Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

zalmoxes posted:

I've been trying to build this minecart storage system http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9osaA68xMts&feature=player_embedded and it just won't work!
The piston pushes the cart onto powered rail, but then the cart doesn't move.

Did you remember to make them face north or south?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:
Got it to work. I was testing it with only one cart... turns out it will work if you stack the carts.

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

zalmoxes posted:

Got it to work. I was testing it with only one cart... turns out it will work if you stack the carts.

Oh, yeah. Anything less than three and it just kinda breaks.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Talking about the NPCs, I noticed there was a lava based blacksmith area and I recall Jeb mentioning that his Blacksmith kept burning down his village with lava, so I think they have been working on NPCs if they aren't present in the demo right now

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
The longer 1.8 takes, the better, I say.

I need time to finish my map before everything goes all... different-y on me.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I love when someone posts something that long. Always an awesome read.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Talking about the NPCs, I noticed there was a lava based blacksmith area and I recall Jeb mentioning that his Blacksmith kept burning down his village with lava, so I think they have been working on NPCs if they aren't present in the demo right now

They are definitely working on NPCs.

1.8 might or might not have them. Not even Notch is sure. Mojang might split 1.8 into multiple releases because stuff is taking longer/is buggier than they expected. So they might release what's finished and polished next week and save everything else until it's fixed. I can imagine that this would make a LOT of people rage.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Virtually anything they do will make people rage. The update could come out perfectly with all the promised features and then some, with no bugs to speak of, and people would still rage for it not having some feature they imagined, or for breaking their mods.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

crossektion posted:

And the people saying "the game was done a long time ago, be happy you get all this stuff", piss off. Notch had a list of poo poo he wanted to put in the game, and he labelled the current state of it "beta" for a reason. Stop kissing rear end.
That's, really needlessly hostile. I don't know if you will, but it might help to try and think about why you're so mad. I mean, I get that you're mad at Notch for cheating you or whatever, but why are you so mad at people who aren't mad?

Personally I felt like Minecraft was more than worth the money I paid when I bought it a year ago- in the state it was in then. I can respect that, if you didn't like it and only bought it for what it would be- that you'd feel cheated... but did anyone actually do that?

I mean, there's more to add, but is Minecraft really "incomplete"? Like, objectionably so? It's a really fun lego game with some adventure elements to add a bit of challenge and satisfaction. And every update it's slowly getting better.

Is any of that wrong? You obviously enjoyed it to some extent. If you hated it, you'd probably just write it off as a waste of money and not hang around this thread. So assuming you enjoyed it, and assuming you don't think the updates are actively making the game worse... what's the big deal? You got something nice that's getting better. Why would you go off in a frothing rage about that?

Cygni posted:

Why are people posting huge rear end posts about a patch to a cheap little game about cake blocks and jumping skeletons. The gently caress is wrong with ya'll.
Why did you make a dinky little post that was basically, "Look at me, I'm so cool and don't care! :smug:"?

Some people do care. That's okay. Nothing wrong with that. It's a Minecraft discussion thread. If people discussing Minecraft bother you... well, I'd at least revise my expectations when clicking on this thread if I were you.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Vib Rib posted:

Virtually anything they do will make people rage. The update could come out perfectly with all the promised features and then some, with no bugs to speak of, and people would still rage for it not having some feature they imagined, or for breaking their mods.

And the rest of us, the (relatively) sane Minecraft players get free entertainment from all the rage. I see no downside, unless you happen to be one of these delicate souls whose blocks Notch just kicked over.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

The game only cost me like :20bux:. That's a drop in the ocean compared to the countless hours of pleasure and fun that the game has provided me.

CoderCat
May 7, 2005

Science, it works. :science:
I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find anything in search. I'm new to the game. I learned how to mine and craft stuff in single player. However, when I join a multiplayer server, I can't mine anything. People told me in chat that I needed to find an unclaimed land. I walked around for hours, found pieces of land that looked empty, but was never able to break or mine anything. I can't find anything online about claiming lands either. What am I missing?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

CoderCat posted:

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I can't find anything in search. I'm new to the game. I learned how to mine and craft stuff in single player. However, when I join a multiplayer server, I can't mine anything. People told me in chat that I needed to find an unclaimed land. I walked around for hours, found pieces of land that looked empty, but was never able to break or mine anything. I can't find anything online about claiming lands either. What am I missing?

You joined a lovely server. That's not how the game is by default.

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe

CoderCat posted:

Basically the server you're on has protection in place to prevent people from destroying their stuff, regardless of whether the land looks empty. You probably need to travel quite far especially if this server has been around for a while. Joining a different server may be a good idea.

CoderCat
May 7, 2005

Science, it works. :science:
All right, thanks. I'll pick a server from the goon server list and see how it goes.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

poo poo, I was out for a few days. Chain world's being sent off to Estel.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

CoderCat posted:

Also, certain servers are configured such that they require that your username is placed on the oplist before you can dig.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 12, 2014

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Jesto posted:

Out of curiousity, what percentage of those hours were spent in pure vanilla Minecraft and what percentage were spent with mods and on Adventure Maps?

People say that the game only cost them $20, but in it's current state it doesn't seem much like a $20 game. You build a bit, you get diamond stuff, explore some caves and there's not much left to do beyond that.

Sometimes I wonder if Notch set the price based on the endless hours of entertainment people can get out of what the modding/mapping community makes for free and not so much the basic game itself. Is this a correct assumption?

Notch talked some about the pricing plan even when Minecraft was still a browser game (no texture packs or mods).

I know when I first got the game, I sunk many hours into it, and it was over a year before mods started to come out.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Jesto posted:

Out of curiousity, what percentage of those hours were spent in pure vanilla Minecraft and what percentage were spent with mods and on Adventure Maps?

People say that the game only cost them $20, but in it's current state it doesn't seem much like a $20 game. You build a bit, you get diamond stuff, explore some caves and there's not much left to do beyond that.

Sometimes I wonder if Notch set the price based on the endless hours of entertainment people can get out of what the modding/mapping community makes for free and not so much the basic game itself. Is this a correct assumption?

How are Minecraft adventure maps not Minecraft? And how is modded Minecraft not Minecraft? Is Oblivion with mods not Oblivion? Is Team Fortress 2 with custom maps and mods not Team Fortress 2?

And if even somebody is dumb enough to accept your fallacious argument, the entire time I've spent playing Minecraft has been unmodded (well, OptiFine, but that doesn't change the gameplay at all, it just makes Minecraft work on really lovely hardware).

Minecraft has certainly been worth my $13 dozens of times over.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Jesto posted:

If you have 0 creativity, then yes.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Jesto posted:

Roughly 50% of my total /played in Minecraft is on vanilla just digging tunnels, building houses, piers, random poo poo.

And :20bux: is like ... dinner out for one night.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 12, 2014

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I've put ~20 hours into a server with 2 RL buddies over the past couple weeks. We set up an awesome base, a minecart system, shaved the top half of a mountain off to start a surface fortress, and are having a ball loving with pistons.

dont eat a carb
May 2, 2011

by T. Finn

IGN posted:

Lastly, players will soon be battling Silverfish. These monsters lurk inside the very blocks that players mine, making each swing of a pickaxe a potentially violent affair.

Oh.

:suicide:

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

dont eat a carb posted:

Oh.

No. No no no no no. Seriously, gently caress silverfish. Endermen I can deal with, but not those fuckers.

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Vinigre posted:

No. No no no no no. Seriously, gently caress silverfish. Endermen I can deal with, but not those fuckers.

Sooooooo loving psyched to see their model. Really looking forward to crafting some horrible lovecraftian beast for my texture pack. :dance:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

dont eat a carb posted:

Oh.

And now I will continue to play on Peaceful.

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames

HYMEN.SYS posted:

I meant THE Vikings. As in Minnesota's blue balled sports team.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I guess I hadn't realized that it was planned that the village-dwelling NPCs would give the player quests. That could be interesting.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

JGBeagle posted:

And now I will continue to play on Peaceful.

Same.

A link to the article since I didn't see it:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/119/1190990p1.html

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Aug 28, 2011

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
maybe I'm missing something but I tried Googling and all I could come up with are the same tiny little bugs I sometimes find in my apartment and aren't particularly gross, or threatening at all.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

crazylakerfan posted:

Same.

Thirded. Honestly, I love Minecraft, and I like having monsters around, even Creepers, but silverfish, no, my heart can't take it. I'm not in this game to be scared when something jumps out at me, and I'm definitely not in it to have my mining interrupted by things coming out of the walls. Is it only when a block is destroyed by a tool or would any destruction cause the fuckers to come out? Forget about TNT, then, and if a Creeper gets you, even if you survive, HERE COME THE SILVERFISH. Or, hey, let's say you want to knock down a wall in your living room and connect it directly to the dining room? OH poo poo SILVERFISH.

What is it with the mobs that Notch wants to add in the upcoming updates being ones that explicitly make the fact that your home/castle/walled-off cave/hovel/tower/whatever no longer a safe place? Between this and teleporting Endermen that can get behind your castle walls, even if you outrun them, there's rapidly little point to even HAVING a safe space other than a tiny room with a bed to make night go away and day come again.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Allen Wren posted:

Thirded. Honestly, I love Minecraft, and I like having monsters around, even Creepers, but silverfish, no, my heart can't take it. I'm not in this game to be scared when something jumps out at me, and I'm definitely not in it to have my mining interrupted by things coming out of the walls. Is it only when a block is destroyed by a tool or would any destruction cause the fuckers to come out? Forget about TNT, then, and if a Creeper gets you, even if you survive, HERE COME THE SILVERFISH. Or, hey, let's say you want to knock down a wall in your living room and connect it directly to the dining room? OH poo poo SILVERFISH.

What is it with the mobs that Notch wants to add in the upcoming updates being ones that explicitly make the fact that your home/castle/walled-off cave/hovel/tower/whatever no longer a safe place? Between this and teleporting Endermen that can get behind your castle walls, even if you outrun them, there's rapidly little point to even HAVING a safe space other than a tiny room with a bed to make night go away and day come again.
I get what you guys are saying, and I think it would be nice if Notch had a "semi-Peaceful" mode with a few monsters, but not the more destructive ones, but I play on a SMP server with a few of my friends, and it sounds really fun for us to have to watch our poo poo/rebuild stuff every once in a while when we're not careful. Otherwise a world gets pretty stagnant after a few weeks, I think.

As a sidenote, Notch just tweeted:

quote:

Jens will be the lead minecraft dev for a while because of a super secret project I will be working on for two weeks. :D
So perhaps Jeb is going to be handling the bugfixing before the 1.8 release (since, you know, he seems to be much better at it than Notch)

SIr_Lienad
Aug 17, 2011

Furthering my education in stupidity, one day at a time.
Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

maybe I'm missing something but I tried Googling and all I could come up with are the same tiny little bugs I sometimes find in my apartment and aren't particularly gross, or threatening at all.

That's what they are. Here's a speculative image of what they'll be rendered as: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/416871-image-of-some-silverfish-in-game/

It's based off of the sprite available in the files.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Notch has fallen prey to the same thing a lot of developers do. At this point, what is fun to him is making other people NOT have fun. The entire point of both of the newest kind of monsters is for him to "beat" you.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Oh sure, those little guys aren't scary at all... until they slip into your ears and won't come out.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

waffle posted:

I get what you guys are saying, and I think it would be nice if Notch had a "semi-Peaceful" mode with a few monsters, but not the more destructive ones, but I play on a SMP server with a few of my friends, and it sounds really fun for us to have to watch our poo poo/rebuild stuff every once in a while when we're not careful. Otherwise a world gets pretty stagnant after a few weeks, I think.

This is fair---I can't say I 100% agree, but that's just different play philosophies: I prefer to build in such a way that there will be no intrusion, and dislike rebuilding. It can lead to some stagnation, but the SMP server I've played on mostly has had serious lag problems leading to monsters ninjaing in and either killing you or blowing up all your poo poo before you can even see it, even if it's walking straight towards your face.

As you say, you prefer to watch your stuff/and/or fix it when it's busted, when you're "not careful," but these mobs, as described thus far, punish even the careful player, by teleporting after you (presumably) even after you've reached safe ground, or by popping out of blocks in well-lit areas in what is presumed to be safe ground.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

K8.0 posted:

Notch has fallen prey to the same thing a lot of developers do. At this point, what is fun to him is making other people NOT have fun. The entire point of both of the newest kind of monsters is for him to "beat" you.
Yeah that sounds like exactly it
Notch is intentionally making the game as unenjoyable as possible because he hates his customers and fanbase so badly he wants nothing more than to gently caress with them
That really sounds like the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I just think he's confused "challenging" with "giant pain in the rear end".