Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Transfer the saves to your SD card, then stick your sd card in your computer and direct dolphin to the bin file from the "wii save import"

That's the opposite of what he wants to do.

If you right-click on the game in Dolphin's main window, and select "Export Wii save (experimental)", you'll get a new 'private' directory in Dolphin's root*. Put in root of SD card, put SD card in Wii, copy save onto Wii in Data Management.

If that doesn't work, use Savegame Manager (or SMGX), and you may get away with the raw saves Dolphin uses.

*Or wherever you set its "start in" directory, if you used a shortcut and it's not in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Ingram posted:

is a Core i5-2410M going to cut it for Wii emulation/Xenoblade if I play at native resolution?

I have an i3 and Xenoblade works great at max (4xNative) resolution even with 4x Anti-aliasing.

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
So anyway, I have the urge to upgrade my PC with Xenoblade in mind. Would an i5 2500, 4 GB RAM, ATI HD 5570 rig be enough? The exact same rig was tested here and the results seem to come out on top. What I'm trying to say is, would it run flawlessly?

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead

Megalixir posted:

So anyway, I have the urge to upgrade my PC with Xenoblade in mind. Would an i5 2500, 4 GB RAM, ATI HD 5570 rig be enough? The exact same rig was tested here and the results seem to come out on top. What I'm trying to say is, would it run flawlessly?

Who knows? I have it running flawlessly on my non-overclocked i5 750/4GBR/GTX460 but there have been plenty of reports from people with systems more powerful that haven't ever been able to get it working perfectly.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Megalixir posted:

The i5 2500k can indeed run the game fine in LLE even. You should be OK.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
Here is an awesome build that just came out today. Fixes the staticy audio issue for the most part. You might get a spot of static here and there, but it will only last for half a second or so rather than sticking around. It runs great!

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=14356&pid=169235#pid169235

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

The game seems to run pretty well here, using LLE, but I get periodic crashes. I tried using the build in the previous post using HLE, but it also occasionally crashes. Has anybody else had this sort of problem?

Also, where are the saves located?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

The game seems to run pretty well here, using LLE, but I get periodic crashes. I tried using the build in the previous post using HLE, but it also occasionally crashes. Has anybody else had this sort of problem?

Also, where are the saves located?

I've gotten two or three crashes in 25 hours of play. Only thing I can say is to save often. Both save states and in-game saves.

Wii saves are in \User\Wii\title\00010000. Xenoblade's directory will be 53583450 I think.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Thanks, transferring over what was in that folder seemed to give me my saves.

Anyway, I made my own build, pulling down the newest git revision to see if it might help. It hasn't crashed yet, so fingers crossed, I guess.

It doesn't have a svn revision number, as they seem to use git as their main repository now. At any rate, in the about screen you scan see it is current to c0dd84cf7d04, the latest revision at the moment.
x64 SSE 2 Version
x64 SSE 4.2 Version
These don't have any special patches applied, so I guess if you are having problems with using HLE you might want to use one of the patched builds. If other builds are giving you problems, maybe try one of these. These are compiled with ICC too, so they might be faster than VC++ compiled binaries.

Edit: Whoops, these are the VC++ compiled versions. They still work fine though. ICC versions coming soon.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 28, 2011

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Sir Unimaginative posted:

That's the opposite of what he wants to do.

If you right-click on the game in Dolphin's main window, and select "Export Wii save (experimental)", you'll get a new 'private' directory in Dolphin's root*. Put in root of SD card, put SD card in Wii, copy save onto Wii in Data Management.

If that doesn't work, use Savegame Manager (or SMGX), and you may get away with the raw saves Dolphin uses.

*Or wherever you set its "start in" directory, if you used a shortcut and it's not in there.

Bit late, but I wanted to say thanks. I was just putting the .bin in the root dir of my SD card, rather than putting the 'private' folder in the root. Your first method worked perfectly.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Okay, here are some ICC builds. These have the optimizations jacked up to the max. Is automatic parallelization a good idea when building an emulator? How about interprocedural optimization and intel optimized headers? I've got no clue, but it sounds good so gently caress it, it is in! These could be disasters, or really fast builds.

Each one of these things takes about twenty minutes to build, compared to about a minute using VC++.
x64 SSE 3 version
x64 SSE 4.2 version

jromano
Sep 24, 2007
I get an error when trying to open that last build. Says libiomp5md.dll is missing.

This is probably because of the parallelization flag. Keep these builds up though, there aren't really any decent ones out there. The last ICC optimized one I saw is a few months old. We could use a good one based on the git source.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Here you go. One libiomp5md.dll, straight from the redistributable.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0dj1gqyi6exurkk

I opened up the executable in dependency walker, and nothing else stood out to me, so I think you should be good to go now. Let me know if anything else is missing.

I've been using the ICC compiled SSE 4.2 version, and it seems solid. I was still getting the same crash that I was with other people's builds, but switching from xaudio to direct sound seems to have fixed it. It looks like there is some sort of audio queue problem in the code at the moment.

Edit: For running Xenoblade, SilverThread's config on the previous page seems to work pretty well so far. My only changes would be to suggest LLE for sound, and dsound for the backend. Lets you sidestep that static issue completely. Along with that, be sure to change the controller hookup emulation a nunchuck to a classic controller. That will let you use double analog sticks for movement plus camera. If you invert the camera controls, it gives you something very similar to your standard movement scheme for a lot of PS2/PS3 games.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 28, 2011

Chompers
Jun 29, 2006
did you include the xenoblade audio patch from this post in your build Filthy Monkey?:

http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?tid=14356&pid=169235#pid169235

jromano
Sep 24, 2007

Filthy Monkey posted:

Here you go. One libiomp5md.dll, straight from the redistributable.
http://www.mediafire.com/?0dj1gqyi6exurkk

I opened up the executable in dependency walker, and nothing else stood out to me, so I think you should be good to go now. Let me know if anything else is missing.

I've been using the ICC compiled SSE 4.2 version, and it seems solid. I was still getting the same crash that I was with other people's builds, but switching from xaudio to direct sound seems to have fixed it. It looks like there is some sort of audio queue problem in the code at the moment.

Seems good now! It seems slightly faster than the ICC rev 3.0 build I was using before.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

They don't have any patches, like I said. That patch specifically says that it messes with LLE in a bad way, and LLE is what I've been using.

Honestly, I mainly made the builds to see if the newest git head would get rid of my crashing. It didn't have any effect. The thing that fixed it was the switch from xaudio to dsound.

What sort of processor do people who are using the patched version have? I can probably make a build, but I would need to know whether or not I should be including intel based optimizations or not. I mean, I am using intel's compiler here.

Edit: Okay, I applied the patch to the newest git pull. Thankfully I didn't have to do any merging. I went with SSE2 here, as I figure some of the people who might be using this are on AMD processors.
ICC built x64 SSE2 dolphin with Xenoblade HLE patch v3

Also, this is definitely a JRPG alright. One of these things doesn't quite belong with the rest.
http://i.imgur.com/DO2Fs.jpg

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Aug 29, 2011

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Running on a Phenom II X4, and i'm getting slightly lower speeds out of that one than the standard v7714 release. Any idea why?

In Xenoblade I'm getting about 26fps instead of 30.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

TescoBag posted:

Running on a Phenom II X4, and i'm getting slightly lower speeds out of that one than the standard v7714 release. Any idea why?

In Xenoblade I'm getting about 26fps instead of 30.

The EU version is frame limited at 25/26fps for some retarded reason even tho the jap version is 30fps. There is a patch earlier in this thread to address that.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
PAL TVs run, by default, at 50Hz. However, the vast majority of Wii games - including Xenoblade - include a PAL60 mode that runs at 60Hz, so I'm not sure why Dolphin is even giving you the lower framerate on PAL games when 60Hz is available.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Tough for me to say. It is possible that one of ICC's optimizations doesn't play as well with AMD processors. It is possible that the developers might have added something which hurts speed between 7714 and the version I compiled. Hell, it is possible that poo poo like the automatic-parallelization might not be a good idea when compiling an emulator.

I could try compiling a version of it without some of the more experimental optimizations. It might end up being faster in the end.

It is tough for me to gauge speed myself, since I have a 2600k. Pretty much anything I try runs at 30 fps, even with using LLE. The only time I see the FPS counter show anything other than 30 or 31 fps is during loading screens.

Consider the builds I am making just options, really. If you are already running at full speed without problems on some other build, there is no real reason to switch. If you have slowdown or audio problems on other builds, maybe try mine.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

PAL TVs run, by default, at 50Hz. However, the vast majority of Wii games - including Xenoblade - include a PAL60 mode that runs at 60Hz

It should be noted that if you have an HDTV of any description, then there's no such thing as PAL or NTSC anymore. Hopefully the next generation of consoles will kill the differentiation off entirely.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Filthy Monkey posted:

Tough for me to say. It is possible that one of ICC's optimizations doesn't play as well with AMD processors. It is possible that the developers might have added something which hurts speed between 7714 and the version I compiled. Hell, it is possible that poo poo like the automatic-parallelization might not be a good idea when compiling an emulator.

I could try compiling a version of it without some of the more experimental optimizations. It might end up being faster in the end.

It is tough for me to gauge speed myself, since I have a 2600k. Pretty much anything I try runs at 30 fps, even with using LLE. The only time I see the FPS counter show anything other than 30 or 31 fps is during loading screens.

Consider the builds I am making just options, really. If you are already running at full speed without problems on some other build, there is no real reason to switch. If you have slowdown or audio problems on other builds, maybe try mine.

Well, xenoblade runs perfectly in v7714, but has the occasional audio issue during cutscenes.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Here is an icc compiled x64 sse2 build without the automatic-parallelization and interprocedural optimization. This includes the xenoblade patch, like before. This version probably shouldn't need that dll.
http://www.mediafire.com/?jt61a1e15owk9wh

Let me know if it is any faster for you. If it isn't, you may want to just avoid icc builds.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Aug 29, 2011

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Filthy Monkey posted:

Also, this is definitely a JRPG alright. One of these things doesn't quite belong with the rest.

Why doesn't she have the "Integrity" subtitle? That's just sexist :colbert:

e. I guess fighting in that would prove her courage, but. . .

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I must be retarded: how do I remap the controls to emulate a Classic Controller? I've had no issue using the CGPad options for Gamecube games, but I can't seem to get control for Xenoblade, which is the first Wii game I've tried emulating. Or do you just remap the Wiimote controls?

edit: Found it under "Extension" :doh:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 30, 2011

typhus
Apr 7, 2004

Fun Shoe

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I must be retarded: how do I remap the controls to emulate a Classic Controller? I've had no issue using the CGPad options for Gamecube games, but I can't seem to get control for Xenoblade, which is the first Wii game I've tried emulating. Or do you just remap the Wiimote controls?

Go into your Wiimote settings and select "Classic" under the Extension drop-down menu, then just set it up as you would the CGPad bindings. (Tripped me up too.)

efb

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Okay, I figured out why some of the ICC builds might be slower than VC++ builds for some people, and I can fix it.

There are some hand-coded SSE 3 and SSE 4 optimizations in dolphin's videocommon library. Whether or not these optimizations are compiled in is is determined by the _M_SSE preprocessor macro. Which code path taken is determined at runtime, so these are optimizations you should have in any dolphin build.

These optimizations are all compiled in automatically if you are compiling with VC++
code:
#elif _MSC_VER >= 1500 // Visual Studio 2008
#define _M_SSE 0x402
#endif
When the define is checked, all hand-coded optimizations with an SSE version less than or equal to the define value are included. So 0x402 includes them all. The define will not be automatically set in ICC, so none of the hand-coded optimizations will be compiled in.

I got curious about this because I had figured out a way to do speed testing, and lectrode's "r7676_L102_x64_ICC" build was coming up as slower than a stock VC++ build.

Somebody had asked lectrode whether or not he used that macro definition, and he said that he did not. I used it in my SSE 4.2 build (with arch set appropriately), but not in the SSE3 build, as I didn't understand exactly what it did. That precluded the hand-coded SSE3 optimizations from being included in the SSE3 build, which probably hurt speed.

Anyway, I know I've been spamming this thread with builds, but I'll have some new ones later today which should be tested and optimized accordingly. These should last for a while.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Aug 31, 2011

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
is this the appropriate thread, or is there another site that is good for specific Dolphin settings for particular games? for instance, i was trying to get Paper Mario to work last night, and it seems to be very fussy. at first the sound was quite choppy, then i fixed that, but there were tons of graphical glitches. any hints on good settings for that game? i've grabbed Filthy Monkey's sse4.2 build.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Okay, here are the new builds. These should last until dolphin gets an update with something interesting, provided I didn't screw anything up. All are built with the hand-coded SSE optimizations. Definitely grab one of these if you are using one of my non SSE4.2 builds from before.

All builds are x64, and have interprocedural optimization and optimized headers turned on. I tested the automatic parallelization and it didn't seem to offer any speedup, so I took it out.

VC++ SSE2 Reference Build
ICC SSE3
ICC SSE4.1
ICC SSE4.2

These builds have version 3.1 of Mylek's Xenoblade patch applied. Try them if you are using HLE for audio and are having problems. I didn't include a SSE4.2 build, as I figure if you have a processor that supports it you can probably run LLE. That, or just run the SSE4.1 version.
ICC SSE3
ICC SSE4.1

I did find a way to do some benchmarking, which is better than my educated guessing from before. In testing, I found that the ICC builds run around eight to ten percent faster than the VC++ build on my processor. The difference in performance between ICC versions compiled with different SSE instruction sets is minimal.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 31, 2011

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Filthy Monkey posted:

Anyway, I know I've been spamming this thread with builds, but I'll have some new ones later today which should be tested and optimized accordingly. These should last for a while.
I'll be on the lookout for this. I've been trying a lot of the various builds people have been posting and so far the fastest build I've gotten my hands on was xtreme's r7436M build based on this post: http://forums.dolphin-emulator.com/showthread.php?pid=168427#pid168427

Although I did add in the lock on thread option. I still need to try Lectrode's r7668 based on another post as that has the audio hack built into it, but I haven't gotten to it just yet. ICCs have always been terrible lately when I tried them - it'd be nice to get a good one for once.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

For people with audio skipping problems, one of my suggestions would be to use an unpatched build, and to try disabling idle skipping under the general configuration. If I have idle skipping checked with HLE, the opening cinematic with the titans fighting skips audio like you wouldn't believe. If idle skipping is off, it plays fine using HLE. This is with frame skipping set to off, and audio-throttle checked.

Edit: Oh god, some of the main producers of builds on their forums seem to have no idea what they are doing. It is like this emulator is the only thing they've ever compiled before, and even the simplest problems throw them for loops. The last guy doing ICC builds was taken out for months because he couldn't figure out how to resolve an unresolved external linker error.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 1, 2011

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Rascyc posted:

ICCs have always been terrible lately when I tried them - it'd be nice to get a good one for once.
Spending some time on their forums, I am starting to see why. A lot of the people who have been providing builds seem like they have no idea what they are doing. It is like this emulator is the only thing they've ever compiled before, and even the simplest problems throw them for a loop. The main guy providing (slow) ICC builds was taken out for months because he couldn't figure out how to resolve a simple unresolved external linker error. The guy with recent VC++ builds seems to get very confused with his jargon, and definitely doesn't seem to know much of anything related to coding.

I mean, they seem like nice dudes, and have been providing builds for far longer than I am likely to, but gently caress. I guess I just expected a little more competence from the main build producers.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 1, 2011

Megalixir
Nov 10, 2007

Vanillaware ltd.
Forgive me if this has been covered, but I've noticed a few claiming to run Xenoblade at 50+ FPS. Mine runs at a locked 30fps (with patch applied), I know my PC is more than capable of running this at a higher framerate. What are you guys doing to run it above 30?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Well, if you turn off the frame limit and audio throttle, you can let the game speed run unbounded. I did that for testing build speed. The game runs faster than normal like that though, so you probably wouldn't want to use those settings to actually play.

30 fps is it, really.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Filthy Monkey posted:

You forgot to mention that there's just as much male swimwear available in the game as female. In fact, Dunban rocks out hardcore when oiled up (no, seriously - there's a variety of oils equippable as armor) and in his swim trunks. Gender equality saves the day!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Filthy Monkey posted:

These builds have version 3.1 of Mylek's Xenoblade patch applied. Try them if you are using HLE for audio and are having problems. I didn't include a SSE4.2 build, as I figure if you have a processor that supports it you can probably run LLE. That, or just run the SSE4.1 version.
ICC SSE3
ICC SSE4.1

I did find a way to do some benchmarking, which is better than my educated guessing from before. In testing, I found that the ICC builds run around eight to ten percent faster than the VC++ build on my processor. The difference in performance between ICC versions compiled with different SSE instruction sets is minimal.

I'm confused. I'm using the SSE4.1 build above, but Xenoblade still seems to be limited to 25FPS. Do I need to patch the iso as well?

edit: Nevermind, I got Gyoru's PAL patch and the audio patch mixed up. Everything working great.

Papercut fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 3, 2011

Black Frost
Jul 27, 2011

I'm Black Frost, Ho!
I'm having trouble installing Dolphin. I've tried both r7719 and 3.0, after extracting through 7-Zip I try to run the exe and it says VCOMP100.dll is missing. I assume my downloads getting corrupted somehow but I've tried this a few times with the same result. Any help?

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Black Frost posted:

I'm having trouble installing Dolphin. I've tried both r7719 and 3.0, after extracting through 7-Zip I try to run the exe and it says VCOMP100.dll is missing. I assume my downloads getting corrupted somehow but I've tried this a few times with the same result. Any help?

You have to install some external software. Here: http://www.dolphin-emulator.com/faq.html

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
That's a Visual Studio DLL. This should fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Frost
Jul 27, 2011

I'm Black Frost, Ho!
Ohhh okay, thanks for the links. I figured it was related to the download link they had or something. Just got Xenoblade Chronicles up and running, looks great.

• Locked thread