Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

sansuki posted:

Look at that, actual character growth. V didn't rise to his bait. Also, why Ranch Plane? I thought he had to go to a real plane?

This setting clearly has a vastly larger number of Elemental Planes than the rest; it's the same reason chlorine and titanium elementals are available to summon.

Plus it's funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Spell description says "plane of existence or alternate dimension". Comedic planes count. Though he could have sent V to one of the more lethal planes (or led with this spell first). Unless the fiends send a courier to bring V home, the wizard is out for a while.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I like to think that the dark elf, in haste, didn't have any particular plane in mind, and happened to be craving some ranch-dipped vegetables at the time.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Don't know about you guys, but I'm currently on my way to the store to pick up some broccoli and ranch.

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

The bells of the Gion Temple echo the impermanence of all things...

Sefer posted:

This setting clearly has a vastly larger number of Elemental Planes than the rest; it's the same reason chlorine and titanium elementals are available to summon.

Plus it's funny.

Indeed.

Scientifically, ranch is much funnier than vinaigrette, and would even tops (but only slightly) Bleu Cheese.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Effingham posted:

Indeed.

Scientifically, ranch is much funnier than vinaigrette, and would even tops (but only slightly) Bleu Cheese.

I think the Thousand Island Islands might of topped it, but that might be harder to draw.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

sansuki posted:

Also, why Ranch Plane? I thought he had to go to a real plane?

Maybe V was fighting a Sauceror this whole time. :downsrim:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Bobulus posted:

Kingdom of Loathing accounts for everyone!

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL

Bobulus posted:

Thank the Green Goddess

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

Post poste posted:

I think the Thousand Island Islands might of topped it, but that might be harder to draw.

Oooh, I'm getting evil ideas for my next campaign. Mwa ha ha ha! (ahem.)

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

I love how the Ranch Dressing elemental is so friendly. Summon a fire, water, or chlorine elemental and you get a murderous beast. But Ranch Dressing elementals just want to dip stuff in other stuff, or presumably themselves. It is the true essence of all dressing planes (and perhaps topping planes as well) that they just want to be true to their natures, I guess?

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 23, 2011

Forer
Jan 18, 2010

"How do I get rid of these nasty roaches?!"

Easy, just burn your house down.

Vorgen posted:

I love how the Ranch Dressing elemental is so friendly. Summon a fire, water, or chlorine elemental and you get a murderous beast. But Ranch Dressing elementals just want to dip stuff in other stuff, or presumably themselves. It is the true essence of all dressing planes (and perhaps topping planes as well) that they just want to be true to their natures, I guess?

Well I mean maybe all the elementals really just want a hug, the ranch dressing elementals just want to hug people and dip stuff in other stuff by a side effect, fire elementals just want a hug and end up burning things as a side effect, chlorine gas and water elementals just want to hug things and end up suffocating people as a side effect and the titanium elemental just wants to hug things and has no concept of his own strength?

Akrabbim
Aug 10, 2003
It means 'scorpion' in Hebrew, and rhymes with 'bakrabbim'. Don't even ask...

Forer posted:

Well I mean maybe all the elementals really just want a hug, the ranch dressing elementals just want to hug people and dip stuff in other stuff by a side effect, fire elementals just want a hug and end up burning things as a side effect, chlorine gas and water elementals just want to hug things and end up suffocating people as a side effect and the titanium elemental just wants to hug things and has no concept of his own strength?

I know this would never actually be the legit D&D reason for elementals attacking people, but it would be SO much better if it actually was. If I ever get to play a campaign again, I'm gonna do that. And if you summon an elemental, they're so angry at being taken away from their plane of hugs, they refuse to hug the one who brought them there, and hug everyone else to make him jealous.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm really wondering if we aren't going to see more of that kobold in the future as something of a Belkar replacement, given that Belkar is going to die/leave the material plane for good at some point (unless they go with undead/something else Belkar).

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'm really wondering if we aren't going to see more of that kobold in the future as something of a Belkar replacement, given that Belkar is going to die/leave the material plane for good at some point (unless they go with undead/something else Belkar).

Belkar is probably the most popular character by a mile, so I doubt he's going anywhere, dead or not.

Durkon though, Durkon can gently caress right off.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Durkon fills so many roles, though! He's the straight man, the dwarf, the voice of religion, and the Cleric. It's true he doesn't have a lot of individual personality, but he provides a springboard for the other members to show their stuff. :)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I think the reason Durkon has been absent is that he's grappling with the last living LG member we haven't seen yet.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Toussaint Louverture posted:

I think the reason Durkon has been absent is that he's grappling with the last living LG member we haven't seen yet.
Hilga! Bow-chicka-bow-wow! Grapple rules ahoy! Save vs Sexy.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

XkyRauh posted:

Durkon fills so many roles, though! He's the straight man, the dwarf, the voice of religion, and the Cleric. It's true he doesn't have a lot of individual personality, but he provides a springboard for the other members to show their stuff. :)

Durkon's personality is dwarf.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Until you guys mentioned him just now I had seriously forgotten Durkon exists.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

navyjack posted:

Hilga! Bow-chicka-bow-wow! Grapple rules ahoy! Save vs Sexy.

Whatever happened to that LG dwarf lady he was alone in the dark with, anyway?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

terminal mehmet posted:

Whatever happened to that LG dwarf lady he was alone in the dark with, anyway?
Hilga? She was NE not LG. She ran off after Durkon rejected her because she had a husband (who she poisoned and may be dead.). She was replaced by the gnome Druid.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

navyjack posted:

Hilga? She was NE not LG. She ran off after Durkon rejected her because she had a husband (who she poisoned and may be dead.). She was replaced by the gnome Druid.

Linear Guild not Lawful Good :)

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wasn't she Chaotic Evil? She worshiped Loki, after all.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Cliff Racer posted:

Wasn't she Chaotic Evil? She worshiped Loki, after all.

Actually, if you go by Dragon Magazine 214, Loki is actually lawful good, because

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

terminal mehmet posted:

Linear Guild not Lawful Good :)

:facepalm: God I'm dumb.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
Oh dear I hope Rich isn't going to die anytime soon.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Lately V has been getting upstaged by her familiar. The ultimate shame for a Caster.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Nystral posted:

Oh dear I hope Rich isn't going to die anytime soon.

Hey, your tactic worked!

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
:siren: New strip "Saved by the belt" :siren:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Saw the joke coming. Good one though.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Too bad it's not a 2nd Edition BoGS, that just set the STR score to a certain value, if I remember correctly.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Taerkar posted:

Too bad it's not a 2nd Edition BoGS, that just set the STR score to a certain value, if I remember correctly.

Going from memories of playing Baldur's Gate 2 I think it's

Hill-Giant - 18 STR
Stone-Giant - 19 STR
Fire-Giant - 20 STR

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

So is Thog ultimately the better combatant? Roy might be smarter and actually make things like plans, but that's clearly not counting for much in an arena (literally, an arena) where victory comes down to strength score.

Almost reminds me of the old Batman vs. whoever arguments. Roy without preptime, so to speak. Which isn't to say that he's usually acting according to a cunning plan, just that there's little chance to outwit or outplay Thog here.

Dr I am a Doctor
Mar 3, 2011

by T. Finn

Nilbop posted:

Going from memories of playing Baldur's Gate 2 I think it's

Hill-Giant - 18 STR
Stone-Giant - 19 STR
Fire-Giant - 20 STR

It's Hill Giant - 19 STR
Stone Giant - 20 STR
Fire Giant - 21 STR
Frost Giant - 22 STR
And the Gauntlets of Ogre Strength give 18/00, not normal 18

Effingham
Aug 1, 2006

I was thinking about the strip today, and something that occurred to me was the inversion of the Linear Guild and the Order of the Stick.

In the OS, the most important member and leader is Roy (the fighter guy) and the least useful and lower end of the totem pole is Elan; in the LG, the most important member and leader is the Elan analogue, Nale, and the least useful and lower end of the totem pole is is Thog (the fighter guy).

I love that they aren't only alignment opposites, they're literally polar opposites.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Dolash posted:

So is Thog ultimately the better combatant? Roy might be smarter and actually make things like plans, but that's clearly not counting for much in an arena (literally, an arena) where victory comes down to strength score.

Almost reminds me of the old Batman vs. whoever arguments. Roy without preptime, so to speak. Which isn't to say that he's usually acting according to a cunning plan, just that there's little chance to outwit or outplay Thog here.

A fighter without his weapon of specialization is just a dude with a lot of feats. A barbarian is a loving barbarian all the time.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Dolash posted:

The difference between Roy and Batman is that Batman would have planned to deal with not having preptime to make a plan.

He is just that good at plans.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Dolash posted:

So is Thog ultimately the better combatant?

Possibly. Barbarians get more hitpoints per level as well as a small amount of damage reduction and Roy has probably spent a lot of his bonus feats on things that require him to be wielding a great sword to matter. Thog is most likely stronger than Roy too, especially if he is raging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Poil posted:

Possibly. Barbarians get more hitpoints per level as well as a small amount of damage reduction and Roy has probably spent a lot of his bonus feats on things that require him to be wielding a great sword to matter. Thog is most likely stronger than Roy too, especially if he is raging.

You missed the bit in the last comic where Roy was almost back to being even with Thog until the dog got thrown through the wall, at which point he started raging again.