Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

LividLiquid posted:

That never happened. The entire gimmick behind Sid's streak was how bullshit it was and even Tony said this every night. You're thinking of Goldberg's streak.

More specifically, they did this for Goldberg's second streak. There was a storyline where Goldberg had to break the original streak without losing a single match or he'd be fired. Every time he would spear or jackhammer someone, they would add it to the tally if it was in a match or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The booking of the "second streak" was some of the dumbest that WCW ever produced, particularly in it's conclusion. I will never cease to be amused Buff Bagwell was kayfabe responsible for the end of Goldbergs WCW career.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
If you've got cash burning a hole in your pocket, you can own a piece of history: the WCW Saturday Night sign!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WCW-LIVE-SATERDAY-NIGHT-SIGN-/190571409881?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5ef0f1d9#ht_548wt_1202

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Ditch posted:

If you've got cash burning a hole in your pocket, you can own a piece of history: the WCW Saturday Night sign!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WCW-LIVE-SATERDAY-NIGHT-SIGN-/190571409881?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c5ef0f1d9#ht_548wt_1202

It seems like a fake. The person has no history, misspellings and no idea why they would have it.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Look, if you think the good people at Wrestlecrap would be taken in by a fake auction,

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755

bobkatt013 posted:

It seems like a fake. The person has no history, misspellings and no idea why they would have it.

Counterpoint: it's WCW

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Matlock posted:

That is very true

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

MrBling posted:

He wasn't actually like that all the time. But like most everything else with WCW people sure do like to exaggerate all the bad things.

Schiavone was a competent play-by-play guy who was told over the years to focus more and more on the big storylines and eventually around 98 or so he just stopped caring.

Schiavone could work just fine with Tenay and Brain/Dusty besides him and I always find myself defending him for some reason.

I actually like Schiavone's NWA/early-WCW and 1990 WWF work. The WWF work was actually pretty drat solid.

Save Russian Jews
Jun 7, 2007

who the fuck is this guy anyway, i can't even see his face

Lipstick Apathy

Matlock posted:

people from Georgia do not often have a weak concept of spelling and/or grammar, what are you on about?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

It sort of looks like it's in one of those storage lockers you see on Auction Hunters or Storage Wars. Maybe it's been locked up for years in some crew member's storage unit and some enterprising dude bought the locker and is like wtf.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

flashy_mcflash posted:

It sort of looks like it's in one of those storage lockers you see on Auction Hunters or Storage Wars. Maybe it's been locked up for years in some crew member's storage unit and some enterprising dude bought the locker and is like wtf.

For comparison sake:
http://cdn1.iofferphoto.com/img/item/153/480/653/wcw-saturday-night-1992-complete-season-cf1de.jpg

If it's legit, it's clearly damaged (you can tell by looking at the second W). If it's fake, it's a pretty drat good fake.

Sikki Nixx
Sep 3, 2011

Whether you like it, or you don't like it, learn to love it! WOOOOO!
Reading through thiis thread has inspired me to watch every nitro, thunder, and PPV since the first Nitro. Unfortunately I wasn't watching during the Monday wars. Now I can experience the awesomeness, and futiliity that was WCW first hand.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I started doing the same thing, but I am watching the Raws too. Nitro gets old pretty quick until Hall and Nash arrive and they make the show two hours. Its like they didnt want to take any time to promote the PPVs or the undercard, so every week the show was domnated with rhe Dungeon of Doom vs Hogan.

Slamboree '96 was the worst PPV I've ever seen. The doomsday cage match at Uncensored at least had some reedeming qualities about it since it was so horrible. Slamboree was just awful from start to finish.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I watched the fingerpoke of doom randomly the other day, and my god Nash had a lot of pyro. Somehow I forgot that.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

I watched the fingerpoke of doom randomly the other day, and my god Nash had a lot of pyro. Somehow I forgot that.

I'm pretty sure in WCW if you requested pyro they'd give it to you. There were a few guys I recall who had zero reason for needing pyro and never reacted to it but they still got it.

I remember one of the crappy prelim guys that WCW loved to put out there (Mike Enos, Rick Fuller, one of those) had pyro for no explicable reason. Not sure which one it was but he was going to ring to job and had a pyro explosion. It was odd.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Anyone check out WCW night of champions last night?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Lone Rogue posted:

I'm pretty sure in WCW if you requested pyro they'd give it to you. There were a few guys I recall who had zero reason for needing pyro and never reacted to it but they still got it.

I remember one of the crappy prelim guys that WCW loved to put out there (Mike Enos, Rick Fuller, one of those) had pyro for no explicable reason. Not sure which one it was but he was going to ring to job and had a pyro explosion. It was odd.

This is the one thing I hated about WCW even at it's height of popularity - they'd use so much pyro that by the end of the night there was a thick haze in the arena.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Sikki Nixx posted:

Reading through thiis thread has inspired me to watch every nitro, thunder, and PPV since the first Nitro. Unfortunately I wasn't watching during the Monday wars. Now I can experience the awesomeness, and futiliity that was WCW first hand.

Where do you find all of these? Youtube or another video streaming service?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

BigRed0427 posted:

There's a guy on justin that's streaming WCW/WWF from 87-01, with ECW included when it starts.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

1st AD posted:

This is the one thing I hated about WCW even at it's height of popularity - they'd use so much pyro that by the end of the night there was a thick haze in the arena.

In all fairness, this haze is why we all don't have eye-aids from Warrior's run there.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

1st AD posted:

It always seemed smokey at WCW shows. Raw is War would be the same way for the first half hour or so of the show.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yeah Raw usually had the huge pyros at the start of the show, but other than Kane's entrance or some other guys I can't remember, they kept it toned down. They also seemed to run in bigger venues than WCW was near the end, which probably helps with dissipating the smoke.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

1st AD posted:

Yeah Raw usually had the huge pyros at the start of the show, but other than Kane's entrance or some other guys I can't remember, they kept it toned down. They also seemed to run in bigger venues than WCW was near the end, which probably helps with dissipating the smoke.

Watch Goldberg vs. Hogan from the Georgia Dome. That place holds over 40,000 people and it looked like San Francisco in there. Probably due to Goldberg's entrance in itself.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Lone Rogue posted:

It always seemed smokey at WCW shows. Raw is War would be the same way for the first half hour or so of the show.

Raw circa the late 90s did have a weird hazy look that bugged me. I guess that's the reason for it.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I just remembered a scene from a Nitro I watched on the weekend. It was after a PPV where Nash was dressed up as Sting, where he hit someone with a bat.

Anyway down came "fake Sting" again and the announcers were like WELL HERE'S NASH IN HIS MASK AGAIN. Then he removes the mask and underneath it's real Sting in his facepaint!!!

I laughed because I thought the first time that happened was in that TNA gif, but nope.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm just realizing I got duped by this too, but how on earth were we ever fooled into thinking Nash was Sting, considering that Nash is like a foot taller than him?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
My favorite memory of Nitro was when TONS of fake Stings kept coming from the crowd, only to go down with a single hit, until it was revealed that one of them was the real sting and then cleared out the ring. It was brilliant.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA
My favorite memory of Nitro is all the times fans tried to rush the ring and beat up the nWo.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Moose Bigelow posted:

My favorite memory of Nitro is all the times fans tried to rush the ring and beat up the nWo.

I like to think that they were just SO MAD at the nwo that they felt they had to take matters into their own hands. "I'll take out Hogan and I'll be a HERO!"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

I like to think that they were just SO MAD at the nwo that they felt they had to take matters into their own hands. "I'll take out Hogan and I'll be a HERO!"

The greatest will always be someone throwing a baby stroller into the ring.

Think about that. They brought a baby with them in a baby stroller to ring side seats for WCW and when the nWo come out (It might have even been when they formed), someone got so mad they tossed the baby stroller in the ring.

At least they took the baby out.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Lone Rogue posted:

Think about that. They brought a baby with them in a baby stroller to ring side seats for WCW and when the nWo come out (It might have even been when they formed), someone got so mad they tossed the baby stroller in the ring.

A real fan wouldn't have taken the baby out.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Lone Rogue posted:

Is there a video of this?

Sikki Nixx
Sep 3, 2011

BigRed0427 posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WCWMondayNitroOnYT#p/c/C641889F98CF95F6/0/3s7L83LsOKs

He also has a channel for thunder and PPVs.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

Sikki Nixx posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WCWMondayNitroOnYT#p/c/C641889F98CF95F6/0/3s7L83LsOKs

He also has a channel for thunder and PPVs.

I wish he also had a Saturday Night channel. A lot of those 1995 and 1996 PPV felt really weird without Saturday Night to build them.

Sikki Nixx
Sep 3, 2011

Renaissance Spam posted:

I wish he also had a Saturday Night channel. A lot of those 1995 and 1996 PPV felt really weird without Saturday Night to build them.

Yeah, I'm only a month and a half in, and not seeing Saturday, where several debuts took place is a bit jarring. I feel empty having missed the American Males debut. But drat, Scott Riggs looks weird without an eye patch.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Is it bad that I remember all these?

http://us.wwe.com/inside/wcw/forgettable-wcw-competitors

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

The Maestro is far from forgotten.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Maestro's on there. PSP gonna be mad.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I love that when you get to the end of the gallery, it immediately goes to a Scott Steiner gallery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.
I love Ed Leslie is in that gallery 3 times, just edging out Nash's 2