Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider
My mom watches reruns of stuff on Ion before I get there and we watch some Netflix stuff. A month or so ago they started running ads for the syndication of the USA mystery comedies Psych and Monk. They just showed some random scenes in the original commercials. These apparently didn't play to their audience and they assumed the problem was that they looked to comedic because they have, through some creative editing, made promo reels for both shows that completely missell the shows as some kind of dark drama. It's kind of funny when you know how all those scenes work in context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Ugh, that Cougarlife.com commercial...

First of all, none of the lyrics in the song match up to whatever random words the "vacalist" is singing.

Secondly, the song is terrible anyway.

Thirdly, like 75% of the women it shows in the commercial are clearly not cougars...Hell, a couple of them barely look like they're even 21, let alone the absolute minimum any rational guy would consider a cougar to be (40.)

And fourthly, that woman with the ice cream cone and the clown lips is freaking me out, please remove her from all future advertisements.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
And I'm pretty sure the girl doing the fistpump is just stock footage that Adult Swim used at one point in their bumps.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

404GoonNotFound posted:

And I'm pretty sure the girl doing the fistpump is just stock footage that Adult Swim used at one point in their bumps.

Now that you mention it, it's probably all stock footage. I'm sure there's plenty of 'random band' footage lying around at any decent ad agency, so they just did their best to kind of match up the song to the (probably) non-existent words the singer was mouthing. Makes for a much cheaper ad.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Oh boy, the McDonalds ad that inspired this thread title is back. :suicide:

MillionsV
Jun 11, 2010
I know, I know. They even play it on the radio now, but I believe it's changed to "The hip to the McNugget hop; the flip to the flop."

Really, McDonalds? You thought this idea warranted two different masterpiece poems?

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?
I just saw a commercial for shoe lifts for men, I think it was for liftkits but I don't remember. Anyhow it started out with a blinking "PAY ATTENTION!! Would you like an extra two inches??" I seriously thought it was going to be a commercial about penis implants.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I like to pretend that after they took that guy's chicken mcnuggets that they beat him over the head with a baseball bat mid poem and then stole his wallet to buy some more McNuggets to go.

Ryokurin posted:

I just saw a commercial for shoe lifts for men, I think it was for liftkits but I don't remember. Anyhow it started out with a blinking "PAY ATTENTION!! Would you like an extra two inches??" I seriously thought it was going to be a commercial about penis implants.

What I don't get is who the gently caress would buy this? I mean really? 2 inches of your height is what is seperating your life from being complete poo poo to awesomeness? Give me a break. I also like that they do the comparison with the girl next to him and even after the 2 inches he's still barely taller than her. She's like an amazon woman.

A Fistful of Owls
Sep 2, 2006

I remember the day you followed me home.

vyst posted:

What I don't get is who the gently caress would buy this? I mean really? 2 inches of your height is what is seperating your life from being complete poo poo to awesomeness? Give me a break. I also like that they do the comparison with the girl next to him and even after the 2 inches he's still barely taller than her. She's like an amazon woman.

Why don't you ask Sarkozy.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dear Toyota Venza,

I don't know what I did to receive the punishment of seeing your ad because you aren't even that pervasive across my media consumption. If I counted how often I saw your ad versus other more common ones you'd probably be pretty low. The issue is, of course, that your add is simply that noxious.

Why yes, Toyota Venza, everyone under the age of 55+ are nothing more than children in adult bodies who lack an motivation or movement in their lives without the influence of their parents. Furthermore, they lack the funds or athleticism to leave the couch or stop surfing the web for five minutes.

So please, don't mind me, I'm just a person under the age of 55 who is beginning to associate your fine brand with being a dick.

Sincerely,

Barudak.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

On a Ads we don't hate note- the Toshiba ad for the laptop hard drive and the TV wireless still crack me up whenever I see them

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

My mom just texted me and said she saw a weird Marie Callender commercial - it had a woman taking lasagna out of the oven, another putting down her gardening stuff, and a man turning off a tv. Then they all sit at a table and smile at each other. She said the women look about the same age, not like mother/daughter. Anybody seen this? I can't seem to find it on youtube. I doubt they have a commercial with a polygamist so I wonder what the deal is?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Pajama Jeans: No, not for sleepwear. Everyday wear. They're stretchable and comfortable because, you know, no jeans are comfortable and no company has any with elastic in the waist. Nah, you can't just get a larger size in regular jeans and make them more comfortable. Pajama jeans are the only way to be comfy. And they're stylish, too. They have a mock fly.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I like how the commercial says "a good pair of jeans can cost you $80 or more" and then goes on to talk about how their product is cheaper.

But really the whole product is just :psyduck:

No. 9
Feb 8, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I think Old Navy has really topped themselves and made the shittiest advert in their history with this Night Ranger thing.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

No. 9 posted:

I think Old Navy has really topped themselves and made the shittiest advert in their history with this Night Ranger thing.

I saw that commercial yesterday during an SNL rerun and until the end I was sure it had to be a fake commercial.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I thought all those Old Navy ads were attempts at post-modern deconstructionism :confused:

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Mozi posted:

I thought all those Old Navy ads were attempts at post-modern deconstructionism :confused:

I think that's giving them a little too much credit.

aquatic sideshow
Nov 21, 2005

by I Ozma Myself
Didn't Cheerios get into a shitload of trouble for advertising their cereal as if it had health benefits?

There's a stupid lovely commercial where apparently a group of people go into a restaurant, and all order bowls of cereal. Not only that, they apparently order bowls of cereal by telling the waitress whichever health problem they have, and the waitress brings out bowls of Cheerios like some sort of bizarre pharmacist-waitress-cereal maker. It boggles the mind.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Athenry posted:

I think that's giving them a little too much credit.

I was gonna say the same thing. Old Navy seems to be playing the "they're so bad you can't help but remember them!" card, and while that's probably true, I don't see how that's doing anything to help sales.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Old navy seriously hits a bizarre low when it comes to advertising. I don't think it's possible to make something that awful by accident. But why consistently make horrible annoying commercials on purpose? They must know that normal people change the channel or mute the sound as soon as it starts. Maybe ad execs always watch commercials and just assume that actual people do it too?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Never would I have thought I would miss their "parodies" of Z-list celebrity holiday specials back in the 90s.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 35 days!

aquatic sideshow posted:

Didn't Cheerios get into a shitload of trouble for advertising their cereal as if it had health benefits?

There's a stupid lovely commercial where apparently a group of people go into a restaurant, and all order bowls of cereal. Not only that, they apparently order bowls of cereal by telling the waitress whichever health problem they have, and the waitress brings out bowls of Cheerios like some sort of bizarre pharmacist-waitress-cereal maker. It boggles the mind.

So did Dannon with their Activia yogurt brand. I'm sad to see Jamie Lee Curtis out there hawking the yogurt equivalent of snake oil. :(

MillionsV
Jun 11, 2010

vyst posted:

On a Ads we don't hate note- the Toshiba ad for the laptop hard drive and the TV wireless still crack me up whenever I see them

The zombie one makes me irrationally angry, like anything with zombies after the year 2000.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Grandpa Pap posted:

So did Dannon with their Activia yogurt brand. I'm sad to see Jamie Lee Curtis out there hawking the yogurt equivalent of snake oil. :(

They're dancing around that in amazing fashion. Now it just "makes you feel good" or something.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

DJExile posted:

They're dancing around that in amazing fashion. Now it just "makes you feel good" or something.

I was under the impression it made you poo poo good. Or at the very least was instrumental in some fashion to keeping oneself 'regular'. I may be mixing it up with another Yogurt commercial, I don't give a poo poo anymore at this point :psypop: They all start to blend together after a while.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
That stupid diaper commercial were the babys "blow out" their diapers for a contest is back. Last thing I wanted to see sick with a upset stomach. Who approves poop jokes?

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I was under the impression it made you poo poo good. Or at the very least was instrumental in some fashion to keeping oneself 'regular'. I may be mixing it up with another Yogurt commercial, I don't give a poo poo anymore at this point :psypop: They all start to blend together after a while.

That was them. They got in trouble I believe for saying it helps you poo poo better and keep you regular. I think all yogurt does that.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The diaper one is gross but I still laugh at "your son Rip is on line toot"

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Doomsday Jesus posted:

That was them. They got in trouble I believe for saying it helps you poo poo better and keep you regular. I think all yogurt does that.

Yeah, "probiotic" and "good bacteria" and such was all over them for a while and basically took over "fiber" and "antioxidants" as the new buzzword in food ads for some time.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DJExile posted:

I got 15 bucks from the activia class action lawsuit :smug:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

vyst posted:

hahahaha did you really? I need to hear this story.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

vyst posted:

Did you use it to buy more yogurt?

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

I don't give a poo poo anymore at this point

You should eat some Activia!

Ryokurin
Jul 14, 2001

Wanna Die?

aquatic sideshow posted:

I believe this was Kellogg's which put on several cereal boxes around 5 years ago that it boosted immunity. It was in huge type as if it was some type of breakthrough and I can't believe no one thought that people wouldn't research it.

Sizzlechest
May 7, 2007

Ryokurin posted:

I believe this was Kellogg's which put on several cereal boxes around 5 years ago that it boosted immunity. It was in huge type as if it was some type of breakthrough and I can't believe no one thought that people wouldn't research it.

Here's the thing... It's not that the statements were intentionally misleading since they were based on the results of studies. The problem was that the wording made it seem as if eating cereal had an active medicinal effect and that's why the FDA got involved. The FDA believes that whole grains are healthy, so they have no problem with General Mills claiming that.

BTW, the idea that fats are bad and whole grains are good is completely wrong, but that's another story altogether.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
People regularly eat food that is filled with sodium and saturated fats and they think it's healthy because it says low cal on the package. If losing 60 pounds in the last year has taught me anything it's the nutrition should be something parents teach their kids because the schools don't give it much attention and it's a really important (and simple) thing that I personally regret learning about so (relatively) late in my life.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.
This Chevy commercial is quite possible the worst I've ever seen. I honestly thought it was a joke the first time I watched it. Terrible acting, terrible camera work, terrible audio issues...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvnohA-sdNo

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Grandpa Pap posted:

Activia is the food equivelent of opening the airlock on a crowded space station. It will definetly make you poo poo after eating a few cups. It won't make you poop better, it will just make you poop.

Allthough if they mixed the yogurt in with psyllium husks it would be opening the airlock on a space station filled with nuclear missles. I'm not even sure if there's a toilet made by man that could take the punishment you would dish out. And thats before you finish it off with a magnesium citrate chaser.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Aug 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

moleman posted:

This Chevy commercial is quite possible the worst I've ever seen. I honestly thought it was a joke the first time I watched it. Terrible acting, terrible camera work, terrible audio issues...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvnohA-sdNo

I really want to believe that's meant to be so over-the-top that it's funny but jesus you're not kidding :stare: