Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.
http://www.walkingwallofwords.com/releases.html

Instant purchase. The site is getting hammered right now.

e: in my excitement I totally didn't see the post on the last page! Which is far better than mine.

LtTennisBall posted:

So Jeff Mangum just put up a massive new website for Neutral Milk Hotel, including news that a new vinyl boxset is coming out in November, containing everything they've ever released (On Avery Island, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Everything Is) three seven inches (one with Holland, 1945 b/w engine, one with two unreleased tracks, one with two versions of the track Little Bird) a 10 inch with 8 unreleased tracks and two posters.

The website is here, http://www.walkingwallofwords.com/releases.html and also contains a stream with two of the unreleased tracks (Oh Sister/Ferris Wheel on Fire).

e: in my excitement I totally messed up what was actually in the boxset, fixed that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Socket Ryanist posted:

lack of a preamp should leave you lacking in bass, not an excess of it.

If you have too much bass, either you're double-preamping, or the speaker in question is hosed up.

Do you have a picture of the speaker?

Apparently I hooked it up to a surround sound system subwoofer. So that's why it was all bassy and weird. Also, my dad says we've got an A/V receiver in the attic. Would that serve the same function as a preamp? This is all new to me.

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

But all I get is bitter and a nasty little rash

Surfingelectrode posted:

The problem about Music on Vinyl is that since they're based in the Netherlands, everything they release is very expensive to import. Their releases are normally like $40-50 for single LPs.

Still, that Pulp album never goes for under $100 on Discogs/eBay. So I look at it as a 50% discount!

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

Mr. Stepmom posted:

Still, that Pulp album never goes for under $100 on Discogs/eBay. So I look at it as a 50% discount!

That's true. Here's to hoping that it'll have the die cut sleeve and inserts.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

Gram-O-Phone posted:

The Pro-Ject motor hum is a very common fault with many of their turntables (my old Pro-Ject Xperience exhibited it as well) which share the same motor mounting assembly. The hum is caused by the vibration of the motor travelling through that lovely rubber band support directly into the plinth. Essentially, it's just a really badly thought out isolation system (seriously, did they even test it?). Fortunately, some enterprising person (not me) came up with a fix, an 'official' version of which is now also available from Pro-Ject (they have also modified the mounting system on the new Debut).

More details on this VinylEngine thread here:

http://www.vinylengine.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39274

And here is the page with details of the original fix:

http://www.theapplechap.com/TheAppleChap/Blog/Entries/2011/5/24_Enhancing_the_sound_from_Pro-ject_turntables_by_removing_rumble.html

I can't verify the fix, as my Xperience has long gone, just putting the info out there in case it's of use to anyone :)

Haha the picture in the long report/testing page of the motor with the bluetack under it is basically exactly what I did. The rest of that is really interesting and I'll probably get that kit if I get all uppity about the noise again.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Cheesus posted:

Next month is shaping up to be expensive between the Nevermind release, Star Wars Blu-ray, assorted stuff I'm forgetting, and now this (apparently 9/26):
http://www.musiconvinyl.com/news/music_on_vinyl_to_release_universal_titles

:hellyeah:

How much is the nevermind thing anyway? I wasn't really all that interested in until I found out it had a live set with it. Even though I still think it's kind of bullshit they have to tack that onto yet another release of an album everyone already has and then jack up the price. Also if you want to save a few bucks, skip the Star Wars blu-ray. It's not going to have the original theatrical versions of the movies, so gently caress it.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

CPL593H posted:

How much is the nevermind thing anyway?
Deluxe (no live set) is around $25.
Vinyl (no live set) is around $60.
Super Deluxe (deluxe with live set, early mix of the album, DVD (NOT Blu-Ray), and about $20 worth of reprinted junk) is around $150.
They're also selling the DVD and Blu-ray separately for $around $20.

Pretty brilliant pricing and packaging strategy in a world without :filez:, eh?

quote:

Also if you want to save a few bucks, skip the Star Wars blu-ray. It's not going to have the original theatrical versions of the movies, so gently caress it.
But they're including sweet deleted scenes from the OT and fixing the god awful poo poo they added with the DVD releases (poorly colored lightsabers).

However, I can't see going for is the 3D release. While my television and Blu-ray player have (Sony) 3D, the few times I've used them have left me incredibly underwhelmed. I struggle with finding anything interesting in turning 2D movies into "3D". I'm not even sure if I'll bother catching any of them in the theater next year, let alone the that particular Blu-ray release.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

midge posted:

http://www.walkingwallofwords.com/releases.html

Instant purchase. The site is getting hammered right now.

e: in my excitement I totally didn't see the post on the last page! Which is far better than mine.

52 dollar shipping? Goddamn :(

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

LtTennisBall posted:

So Jeff Mangum just put up a massive new website for Neutral Milk Hotel, including news that a new vinyl boxset is coming out in November, containing everything they've ever released (On Avery Island, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Everything Is) three seven inches (one with Holland, 1945 b/w engine, one with two unreleased tracks, one with two versions of the track Little Bird) a 10 inch with 8 unreleased tracks and two posters.

The website is here, http://www.walkingwallofwords.com/releases.html and also contains a stream with two of the unreleased tracks (Oh Sister/Ferris Wheel on Fire).

e: in my excitement I totally messed up what was actually in the boxset, fixed that.

Holy poo poo, instant purchase is right. This is so exciting, and I'm so glad I just happened to have some extra cash. :)

Edit: vvv Agreed on the Blu-Ray SW set. The "special edition" films have so much terrible poo poo added that it really does make them worse films. It's really sad because the original original trilogy is fantastic.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Aug 26, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cheesus posted:

Deluxe (no live set) is around $25.
Vinyl (no live set) is around $60.
Super Deluxe (deluxe with live set, early mix of the album, DVD (NOT Blu-Ray), and about $20 worth of reprinted junk) is around $150.
They're also selling the DVD and Blu-ray separately for $around $20.

I guess as long as I can buy some stand alone version of the live set that'll do. Hearing old demos and studio poo poo is cool sometimes, but whenever I own something like that I hardly ever revisit it. 150 bucks to own it on vinyl is a bit much for me.

quote:

But they're including sweet deleted scenes from the OT and fixing the god awful poo poo they added with the DVD releases (poorly colored lightsabers).

Who cares? The rest of the loving movies are wrecked with a bunch of stupid cartoony Jar-Jar Binks poo poo popping out for no reason. If they really wanted to "fix it" they'd make a blu-ray that contains nothing but the original releases remastered. I don't want to start this kind of spergfest derail here, though. So that's all I'm going to say on the subject.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Wish there was a little bit more info on how many of those Neutral Milk Hotel box sets Mangum will be making...

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Wish there was a little bit more info on how many of those Neutral Milk Hotel box sets Mangum will be making...

It doesn't say anything about it being truly limited, so I'm hoping beyond hope it's a fairly big run, because I don't have the cash to preorder at the moment.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.

CPL593H posted:

I guess as long as I can buy some stand alone version of the live set that'll do. Hearing old demos and studio poo poo is cool sometimes, but whenever I own something like that I hardly ever revisit it. 150 bucks to own it on vinyl is a bit much for me.

The super deluxe set is just the CDs and DVD. No vinyl.

Crimson Sox
Jan 16, 2008

Bromance
My guess is that it's /10,000. The website says there is about 7000 left.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

UnoriginalMind posted:

Apparently I hooked it up to a surround sound system subwoofer. So that's why it was all bassy and weird. Also, my dad says we've got an A/V receiver in the attic. Would that serve the same function as a preamp? This is all new to me.

If it's older than about 1989 or a high quality unit it will have an input called "phono". This is the only input (almost all) turntables can use.

Socket Ryanist
Aug 30, 2004

Do all phono cartridges have slight balance issues? Maybe it's because my turntable is straight-tonearm (the scratching type, not the over-hanging type), but every cartridge I've used on it has been panned slightly to either side, and it's always different.

The weird part is that it seems like it pans the highs more than the lows. like I can adjust the balance to the point where the bass sounds centered but the highs are slightly to one side.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Socket Ryanist posted:

Do all phono cartridges have slight balance issues? Maybe it's because my turntable is straight-tonearm (the scratching type)

It's your tonearm (I'm assuming it's of a shortish variety).

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Aug 27, 2011

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

That neutral milk hotel site must be brilliant marketing, because this is the first time since high school I've been excited about that band.

I used to have (probably still do) two or three hundred live and demo tracks by them. Most of those on the new box set are duds when it comes to both songwriting and recording quality. Even completionists would probably spin them once and put them away. I imagine that "unreleased" means "leaked and widely available online" at least when it comes to four track and live versions.

But I loving salivate at the idea of this:

quote:

Previously unreleased 10" featuring eight acoustic recordings (seven studio tracks heard here for the first time)

Side A -
Oh Sister
Ferris Wheel on Fire
Home
April 8th

Side B -
I Will Bury You In Time
Engine
A Baby For Pree/Glow Into You
My Dream Girl Don't Exist

If those are truly heard here for the first time--not the versions I know--it's exciting. All of side B are solid songwriting, most of all Engine. And Oh Sister has always been the missing piece that left Aeroplane incomplete and (just barely) unsatisfying. It's a crime that song wasn't on the album.

"Home" I'm not familiar with it. Has anybody here heard it?

edit: wish i had the scratch to buy the set...

Mescal fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Aug 27, 2011

BeefCrisps
Jan 24, 2011
Just bought the set. Truly can't afford it.
And yet it's a complete necessity.
The studio version of Little Birds is exciting to me, I'm pretty sure that's not been heard before - correct me if I'm mistaken.

This will be the 3rd copy of In The Aeroplane I'll own...

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Mescal posted:

That neutral milk hotel site must be brilliant marketing, because this is the first time since high school I've been excited about that band.

I used to have (probably still do) two or three hundred live and demo tracks by them. Most of those on the new box set are duds when it comes to both songwriting and recording quality. Even completionists would probably spin them once and put them away. I imagine that "unreleased" means "leaked and widely available online" at least when it comes to four track and live versions.

But I loving salivate at the idea of this:

If those are truly heard here for the first time--not the versions I know--it's exciting. All of side B are solid songwriting, most of all Engine. And Oh Sister has always been the missing piece that left Aeroplane incomplete and (just barely) unsatisfying. It's a crime that song wasn't on the album.

"Home" I'm not familiar with it. Has anybody here heard it?

edit: wish i had the scratch to buy the set...

yeah I've heard a lot of live/demo versions of these tracks on bootlegs, but the version of Oh Sister that's streaming is amazing so I have my hopes up.

ALSO, for those who didn't see, all of the new tracks are gonna be on bandcamp for pay-what-you-want, so you won't totally miss out.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?
Hey NYCers/Brooklynites(/Queens?),

The "official" release show for that orange-y Conveyor record that I posted a few weeks ago is this Friday night (Sept. 2) at Pianos in the LES. If you dug the music you can see us play it all live and flail around as we do.

Also the record will be available for purchase (if shipping was putting you off).

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
My dad and I unearthed an entertainment center complete with speakers from the annals of my attic. It plays my records loud enough through my Sennheiser HD280s, so it should be fine. It sounds wonderful, but I really need to clean my records. Even when they're kept in their paper sleeves and jackets they seem to be dusty.

Now I just need a replacement needle. This one appears to be for the Panasonic RD 7673. It looks to be the needle I need, but I'm not entirely sure, because there's no mention of the Technics brand on this particular Panasonic player (though I realize they had a popular line by that name.) Any thoughts or recommendations?

adjective_noun
Jan 5, 2007

Antony played guitaaaaaaaaar!!
So I have a problem with my turn table. I recently noticed that it has been playing records at a marginally faster pace than it should, so marginal that I only noticed when I was listening to a song I knew very well. I did some amateur time trials (using my ipod as a stop watch no less, oh the irony) and have found that it is running at about 34.25 RPM. Does anyone know how I can recalibrate the belt to set it back to 33 RPM? The turn table is the Ion TTUSB from I believe 2009. Any advice would be great, thanks!

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
If you (very carefully) tip the turntable back so you can see the bottom, there may be some holes which allow a screwdriver to adjust trimpots to bring the speed down, they will usually be marked as such. Use a stroboscopic disc to calibrate.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

UnoriginalMind posted:

Now I just need a replacement needle. This one appears to be for the Panasonic RD 7673. It looks to be the needle I need, but I'm not entirely sure, because there's no mention of the Technics brand on this particular Panasonic player (though I realize they had a popular line by that name.) Any thoughts or recommendations?

Technics = Panasonic = Technics when it comes to styluses. Original Technics replacement needles often - though not always - came in packaging branded Panasonic.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

While looking through piles of records at a Salvation Army, I thumbed past an awful lot of Andy Williams, and this. I had no idea who he is (I had to ask my dad - it's Jack Parr), but thought the album cover was pretty clever, at least.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
So, sort of vinyl related I guess, this is happening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyzjVL5tFn0&feature=player_embedded

So... Oh god... Vault members can expect an Insane Clown Posse package coming one of these days? :stare:

edit:

Also, in less frightening news, the new Clap Your Hands Say Yeah album "Hysterical" is up for pre-order and the light blue double vinyl edition with 3 bonus songs is limited to 500 copies.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Aug 31, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

So, sort of vinyl related I guess, this is happening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyzjVL5tFn0&feature=player_embedded

So... Oh god... Vault members can expect an Insane Clown Posse package coming one of these days? :stare:

I hope not.

edit: They're already hilariously over reacting to this in GBS. Oddly enough the people reacting the worst are the ones who don't even like Jack White. I'm sure there's plenty more where that came from in the Vault's comment sections.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 1, 2011

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

I hope not.

edit: They're already hilariously over reacting to this in GBS. Oddly enough the people reacting the worst are the ones who don't even like Jack White. I'm sure there's plenty more where that came from in the Vault's comment sections.

I love the GBS post that says Jack White is a bad guitarist because of an ICP collaboration.

The Vault is incredibly knee-jerky when it comes to the teeniest things, so I assume it's a cluster gently caress over there.

edit:
Speaking of Third Man Records, where's that special edition of "Rome" they announced ages ago?

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Sep 1, 2011

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I love the GBS post that says Jack White is a bad guitarist because of an ICP collaboration.

The Vault is incredibly knee-jerky when it comes to the teeniest things, so I assume it's a cluster gently caress over there.

edit:
Speaking of Third Man Records, where's that special edition of "Rome" they announced ages ago?

As far as I know GBS has always had a hate hard-on for Jack White, so that comes as no suprise.

But anyway, I remember when they announced the special edition of Rome it was basically "eventually we'll do this!". So I'm not exactly holding my breath. They also didn't say much about it other than it's going to be two discs and have fancy looking album cover. I'm still wondering if it's going to be a 45 rpm album or what.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Speaking of Third Man Records, I got this in today

It's awesome.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
The Dirty Projectors/Bjork collaboration "Mount Wittenberg Orca" is up for pre-order.

Pre-order now and get a signed 10 x 10 inch print of the cover :D

Never really listened to the whole thing, except some high quality YouTube vids, so I'm really curious how it'll sound. It comes with a download, so I guess I don't have to wait to find out.

Dissapointed Owl fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Sep 2, 2011

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I couldn't pass up that Neutral Milk Hotel set. I am excited.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CPL593H posted:

As far as I know GBS has always had a hate hard-on for Jack White, so that comes as no suprise.

gently caress, you can say that again:

The Maroon Ninja posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that Jack white is an embarassment to guitar players everywhere.

:psyduck:

cheese eats mouse posted:

I couldn't pass up that Neutral Milk Hotel set. I am excited.

Neither could I but I still don't really know why, considering I own both the albums. Kinda hoping the box set is especially pretty :unsmith:

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Dissapointed Owl posted:

gently caress, you can say that again:

The Maroon Ninja posted:

Just wanted to chime in and say that Jack white is an embarassment to guitar players everywhere.

It's funny because I notice that people who say poo poo like that tend to think a "good guitarist" is someone like John Mayer.

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Does anyone know a good site for finding info on old jazz records?

I found what appears to be a limited release signed Benny Goodman LP at Goodwill today, and these photos (not mine) are the only reference I can find to it after quite a bit of googling. I'm just curious if it's too valuable for me to be listening to all the time.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I finally got everything up and running. Turntable works great, thank god for my dad's obsessive need to store everything in the original box with the Styrofoam casing and everything. I found some speakers at a consignment shop (along with SMB3 for $5, but that's another topic), got my cartridge in the mail the other day, got a preamp (because it was too drat quiet) today for pretty cheap, and picked up my first two albums (Girls and Ariel Pink), and they sound fantastic. I came into a bit of extra cash, so I might head back to the record store today and get a few more (I put Discovery and This is Happening on order, and I'm probably gonna put MBDTF on order as well), but between the two that I have and the '80s as gently caress collection of stuff that my dad has (Supertramp, Journey, and Chicago are his favorite bands), I've got plenty to listen to.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Which Ariel Pink album?

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009
I've been selling records on ebay with my dad for coming up a year now, and it's been a pretty fun and rewarding experience. My dad's collection literally takes up our house (the whole attic, a room, various piles around the place) and he has some stupidly rare stuff but he's forgotten most of what he's got so it's been interesting what he's dug up. I am hoping to get this set up as a proper business eventually, as I'd like to get my dad out of his current job which has caused him some serious bouts of depression over the last ten or so years so he can do something he actually loves. I've also been getting into collecting a lot more recently as well, mostly punk, especially 80's anarcho.

Anyway, to the point! Do many of you use ebay to buy/sell? I would like to hear some tips, or what you think is important when buying on there because I basically went into it blind and hoped it would go okay. I have learned quite a few things but you can never know enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ghumbs posted:

Which Ariel Pink album?

Before Today.

I also went back and bought Goblin and Vampire Weekend's debut, put Paul's Boutique on order, because the copy I saw there the other day got sold literally hours before I went in again, and got LCD's London Sessions and Franz Ferdinand's debut ordered from Amazon. Then I went through my iTunes library and put all the stuff I want to get on vinyl on my Amazon wish list so if I ever feel like a new album, I have something to pull from. (of course, I'm totally gonna be getting Girls' new album when that comes out in two weeks, too. this is really loving expensive)