worth minor pun points, but I'll hold out to see if - now given this silly name - Kazerad can find a later, more clever use for it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dolash posted:

That's worth minor pun points, but I'll hold out to see if - now given this silly name - Kazerad can find a later, more clever use for it.

I think the name Upp could be read as being generally indicative of his upbeat, positive attitude, too.

Also I just now noticed this thread was here, so hello Kazerad! I am a fan of your stuff. :) Your furry thread on MSPAF was a thing of beauty, until furries showed up and ruined it.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

TheCIASentMe posted:

He'd be performing a follow up to make sure his service was satisfactory. He is a professional after all.

Plus, how could to story ever be complete without a flex-off between him and Asotil?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Zenzirouj posted:

Plus, how could to story ever be complete without a flex-off between [Gro-Upp] and Asotil?

I expect as flash as ASOTIL busts out his finest "Stop right there, criminal scum!"

Herpus Derpus
Nov 9, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I wonder if Katia is an Ohmes-raht. It would make sense based on how she walks, her face, and her magical abilities.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Herpus Derpus posted:

I wonder if Katia is an Ohmes-raht. It would make sense based on how she walks, her face, and her magical abilities.

What the piss is with all the variations of these guys? I can't pick a single one out that Katia looks like, although Oblivion's lovely rear end models don't help.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Pollyanna posted:

What the piss is with all the variations of these guys? I can't pick a single one out that Katia looks like, although Oblivion's lovely rear end models don't help.

Mainly because Bethesda can't be arsed to keep the beast races looking the same between games so they (or maybe it's just the fans?) use different sub-races to explain why they look different from game-to-game. Presumably, every single Khajiit in Hammerfell is an "Ohmes-raht," every single Khajiit in Cyrodiil is a "Suthay-raht," etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?
I think the main culprit is, like most things, furries.

• Locked thread