Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I think tekken 6 looks drat good. I played the arcade cab of TTT2 and was blown away by its graphics as well.

E: however I will never stop thinking that the wall-less stages look hosed up. The way the background follows you around 0_0

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
I mean come on who didn't like the snow effect in Manji Valley?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
SF4 would look a whole lot better if the camera didn't have to zoom in for every Ultra and win pose. SFxT is even worse, why Capcom insist on reminding you it's 3D every 5 seconds is beyond me.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Mega Comrade posted:

SF4 would look a whole lot better if the camera didn't have to zoom in for every Ultra and win pose. SFxT is even worse, why Capcom insist on reminding you it's 3D every 5 seconds is beyond me.

Agreein' with this, although I don't care about the win poses and the ultra zooms are pretty inoffensive. SFxT's stupid zoom-ins at the slightest provocation really irritate me, though.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

KOF13 really stands out to me as a good example of a modern 2D sprite-based fighter. That game looks fantastic in person.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Ashenai posted:

Agreein' with this, although I don't care about the win poses and the ultra zooms are pretty inoffensive. SFxT's stupid zoom-ins at the slightest provocation really irritate me, though.

It's not even done right either, for how bad KOFXII was it did zoom ins right, boom get that super custom combo counter hit thing, ZOOM IN CROWD GOES WHILE LIGHTS GO CRAZY CONFETTI EVERYWHERE. It was actually pretty hype as gently caress for a while.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Fighting games usually look pretty good just because they only have to have 2 characters (or 4, or 6) in memory at a time so they can dedicate a lot of detail to rendering those two. I remember being really impressed by the new Tekken 2 and Tekken 3 machines at the local mall. Tekken 6 looks great especially for its age, hell even Soul Calibur 4 has held up well (one thing they got right). VF5 is alright, definitely doesn't look bad. I was even impressed by the new MK graphics when I picked it up recently, despite having that weird MK stiffness that's bothered me in animation for most of those games.

SF2 looks and is animated great for its time but I've always sort of disliked that art style fr some reason... I preferred Alpha's bright cartoons to 2's weird fleshy tones. I definitely got weary of the Alpha sprites toward the end, especially when they trotted out a handful for Marvel 2 (when you have Morrigan and Son-Son onscreen side by side, it can hardly be called consistent). A part of me is sad that 3S won't be surpassed in sprite fluidity anytime soon, due to fighting game budgets and that C.R.E.A.M. mentality. BlazBlue looks great in one sense but without the animation to accompany it it will never quite have that flowing beauty 3S has. Haven't really paid any attention to Skullgirls but I'll have to check it out after all this praise.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
It really goes without saying but the animation in darkstalkers really is fantastic. I was watching some match with Jedah in it and was really bummed that we might never have something so fluid from current major game companies. Really looking forward to see what Skullgirls does.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

It really goes without saying but the animation in darkstalkers really is fantastic. I was watching some match with Jedah in it and was really bummed that we might never have something so fluid from current major game companies. Really looking forward to see what Skullgirls does.

http://art-eater.com/2010/07/test-1-darkstalkers/ I got this from a SA thread, not sure if it was from this one or one of the art threads that I follow.

Darkstalkers was so well animated :allears:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Electromax posted:

A part of me is sad that 3S won't be surpassed in sprite fluidity anytime soon, due to fighting game budgets and that C.R.E.A.M. mentality.

The what mentality?

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

inthesto posted:

The what mentality?

Cash Rules Everything Around Me. Get the money.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
dolla dolla bill y'all...

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
MK9 and MvC3 are the worst looking recent fighting games.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
What, pray tell, looks so bad about MvC3?

Captain Corduroy
Mar 31, 2007

We find the source of the problem, and we throw dragons at it.

Broken Loose posted:

Well, for one thing, the models for Gene and Megaman are invisible. That's just sloppy work by Capcom.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I always thought third strike's sprites looked horrible but the animations for them were awesome. You don't get quite the feeling of power from Makoto's Seichusen Godanzuki in SF4 that you do in SF3.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
In what way do the sprites look horrible though? What a bizarre opinion.;

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Sade posted:

I don't think they all look bad, but I really don't care for Chun's sprite at all. Also, I hate the walk animation for the twins.

Kuai
May 25, 2004
You cannot model new costumes as DLC for sprites fast/easy enough therefore there will never be another 2D sprite fighting game from Capcom ever again.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008
I can't wait to touch myself on the 14th, which in the United States of the Americas is VALENTINE'S DAY just like Skullgirls and short skirts and oh my god oh so excited.
This is really out there in the realm of impossibility, but think of how much better TvC would have looked if it was all sprites. TvC looks like poo poo because the wii graphical prowess isn't great, but it can handle really really awesome sprites at least. Wouldn't really save the game from its awful gameplay though.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

This is really out there in the realm of impossibility, but think of how much better TvC would have looked if it was all sprites. TvC looks like poo poo because the wii graphical prowess isn't great, but it can handle really really awesome sprites at least. Wouldn't really save the game from its awful gameplay though.

Kirby's Epic Yarn vs Capcom would be fantastic.

Speaking of 3s, Chun's sprites always looked to me like they don't really fit. The art style seems a bit different, the coloring is off, and her stances and animations are just weird. She kind of seems to stretch more than everyone else. I mean she still looks fantastic and incredibly well animated, she just seems sort of out of place somehow.

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008

chumbler posted:

Kirby's Epic Yarn vs Capcom would be fantastic.

Speaking of 3s, Chun's sprites always looked to me like they don't really fit. The art style seems a bit different, the coloring is off, and her stances and animations are just weird. She kind of seems to stretch more than everyone else. I mean she still looks fantastic and incredibly well animated, she just seems sort of out of place somehow.

It probably has something to do with her being added in SF3 while many of the other characters were added in the prior iterations. Chun-Li, Makoto, Q, Remy, and Twelve were all new characters in 3s, so maybe she got a lot of attention or was the last character they added and that makes her look a little strange next to the other characters? Who knows.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
I thought Elena was the same way as seeming "out of place" in 3S like how you say Chun is. She moves and animates differently than the rest of the cast.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Brannock posted:

I thought Elena was the same way as seeming "out of place" in 3S like how you say Chun is. She moves and animates differently than the rest of the cast.

Well, in Elena's case it's because they actually used different techniques to animate her.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
The faces Hugo makes are the best. :3:

Kuai
May 25, 2004

dat fukkin dog!! posted:

It probably has something to do with her being added in SF3 while many of the other characters were added in the prior iterations. Chun-Li, Makoto, Q, Remy, and Twelve were all new characters in 3s, so maybe she got a lot of attention or was the last character they added and that makes her look a little strange next to the other characters? Who knows.

I always just thought they tried to make chun looker a little more mature in 3rd strike.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Sade posted:

I really like the 3s sprites, but it sort of bothers me how some characters are colored in a completely different style than others, i.e. Makoto and Oro

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Wezlar posted:

I really like the 3s sprites, but it sort of bothers me how some characters are colored in a completely different style than others, i.e. Makoto and Oro

Makoto's anime mouth throws me off, too.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Jmcrofts posted:

I think tekken 6 looks drat good. I played the arcade cab of TTT2 and was blown away by its graphics as well.

Agree with this. Tekken 6 may have come out in 2007 but it still looks loving great on my TV, better than a lot of other games I've got laying around.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

thorsilver posted:

Agree with this. Tekken 6 may have come out in 2007 but it still looks loving great on my TV, better than a lot of other games I've got laying around.

IMO Tekken games look great for an abnormally long time; it's easy to not even notice that the graphics are dated until the next sequel comes out. If you go back and play Tekken 5 it kinda looks like rear end now, but I thought it looked great right up until T6 came out.

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!
Great op Brosnan, but only one complaint...

The original Street Fighter came out in 1987, and it was possible to throw hadokens in that game, albeit very difficult. If someone was a true "OG", if you will, they would have been throwing hadokens since that time period.

Its OK though, I forgive you. :)

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
Man no one cares about Street Fighter 1, get off me.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Broken Loose posted:

According to some random guy I talked to once, because they looked 'cartoony'

He hopes that on the sequel they actually put some effort towards the graphics.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I actually thought one thing that MVC3 got really right was the graphics/presentation. The game looks a lot better than SF4.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
One thing I think MvC3 got right was the VA - there's a lot of it, including lots of situation-specific stuff, and it's all pretty good.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.
I like the MvC3 models- when you can see them. I'm really glad we're getting that snow stage because it's so brightly lit.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

One thing I think MvC3 got right was the VA - there's a lot of it, including lots of situation-specific stuff, and it's all pretty good.

The fact that pretty much everyone is voiced by their original voice actors (if they have appeared elsewhere with voices) is really cool.

Can't wait to hear Daniel Southworth as Vergil again after all these years, he's so dreamy :allears:

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
The best thing about MvC3 are the special intro/outro voices for certain character matchups.

e: and the fighting too i guess

ee: they're adding even more in ultimate too, like clips for being the last character and poo poo. it's cool

Vanrushal
Apr 2, 2005

I thought my Spitter was a Jockey!
Chun's 3S sprite is my favorite interpretation of her. I've disliked her character forever and continue to do so in everything not 3S (her Puzzle/Pocket Fighter sprites aren't bad) just because of how awkward I think she looks and moves. MvC3 gets a special mention here just for her hands. It's a really petty complaint, but goddamn they irritate the poo poo out of me.

I always thought Elena animated well, up until I noticed her idle crouching animation, or near lack thereof. I was taken aback by how bad it looks compared to how well literally everything else about her is animated. But she never seemed to stick out from the rest of the cast to me as much as Oro, Gill, and Urien did. They've got some really harsh lines that I don't notice as much in any of the other characters. Then again, 3S is just so goddamn beautiful it's an easy thing to forgive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dat fukkin dog!!
Dec 17, 2008

Cinroth posted:

The fact that pretty much everyone is voiced by their original voice actors (if they have appeared elsewhere with voices) is really cool.

Can't wait to hear Daniel Southworth as Vergil again after all these years, he's so dreamy :allears:

Totally. Vergil's VA is so dope can't wait to hear that sweet sweet voice again

• Locked thread