Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

So I finally have the piston elevator I have dreamed of since they were introduced. It was the second thing I tried to build with them, after a bridge, and it's always eluded me. The first design I tried was two sticky and two normal pistons, where the sticky would be used to push up the non sticky piston, then it would extend and pull itself up. The trouble was that after three floors if was difficult to actually time everything correctly and not set off the two pistons needed to go in the opposite direction.

A few days ago I found a piston system a guy came up with that was much better. Basically it's a rectangle with four pistons at the corners. Using trap doors on some sort of backing and then wood or stone slabs you can make little elevator cars. Once you work the bugs out (piston opening/closing a door instead of pushing it, piston straight up refusing to actually push an object, piston pushing the object behind it for no real reason) it's a great system.

I'm not sure if it's accurate, but the video said you can only really make it in 3, 6 or 12 block sizes, so your limited in floors it can access. I built mine to 14 and it works ok.

Here's the video I used for anyone interested in this design: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XGktl0IZ-M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Is there any 'library' or recipe book of awesome structures/things that we can learn to make in Minecraft?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Came across these Disney ride videos. My two favorites, Splash Mountain and Haunted Mansion :allears:

Splash Mountain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcxSzhavRxk&feature=related

Haunted Mansion: (Part 1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_IHtGNFCU0&NR=1
(Part 2) http://youtu.be/LXInB1Hp2bk

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009

Odette posted:

Is there any 'library' or recipe book of awesome structures/things that we can learn to make in Minecraft?

Plotz in the OP has a few.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Lazyfire posted:

piston elevator

That is a genius design. So genius I immediately had to run to my SMP server and build one of my own. Unfortunately, I am apparently an inveterate fuckup, and can't build it correctly. Sadness. Somehow the pistons fall out of sync and I end up with situations where the pistons will all be pushing (or all but one will be pushing for no clear reason) blocks of empty air. I will have to rewatch the video and look for what I did wrong when I am not as tired as I currently am.

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

Allen Wren posted:

That is a genius design. So genius I immediately had to run to my SMP server and build one of my own. Unfortunately, I am apparently an inveterate fuckup, and can't build it correctly. Sadness. Somehow the pistons fall out of sync and I end up with situations where the pistons will all be pushing (or all but one will be pushing for no clear reason) blocks of empty air. I will have to rewatch the video and look for what I did wrong when I am not as tired as I currently am.

Maybe its one of those things that varies based on whether you build it facing north, south, east or west?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Applebee123 posted:

Maybe its one of those things that varies based on whether you build it facing north, south, east or west?

Or you just gotta hold your dick whilst playing. :colbert:

I tried this and it doesn't work for me either. (Not the dick bit, obviously.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like the Adventure Update (i.e. 1.8)is going to have a :siren:live demo today:siren: around

3:30pm PST / 5:30pm CST / 11:30pm(?) GMT

http://mojang.com/2011/08/25/pax-2011-schedule/

1.8 public release date as of yet unannounced

edit: fixed times (maybe)

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Aug 26, 2011

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
I want minecraft to generate features like the one created here in this tnt explosion video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeT2ElSqgVI&feature=fvwp&NR=1

I know the adventure update is going to have chasms and such, but I want caves and holes on a massive scale. One day I guess.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Looks like the Adventure Update (i.e. 1.8)is going to have a :siren:live demo today:siren: around

3:30pm PST / 6:30pm CST / 12:30am(?) GMT

http://mojang.com/2011/08/25/pax-2011-schedule/

1.8 public release as of yet unannounced

Ooh, exciting! But I think your timezones are wrong. 3:30 pm PST seems to be 6:30 EST and 10:30 GMT and therefore 12:30 am CST? if I remember the Dota2 tournaments correctly.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Whoops, it should be 5:30pm CST. Which should be 11:30pm GMT and 12:30am CET.

PST is -8, MST is -7 and CST is -6. GMT is +0 and CET is +1 I think?

I'm sort of surprised there isn't a [GMT]12:00[/GMT] conversion BBcode tag yet.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
Goddamn I hope someone films the 1.8 talk and uploads it.

I've never really followed PAX closely before, is this a common occurence? Or do they yell at people with cameras?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

I've never really followed PAX closely before, is this a common occurence? Or do they yell at people with cameras?

There will probably be 50 videos of it on youtube 2 hours after the talk

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Allen Wren posted:

I had that set of issues at first as well. I found not using any repeaters kept things going well. If you make it taller than say, six blocks the torches will act as repeaters and keep things in line. It's important that before the elevator starts that the top two pistons are ON and the bottom right/pushing up piston has nothing above it. This will cause the correct set of actions, the bottom right piston will move something into the up piston just as it pushes, which will cause something to get in the now empty space in the top right square, which will push something into the space going down the next cycle. It is a little buggy as I mentioned before, but is as simple as elevators get with fewer resources than most of what is out there.

Does anyone know of a good, free recording program? Most of what I find turns on my computer's microphone and all you hear are clicks as I record tours of my building. It's not a big deal when you are opening a few doors, but when the video is being made to keep a record of how to build something it gets old.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Well, after a few days of minecraft on a goons server, i can't help but find myself feeling that the whole thing is a lot shallower than Terraria.

Sure, you've got more free reign to make structures (and the possibilities with those are vast) but the range of items and features is really lacking.

One thing that's really bugging me is the jump from iron to diamond for material. It's basically wood, stone, iron, gold, diamond and most of the time you're just going to be floating around with iron gear. Terraria has wood, stone, iron, copper, silver, gold, daemonite and then a flame variety.

I'm also not a fan of the degrading tools. Scowering the land for material is perfectly acceptable in a land scultping game, but having to constantly rebuild your gear feels like a massive chore after a while. The 64x slot cap is also silly.

It's fun, but it feels like your ability to construct things, especially huge things (which is what this game is really about) is extensively gimped just to make it more hasslesome and take longer.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
So for about a week there's been a big mystery event going on with the Pigtails thing on Minecraft.net. We were promised to find out what the real story was about.. and we did.

MINECRAFT SOCKS.

It's not April Fools? gently caress, how underwhelming. I thought it was going to be like, you know, the Biggest New Feature in 1.8, or some news about a new Mojang project. Or something.

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Kin posted:

Well, after a few days of minecraft on a goons server, i can't help but find myself feeling that the whole thing is a lot shallower than Terraria.

Sure, you've got more free reign to make structures (and the possibilities with those are vast) but the range of items and features is really lacking.

One thing that's really bugging me is the jump from iron to diamond for material. It's basically wood, stone, iron, gold, diamond and most of the time you're just going to be floating around with iron gear. Terraria has wood, stone, iron, copper, silver, gold, daemonite and then a flame variety.

I'm also not a fan of the degrading tools. Scowering the land for material is perfectly acceptable in a land scultping game, but having to constantly rebuild your gear feels like a massive chore after a while. The 64x slot cap is also silly.

It's fun, but it feels like your ability to construct things, especially huge things (which is what this game is really about) is extensively gimped just to make it more hasslesome and take longer.

Do you realize that if vanilla Minecraft isn't giving you everything you wanted, there are plenty of mod options that are likely to satisfy you? I won't argue with you about degrading tools, even though I disagree with you, but there's a mod for that, too.

In fact, I'm 99% sure that every one of your issues can be resolved with a mod. Take some time to look into that option before you dismiss it completely.

That said, I think your expectations are off to begin with. It's the restrictions we're given in Minecraft that breed creativity in the first place.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

What a Judas posted:

Do you realize that if vanilla Minecraft isn't giving you everything you wanted, there are plenty of mod options that are likely to satisfy you? I won't argue with you about degrading tools, even though I disagree with you, but there's a mod for that, too.

In fact, I'm 99% sure that every one of your issues can be resolved with a mod. Take some time to look into that option before you dismiss it completely.

That said, I think your expectations are off to begin with. It's the restrictions we're given in Minecraft that breed creativity in the first place.

He can't use those mods if he's playing on a server with other people.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
"It's not enough like a 3D Terraria so I hate it"

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Reveilled posted:

He can't use those mods if he's playing on a server with other people.

Well he's gonna have to suck it up then, isn't he?

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

Goddamn I hope someone films the 1.8 talk and uploads it.
I'd love some coverage for the Scrolls Q&A, too. We have so little information about the game. Unless you follow Mojang on Twitter, then you're sure to know that it ISN'T SKYRIM.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Jelly posted:

"It's not enough like a 3D Terraria so I hate it"

Well a 3D multiplayer terraria with less combat (or a way to control the spawns) would be perfect.

And i don't hate it, i just find that after playing Terraria, some of the vanilla things (that you can't mod out when playing on certain servers) are just redundant to the overall completion of an identical creative objective. Degrading tools? Pointless, it's a just a distraction that leads to nothing more than forcing you spend a few minutes to make a new one every once in a while. 64 item cap? Pointless, an artificial extension of the time it takes for you to build something detailled and resource heavy. Neither of those in any way inprove creativity, it just forces you to spend more time putting your creation together.

Awcko
May 26, 2009

Mo' Pushin'

Mo' Problems
Notch is showing off 1.8 right here: http://www.twitch.tv/realnotch#/w/1675655472

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

It sounds like you dislike the resource gathering aspect of it. Maybe try a server running the creative mode? You can then build to your hearts content. But if you take away the resource gathering its just virtual Legos.

That timely creation process makes the end result more rewarding for me.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 3D first-person Lego simulator. Just saying. :colbert:

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Awcko posted:

Notch is showing off 1.8 right here: http://www.twitch.tv/realnotch#/w/1675655472

Is this hosed for anyone else? Also I see on the stream are a couple of open windows on a desktop or something, and then nothing happen, and if I close the lab, Chrome freezes for a while.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Awcko posted:

Jesus, this is going to be a completely different game.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

I'm using Chrome and it's working okay. The comments are just... :doh:

People are so out of touch, someone said "Minecart support in SMP?" .. uhh

Jelly fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 26, 2011

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

chippy posted:

Is this hosed for anyone else? Also I see on the stream are a couple of open windows on a desktop or something, and then nothing happen, and if I close the lab, Chrome freezes for a while.
I'm having the same experience. Can someone post in here some screenshots or what's happening? Anything new we haven't had him hint at?

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

fondue posted:

I'm having the same experience. Can someone post in here some screenshots or what's happening? Anything new we haven't had him hint at?

I watched for ~5 minutes before it crapped out. Nothing new, but seeing it all together in one package is actually a bit overwhelming. The game has changed a lot. Also the colored lighting is beautiful.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Endermen get hurt in water! An M. Night Shyamalan twist!

Also, they just place the blocks they carry around down randomly.

Also, rivers and new more dramatic biome code. Mountain ranges.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

fondue posted:

I haven't been following the updates contents super closely but... So far we've seen new lighting, the larger bodies of water, one of the villages (just saw houses, no people), and an Enderman.

The only thing I saw that I was like "What is that?!" was some little orbs that popped up at some point and gravitated toward the player for collection. I think it was mentioned that it was experience, and it won't have any effect (or even be implemented) for 1.8.

The quality of the video is not good. It's a cellphone video recording of a laptop.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

fondue posted:

Well, we now have eating animations, and apparently in the world of Minecraft you eat like a squirrel.
Like vampires or other evil creatures of lore, water kills the Endermen.
Clouds are higher, mountain biomes are in.
The new lighting is beautiful.
He's been through a few villages, but no sign of any inhabitants.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
"Clouds are much higher up now'

Everything looks much more polished and nice. There is an eating animation, you have to charge up arrows before shooting them, and sprinting seems really smooth too.

But the nether is still the same

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Notch confirmed that 1.8 does not have a release date yet.

Also alluded to there being so much content that it may have to be release piece-wise.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Something about fog filling the deeper levels, too.

rinski
Sep 12, 2007

I'm enjoying the footage of people in the booth and other games.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Jelly posted:

Notch confirmed that 1.8 does not have a release date yet.

Also alluded to there being so much content that it may have to be release piece-wise.

W.. what? That doesn't make sense. They want to ship out bits and pieces of a release that has been developed in large chunks, contiguously? I guess they really, really want to have some buggy releases - at least I would assume that would be the result.

Talking out of my rear end here, never coded a thing.

Tbqh I'm sort of anticipating that Notch and Jeb have actually shot their load over Twitter/blogs and we've actually seen it all.

Dawts
Oct 3, 2009

Not a Twat posted:

"Clouds are much higher up now'

Everything looks much more polished and nice. There is an eating animation, you have to charge up arrows before shooting them, and sprinting seems really smooth too.

But the nether is still the same

I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see changes to the nether for a long long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

A Sassy Dog posted:

W.. what? That doesn't make sense. They want to ship out bits and pieces of a release that has been developed in large chunks, contiguously? I guess they really, really want to have some buggy releases - at least I would assume that would be the result.

Talking out of my rear end here, never coded a thing.

Tbqh I'm sort of anticipating that Notch and Jeb have actually shot their load over Twitter/blogs and we've actually seen it all.

Yeah that seems weird to me too. The only reason that would make sense to me would be if they'd for some reason forked their code base, added all these features on different branches and hadn't integrated them yet, which they clearly haven't done because it would be loving mental.