Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Have you ever gotten a hardon from logistical planning? Do you enjoy moving things from one point to another? Do steam trains stir intense feelings within you?

Play OpenTTD!

Does the sight of lines on a chart make you feel warm and fuzzy inside?

Server Info
LLJK serverthree
IP: l3.lessthanthree.dk
Password: lljk
Version: 1.4.0

Download
Windows x64
Windows x32

GRF Pack

:siren:#trains on irc.synirc.net:siren:

:siren:Hidden Features:siren:

:siren::siren:MAKE YOUR TRAINS HAPPY (The only instructional material you're gonna get):siren::siren:

See you in game. :3:

less than three fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM
Infrastructure sharing? Copy and paste? Signals in tunnels and bridges? Holy poo poo this might really change how I play the game.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I'm super interested in starting this up, but being a :downs: I'm afraid the OP doesn't elaborate enough on one particular confusing point.

Is this a single player game, if so what is the server info for?

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
It's has single and multiplayer support.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Lord Windy posted:

I'm super interested in starting this up, but being a :downs: I'm afraid the OP doesn't elaborate enough on one particular confusing point.

Is this a single player game, if so what is the server info for?

There's a multiplayer game running constantly so you can come be bad at trains and get help from people. :v:

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

This game is great and one I can waste hours with. The only problem I have with it is that everything but trains feel useless. No one ever uses anything but trains! In singleplayer it's not as bad since the AI will use other stuff (and fail) but multiplayer is just one big trainfest of trains.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
That's sort of the point.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Then why even have anything else?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Sankis posted:

Non trains can actually be useful, for example if you only need to move something a dozen tiles away, or if you want to setup passenger routes within a town/city.

Delamore
Jan 11, 2008

Monocle Man

Sankis posted:

Because every now and then people use them, and it's really cool to see a city that has a massive train network around it built by one player and a massive bus network inside the city built by a second.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Sankis posted:

This game is great and one I can waste hours with. The only problem I have with it is that everything but trains feel useless. No one ever uses anything but trains! In singleplayer it's not as bad since the AI will use other stuff (and fail) but multiplayer is just one big trainfest of trains.

Each map usually only lasts a couple of days so I've been trying something different most games than the previous one and I don't think I'm the only one. I've done road only games and was thinking of trying a shipping game when a watery enough map comes along. I'm a little leery of trying a planes one though, crashing is still active even with breakdowns etc turned off although I suppose if it happens very early on you can just restart a new company.

Each reset usually has a new rule tweak in there somewhere, last nights had 6x cargo weight so my full coal trains seemed to be going slowly enough in 1950 with a Mallard class engine to have a chap with a red flag walking in front of them.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say boils down to : The server resets so often just do what you like! The maps have been big enough for even six or seven players to do their thing and not bash against each others plans too hard.

Thanks again to lessthanthree for hosting the server, I've so many darn Steam games backlogged and untouched and instead I've been happily playing openttd when I've had pc time!

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

less than three posted:

[*] Cargo distribution

This is important for me, because even thought I LOVED the original game back when I was a little kid, when I learned how the economic model works (in vanilla), it made it impossible to return to the game.

How does cargo distribution work in the version you are running? I tried a sort of patch that added cargo distribution a couple years ago, but I was disappointed when I found out that I could still dictate where everything goes, and charge huge premiums for transporting across huge distances, even though industries could still be located next to each other, by simply not including their stations in the same schedule.

Also, passengers would still behave like cattle and pack themselves on my stations, randomly choosing between stations that I had predetermined for them.

I hope I am not being a dick by mentioning another game in a dedicated thread, but Simutrans has a near perfect cargo/passenger distribution system (according to my standards, at least), but it lacks in the graphics department (totally subjective opinion; I have just grown used to the original TTD graphics) and maybe the details in modeling vehicles.

I would love to try OpenTTD again, but I really need a better distribution model :(

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Is there a mac port of this version?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

SwimNurd posted:

Is there a mac port of this version?

You'd have to compile it yourself.

http://wiki.openttd.org/Compiling_on_Mac

The patch differential can be downloaded here.

also, holy gently caress the programmable signals are the most :spergin: thing ever.

less than three fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Aug 30, 2011

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I will work on that today and get you a mirror.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Has the extra zoom levels project ran out of steam? (:downsrim: Okay, I'll get my coat...) The latest version is from back in April from what I could see and the official forum seems dead. Anyone know of a different source or that is it? There are times just being able to go one more zoom level closer to check something would be darn handy.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006
Any suggestions for getting really lovely FPS and performance from this game? It is like 20 years old and somehow still brings my computer to a crawl. I see it is using 50% CPU constantly, I tried setting affinity to just Core 0 or Core 1 (single core game) but no help. Disabled detail and advanced textures. Seems to run perfectly in single player, but on the goon server in the later years it just crawls.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Aero737 posted:

Any suggestions for getting really lovely FPS and performance from this game? It is like 20 years old and somehow still brings my computer to a crawl. I see it is using 50% CPU constantly, I tried setting affinity to just Core 0 or Core 1 (single core game) but no help. Disabled detail and advanced textures. Seems to run perfectly in single player, but on the goon server in the later years it just crawls.

Welcome to playing online with goons that like to max out their vehicle count :v:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Still don't quite understand these programmable signals.

Though I did build a line that alternate back and forth between green and red. (Top right)

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009
Man, I was just starting to burn out on this too. Now I want to try out cargo distribution. My library of unplayed shiny FPS games on Steam will just have to rot a little longer.

Edit: Any idea if the cargo distribution mod works with industry mods like FIRS?

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

New thread! :) whats the chances of getting 32bp working?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Vier posted:

New thread! :) whats the chances of getting 32bp working?

It's already been done and included in the archive.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

How do you guys get started building giant rail networks so fast? My little gold/valuables train can barely earn me money, and it takes forever to fully load up at stations which wastes time and operating costs.

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

Zeether posted:

How do you guys get started building giant rail networks so fast? My little gold/valuables train can barely earn me money, and it takes forever to fully load up at stations which wastes time and operating costs.

http://wiki.openttdcoop.org/Game_Start_with_Trains
http://wiki.openttdcoop.org/Game_Start_with_Airplanes

Answer = COAL

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

NatasDog posted:

Man, I was just starting to burn out on this too. Now I want to try out cargo distribution. My library of unplayed shiny FPS games on Steam will just have to rot a little longer.

Edit: Any idea if the cargo distribution mod works with industry mods like FIRS?

Yeah, it works fine with any cargo. Basically, it distributes cargo to any destination station which is accessible from the source station - so if you only allow one accessible station, that's the only place cargo will go. However, if you have an extensive networks of trains planes and buses, a person at a bus stop at one end of the map might want to end up at an airport at the other side of the map. It's cool.

There's another cargodest patch which gives each bit of cargo a random square (if it's a person it's a house square, if it's some coal it's a power station etc.) as its destination, and if you don't serve that square then the cargo doesn't go, but that's hard as gently caress as you basically have to link up the entire map.

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Jonnty posted:

There's another cargodest patch which gives each bit of cargo a random square (if it's a person it's a house square, if it's some coal it's a power station etc.) as its destination, and if you don't serve that square then the cargo doesn't go, but that's hard as gently caress as you basically have to link up the entire map.
Yeah, that sounds a bit much. Are passengers/mail smart enough to look at a train's schedule and depart on trains that will visit their destination 3-4 stops down the line? If so, this is an awesome addition.

I started playing Simutrans to get that functionality, but the interface and graphics are just terrible. I dicked around with its clunky rear end interface for about 3 hours thinking it might grow on me, but it never did.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is it still possible to play Vanilla single player with this version, or does it have hardcoded changes or something? I'd like to check out the multiplayer server but I'm still pretty new and easily confused. :ohdear:

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is it still possible to play Vanilla single player with this version, or does it have hardcoded changes or something? I'd like to check out the multiplayer server but I'm still pretty new and easily confused. :ohdear:

Just login anyway, I thought exactly the same as you but then thought wth and logged in once and that was it, I haven't managed to play single player for more than a few mins since. Being able to see other peoples networks actually running is far far more helpful than trying to puzzle stuff out on your own or looking at wiki screenshots.

Most people are helpful on the server and will answer stuff, give you some coins to get going etc.

This new server ruleset is interesting, a single terraforming block is 30m quid haha

Edit : Noooooo 32 aircraft is the max >.<

Fazana fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 30, 2011

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

less than three posted:

WHY CAN'T WE PLAY VANILLA. I DON'T LIKE CHANGE. :byodood:
  • More height levels
  • Cargo distribution
  • Automated timetable and seperation
  • Improved Build Station GUI
  • Larger maps
  • Town rating colours
  • Signals in tunnels and on bridges
  • Chunnel
  • Sprinkles
  • Programmable Signals
  • Copy and paste
  • View and click vehicles in tunnels
  • Close adjacent level crossing
  • Panorama screenshots
  • Measurement tool
  • Custom Tree line height
  • Watch other company's GUI
  • Custom tree growth
  • Departure boards + 24h clock
  • Enhanced group information
  • Partial refits
  • Infrastructure Sharing
  • Improved breakdowns
  • Traffic lights
  • Configurable desert

See you in game. :3:

Welp, I know where my night is going tonight. Shortbus Shipping shall rule all again!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Ew.

How do you make this look like it did in a previous/original version? I am not liking the icons.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
I noticed that there are about 40,000 different trains to choose from... lots of lovely ones too.

As for network sharing, prepare for a cluster gently caress of Kirby Steams clogging up your main lines!

Vlishgnath
Mar 27, 2006
Holy balls I never knew there was a Transport Tycoon Deluxe thread. This makes me so happy.

Does this version come with the new soundtrack (I don't know when openTTD started being packaged with the new music files) or the original? If anyone is in need, I have a local copy of the originals for importing purposes. I am old and set in my 1994 ways and do not recognize the new soundtrack as part of my gaming experience.

Much <3 for the existence of this thread :)

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

So with my work mac I can't get the loving game to statically link. I am going to try from home later, but I doubt it will even build with 10.7 and clang.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Zeether posted:

Gold and valuables don't make much money. I usually setup a two plane route between the two largest cities and that tends to get me plenty of money for train shenanigans.

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
Seems the server is self destructing again, doesn't like the high graphics or something!

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

duz posted:

Gold and valuables don't make much money. I usually setup a two plane route between the two largest cities and that tends to get me plenty of money for train shenanigans.

With the ruleset as it is for the trains atm, I'd suggest tweaking aircraft settings as well. Comparatively it's probably way too easy to make money early in the game flying 707's between a city pair on opposite sides of the map. I could buy planes for less than what I could see some of the new trains were costing! For a complete bonkers one off game sometime, please adjust the max aircraft to waaay more than 32. I guess terraforming cost changes affected cities as it just cost me £86m to build a medium sized 986 pop city even on completely flat land :v:

One thing I hadn't appreciated before, it seems some models of planes get better stats over time without being listed as a brand new type of aircraft. My 747 fleet started at 366 passengers but I noticed they could handle 416 by the late 1980s. After fiddling around for a while it seems that if you send an older plane for a proper service using the UI it upgrades it automagically to the better stats \o/

Overall though I like the look of the changes to the core game but I suspect it will take a while to get used to it (on the rail side anyway) as a lot of the changes probably have the info buried in the tt-forums somewhere.

Please use the terraforming settings pretty often, having to work around the terrain is much more interesting.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 30, 2011

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

duz posted:

Funny how the things I'd expect to make a poo poo ton of money won't make much at all. I'll try the coal thing, found a cheat sheet (read: OpenTTD wiki) for making ro-ro stations :smug:

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

less than three posted:

also, holy gently caress the programmable signals are the most :spergin: thing ever.

I read the thread about it on the OpenTTD forums, and I can't even wrap my head around the why of it all, let alone the how.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

SwimNurd posted:

So with my work mac I can't get the loving game to statically link. I am going to try from home later, but I doubt it will even build with 10.7 and clang.

What problem are you having? I'm running 10.7 and through some effort I got it to compile and run alright. Also if you have problems ask pjpe or planetmaker in the #openttd irc channel (on OFTC), since planetmaker is the os x dev for openttd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exewu
Jun 21, 2009
<br>
Best title yet for an OTTD thread yet.
Is there a guide for the programmable signs somewhere? (non ottdcoop, it's not loading for me for some reason?)

• Locked thread