Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
I liked the concept of Project Bob, but is there anything similar to it that eases you into the game instead of like on there when it just BLASTS you with super complicated stats and terminology the second you log in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunblazeGriffin
Jan 27, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm only playing Materia Magica a little right now. I've considered getting back in to UOSSMUD but I've had character from 1-50 half a dozen or so times over the years and can't bring myself to go through it all again, even if some of the higher level classes were decently fun.

Also the system of how you had to use skills, with the job type first(even though some jobs shared spells/skills), usually resulted in a massive wall of aliases for everything. :/

I'm happy to come across someone else who has played MM recently. It was actually the first MUD I ever tried, and that was over a decade ago. I didn't understand much of what was going on because I hadn't even tried D&D or any variant back then.

That being said, I'm looking to explore MUDs again, but I have no clue where I'd like to start. MM would be the obvious choice for me, but I really don't remember it too well, nor did I get very far in it. Does it have a decent RP population? Would it be something I could hop right into as a beginner again?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
MM is a pretty good mud. I am a big fan of its terrain system in particular. It's still one of the bigger popular muds so you'll have lots of other people to play with and it won't be some kind of ghost town.

It's basically a pay for perks operation these days which really pisses some people off but if you're just hopping back in to check things out you can't really go wrong.

Krabkolash
Dec 7, 2006

With this hand I rolled 8d20

AND GOT 160.

FordPRefectLL posted:

I liked the concept of Project Bob, but is there anything similar to it that eases you into the game instead of like on there when it just BLASTS you with super complicated stats and terminology the second you log in?

Pretty much this. A met up with a nice goon and he tried to help me out. But its just so much all at once. I feel like its been long enough since I regularly mudded outside of IRE games that being thrown into something different and thrown into the deep end is just sort of daunting.

chombo
Sep 11, 2001

FordPRefectLL posted:

Well, the two goons I think i tried to advise, I explicitly said to take their time in the mud school and read any helps if necessary or ask questions. I also pointed out that you didn't need to min/max or anything right out the gate, because you really can't all that much. You really just need to spend some time exploring, doing quests and other fast/easy things and seeing what you can and can't handle. There's a lot of poo poo to absorb about the mud as far as improving your character, but you don't need to take it all in at once.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Of course, returning to the game with 21000 some perk levels and having forgotten everything didnt really help me.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

FordPRefectLL posted:

conQuest maybe?

Crux
Apr 9, 2007

Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry...

Sorry.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Yeah there was someone else. They were also a magitek knight but existed before mutants and robots were added. Then again Agni could just be their alt, since iirc, the guy I'm trying to remember was almost always using magitek as his main class.

When they combined MA with monk they didn't tone down skill damage did they? I kind of (over)relied on the MA claws causing monk skills to do retarded amounts of damage (or have chakra heal 2-3x what it should). It was nice having something that was a bit OP (at lower levels) and didn't rely on being a magic class.

There are 6 people over level 200 right now. 8 if you count alts. None of them play anymore.

As far as Monk goes, it's hard to say. In some ways, it feels a lot stronger than I remember it. However, as of a few days ago, there was a massive system change wherein all the jobs on the MUD had their bonuses tweaked. Everything got stronger as it turns out. Who could have predicted that?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Do we have anyone who still plays Discworld? What happened to that Riso guy or whatever his name was that organized an SA club?

Aafter
Apr 14, 2009

A is for After.
Been looking at Aardwolf and BatMUD. Any opinions?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Sheep posted:

Do we have anyone who still plays Discworld? What happened to that Riso guy or whatever his name was that organized an SA club?

I still hop on from time to time, but I mostly just idlechase for an hour or so while I catch up on boards. I don't believe the SA club is active anymore.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Batmud can be pretty fun, but it's a lot more fun with a group. Exploration exp is a great way to level, but sometimes finding a guild etc. can be lovely without help.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I just recently killed off my hell after the end character.

What I liked:
Sims, crafting, etc

What I disliked:
No player economy, no end game for support characters.

Are there any MUDs that you guys know of that allow a person to play a true support role effectively and usefully?

I like the idea of building poo poo from scratch, modding or enhancing equipment, making unique objects.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Hello Sailor posted:

I still hop on from time to time, but I mostly just idlechase for an hour or so while I catch up on boards. I don't believe the SA club is active anymore.

That's a drat shame. I apparently deleted my old characters back when I quit last time, but decided that idlechasing at work can be fun, so I started back up again.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

Sheep posted:

That's a drat shame. I apparently deleted my old characters back when I quit last time, but decided that idlechasing at work can be fun, so I started back up again.

Who are you there? I still have characters on disc.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Phummus posted:

Who are you there? I still have characters on disc.

Playing Ezius at the moment, sure I have a Hat priest somewhere I forgot about as well but I can't remember the name.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

I play vor on Disc. I will log in starting next week. I've forgotten pretty much all of the game mechanics, but it would be fun to play in a group.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Yeah I haven't played in a few years, but it's surprising how easy it is to jump back in since the learning curve is so low. Honestly the hardest part was figuring out the (awesome) parser again. 'get all from bag except money and ring;sell them'. Best and most useful nonstandard functionality I've seen in a MUD in ages.

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

nucleicmaxid posted:

There are a couple of nWoD MU*s with over 100 players regularly.

I just stumbled across one of these called The Reach, which seems to have opened (or re-opened?) only about a month ago. I was honestly shocked when I saw how many people were connected.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I remember back in the 90s there was this MUSH on the uni server called the "Murdoch university people people eating thing(MUPPET)". This bloody mush at various points lived on the main uni webserver, the staff email server, a unix machine in the physics lab, and ultimately on the murdoch student union server (Before eventually dying from neglect after it died out). The thing was sort of legitimate in that it originally came from some research project but ended up as a sort of free floating entity that was sanctioned but not quite, leading to such absurdities as it sitting on the email server, and one day getting kill -9'd by the sysadmin, only for him to be chewed-out by the dept head who was busy building his battletoad arena.

The thing was traversed by a series of portable manholes which lead into one owns houses. You could pick up the manhole and place it anywhere you like, and then once in the house, open the door and back into the world. I usually left mine inside my stomach so I could easily end up disapearing into myself recursively if I wanted to fall outside the world to go experiment with something extra stupid.

MUSH's let folks do some really wierd things.

I doubt most students now-days would even know what a mush, moo or mud is now.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.
Playing Armageddon right now. Made a character on Achaea but then remembered how much effort pvp combat was. Also, have been unable to connect to Achaea lately and I'm betting my character got wiped. Is anyone else having this issue?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Samila posted:

I just stumbled across one of these called The Reach, which seems to have opened (or re-opened?) only about a month ago. I was honestly shocked when I saw how many people were connected.

Yeah, I play there. It's pretty fun, though there are a few fucktards (as always.)

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

Jenner posted:

Playing Armageddon right now. Made a character on Achaea but then remembered how much effort pvp combat was. Also, have been unable to connect to Achaea lately and I'm betting my character got wiped. Is anyone else having this issue?

What's Armageddon like now? Sometimes I think about going back but I'm not sure about their staff. It's been a good 5 years so maybe things are better.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

fnordcircle posted:

What's Armageddon like now? Sometimes I think about going back but I'm not sure about their staff. It's been a good 5 years so maybe things are better.

Worse. 1000x worse. Staff no longer initiates plots, it's all player driven, and the Rp has gone into the shitter, since literally no one on staff gives a gently caress anymore. I even recruited some goons, and then was just straight up embarrassed at the way people Rp'd. If you're looking for anyone to follow the themefiles? Give up. If you're looking to worship the untouchable GodCharacters that have been around since staff stopped running Cool poo poo big enough to kill Utter Badasses, then it's your game.

It's sad really, Arm kicked a bunch of rear end back when it was really good.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I started mudding on The Eternal City back in like.. 2000-2001. Couldn't afford it then, due to being ten years old, and while it seems to have improved lately, it's gone down hill quite a bit.

Moved on to Legends of the Jedi where I've been playing pretty steadily since 2003 or so. At the time of this post there's 24 players and 2 staff members online, and this is the dead of night during backup lag. There's really nothing to say about it that hasn't already been said: fairly rapid leveling, RP-enforced, frequent PVP, permanent (though in certain circumstances restorable) death, periodic pwipes, account points are awarded on death that you can use to buy more powerful races/head starts on leveling/a force-sensitive character. It's pretty sweet and I like it quite a bit, (though that Walldo guy is kind of a dick :ssh:)

I played a Tolkien-themed RPI, Shadows of Isildur, for about a year, but I burnt out and shortly after I burnt out the staff decided they needed to ZOMG CHANGE EVERYTHING, thus negating everything I got burnt out while accomplishing, and closing the game temporarily in the process.

Considering checking out Armageddon.

My preferences tend toward mostly-permanent death and RP-enforced environments. I've tried straight-up MUSHes and never found them enjoyable though, generally because there's too much inter-player drama and too much aversion to any sort of risk, and thus they turn into cliquey circlejerks.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Aug 30, 2011

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Started on LOTJ as Diplomaticus, Bothan Diplomat. Holla if you see me.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

nucleicmaxid posted:

Worse. 1000x worse. Staff no longer initiates plots, it's all player driven, and the Rp has gone into the shitter, since literally no one on staff gives a gently caress anymore. I even recruited some goons, and then was just straight up embarrassed at the way people Rp'd. If you're looking for anyone to follow the themefiles? Give up. If you're looking to worship the untouchable GodCharacters that have been around since staff stopped running Cool poo poo big enough to kill Utter Badasses, then it's your game.

It's sad really, Arm kicked a bunch of rear end back when it was really good.

I was a staffmember for about a year back around 2002/2003. I retired cause I was too tired of policing players, etc, and because of typical MUD drama.

I later had issues with Nessalin and Sanvean, the former because he's ridiculous and the latter because of something that was my fault. I logged in one day to find my account banned and was like, well, that was that. Never got an explanation but I suspect it had to do with posting silly threads in their offtopic forum. Not offensive, just silly. I think the thread that got me banned was a thread encouraging people to eat more fiber.

To lose my character and account for that made me think I didn't want to put my hard work in the hands of people who would do that.

I still toy with the idea of coming back just because I loved the environment and playing it as a solo survival mud was pretty fun. But I can't help but to wonder if I'd end up getting banned again after putting more work and care into a character because of something that was BS because one of the main Imms decides he or she doesn't like you.

I remember one player was drawing characatures of the Imms. It was quaint, whatever. Nessalin told the player in question not to draw anything for his Imm account. So the player just used a Sun image and called it Nessalin for his Imm portrait collage. Nessalin banned him. Such a human being.

fnordcircle fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 30, 2011

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

fnordcircle posted:

I was a staffmember for about a year back around 2002/2003. I retired cause I was too tired of policing players, etc, and because of typical MUD drama.

I later had issues with Nessalin and Sanvean, the former because he's ridiculous and the latter because of something that was my fault. I logged in one day to find my account banned and was like, well, that was that. Never got an explanation but I suspect it had to do with posting silly threads in their offtopic forum. Not offensive, just silly. I think the thread that got me banned was a thread encouraging people to eat more fiber.

To lose my character and account for that made me think I didn't want to put my hard work in the hands of people who would do that.

I still toy with the idea of coming back just because I loved the environment and playing it as a solo survival mud was pretty fun. But I can't help but to wonder if I'd end up getting banned again after putting more work and care into a character because of something that was BS because one of the main Imms decides he or she doesn't like you.

I remember one player was drawing characatures of the Imms. It was quaint, whatever. Nessalin told the player in question not to draw anything for his Imm account. So the player just used a Sun image and called it Nessalin for his Imm portrait collage. Nessalin banned him. Such a human being.

Yep. Which staffmember were you? I've been playing since about 2001. But yeah, that's pretty much how it is, except Nessalin doesn't do much and it's um.. Nyr now who is an utter cock for no reason to people. And theme is just straight out the window, especially in Allanak. It's hilariously bad compared to when it could be so very cool, I recently just stopped logging in because I was so tired of it.

Also there's a bunch of OOC drama because half of them go to APMs and cheat in spouses/each other/etc. It's just nerd drama at it's highest and it spills into IC.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

nucleicmaxid posted:

Yep. Which staffmember were you? I've been playing since about 2001. But yeah, that's pretty much how it is, except Nessalin doesn't do much and it's um.. Nyr now who is an utter cock for no reason to people. And theme is just straight out the window, especially in Allanak. It's hilariously bad compared to when it could be so very cool, I recently just stopped logging in because I was so tired of it.

Also there's a bunch of OOC drama because half of them go to APMs and cheat in spouses/each other/etc. It's just nerd drama at it's highest and it spills into IC.

Yeah I went to the Imm gathering, not the APM.

I was Narlac there, never did much of note other than play the Borsail senator during the trial of that one chick who was a Merchant who then became a Tuluki noble house. You probably have never heard of me.

I also helped kill Pearl with that necro window spell on a character of mine but I thought that whole thing went down really lovely and I felt bad for Pearl. Basically here is an extremely long-lived character and 10 loving people wearing masks jump out of a hole in nothing 'kill pearl' and she drops to the ground before she knows what happens. I wasn't an Imm at that point but I was shocked and did one of those immortal messages about how bad I felt about how it went down.

I dunno, such a great game but I really never got some of the staff members. I remember my first day as staff I was like 'hi' to Nessalin, and told him I work in network engineering, thinking I could be of assistance in running the tech side of poo poo too and he goes 'I don't loving care about your life.'

Then I met him at an Imm gathering and he's a fat, pasty long-haired and quiet-spoken nerd. I'll never understand superiority complexes from Mud immortals.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Chalk up another tally for the group of players who feel like Armageddon's glory days have more or less passed. It's a real shame--I've had more fun on that game than any other, but a lot of recent changes to things have driven the quality of it pretty far down the drain.

I know all the grumpy old veteran players say this, but I agree that the majority of the game's staff just doesn't seem to give a poo poo. You have to beg and plead and incessantly pester them for anything that involves even the tiniest amount of effort.

Here's a good example:

A while back, I played a Kuraci family member that ended up living for about 28 months. During the tenure of this PC, I had about twelve different immortals over the clan at various times.

At no time during that two+ year period was a single staff member able to answer some extremely basic questions I had, such as: how many people are in the Kuraci Fist? About how many people live in Luir's Outpost? They asked me to rewrite the clan documentation to update it. So I did, but they wouldn't tell me or were unable to unearth even the most basic loving information for the project, so I had to fumble around in the dark bullshitting and using vague words to cover all the stuff I didn't know. Then after several months of effort, I got a new staffer who said "thanks but no thanks bro, the docs from 1996 are fine."

And since they're churning through Storytellers at the rate of about a dozen a year these days, none of the current staff have been around long enough to really know what's what. It's pretty embarrassing when you compare things to how they were several years ago.

P.S., Nessalin is still a crazy old rear end in a top hat with inexplicable mood swings. But I'd take him over the current crop any day, since at least he DID poo poo once in a while. :psypop:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
So Legends of the Jedi -- I'm on coruscant. My blaster is out of ammo. Where the hell do I get more? Also where do I go to get a better weapon.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I've started LotJ like five times, and I probably have all kinds of don't have to grind points, but I still have no idea how to play it. It's really weird.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI
RE: Armageddon

I just started playing again and the nostalgia overload is high. It's been about 5 years.

What are some of the recent changes that are pissing people off? I've read a lot of comments like 'I am unhappy with where the game is going so I am quitting' but I'm not sure what they are referring to.

I can't believe they have skill level indicators now. That was anathema to everything they used to do.

What's the defense nerf? Can a ranger do anything solo anymore with all the bash spam people are talking about?

What other things are different from 5 years ago that I'm going to hate now?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
And I just got PKd by some tool. At level 4. This game.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Diplomaticus, you should roll a zabrak combatant named Combaticus. Probably a little easier to learn the game on.

Ammunition is all over the place, but one place it is not in abundance without killing ghouls is Coruscant. Lorrd is nearby, if you look around there you should find some stuff.

EDIT: also wtf did someone really PK you?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Yeah. I rerolled a combat dude named Leif.

I'm a little confused as to what ammunition is. I have some batteries/powercells -- that work?

Also is there some way to compare items in a shop to what you have, so I know if what I'm buying is an improvement?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

There's three different ammo types.

Ammunition:
Repeaters, Pistols, and Rifles

Batteries(Powercells are batteries):
Forcepikes, Vibroblades and Lightsabers

Quarrels:
Bowcasters

A lot of the equipment you will get won't really be comparable to stuff in shops. The best armor is made by engineers, and there's a generally agreed upon best set of other equipment.

I would recommend joining a clan like the Republic if you're new to the game, it's the easiest way to get IC help on LOTJ. You'll probably get combat training and a free set of equipment if you do.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Man there is like no guidance on where to go to kill things. I'm on Corellia now because there was literally no weapons for sale on coruscant. It took me almost 3 hours to slowboat my way in because it wouldn't let me hyperspace less than 30000 distance away

Now I'm here, I got what I think is a decent gun (da-7 heavy blaster pistol or something like that). And I have no idea where to get ammo or what it looks like, and I have no idea where to go to shoot things.

I'm really getting frustrated with this. There's exploration, and then there's intentional frustration.

The only thing I've managed so far was to wander into the water by the lighthouse and start drowning. Somehow I found some sort of crystal (Kastellian crystal or something) and snagged it, just barely getting out before drowning.

If this is the norm, and I can't get to some place where there is a nice, regular "grind mobs, buy more ammo, sell loot, repeat" area, I'm going to say gently caress it.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

LOTJ doesn't really have a grind mobs type area, that gameplay is sadly somewhat missing. It's a little difficult for brand new players if you're expecting that kind of gameplay, which is unfortunate because that's a huge step in the wrong direction as far as newbie friendliness goes. LOTJ has some nasty code that essentially saps all of the experience if you spend too much leveling on one mob, and it's really difficult to level to 150 that way. The game is less about the leveling process and more what you do once you're leveled, which is a little confusing.

Tell you what, hang out on Corellia for a little bit, preferably near the landing pads. I'll be right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Joining an IC clan is really one of the best ways to get started, even though right now they're all pretty retarded. Coruscant and Arkania both have training areas where you can kill holograms for XP.

There aren't really grind mobs > get loot > sell loot areas, as it's not really that sort of a game. In fact I can only really think of two areas where you can kill mobs to get loot worth buying/selling, and both require a lot higher levels and better weapons.

The weird thing with LotJ is the game is balanced around the idea of getting to your level maxes ASAP, so the standard MUD rhythm of kill critters > gain levels > kill slightly harder critters > repeat doesn't work. Instead you power through your levels as quickly as possible (you can even pay someone with a leadership main class and an appropriate subclass to powerlevel you, some will even do it for a share of the level-up credits), and then go RP.

TL;DR: Join a clan, pay to get powerleveled; I don't remember where there are ammo cells right now but they're usually in engineering good shops.

Oh, your crazy experience with hyperspace dumping you way far away from the planet, sometimes that's a bug, and sometimes it's because you're just doing "calculate <system>" when you need to "calculate <system> <coordinates>".

FordPRefectLL posted:

LOTJ doesn't really have a grind mobs type area, that gameplay is sadly somewhat missing. It's a little difficult for brand new players if you're expecting that kind of gameplay, which is unfortunate because that's a huge step in the wrong direction as far as newbie friendliness goes. LOTJ has some nasty code that essentially saps all of the experience if you spend too much leveling on one mob, and it's really difficult to level to 150 that way. The game is less about the leveling process and more what you do once you're leveled, which is a little confusing.

Tell you what, hang out on Corellia for a little bit, preferably near the landing pads. I'll be right there.

They've actually changed levelling quite a bit, so leader mains can powerlevel people with no XP drop, the XP drop over all is much less vicious, and you get way more XP for minor things. But hosed if I'll actually go level things manually so I dunno how different it is. I just know I levelled piloting by spamming status.

hailthefish fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 2, 2011

• Locked thread