Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Conduit for Sale! posted:

So I'm watching episode 34 (where Yang reaches Iserlohn) and there's something I don't get. The Imperial fleet is advancing on the retreating fleet containing Yang, and Yang executes "Formation D" (a giant ring). The Imperial commander says to break through, turn around and counterattack from the outside. He's told this isn't possible because "the enemy is fully occupying the useable space of the Corridor."

What? I understand they can only warp through navigation corridors, but surely they can move normally outside of those corridors? Am I missing something or is there no other reason other than the plot needed it to be that way?

You'll see this in action much later but the space outside the corridor pretty much will destroy ships trying to enter it so it is essentially a tunnel with physical boundaries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Yeah its mainly a plot device to give an analog of how wars and physical terrain interact. Its a pretty old sci-fi trope, to be honest.

Isn't the two sides of the galaxy in this supposed to be in different arms of the milky way? If so I imagine its supposed to be the supermassive blackhole(s?) at the center of the milkyway, assuming they know about that back then. Not that ACTUAL blackholes would create anything like a corridor, but hey its an anime, not a science lesson.

If space opera obeyed physics, most of the ship scenes would have the inhabitants floating helplessly around the ship. Which I contend would make everything better.

*spock floats helplessly past captain kirk trying to catch the bubble of coffee before it messes up the computers*

duck monster fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Aug 28, 2011

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

duck monster posted:

If space opera obeyed physics, most of the ship scenes would have the inhabitants floating helplessly around the ship. Which I contend would make everything better.

Nah, the ships would just look different and be designed to generate gravity by rotation.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

duck monster posted:

Isn't the two sides of the galaxy in this supposed to be in different arms of the milky way? If so I imagine its supposed to be the supermassive blackhole(s?) at the center of the milkyway, assuming they know about that back then. Not that ACTUAL blackholes would create anything like a corridor, but hey its an anime, not a science lesson.

Two different but neighboring spiral arms. The Empire is found in the Orion Arm while the Free Planets Alliance is located in the Sagittarius Arm. Both are still in the same general region of the galaxy.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
FTL travel in LOGH seems to work largely by some sort of star-to-star relay travel. They can only "jump" between proximate stars via warp or whatever. So moving between the arms is normally difficult due to lack of nearby stars spanning the two arms, other than the two "corridors" which are apparently home to active stars while surrounded by black holes and nebulae and other interstellar troubles.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Nah, the ships would just look different and be designed to generate gravity by rotation.

Yeah. Artificial gravity is more or a less a cop out so they can design the ships the way they like without having to worry about how the design would reflect a rotational gravity model.

I was already pretty pleased with the idea that Empire ships will land on a loving planet but that Free Worlds use drop ships because their ships aren't designed for it. You can see the difference in military philosophy from it pretty good.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I just plowed through this series in five days or so and it was amazing.

The fight aboard the Brunhild near the end was absurd though. Reinhard demands that the republicans fight all the way to his chambers to prove that they are worthy and willing to fight for their cause, but as far as I can remember the only time Reinhard personally does anything is in flashbacks. In one, he shoots a gun out of a guy's hand, and in the other, he hits a noble in the back with a stick. Even his sister cracks some cultist's skull with a priceless piece of art, but all Reinhard ever does is order people around. Maybe Julian racks up a body count enough for both.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess you could say that the prequels went into that a bit; they're full of Reinhard and Kircheis getting poo poo done on their own, since of course they had little to no power when they first entered the military.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Pandub posted:

I have been looking for a new series to watch for a long time now. The last series that I watched all the way through was Turn A Gundam over a year ago. That series was so fantastic that I have been unable to find something worth watching ever since...starting and failing to complete many different series because they just don't have the long-term appeal for me once they get going.

I was turned on to this series via the ADTRW FAQ and started watching it tonight. I just finished the first movie and really enjoyed it, so much that I am about to start the second one. So far it looks to be a winner! If it gets its hooks in me, and excites me like Turn A did as I watched that, I will probably be looking for some lively discussion. Well, enough typing...I have a whole other movie to watch before I fall asleep tonight!

If Turn-A Gundam turned you off of anime for a year then after LOGH you will never be able to watch anything ever again.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Under 15 posted:

I just plowed through this series in five days or so and it was amazing.

The fight aboard the Brunhild near the end was absurd though. Reinhard demands that the republicans fight all the way to his chambers to prove that they are worthy and willing to fight for their cause, but as far as I can remember the only time Reinhard personally does anything is in flashbacks. In one, he shoots a gun out of a guy's hand, and in the other, he hits a noble in the back with a stick. Even his sister cracks some cultist's skull with a priceless piece of art, but all Reinhard ever does is order people around. Maybe Julian racks up a body count enough for both.

The prequels definately answer your question. I did like that ending as although that definately was a dick move, it seemed like Reinhard wanted to even the scale allowing the outnumbered and outmatched enemy forces and opportunity to seize the change they wanted.

As the prequels show, at the beginning of Reinhard's career, he and Kircheis were constantly outnumbered and surrounded by insurmountable odds. It's only through their own personal abilities, dumb luck and coming out on top of a lot of bad situations that they were able to succeed. Reinhard just set it up that those with the most able will continue to rule

It also seemed like a continuation of the original battle between Yang and Reinhard. Yang beats Reinhard and is just able to deliver the coup de grace when his own government holds him back. Julian and Yang's team just continue that scenario.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
So far I am 2 movies and 3 episodes into the series and I am enjoying it...for the most part. I have one major issue with what I have seen so far and that is the voice acting. They are engaged in these battles that inolve tens of thousands of ships and hundreds of thousands of lives are being lost...yet none of the characters speak with any sense of urgency in their voices. They all speak with the same muted tone all the time. I could expect this from maybe calm and collected commanders, but even the fighter pilots speak in the same tone.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The commanders will get plenty heated from time to time, but really you have to understand that space is...well, pretty big, and it takes a long time not only for the ships to actually move about but even for their orders to be processed down the line and make a difference. Plus the battles can last days. Even a 100,000 soldiers is a drop in the bucket when the commander is dealing with 30,000,000 other bodies. So, ultimately, getting worked up wouldn't really help matters.

As for the fighter pilots, we only really get acclimated with a few and Konev and Poplan in particular might not be the best indicators of the rest since they are pretty chill guys in general. I do feel that in LOGH you get a kind of pessimistic/fatalistic vibe from a lot of the common soldiers though, who recognize that there is no point in getting worked up when whether they live or die largely depends upon external factors such as commanders immense distances away.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
It's starting to seem like Reinhard and Siegfried may be more than just friends and may be romantically involved. There have been plenty of "longing" and affectionate looks given between the two. Of course, it could just be a case of "hobbit love" like Sam and Frodo where they acted like lovers but weren't...we shall see.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pandub posted:

It's starting to seem like Reinhard and Siegfried may be more than just friends and may be romantically involved. There have been plenty of "longing" and affectionate looks given between the two. Of course, it could just be a case of "hobbit love" like Sam and Frodo where they acted like lovers but weren't...we shall see.

They are space bros. If anything it's a vaguely homoerotic (not homosexual love) relationship you see in other major nautical works, most importantly moby dick.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Sorry, Reinhard is too busy having the hots for his sister, to be interested in a homosexual romance. Seriously though, its just a very close friendship. Just because someone is in a close relationship doesn't mean they have sexual feelings for each other.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

DamnGlitch posted:

They are space bros. If anything it's a vaguely homoerotic (not homosexual love) relationship you see in other major nautical works, most importantly moby dick.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Pretty sure they're just best ultimate friends ever. Just because two dudes enjoy each other's company a lot and get along really loving well doesn't mean they want to do it in da butt.

Especially since we know both have lady crushes.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Zorak posted:

Pretty sure they're just best ultimate friends ever. Just because two dudes enjoy each other's company a lot and get along really loving well doesn't mean they want to do it in da butt.

Especially since we know both have lady crushes.

They're totally just space-bros. Not that there's anything wrong with the other option.

Was Kircheis & Reinhard's Sister a two-way street? I thought Kircheis didn't know he was being seriously crushed on

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Maxwells Demon posted:

Was Kircheis & Reinhard's Sister a two-way street? I thought Kircheis didn't know he was being seriously crushed on

Kircheis totally had a crush on Reinhard's sister. It was plain obvious. I think it was more that neither knew that the other appreciated each other that way. They both kind of orbited around Reinhard in their own ways and appreciated each other in that sense, but I get the feeling the love thing went unstated for both of them.

0x0hShit
Mar 11, 2011
I started this show about a few weeks back and have been pretty casually strolling through it. It's good Sci-Fi, but it's more then that - it's a actually a good story. Sure, going into it I totally expected to enjoy watching the Reinhard's space Nazis blitzkrieg'ing in battle cruisers and that hasn't disappointed one bit. What did shock me was how compelling the Yang/Free Planets stuff has been so far. Also the musical score is just beautiful with it's use of classics.

But damnit, at episode 25/26 now... I read many of the spoilers in this thread, so I already knew about Yang, but the Kircheis bit was unexpected. :smith: It pretty much dumped my expectations for how the rest of the series will go on it's rear end, which is a great thing for any story to do. I guess all I have really to say about it is that More people should watch Legend of Galactic Heroes.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
Yeah I started to catch on that Seig might be having the hots for the sister, but still he gave those long looks to Reinhard....so it had me thinking some rather twisted thoughts along the lines of, "Well, he does look like his sister, maybe he is projecting his affection for her onto him"...

Watching episode 7 now...just saw the Rosen-Ritter do their thing. They are the badass SEAL types. A group of 3 or 4 taking out 50 enemy? "We are the Rosen-Ritter! You're no match for us." Oh yeah, that's how you walk into a room! I hope to see more of these guys.

PyPy fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 31, 2011

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Ah, the Rosen-Ritter; I likened the LoGH universe to a friend as a down-to-earth gritty universe with the occasional Level 5 Fighter. Does this sound about accurate?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

ChaosSamusX posted:

Ah, the Rosen-Ritter; I likened the LoGH universe to a friend as a down-to-earth gritty universe with the occasional Level 5 Fighter. Does this sound about accurate?

The Rosen-Ritter aren't invincible, they're just famous due to their background and training. Aside from Reinhard and Seigfried in the prequels, everybody seems pretty human to me.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Wow, the change in style in episode 37 is pretty dramatic. I figured a 110 episode show that was released over 9 years would probably change a bit over time, but not all at once.

And I think I liked it better before, honestly. It looks a bit too much like a Disney movie now.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Wow, the change in style in episode 37 is pretty dramatic. I figured a 110 episode show that was released over 9 years would probably change a bit over time, but not all at once.

And I think I liked it better before, honestly. It looks a bit too much like a Disney movie now.

It's an OVA so it was released in chunks.

I only notice quality changes when I go back, and thats because the walk sequences from the early episodes are loving ridiculous.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
I just finished up episode 17. The show pretty much has its claws around me now, and I am really enjoying it.

As for recent developments:

Alliance: The Alliance is proving to be quite incompetent in battles so far. The only reason they still have any ships is because of Yang. This Job Trunicht guy seems like trouble. His scheming with the Alliance invasion of the Empire benefiting him politically leaves a bad taste in my mouth. He basically used 20 million human lives to further his own political career. Now Julian is in the armed services. So far, this character annoys me. He seems to bring very little to the table. To be honest I though Julian was a girl for a very long time until someone around episode 10 used a masculine pronoun to refer to him. Maybe with him being in the military now his character will develop a bit more and bring me around on him.

Empire: Talk about random: "Oh by the way guys, the Emperor just died." And am I the only one who while watching this show is having trouble remembering who is who in the Empire? I keep getting the names Littenheim and Lichtenlade confused. These German names do not make easy.

And finally, now a religious cult is emerging. I have a feeling that terrorism can not be far behind.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Pandub posted:

I just finished up episode 17. The show pretty much has its claws around me now, and I am really enjoying it.

Alliance: The Alliance is proving to be quite incompetent in battles so far. The only reason they still have any ships is because of Yang. This Job Trunicht guy seems like trouble. His scheming with the Alliance invasion of the Empire benefiting him politically leaves a bad taste in my mouth. He basically used 20 million human lives to further his own political career. Now Julian is in the armed services. So far, this character annoys me. He seems to bring very little to the table. To be honest I though Julian was a girl for a very long time until someone around episode 10 used a masculine pronoun to refer to him. Maybe with him being in the military now his character will develop a bit more and bring me around on him.

Empire: Talk about random: "Oh by the way guys, the Emperor just died." And am I the only one who while watching this show is having trouble remembering who is who in the Empire? I keep getting the names Littenheim and Lichtenlade confused. These German names do not make easy.

And finally, now a religious cult is emerging. I have a feeling that terrorism can not be far behind.

now think of how jaded you'd be about this if it didn't come out way way WAY before 9/11? It is eerily, disgustingly prescient.

You'll get to know the Empire side names in time.

chelsea clinton
Sep 16, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DamnGlitch posted:

now think of how jaded you'd be about this if it didn't come out way way WAY before 9/11? It is eerily, disgustingly prescient.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same. :v:

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.

Pandub posted:

Terraism :eng101:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Religious terrorism is as old as dirt. It may not have been at the front of everyone's mind before 9/11, but anyone remotely interested in, well, the world would be intimately familiar with it for the last half century at least.

And honestly, the depiction of religious extremism is the most stupid and shallow part of LoGH. I mean, you can look at the big picture and see people being unreasonably violent for apparently petty reasons and... yeah, if you squint, that might look the kind of like real religious extremism looks to the nonbeliever. But it just doesn't work that way.

The robes and torches, the purely evil masterminds, and the purely mindless followers... The whole thing was a cartoon, which was incredibly jarring and inappropriate in this of all shows.

If anyone could make any sense of how they're supposed to be at all believable or interesting, I'd love to hear it, as to me they're the one downright idiotic part of this otherwise perfect show, and it'd be nice if I was just missing something about them.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Eiba posted:

Religious terrorism is as old as dirt. It may not have been at the front of everyone's mind before 9/11, but anyone remotely interested in, well, the world would be intimately familiar with it for the last half century at least.

And honestly, the depiction of religious extremism is the most stupid and shallow part of LoGH. I mean, you can look at the big picture and see people being unreasonably violent for apparently petty reasons and... yeah, if you squint, that might look the kind of like real religious extremism looks to the nonbeliever. But it just doesn't work that way.

The robes and torches, the purely evil masterminds, and the purely mindless followers... The whole thing was a cartoon, which was incredibly jarring and inappropriate in this of all shows.

If anyone could make any sense of how they're supposed to be at all believable or interesting, I'd love to hear it, as to me they're the one downright idiotic part of this otherwise perfect show, and it'd be nice if I was just missing something about them.

Some amount of religious hokey crap accompanies all cult and cult-like organizations. It's how they sell themselves to people in a way; the more divergent it is from reality (TORCH AND ROBES CRAP), the more "catchy" it can see. It's why there's a lot of adopted for "new age religions" and dumb cults that talk about flashy concepts and notions that are stupid to a degree that it makes the "old religions" look really really good by comparison.

They're not "purely evil masterminds", they're just greedy dicks manipulating the system around them. It's no different than the politicians of the EPA and the old nobles of the Reich. It's all about absolute power and making sure they are part of the absolute power. It's not like they were out for genocide and cackling and screaming about everything; they're after an end of "we're the boss" basically.

Also, the mindless followers was limited really to a small heavy religious clique, and given how a lot of cults worked in the past, that's not really that surprising. The Branch Dividians, the Jonestown commune, Heavens Gate, Aum Shinrikyo, even Scientology hell, these organizations isolate and deliberately manipulate their membership such that they are utterly dependent on the organization, and their own "out" from life is utter faith in it. Essentially, devotion becomes instinctual and unquestioning when all other connections and paths are removed from members psyches. They are zealots because there is no other option to them, and so they walk the path without personal inhibition. And since they believe unquestionably that death will serve them well in the end, why not sacrifice yourself?

Honestly, Terraism gives an interesting background faction to the plot I found. It really wouldn't have worked without them.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
I thought it was more a commentary (like most of the series) about the history and temperment of man. There will always be men who believe in things which seem crazy to others and they will use any means, even violence, to get their message across.

I'm not even talking about post 9/11 but think our history of beliefs (not even just religious ones but say communism, marxism etc). There are always going to be people who hold on to their beliefs and ideals to such a stage where they will try to convert others around them through violence.

The robe and the torches were a bit over the top though I didn't think the masterminds were just 'pure evil', just extremely convicted in their beliefs.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eiba posted:

I wasn't talking about religious fundamentalists, although it is a good theme of terrorism loving things up for everyone. I was thinking more about the pointless war led by politicians who have actively avoided service, calling for patriotism, eroding of democratic ideals.

I dunno it was striking to me anyway when I watched it. The terraists were kinda silly but I liked the idea behind it at least that Earth, which is out of the way and not in any way a central hub would resort to terrorism to continue to shape galactic affairs is pretty slick. Some of how they portrayed them was pretty heavy handed though.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
This series just kicked it up a notch. Melee combat with axes in a space setting! :black101:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Hm, Downloaded the first movie to see if I'd be interested, now I'd like to just get the torrent running and let it run while I'm laying around instead of manually clicking through the other download links in the OP, but the torrents link in the OP seems to be broken.

Anyone have a current torrent link to everything?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I thought it was updated, but the torrent link should actually be:

http://www.bakabt.com/browse.php?q=legend+galactic+heroes

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
They keep on taking it up and down, it's sort of odd.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Nate RFB posted:

I thought it was updated, but the torrent link should actually be:

http://www.bakabt.com/browse.php?q=legend+galactic+heroes

This one says "Advanced browsing is not available for unregistered members".

Registering there won't flood my email with a ton of poo poo I'm not even remotely interested in, will it (will it actually cost me anything)?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Naw, bakabt is pretty low key, I don't recall any downside to registering there at all. They want you to keep your dl ratio up (at some unspecified number) but it's almost absurdly easy to do that and hasn't even remotely been a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Torrents there tend to get swapped rather often for 'better quality' ones. And there is apparently a somewhat rigorous approval process for new torrents / replacement torrents, so I wouldn't be surprised if it disappeared on occasion.