Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Chrome has AdBlock Plus, but it's not very functional compared to what I hear the FireFox one is. There is extensive work being done on the relevant Chrome APIs so they'll soon be as functional, I assume. That being said, AdBlock Plus blocks just about every ad I come across so "less functional" doesn't mean "waste of time".

There is no search bar in Chrome, just the omnibar which is both URL and search. The keyboard command is Cmd-L.

I'm not going to sell Chrome to anyone because to each their own, but I use it and it's very snappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

gnrk posted:

First result on Google for "adblock for safari" is...

http://safariadblock.com/

Click2Flash is useful too, but I'm sure you can find it. I like Safari because it's integrated with OS X a little more than Chrome (especially in Lion), but the two are both WebKit browsers and thus, very similar.

As to applications being essential or not, what is essential for a graphic designer isn't essential for your average user. In that sense, I'm not sure what you're asking about. If this is your first Apple computer, I'd recommend using your computer with what's installed and find a different application when you come across an unfulfilled need.

Yeah sorry, been a really loving long day and weekend and I could have probably tried researching more poo poo on my own. I've been using a macbook for a couple of years now as my home PC every day use thing. Nothing special just casual use.

I think I'm just more in the mindset of "hey got my OS updated I wonder if there are any cool things I should try out while I'm at it"

BUt like I said, I"m a casual user, day to day use, etc

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I use GlimmerBocker. It's a pref pane, so it works on all browsers. The only pain about this is that you can't just type "google" in the URL bar of the browsers anymore, you have to type at least "google.com".

Yargh
Jan 12, 2008
ok.
I've done what I can, but I'm so lost, I don't know where else to get an answer.

New to Macs, OSX is Snow Leopard. Any browser I use, I have the same problem: New tabs open up, usually something like https://www.google-analytics.com which then redirects to mevio or wordslife or some poo poo. When searching on Google, hovering over a link (ex en.wikipedia.org) shows, at the bottom of Chrome, that it's not going to that path, but some line of jargon/redirect. I feel it's a trojan, but everything I've done doesn't help. And by "done", I mean "cleared DNS and ran that trojan finder App".

I kind of have no idea what's going on; help please?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Let's say I have 5 email accounts set up in Mail, but I only want 1 or 2 of them to count for the new mail notification thing in the dock. Any way to do this? Or maybe have one account show up as another colour or something?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yargh posted:

I've done what I can, but I'm so lost, I don't know where else to get an answer.

New to Macs, OSX is Snow Leopard. Any browser I use, I have the same problem: New tabs open up, usually something like https://www.google-analytics.com which then redirects to mevio or wordslife or some poo poo. When searching on Google, hovering over a link (ex en.wikipedia.org) shows, at the bottom of Chrome, that it's not going to that path, but some line of jargon/redirect. I feel it's a trojan, but everything I've done doesn't help. And by "done", I mean "cleared DNS and ran that trojan finder App".

I kind of have no idea what's going on; help please?

From some Googling, it looks like you may be one of the lucky few who have a trojan on your system, specifically Trojan.OSX.DNSChanger.B.

What "trojan finder app" did you run? Was it legit?
You can try downloading some removal software like http://www.iantivirus.com (site is run by pctools/symantec) or the DNSChanger removal tool.

Let me know if that finds anything, I'm kinda curious to what bug you have.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Chrome has AdBlock Plus, but it's not very functional compared to what I hear the FireFox one is. There is extensive work being done on the relevant Chrome APIs so they'll soon be as functional, I assume. That being said, AdBlock Plus blocks just about every ad I come across so "less functional" doesn't mean "waste of time".

There is no search bar in Chrome, just the omnibar which is both URL and search. The keyboard command is Cmd-L.

I'm not going to sell Chrome to anyone because to each their own, but I use it and it's very snappy.
I've been using Chrome ever since it came out and it's easily my favorite browser. It's not perfect, but it does everything I need it to do and does it well. I use AdBlock Plus and I can't even remember the last time I saw an ad. That combined with flashblock cleans every single page usually riddled with ads. Love it.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jan 18, 2019

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
For those of you who use multiple browsers over the course of a day: Installing adblock on every browser can be a huge pain in the rear end, especially since they vary in functionality and coverage.

I use Privoxy. It's a content-stripping proxy server. It works well, sits in the background and has a nice interface for configuring it -- right in your browser!

The nice thing about it is that it's not my browser that has to inject JS into every page load, then strip out ads based on some regex. Plus you can do neat proxy-like things, like returning specific headers, eating cookies, etc.

I personally use the one from Homebrew, but the one on their homepage has a nice little System Preference pane and some commands to help start/stop/restart it without having to get your hands dirty in the terminal.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

McFunkerson posted:

If you guys head on over to the AppleTV Thread I've posted a bunch of promo codes for Magic Media Marker. (Converting/Metadata tagging videos for iTunes/iDevices)

I'm trying the newest update now (haven't had a chance to try it for a little while) but with the new initial launch screen and options for encoding tags into the video file it looks pretty much perfect to me. There's only one silly minor thing I might suggest - maybe put a light colored border around the icon? I use List view on my Applications folder in the dock and the icon doesn't really stand out much against the background.

(This is an incredibly minor quibble and in no way has anything to do with how the app works, which is fantastic.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Looks like 10.6.8 might not be the end for Snow Leopard.

The update will presumably bring some level of iCloud support to Snow Leopard, though likely not full support for the service, based on their statement of 'some features' requiring Lion.

Chicago Death Rate
Jul 23, 2001

by Ralp
I got my MBP about a month ago with 10.6.7 and bootcamp assistant 3.0.4. I just received my copy of Windows 7 Pro from amazon. Thing is I dont have any internet for personal computers. Am I going to have any issues creating the partition and installing Windows without being able to connect to the web?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Nope, Snow Leopard has all of the drivers on the system restore CD. You won't have the latest drivers or updates, but you should be able to install just fine without an Internet connection. Hopefully your Windows 7 disc is at least SP1. I imagine it would be.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

For anyone curious: I upgraded to Lion and full screen RDP still works fine.

Well as fine as it ever did. The Microsoft RDP client still hangs on occasion and requires me to kill the process but performs better than CoRD while CoRD also crashes but at least does so more gracefully.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

low-key-taco posted:

For anyone curious: I upgraded to Lion and full screen RDP still works fine.

Well as fine as it ever did. The Microsoft RDP client still hangs on occasion and requires me to kill the process but performs better than CoRD while CoRD also crashes but at least does so more gracefully.
RDP seems like a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario. Sad, since there is an official client. I lean more toward CoRD lately, but I'll be damned if it's not frustrating sometimes, especially when you're dealing with production machines...

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Pretty much. Unfortunately I've never found a better way to control multiple machines from my mac. VNC is way too slow for anything at length.

YO MAMA HEAD
Sep 11, 2007

IUG posted:

I use GlimmerBocker. It's a pref pane, so it works on all browsers. The only pain about this is that you can't just type "google" in the URL bar of the browsers anymore, you have to type at least "google.com".

I use GlimmerBlocker too and have lately gotten addicted to blocking each CSS element I don't want to see. I'm sure there's some slowdown but I don't mind waiting a few microseconds to hide half of the Facebook UI

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

YO MAMA HEAD posted:

I use GlimmerBlocker too and have lately gotten addicted to blocking each CSS element I don't want to see. I'm sure there's some slowdown but I don't mind waiting a few microseconds to hide half of the Facebook UI

Just the other day I realized I could block the entire Youtube sidebar. It's glorious, a clean page of the videos from my subscriptions, and no paid sponsorships or "TOP YOUTUBE SUPER TOP SUPERSTARS!!!"

gregday
May 23, 2003

Attention Developers:

iTunes 6.1 beta is in the dev portal with iTunes Match. Looks like we'll have to go ahead and sign up for the $24.95/12 months to use it, but developers will get an extra 3 months for their efforts.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
Anyone having weird overlap issues in Mail.app?

It doesn't happen on all e-mails. It seems like only from our help desk tracking system, but it's annoying.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

gregday posted:

Attention Developers:

iTunes 6.1 beta is in the dev portal with iTunes Match. Looks like we'll have to go ahead and sign up for the $24.95/12 months to use it, but developers will get an extra 3 months for their efforts.

Sucks you have to have a library under 25000 songs. Trying to figure out the best way to divide my 62000 songs.
:-(

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I just got an IR remote setup on my mac. Is it possible to set it up to open something other than front row or whatever it's called? I'd love to be able to have it open Boxee instead.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

unruly posted:

Anyone having weird overlap issues in Mail.app?

It doesn't happen on all e-mails. It seems like only from our help desk tracking system, but it's annoying.

Is it an html email? Or is that actually in the header area of Mail?

Without much ado
Feb 11, 2006

Frozen-Solid posted:

I just got an IR remote setup on my mac. Is it possible to set it up to open something other than front row or whatever it's called? I'd love to be able to have it open Boxee instead.

I've not used Boxee, but with Plex there is a preference that allows you to capture the IR remote. If Boxee doesn't have that option I think there are some third party apps that can do that sort of thing, but I have no experience with them so I can't really address that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Question for the Mac people, anyone try the "noatime" trick? It basically prevents writing out the last access time (so it doesn't write when it's just reading), but in the Linux world where this seemed to originate there doesn't seem to be many things that actually depend on that. I'm wondering if anything in OS X depends on it or if it just does its own thing with extended attributes or some other trick.

pipebomb posted:

Sucks you have to have a library under 25000 songs. Trying to figure out the best way to divide my 62000 songs.
:-(
I thought some leak before indicated that you could buy more capacity and increase the iTunes Match limit...then again that was probably iCloud alone.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

gregday posted:

Attention Developers:

Is this just for iOS or can mac developers access this too?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Without much ado posted:

I've not used Boxee, but with Plex there is a preference that allows you to capture the IR remote. If Boxee doesn't have that option I think there are some third party apps that can do that sort of thing, but I have no experience with them so I can't really address that.

Boxee works with the remote once it's open. The problem is I want to be able to start it up with the remote too. Hiting menu just opens the default mac crap.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
Two questions: does anyone know if Omni Group's software goes on sale ever? I was looking at OmniPlan, but holy poo poo, $200.

Second question: anyone else having an issue in Lion where your bluetooth mouse isn't recognized on startup? When that account screen shows up, I have to use a USB mouse to click the account and then I can use my bluetooth mouse after I log in.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

TheState posted:

Second question: anyone else having an issue in Lion where your bluetooth mouse isn't recognized on startup? When that account screen shows up, I have to use a USB mouse to click the account and then I can use my bluetooth mouse after I log in.
Are you using FileVault? I notice this with FileVault enabled (because the login happens before the OS is loaded), but with it turned off, no trouble with my magic trackpad. I can't remember the last time OmniGroup had a sale.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

pipebomb posted:

Is it an html email? Or is that actually in the header area of Mail?
That's actually the header area of the e-mail. It doesn't seem to matter if the e-mail is HTML or Plain Text.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I wish Active Directory binding worked correctly in Lion. I've been having a lot of trouble setting it up on a number of machines; a bunch connected after I found some workarounds, but now I have at least a couple which are giving me trouble and won't connect to the authentication server.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
What is the performance hit people have noticed while using FileVault?

I like the idea of using it, since I have a laptop and do occasionally take it places (notably on vacation), but it's an early 2009 white macbook so we're not talking about the most powerful machine to deal with taking a performance hit.

Lion seems to be running fine and dandy right now, maybe even faster than Leopard did before (I did get a 7200 RPM drive to replace the original drive at the same time I upgraded though, so hard to tell what affects the possible speed increase the most).

Levitate fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Aug 30, 2011

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
All this encryption talk has got me thinking....

My current process is to back up my Lion iMac and all external drives to both Time Machine and CrashPlan. As far as I can tell, my CrashPlan data is encrypted, but my iMac and Time Machine are not. I'm pretty sure I can use FileVault to do this.

Am I correct?
Are there certain steps I should follow?
Will everything continue to function as is? I want to make sure I retain my incremental backups, every hour, etc.

Thanks for the help!

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

wolffenstein posted:

Are you using FileVault? I notice this with FileVault enabled (because the login happens before the OS is loaded), but with it turned off, no trouble with my magic trackpad. I can't remember the last time OmniGroup had a sale.

I am using FileVault. That's really weird.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

dexter6 posted:

My current process is to back up my Lion iMac and all external drives to both Time Machine and CrashPlan. As far as I can tell, my CrashPlan data is encrypted, but my iMac and Time Machine are not. I'm pretty sure I can use FileVault to do this.

Am I correct?
Will everything continue to function as is? I want to make sure I retain my incremental backups, every hour, etc.

Thanks for the help!
Time Machine can only be encrypted if it is physically connected to the machine, FileVault encryption doesn't work with removable drives.

Levitate posted:

What is the performance hit people have noticed while using FileVault?

I like the idea of using it, since I have a laptop and do occasionally take it places (notably on vacation), but it's an early 2009 white macbook so we're not talking about the most powerful machine to deal with taking a performance hit.

Lion seems to be running fine and dandy right now, maybe even faster than Leopard did before (I did get a 7200 RPM drive to replace the original drive at the same time I upgraded though, so hard to tell what affects the possible speed increase the most).
I don't think you'll see much, if any, performance hit with FileVault enabled. The process is seamless and much better than in the past. I regularly play games like TF2 with it on and that runs fine.

unruly fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 30, 2011

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Chrome under OSX is acting a bit strange lately. Some pages take a while to load. For instances, image-heavy pages on SA are taking a lot longer than they did to load the images. Also on youtube, video thumbnails just aren't loading.

I've tried the same pages in Safari and it works fine. Googling suggests Adblock Pro might cause this kind of thing, but disabling it made no difference.

Any ideas?

edit: used the page inspector to track down the problem. The 'smooth gestures' extension I had installed has recently updated and started injected a URL when the page renders. Some are calling it tantamount to spyware. I dunno how malicious it was intended to be, but it was slowing everything down. Mystery solved.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 30, 2011

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
^^ cool its pissflaps

TheState posted:

I am using FileVault. That's really weird.
I don't know enough about EFI and FileVault, but it's likely Bluetooth isn't yet turned on when the Mac is at the FileVault login screen. Maybe Apple can fix that in an update. I have extended AppleCare on my iMac; I might just call and ask.

dexter6 posted:

Am I correct?

Thanks for the help!
Yes you can use FileVault to do this. Be sure to read CrashPlan's FileVault and Time Machine articles for full details, but you shouldn't have to do anything special to get CrashPlan working with FileVault enabled.

You can encrypt external disks using Terminal.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

TheState posted:

I have to use a USB mouse to click the account and then I can use my bluetooth mouse after I log in.

You can use the arrow keys and enter to select the account on the login screen. Or, you could switch the login screen to a user name prompt and just tab between the fields. I prefer the latter because its harder for someone to 'hack' into my laptop if they dont even know where to start on username.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

mayodreams posted:

You can use the arrow keys and enter to select the account on the login screen. Or, you could switch the login screen to a user name prompt and just tab between the fields. I prefer the latter because its harder for someone to 'hack' into my laptop if they dont even know where to start on username.

Mine won't let me use the arrow keys, either. I definitely tried when my mouse didn't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I don't suppose anyone knows of a version of MacFUSE that works with Lion? I posted in this thread shortly after Lion came out and found out that sshfs wasn't working because MacFUSE didn't work with it. I got told of a link to a newer version, but that still doesn't work fully, I can see the files but can't upload.

I don't know if this is because of MacFUSE or sshfs. Can anyone help at all?