Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

csidle posted:

Does anyone know of a video where he's shown an abandoned mineshaft? The only one I know of is the first video that came out of PAX that was livestreamed from a phone, which means that the quality was really really bad.
Has there been any video but the PAX livestream video for anything about 1.8? If there's been anything I'd like to see it.

The abandoned mineshaft was really cool in that video, incidentally, with broken bits of mine track and cobweb everywhere. Finding neat stuff like that in your underground explorations is going to be really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Norton
Feb 18, 2006

Once the update hits, is there any way to force minecraft to regenerate some of the chunks I've already visited but don't really use. I'd love to have some new terrain near my farming complexes.

Also, why add poison? I think I hate all the enemies except zombies.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

csidle posted:

Does anyone know of a video where he's shown an abandoned mineshaft? The only one I know of is the first video that came out of PAX that was livestreamed from a phone, which means that the quality was really really bad.

here

http://www.justin.tv/fdoke/b/293539704

somewhere between 10:45 and 15:00 of this video he starts flying out away from the coast and lands on an island and discovers an abandoned mine shaft that he explores for about 2 minutes. i'm pretty sure this is what you're talking about. i haven't seen any since.

Norton posted:

Once the update hits, is there any way to force minecraft to regenerate some of the chunks I've already visited but don't really use. I'd love to have some new terrain near my farming complexes.

I think you should be able to do this with MCedit and delete entire chunks. The next time you travel through them it should gen with the new worldgen code. In theory. Or it might just corrupt your world file forever :) We'll know more in a week or two. Judging from the video, the newly generated chunks will probably be water though, unless they're extremely close to spawn.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Aug 30, 2011

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Eiba posted:

Has there been any video but the PAX livestream video for anything about 1.8? If there's been anything I'd like to see it.

The abandoned mineshaft was really cool in that video, incidentally, with broken bits of mine track and cobweb everywhere. Finding neat stuff like that in your underground explorations is going to be really fun.
The IGN video was much better quality and more concise.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Norton posted:

Also, why add poison? I think I hate all the enemies except zombies.

Apparently the poison is only from spiders that hang out in abandoned mines, and they apparently get their own spawner? That's what I got from the wiki's page on coming updates.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Jesus wept. I just checked out the infamous official forums. Genuinely a thread calling for a nerf on skeletons as they were so hard to kill.

I seriously believe a lot of people can't play this game properly (hell, 5 minutes will net you leather armour and an iron/stone sword will do fine) or have been spoon fed by easy games these days. If a creeper blows up my smoothstone gatehouse, I'm pissed off but should have planted cactus defences.

Bring on silverfish and all that. I'm ready, Notch, :black101:

E: for people who are worried about wanting to gen new chunks for 1.8 goodness in them, just make a nether portal with a stone protected pathway. It's what we're planning on in my friends only server. Go through hell to reach new lands!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lord Twisted posted:

E: for people who are worried about wanting to gen new chunks for 1.8 goodness in them, just make a nether portal with a stone protected pathway. It's what we're planning on in my friends only server. Go through hell to reach new lands!

The unofficial plan for the server I play on (Knifeback Mountain) was to do just this. There's a 1000 (1km) block railway/monorail in the nether bedrock, below the lava oceans that ends in "New Spawn", a 100x100 underground cave system where the new portal will be built.

The end result should be a new spawn set 8km (8000 blocks) west of the original spawn when the portal is lit and walked through. That should give us about 6000 blocks between the new spawn and the fringes of the "old spawn" discovered areas. Fingers crossed that the portal pops out somewhere near an island of sorts though. "Continents" in the new world gen code seemed very few and far between in the PAX demos.

That's assuming the portal code even works bug-free at that sort of distance with the new worldgen code :psyduck:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Hadlock posted:

The unofficial plan for the server I play on (Knifeback Mountain) was to do just this. There's a 1000 (1km) block railway/monorail in the nether bedrock, below the lava oceans that ends in "New Spawn", a 100x100 underground cave system where the new portal will be built.

The end result should be a new spawn set 8km (8000 blocks) west of the original spawn when the portal is lit and walked through. That should give us about 6000 blocks between the new spawn and the fringes of the "old spawn" discovered areas. Fingers crossed that the portal pops out somewhere near an island of sorts though. "Continents" in the new world gen code seemed very few and far between in the PAX demos.

That's assuming the portal code even works bug-free at that sort of distance with the new worldgen code :psyduck:

On a goon server where we were horrendously griefed (essentially everything wrecked with no provocation) we did a 500 nether block one of these, via a hidden underground portal. Bug free. It might spawn in an ocean though (ours did in a lagoon) but it makes a little island for it.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
Everyone knows sunken portals at the bottom of an ocean are the best portals anyway.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Wow, that video. That new lighting looks AWESOME

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I don't get why anyone is complaining over the changes in 1.8. I know I'll have to justify them to my girlfriend because she doesn't like change, but they all make sense to me.
Sprinting producing a knockback is going to be especially helpful, and the hunger meter and regenerating health relationship makes sense. Villages, abandoned mines and new biomes will all be welcome additions. The game will really feel more fully realized with a few new mechanics introduced.

gently caress silverfish, though.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Has any information been released about the MOD API?

I'd like to try some basic modding but I don't want to get into it until after the updates since right now everything is a clusterfuck of what to use.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Sylink posted:

Has any information been released about the MOD API?

I'd like to try some basic modding but I don't want to get into it until after the updates since right now everything is a clusterfuck of what to use.

Same here. I'd love for Minecraft to use a Bethesda style modular mod framework.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Same here. I'd love for Minecraft to use a Bethesda style modular mod framework.

Given the companies involved that's a very ironic statement you made there.

Anyways, has any word been said about a release date? Supposing not as nobody's said anything about it in the last few pages.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

I'm REALLY looking forward to 1.8 now. Love all the footage I've seen. The new biomes are just. :allears:

Most encouraging thing I've seen? The enjoyment Notch/Jeb seem to get out of showing off 1.8. Even the most jaded Notch-haters out there can't deny the amount of personal investment those two have in the game.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
As far as modding goes, it's going to be a complete release of the source code so there won't be any API per say.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I'm really looking forward to 1.8. I'll reserve judgment on Enderman and Silverfish until I actually get to play, the rest I'm really excited and giddy about.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I'm more concerned about how 1.8 will run multiplayer. I don't play singleplayer at all anymore. I'm hoping SMP will be a bit more optimized.

I'm also not hearing or seeing much about a height limit increase. Is that going to be in 1.8for sure? There's no feature I want more than to be able to build my buildings very tall. I know there's mods to get around that now, but the admin of the server I play on isn't going to install them.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Master Twig posted:

I'm more concerned about how 1.8 will run multiplayer. I don't play singleplayer at all anymore. I'm hoping SMP will be a bit more optimized.

I'm also not hearing or seeing much about a height limit increase. Is that going to be in 1.8for sure? There's no feature I want more than to be able to build my buildings very tall. I know there's mods to get around that now, but the admin of the server I play on isn't going to install them.

Notch just made it easier for modders to adjust the height limit, there will not be a change in the default height settings.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

tinaun posted:

Notch just made it easier for modders to adjust the height limit, there will not be a change in the default height settings.

I don't even care if the worldgen doesn't take advantage of increased height limits, I'm going to make something huge anyway.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

EightBit posted:

I don't even care if the worldgen doesn't take advantage of increased height limits, I'm going to make something huge anyway.
What he's saying is little is going to change for you because there are already height limit mods, it's just that after 1.8 modders will be able to change it easier and with less risk of breaking things.

notch@twitter posted:

You know that "automatic sharing of map features" thing? Well, we've been discussing it internally for quite some time now. ;D
What does this mean? Is he talking about allowing players to duplicate maps to give to other players? Is he talking about a P2P chunk sharing mechanic - I don't think that's the case, but it would be freakin' cool. Notch, hire me.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Vib Rib posted:

They looked like plains. Very grassy, rolling, mostly flat, no trees.
I'm in it for the world itself, at the end of the day, so seeing these improvements is very reassuring.

That is what stood out to me the most

I'm still bummed (but that much, because who didn't see it coming) that adventure is getting split into 1.8 and 1.9, and it will surely be buggy as all gently caress for each release.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

A Sassy Dog posted:

What he's saying is little is going to change for you because there are already height limit mods, it's just that after 1.8 modders will be able to change it easier and with less risk of breaking things.

Cool. Our server is running Bukkit, so hopefully there will be a simple plugin for that.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?

EightBit posted:

I just want to travelget lost in much larger cave systems with friends. :allears: The current caves are starting to feel a bit small the more I dig and travel through them. Being able to build much larger things will be a bonus.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
So, we finally some words about Steam: click

Notch posted:

At PAX, I got asked why we’re not on Steam with Minecraft, and I had to answer the question straight out for the first time. So I’ll repeat what I said on here, because openess is awesome.

Steam is the best digital distribution platform I’ve ever seen. I’ve spent incredible amounts of money on it, and I own a crazy amount of games on it. It runs great, offers great services like that shift+tab stuff, and it remembers my credit card details so there’s no barrier for me when I want to buy a game. The only downside I can think of is that offline mode is a bit flimsy, and that the game list is sometimes full off DLC releases for stuff I don’t even own, and those are some tiny complaints!

But..

Being on Steam limits a lot of what we’re allowed to do with the game, and how we’re allowed to talk to our users. We (probably?) wouldn’t be able to, say, sell capes or have a map market place on minecraft.net that works with steam customers in a way that keeps Valve happy. It would effectively split the Minecraft community into two parts, where only some of the players can access all of the weird content we want to add to the game.

We are talking to Valve about this, but I definitely understand their reasons for wanting to control their platform. There’s a certain inherent incompatibility between what we want to do and what they want to do.

So there’s no big argument, we just don’t want to limit what we can do with Minecraft. Also, Steam is awesome. Much more awesome than certain other digital distribution platforms that we would NOT want to release Minecraft on.

So we're probably looking at Steam and Minecraft.net-only release or Minecraft.net-only release. Notch wants to sell microtransactions and possibly have a level/map repository (I'd posit they may consider a mod repository as well considering they're going for official coverage). Valve wants DLC in the Steam store, Notch doesn't.

Considering the existence of the Mann Co. Store, I find this all a bit odd.

moondust fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Aug 30, 2011

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

A Sassy Dog posted:

So, we finally some words about Steam: click

So we're probably looking at Steam and Minecraft.net-only release or Minecraft.net-only release. Notch wants to sell microtransactions and possibly have a level/map repository (I'd posit they may consider a mod repository as well considering they're going for official coverage). Valve wants DLC in the Steam store, Notch doesn't.

Considering the existence of the Mann Co. Store, I find this all a bit odd.

Only Minecraft.net. The entire blurb was saying "We're not gonna be on Steam because Steam will limit us." He says this while also praising Steam as a DRM and a Digital Download System

The Mann Co. Store is part of Valve/Steam. Valve/Steam has complete control over the shop. As a 3rd party dev, Notch would not. Notch wants complete control over what goes up.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

ThndrShk2k posted:

Only Minecraft.net. The entire blurb was saying "We're not gonna be on Steam because Steam will limit us."
Is he? He opened saying he was responding to the question of why they aren't on Steam with Minecraft, not why they won't be on Steam with Minecraft. It all seems a bit vague - not necessarily by intent, of course. He also directly says they're talking about it with Valve and uses language like "probably wouldn't [..]" etc. which indicates to me that it's just a tad up in the air at this point. Not that I'm trying to get into a language debate here..

As far as Steam integration, Valve seems to prefer that games use Steam API and account data as much as possible. Minecraft already has a large user database who is identified by a login/account name. Valve's system uses SteamIDs, PINs, and has games directly use the Steam display name as the in-game display name whenever possible. Minecraft would have to be ripped up quite a bit for that to happen.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I cannot wait for 1.8, it's going to completely revitalize my interest in this game. The biome changes alone do so much for me.

I actually like the eating system, exploration of the lands will now require more planning and care (gotta take enough food) and starting a new base will include bringing materials to start a farm. Multiplayer could get more interesting now with mods; someone could make a mod that makes food growing take longer, so that farming/trading food becomes profitable.

The silverfish thing seems kinda dumb, I think it would be neat if they only occurred in smooth stone but won't pop out when you're remodeling your house. I guess we'll see how it goes though.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

A Sassy Dog posted:

Is he? He opened saying he was responding to the question of why they aren't on Steam with Minecraft, not why they won't be on Steam with Minecraft. It all seems a bit vague - not necessarily by intent, of course. He also directly says they're talking about it with Valve and uses language like "probably wouldn't [..]" etc. which indicates to me that it's just a tad up in the air at this point. Not that I'm trying to get into a language debate here..

They are not on steam with minecraft because minecraft hasn't even been remotely released yet. He's talking about why they will not be on steam, after minecraft releases. Could you imagine them releasing an update to MC like they recently did, and then having to wait two days before each iteration of the 'fix' comes out before we get to 1.7.3 and it works again? Aside from this being probably the only 'beta but you get the whole game at this price too' game on Steam.

I think he *has* to go outside of steam and have the microtransaction thing going, because while they've made more money then they certainly hoped to in pre-selling the game, all of those customers aren't obligated to give him another cent, so he needs an after-market that he can work with.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

A Sassy Dog posted:

Is he? He opened saying he was responding to the question of why they aren't on Steam with Minecraft, not why they won't be on Steam with Minecraft. It all seems a bit vague - not necessarily by intent, of course.

It doesn't really read vaguely to me at all, sounds like he's flat out saying Steam is most likely out of the picture unless Valve changes their stance on certain things.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
So I built some stuff on Wilson's SMP server and felt like sharing as they're the only decent things I've made so far in Minecraft.

http://imgur.com/a/dvjan

The ship is based on the HMS Dauntless from Pirates of the Caribbean and built to scale (mostly) for a first rate ship of the line. It just needs to be moved into the water now that it's done. I built it mostly because someone else on the server is currently making the Black Pearl and I couldn't let those pirate dogs go unchecked.

The lighthouse was an excuse to mess about with redstone to give it a rotating/flashing effect with some glowstone, sticky pistons and a redstone clock type circuit. It took me way too long to get the redstone compact enough and the timing right.

And finally my little house, which was hard to get a good picture of since I built a huge loving boat in front of it and ruined my nice view.

Also, come check out Wilson's server in PGS. Lots of awesome poo poo to see and a good regular crowd.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

SheepNameKiller posted:

It doesn't really read vaguely to me at all, sounds like he's flat out saying Steam is most likely out of the picture unless Valve changes their stance on certain things.

That's what I meant essentially. Steam's likely not going to happen unless they can do what they want with the microtransactions. He isn't giving a definite word that it won't be released on Steam but 'here is the reason why we aren't really looking at it'. I'm still hopeful. :(

JerikTelorian posted:

The silverfish thing seems kinda dumb, I think it would be neat if they only occurred in smooth stone but won't pop out when you're remodeling your house. I guess we'll see how it goes though.
I see an incoming silverfish farming machine in which blocks are repeatedly manufactured, placed, and destroyed as silverfish randomly pop out, which are shortly thereafter moved down a ridiculous piston conveyer belt into a suffocation chamber.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

A Sassy Dog posted:

That's what I meant essentially. Steam's likely not going to happen unless they can do what they want with the microtransactions. He isn't giving a definite word that it won't be released on Steam but 'here is the reason why we aren't really looking at it'. I'm still hopeful. :(

I see an incoming silverfish farming machine in which blocks are repeatedly manufactured, placed, and destroyed as silverfish randomly pop out, which are shortly thereafter moved down a ridiculous piston conveyer belt into a suffocation chamber.

Wait, how do you destroy blocks without hitting them? (other than TNT)

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Gravel and sand can be destroyed with pistons/torch trick. Not sure how you'd generate them, though, other than manually refilling the machinery.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I find it doubtful that silverfish will be in blocks placed by the player.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Just wondering, i notice that in 1.8/1.9 the armour bar is gone and replaced with the hunger bar. Does this now mean that armour doesn't have durability like it does now?

That would be a great change, to be honest, makes the diamond cost of diamond armour much more worth it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I'd be satisfied with armor that has durability, but retains the same protection regardless.
Diamond armor would be useful if it gave max protection even when almost fully destroyed, instead of every suit equally protective when full. As it stands, once your diamond armor is at like 75% or less durability you might as well just make fresh iron armor.

thetedster
Jan 31, 2007

A Sassy Dog posted:

What does this mean? Is he talking about allowing players to duplicate maps to give to other players? Is he talking about a P2P chunk sharing mechanic - I don't think that's the case, but it would be freakin' cool. Notch, hire me.

Back when Notch was first starting on infinite worlds he added a few things, like a pyramid, that would occassionally be generated in the world. People wanted to have it pull prebuilt stuff from a repository and place them during terrain generation.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Running across other people's ruins would be pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Javid posted:

Running across other people's ruins would be pretty awesome.

Unless it's random.

Dick ruins would be totally awesome.