Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoozeallday
Sep 9, 2010

tell him all your problems . . . he's fucking awesome with listening

Thoogsby posted:

Okay, so I'm trying to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my existing HD on my Mac over to a brand new HD but my Mac isn't recognizing the new drive in the USB enclosure. I checked and the enclosure is compatible with my OS and it's power light is on but it just isn't being recognized. Should I try installing the new HD and putting my old one in the enclosure and cloning it over that way?

Check the file format

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

Okay, so I'm trying to use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my existing HD on my Mac over to a brand new HD but my Mac isn't recognizing the new drive in the USB enclosure. I checked and the enclosure is compatible with my OS and it's power light is on but it just isn't being recognized. Should I try installing the new HD and putting my old one in the enclosure and cloning it over that way?
Does it appear in Disk Utility? It might not be formatted yet.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Does it appear in Disk Utility? It might not be formatted yet.

Doesn't show in Disk Utility.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Thoogsby posted:

Make sure you have reliable backups before you do anything, but yes I would go with plan B: install the new drive and put the old drive in the external and clone that way. Ideally, it's a FireWire enclosure that you can boot from.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

snoozeallday posted:

So if I added this to my 2010 i5 15" MBP:

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE240G 2.5" 240GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Would I love it?

Anecdotal evidence that OCZ sucks: I had a Vertex 2 that died within months, my friend had one that died within weeks, and the SSD thread here seems to hate OCZ.

Look into a different brand and/or read the SSD thread before making a decision, but yes, SSDs own and you will like a good SSD.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Thoogsby posted:

Tried rebooting with the drive connected? What Mac are you using?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

Tried rebooting with the drive connected? What Mac are you using?
It's a 2007 MacBook, if his earlier posts are to be believed.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Make sure you have reliable backups before you do anything, but yes I would go with plan B: install the new drive and put the old drive in the external and clone that way. Ideally, it's a FireWire enclosure that you can boot from.

I have an external I can back-up on. Unfortunately the enclosure is USB.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Karsh posted:

Anecdotal evidence that OCZ sucks: I had a Vertex 2 that died within months, my friend had one that died within weeks, and the SSD thread here seems to hate OCZ.

Look into a different brand and/or read the SSD thread before making a decision, but yes, SSDs own and you will like a good SSD.

More anecdotal hate of the OCZ Vertex2 here. Had stuttering and kernel panics. I've got a Corsair Force in mine now that I love.

Thoogsby posted:

Is the drive recognized when inside the computer connected via sata? I lost a drive a few weeks ago that wouldnt show up in disk utility when connected via USB or sata. I plugged it in via sata to a windows7 system and it detected the drive, didn't actually test further though.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Aug 29, 2011

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

snoozeallday posted:

OCZ Vertex 2 OCZSSD2-2VTXE240G 2.5" 240GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Would I love it?

How much do you like filling out RMA forms?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Is the drive recognized when inside the computer connected via sata? I lost a drive a few weeks ago that wouldnt show up in disk utility when connected via USB or sata. I plugged it in via sata to a windows7 system and it detected the drive, didn't actually test further though.

I'm backing up my old drive on a different external now then I'll install the new drive and see if its recognized. Hopefully I'll be able to clone the drive that's in there now over from the external enclosure.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

If the enclosure has a Y-cable, have you tried connecting the other plug instead?

Many enclosures ship with a USB Y-cable to get enough juice for hungrier drives. One plug provides only power, one plug (usually the one wired directly) provides power and data.

Edit: Given the computer, I'm assuming you're trying to clone onto a 2.5" drive in an enclosure.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Molten Llama posted:

If the enclosure has a Y-cable, have you tried connecting the other plug instead?

Many enclosures ship with a USB Y-cable to get enough juice for hungrier drives. One plug provides only power, one plug (usually the one wired directly) provides power and data.

Edit: Given the computer, I'm assuming you're trying to clone onto a 2.5" drive in an enclosure.

Yep 2.5". It is a Y cable and I tried it with both, no dice. Even tried rebooting with both plugged in and still nothing.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Was this drive advertised to work with the Mac in the first place? Most Mac enthusiasts know Firewire is the way to go, especially if your Mac has a Firewire port in the first place. What's the make of the drive, or is it some noname?

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Was this drive advertised to work with the Mac in the first place? Most Mac enthusiasts know Firewire is the way to go, especially if your Mac has a Firewire port in the first place. What's the make of the drive, or is it some noname?

Drive is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136856

Enclosure is this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182140

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

Headhunter posted:

My 2011 27" i5 iMac is no longer all sunshine and rainbows. For the first few weeks it was unbelievably silent, I could hardly ever hear the hard disk in it at all. Now I can hear it chugging away if I do something as simple as opening a new tab in Safari. If I try to do something like quickly switch to Safari whilst playing WoW (which it handled with no problem at all when I first got it) then the hard drive goes absolutely mental for a good 2 minutes.

Have you checked out your memory usage? Take a look at Activity Monitor and see what's going on. Safari seems to use up a lot of memory over time, so if for example you've been running Safari for a couple weeks without restarting it, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the result.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Waited 3 hours for my current HD to clone onto an old external. When it finished I tried my new drive once more just for kicks and it worked. Going to jump off my roof now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

headfake posted:

Have you checked out your memory usage? Take a look at Activity Monitor and see what's going on. Safari seems to use up a lot of memory over time, so if for example you've been running Safari for a couple weeks without restarting it, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the result.

Better yet, gently caress Safari and just use Firefox and Chrome.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

lelandjs posted:

So I got one of those $99 TouchPads and I've barely touched my 2010 MacBook Air in a week. Is it crazy that I'm considering ebaying the MBA and buying a 2011 Mac Mini? From what I can tell the base level Mini can handle Source games just fine and the fact that its got thunderbolt means that I'll theoretically be able to plug in a real graphics card down the line.
I think a lot of people have gotten by with doing something similar with iPads and the Mac mini or iMac. I've been doing that myself for the past year...although I've been thinking about a MBA for a while now to replace my old netbook for the times I need more computery stuff away from home (which hasn't been enough to justify getting one yet).

Just keep in mind a Thunderbolt box will cost quite a bit. I think the ViDock guy threw out $300 as a possible price (vs $200 for their current/soon to be last generation model), and on top of whatever the box is you'd need to pay for the card itself. You might as well spend the extra $200 for the better GPU now (or wait for refurb to save some money) if you're going to be gaming. Still not a great GPU but should hold off thoughts of upgrading longer at least.

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

snoozeallday posted:

Would I love it?

While there's a lot of hate of OCZ on this forum I've used that drive in that MBP for the last 6 months without any issue. Obviously you'll want to have a good backup plan in place and be prepared for a failed drive.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't count on being able to use an external graphics card through thunderbolt in a mac. it's not a very apple-like design choice.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

fleshweasel posted:

I wouldn't count on being able to use an external graphics card through thunderbolt in a mac. it's not a very apple-like design choice.

It's not Apple that is providing it, and external graphics have been used with MacBook Pros through their express card slots.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SpoonsForThought posted:

It's not Apple that is providing it, and external graphics have been used with MacBook Pros through their express card slots.
I haven't looked into it very much, but I'm pretty sure that's only in Windows. Granted, anyone setting up an external graphics card is most likely going to have a Boot Camp partition for games anyway, but I really don't expect OS X to support external graphics adapters over ThunderBolt. I'd love for Apple to prove me wrong though.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

japtor posted:

Just keep in mind a Thunderbolt box will cost quite a bit. I think the ViDock guy threw out $300 as a possible price (vs $200 for their current/soon to be last generation model), and on top of whatever the box is you'd need to pay for the card itself. You might as well spend the extra $200 for the better GPU now (or wait for refurb to save some money) if you're going to be gaming. Still not a great GPU but should hold off thoughts of upgrading longer at least.
I'm actually thinking that I may just be better off getting a Windows desktop... I will mostly be using it for gaming, after all.

It just feels so... wrong, somehow. :ohdear:

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

lelandjs posted:

I'm actually thinking that I may just be better off getting a Windows desktop... I will mostly be using it for gaming, after all.

I still like Windows, but I do have to say that the MacBook Air has pretty much ruined Windows laptops for me. Multitouch gestures, "mission control", app expose, spaces... now when I use my work laptop I feel downright claustrophobic!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

I haven't looked into it very much, but I'm pretty sure that's only in Windows. Granted, anyone setting up an external graphics card is most likely going to have a Boot Camp partition for games anyway, but I really don't expect OS X to support external graphics adapters over ThunderBolt. I'd love for Apple to prove me wrong though.
I've checked the ViDock Facebook page now and then and it sounds like they work in OS X. If I'm remembering that right, I guess the main thing is that ExpressCard and Thunderbolt are basically other forms of PCIe. The bigger problem is probably just getting a Mac compatible GPU to stick in the box.

...that said, the idea of possibly hot plugging a GPU is just :psyduck:

lelandjs posted:

Well that'd be the logical choice :v:. I've never been a huge computer gamer, so most of the stuff I'd play is pretty basic hardware requirement wise. Of course part of that is cause I've always been more of a console person which has made the lack of Mac gaming easier to handle all these years.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Keep in mind that even though Thunderbolt is "just" PCIe, it still needs some level of OS support that may or may not be forthcoming.

After all, OS X has SATA/AHCI support, but you still can't hotplug even a simple hard disk.

To be honest I think most of the potential buyers would still be more or less happy with a non-hotpluggable and Windows-only product. It's the type of thing you buy to take to a LAN.

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003

SeventySeven posted:

While there's a lot of hate of OCZ on this forum I've used that drive in that MBP for the last 6 months without any issue. Obviously you'll want to have a good backup plan in place and be prepared for a failed drive.

I actually have an OCZ Vertex 2 running in my desktop that I was planning on putting in my MBP. What are the issues that have made OCZ drives complete poo poo apparently lately? Would I be better off just buying a new one?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Phiberoptik posted:

I actually have an OCZ Vertex 2 running in my desktop that I was planning on putting in my MBP. What are the issues that have made OCZ drives complete poo poo apparently lately? Would I be better off just buying a new one?

Read the SSD thread a little bit. It's full of people that have OCZ's crap out on them. Some people have 2-3 drives in do it in a short amount of time.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Got my new drive cloned and installed. You guys are awesome. :cheers:

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Quick question guys. I just bought a new MBP and was interested in an SSD replacement (this one in particular http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Version-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B004OR0GSG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top), and I'm seeing tons of reviews that the Pros are having issues because of a "shielded cable" or something. Is intel the only brand, or is it a general SATA III issue?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Phiberoptik posted:

Hit and miss quality control and firmware bugs. I myself own a 30GB Vertex, 60GB Vertex 2, 120GB Vertex 2 and 120GB Vertex 3 MI and none of them have failed on me (yet). I replaced the Vertex 2 with a 3 in my desktop, so I put the Vertex 2 in my 2010 MBP. Working great so far, everything flies, no more HDD bottleneck!

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Alright, you guys were correct, and I'm an idiot. My wife wants nothing to do with the MacBook Air (she thinks it's great, but she gets everything she needs done with her iPhone/iPad). This is especially so because we just had a huge vet bill and could really use the money towards that instead.

I'm assuming there's no way to return this to Apple, correct? At least without getting a huge restocking fee?

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Hamburglar posted:

Alright, you guys were correct, and I'm an idiot. My wife wants nothing to do with the MacBook Air (she thinks it's great, but she gets everything she needs done with her iPhone/iPad). This is especially so because we just had a huge vet bill and could really use the money towards that instead.

I'm assuming there's no way to return this to Apple, correct? At least without getting a huge restocking fee?

If you purchased it within the last two weeks and it's a stock model, you can return it for a full refund, no questions asked.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Got my new air! Very sick computer. Got the 'good' HD as well.

Two quick questions...

Safari seems faster than Chrome...true?

With the revamped spotlight, is there a need for a program like Quicksilver?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Both of those are software questions.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

sleepness posted:

Quick question guys. I just bought a new MBP and was interested in an SSD replacement (this one in particular http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Version-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B004OR0GSG/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top), and I'm seeing tons of reviews that the Pros are having issues because of a "shielded cable" or something. Is intel the only brand, or is it a general SATA III issue?

SATA III issue, as OWC uses SandForce drives and they have the same problem. Jury is still out on whether it's the controller or the cable:

http://blog.macsales.com/9754-owc-offers-fix-for-2011-17-mbp-sata-problems

Basically, a shielded cable fixes it for some users, disconnecting the battery indicator fixes it for some, and it looks to be most common in the 17" MBP.

You can always get an Intel 320...

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

rear end Catchcum posted:

Safari seems faster than Chrome...true?
I use Safari because it supports the back swipe while showing the page moving. For the time being, I prefer it, and it feels slightly faster. I'm sure that will change soon enough.

quote:

With the revamped spotlight, is there a need for a program like Quicksilver?
I used to use Alfred, but I just run default spotlight now.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Sulk posted:

If you purchased it within the last two weeks and it's a stock model, you can return it for a full refund, no questions asked.

Welp, I'll definitely be buying more stuff from Apple in the future for sure.

Very cool of them (and thanks for the info).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Hamburglar posted:

I can't remember if you mentioned earlier if you're new to Apple or not, but if you're beyond the two week return period, you should have a very easy time selling the MBA for most of its original value. Check SA Mart and eBay to get an idea of typical selling prices.

e: Nevermind apparently, glad you weren't too late!