Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Space Racist posted:

I can't remember if you mentioned earlier if you're new to Apple or not, but if you're beyond the two week return period, you should have a very easy time selling the MBA for most of its original value. Check SA Mart and eBay to get an idea of typical selling prices.

e: Nevermind apparently, glad you weren't too late!

Not new to Apple products, just their desktops and laptops.

Interestingly, the order date WAS more than 2 weeks ago (just barely) but their website still took it. Great customer service by them is why I'll continue buying from them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Hamburglar posted:

Not new to Apple products, just their desktops and laptops.

Interestingly, the order date WAS more than 2 weeks ago (just barely) but their website still took it. Great customer service by them is why I'll continue buying from them.

Awesome, glad it worked out. Anyway, Macs are essentially the Hondas of the computer resell market. :iiaca:

Question for multiple Mac owners: do you all do Time Machine backups via Time Capsule/Airport Extreme, or do you just worry about them for your primary computer? As is I have a USB external handling my backups on my iMac, with my MBA mostly working as a portable extension of the iMac with mostly the same files and the like. That said, I'm wondering for flexibility's sake if it'd be worth it to move the external to my AEBS and handle backups wirelessly for both computers, or if it'd be dog slow and not worth it as opposed to just copying important files over to the iMac for safe keeping.

Funny thing is, I suspect I have more to worry about failure-wise from my iMac's HDD than I do from the MBA's SSD.

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

You don't even have to move the drive; you can share the drive from the iMac and back up to that (I'd recommend dividing it into two partitions). I use my mini this way to back up multiple Macs.

The laptop should also theoretically be able to wake-on-LAN the iMac if it's sleeping.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Huh, I don't know why I didn't even consider that option. Obviously speed would be the same for the iMac, but how would it compare in the MBA's case to backing up via the AEBS? Any faster or slower?

headfake
Aug 6, 2011

I don't know because I've never tried the AEBS option, but I don't see any reason it would be significantly different.

When I back up laptops this way, I usually run it once per day manually (hourly is excessive and gets in the way, especially if you need to close the lid while it's running; it can take a while to recover from that), and the backup would take <10 minutes on a normal day (1 gig or less of changes).

EDIT: Also, after you start the backup in the "remote" format (backs up into a sparse bundle instead of directly onto the file system), you can still unplug the drive and plug it directly into the laptop if you want, and it will still work (if you need to do a restore or have a lot of changes).

headfake fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Aug 30, 2011

Kilted Yaksman
Sep 25, 2003

SpoonsForThought posted:

You're going to have to chat with one of their customer reps. I had to chat with 3 of them to find one who would apply it. Just be careful though, there are some reports on the MacRumors forums that if you harass too many of the reps they could ban your account.
I just spent a half hour on the phone with their customer service, and they insisted that only the older models are eligible :(

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does anyone sell solid, plain black keys for the MacBook Pro? Like, ones that are blank?

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
At work we have a late 2006 iMac (Intel!) that has started randomly turning off all on its own. I think its a bad power supply, any idea what Apple would charge for a new PS?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

SATA III issue, as OWC uses SandForce drives and they have the same problem. Jury is still out on whether it's the controller or the cable:

http://blog.macsales.com/9754-owc-offers-fix-for-2011-17-mbp-sata-problems

Basically, a shielded cable fixes it for some users, disconnecting the battery indicator fixes it for some, and it looks to be most common in the 17" MBP.

You can always get an Intel 320...
...which would get you another 50GB for about the same price. Or some other 256GB drive for about $170 less, I got my Samsung 470 for $400 or so recently and saw others in the same range too.

Space Racist posted:

Huh, I don't know why I didn't even consider that option. Obviously speed would be the same for the iMac, but how would it compare in the MBA's case to backing up via the AEBS? Any faster or slower?
I'd guess faster just cause the CPU, but depending on how you're connecting the MBA you may not get any noticeable improvement.

frogbs posted:

At work we have a late 2006 iMac (Intel!) that has started randomly turning off all on its own. I think its a bad power supply, any idea what Apple would charge for a new PS?
This was the first hit for "2006 iMac parts", and if those prices are any indication I'd guess $200 at least. No clue how easy or hard it'd be to replace it yourself if you wanted to go that route (assuming the repair cost is high).

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

frogbs posted:

If you brought it to a Fruit Stand they might charge around $60-$70, it's basically the same power supply from the old iSight-equipped G5 iMacs.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Binary Badger posted:

If you brought it to a Fruit Stand they might charge around $60-$70, it's basically the same power supply from the old iSight-equipped G5 iMacs.

Ok, thats not so bad, how much does apple charge to actually perform the repair?

Also, we have an Apple Certified repair place just down the road that charges $85/hr just to look at it. Is that competitive with what Apple charges?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

frogbs posted:

Also, we have an Apple Certified repair place just down the road that charges $85/hr just to look at it. Is that competitive with what Apple charges?

Most (but not all) AASPs will apply their diagnostic charges toward your repair. They just don't want the endless parade of people coming in for "Yep, we tested it, your power supply's bad," walking out the door with a declined repair for $0, and then buying what they need from iFixit.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

^^^ Yeah, really, I used to get so sick of that, never went the iFixit route though

For something out of warranty, Apple is definitely going to charge something. But it may vary among the Fruit Stands, you should call the nearest one to you and find out.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 31, 2011

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

Binary Badger posted:

^^^ Yeah, really, I used to get so sick of that, never went the iFixit route though

For something out of warranty, Apple is definitely going to charge something. But it may vary among the Fruit Stands, you should call the nearest one to you and find out.

New power supply from the Apple Store is $106.50, not bad! The AASP down the street would charge $60 regardless plus time & parts, and it certainly would have been more than $106. Plus Apple had the part on hand!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

So I'm still looking to put a 7200 RPM HDD into my 13" MBP, and had settled on the WD Scorpio black 500 GB off Amazon (but hadn't ordered it yet).

I saw this come up today as a Shell Shocker on Newegg, and was curious as to if anyone has any experience with it: Hitachi Travelstar Z7K320? $39.99 seems like a rather good price, though I tried doing some searches online and couldn't find much in the way of reviews/comparisons to other 2.5" HDDs.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

SourKraut posted:

So I'm still looking to put a 7200 RPM HDD into my 13" MBP, and had settled on the WD Scorpio black 500 GB off Amazon (but hadn't ordered it yet).

I saw this come up today as a Shell Shocker on Newegg, and was curious as to if anyone has any experience with it: Hitachi Travelstar Z7K320? $39.99 seems like a rather good price, though I tried doing some searches online and couldn't find much in the way of reviews/comparisons to other 2.5" HDDs.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/internal-hard-drives/1284097/hitachi-z7k320

Doesn't seem like it's a bad drive. Are you sure 320GB is enough? I'd be tempted to get a faster, bigger drive.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/internal-hard-drives/1284097/hitachi-z7k320

Doesn't seem like it's a bad drive. Are you sure 320GB is enough? I'd be tempted to get a faster, bigger drive.

I think so, I'd probably partition it as ~ 100GB for Windows 7 and 200GB for OS X. Ultimately I just plan on using it until I can pick up a decent 256 GB SSD later this year or early next.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SourKraut posted:

I think so, I'd probably partition it as ~ 100GB for Windows 7 and 200GB for OS X. Ultimately I just plan on using it until I can pick up a decent 256 GB SSD later this year or early next.

Yea, there's not really enough space to do much dual-booting or VM's on < $200 SSD's right now

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
gently caress, too bad that is sold out. I need something for my optibay.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Yea, there's not really enough space to do much dual-booting or VM's on < $200 SSD's right now

Yeah, I'm hoping that maybe either later this year (Black Friday? Probably not...) maybe we'll see some additional great deals again, something similar to the deal Newegg had on the WD SiliconEdge Blue 256GB SSD back in June.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

SourKraut posted:

Yeah, I'm hoping that maybe either later this year (Black Friday? Probably not...) maybe we'll see some additional great deals again, something similar to the deal Newegg had on the WD SiliconEdge Blue 256GB SSD back in June.

I'm still kicking myself for missing that deal by a matter of seconds :argh:

I want cheap(er), high(er) capacity SSDs now, damnit!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

SourKraut posted:

Kind of a lovely disk and they got all bought up by douchebags trying to sell them afterwards for a profit. There was a deal in SA-Mart where some guy sold like 2 256GB drives and 2 64GB drives for $400 ridiculous though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Oneiros posted:

I'm still kicking myself for missing that deal by a matter of seconds :argh:

I want cheap(er), high(er) capacity SSDs now, damnit!

Yeah I was really pissed then too because I went and added it to my cart as soon as the deal activated, but had forgotten to log in. By the time I logged in and went to confirm the order, I got the wonderful message saying it'd been taken out of my cart.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I opened a bottle of Dr. Pepper a fair distance away from my 13" 2009 Macbook Pro, but not far enough that the contents of the well-shaken bottle didn't land in a flurry of droplets all over my keyboard (and loving everywhere else in my living room).

I wiped my computer down before powering it off. But it wasn't before powering it off that I noticed that my 'E' key was completely nonfunctional.

I tested all of the other keys. They were working fine before I powered off. I dry q-tipped and dry paper toweled the entire surface of my keyboard, as well as the inside of the E key.

I soft shut down my computer and plugged it in to charge overnight. I then realized that plugging it in was a lovely idea, and upon unplugging the cord, the computer immediately powered on by itself. Freaked out, I force shut it down, only for it to immediately turn itself back on and arrive at my desktop. I force shut down again. Again, it turned back on, and sent me to a login screen for my account, which I had set in Preferences not to appear.

What the gently caress is going on? What do I do? I have Applecare, but I know that liquid damage isn't covered by these things.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I opened a bottle of Dr. Pepper a fair distance away from my 13" 2009 Macbook Pro, but not far enough that the contents of the well-shaken bottle didn't land in a flurry of droplets all over my keyboard (and loving everywhere else in my living room).

I wiped my computer down before powering it off. But it wasn't before powering it off that I noticed that my 'E' key was completely nonfunctional.

I tested all of the other keys. They were working fine before I powered off. I dry q-tipped and dry paper toweled the entire surface of my keyboard, as well as the inside of the E key.

I soft shut down my computer and plugged it in to charge overnight. I then realized that plugging it in was a lovely idea, and upon unplugging the cord, the computer immediately powered on by itself. Freaked out, I force shut it down, only for it to immediately turn itself back on and arrive at my desktop. I force shut down again. Again, it turned back on, and sent me to a login screen for my account, which I had set in Preferences not to appear.

What the gently caress is going on? What do I do? I have Applecare, but I know that liquid damage isn't covered by these things.
The power button sort of connects through the keyboard (at least the same connector) so that may be shorted along with the nonworking keyboard key. Probably not covered (unless it looks impeccably clean and no one notices) and the part is not too cheap. But definitely fixable.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Take it in and be honest. My coworker's wife just spilled liquid in her 6 month-old MacBook. The system still operated fine so at least the logic board wasn't shot. However, some of the keys stopped working. She took it into the Apple Store, explained what happened, and they did a keyboard replacement under the standard warranty. She doesn't even have extended AppleCare. It might have helped that she was having topcase cracking issues that are apparently a replace-on-sight sort of thing with the MacBooks. It's worth a shot.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Take it in and be honest.
This should be printed in every error dialog box and inside the case of every computer everywhere.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Well I guess my Applecare expired! That's weird. Am I hosed when I bring it in tomorrow? Again I can't imagine that very much liquid at all got into the computer, and probably only when I started wiping it down did it actually travel underneath the keys.

If so, how hosed would ya'll say I am $$$-wise?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Well I guess my Applecare expired! That's weird. Am I hosed when I bring it in tomorrow? Again I can't imagine that very much liquid at all got into the computer, and probably only when I started wiping it down did it actually travel underneath the keys.

If so, how hosed would ya'll say I am $$$-wise?

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Pro-13-Inch-Unibody-Upper-Case/IF163-000

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Good thing I went to 16gbs. Not sure what all is using it, but, it's being used.

Edit: And to think a few months ago I was using a Core Duo iMac w/ 2gb of ram and a slow 250gb drive. Now quad i5, SSD, and 16gb ram...mmm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'd like to add that I am now unable to turn on my computer. :(

Whether this is the fault of an uncooperative power button or a hosed up computer is unclear to me. Either way...loving hell.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Anyone used Samsung HDDs in the MBPs or such? Newegg has a 500GB, 7200RPM drive on sale for $50 and since I didn't get the Hitachi that was on Shell Shocker before it sold out figured I'd maybe give this drive a chance unless anyone has had bad experiences with it. Posting it too since some others mentioned they were looking for HDDs for optibays/etc.

meme23
Aug 21, 2011

by T. Finn
My Macbook Pro has slowly been getting slower and slower and it's really starting to bug me. Latest version.

Especialy flash, it slows the computer to a crawl.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've put my base model 2010 MacBook Air up for sale in SAMart.

It pains me to do it but I simply don't need a notebook anymore.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

I'd like to add that I am now unable to turn on my computer. :(

Whether this is the fault of an uncooperative power button or a hosed up computer is unclear to me. Either way...loving hell.

I took a system in recently that was OOW, and was told they have a flat $310 repair option - fixes anything broken. Not sure what it's worth to you but that's maybe something to think about.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

SourKraut posted:

Anyone used Samsung HDDs in the MBPs or such? Newegg has a 500GB, 7200RPM drive on sale for $50 and since I didn't get the Hitachi that was on Shell Shocker before it sold out figured I'd maybe give this drive a chance unless anyone has had bad experiences with it. Posting it too since some others mentioned they were looking for HDDs for optibays/etc.

I too was looking into putting a Samsung HD in my early, unibody MB. Moreover, are 5400 rpm drives more recommended for laptops (battery and heat)?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

5400 RPM drives are pretty much just bargain binners at this point, useful for their initial cost.

Current 7200 RPM drives like the Hitachi TravelStar H2IK5001672SP and the WD Scorpio Black have been optimized to consume just about the same amount of power as 5400 drives. I use the former only because I can get them for $60.

Newegg just put Samsung Spinpoint 7200 500GB drives up for $50..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152236

Edit: its power usage specs aren't quite as good as the WDC or Travelstar drives, but to each his own..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 1, 2011

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

pipebomb posted:

I took a system in recently that was OOW, and was told they have a flat $310 repair option - fixes anything broken. Not sure what it's worth to you but that's maybe something to think about.

For what it's worth, I was just told that doesn't cover anything substantially more expensive than the service; the logic board (mine being quite dead) was specifically called out as being an additional parts cost on top.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

5400 RPM drives are pretty much just bargain binners at this point, useful for their initial cost.
Actually it's turning into the opposite. The new 1TB Caviar Blue (5400 RPM) is faster than the old 500GB Caviar Black (7200 RPM). I wouldn't be surprised if we stop seeing 7200 RPM laptop drives completely because the performance delta isn't that significant anymore, and anyone who cares about performance will go SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Actually it's turning into the opposite. The new 1TB Caviar Blue (5400 RPM) is faster than the old 500GB Caviar Black (7200 RPM). I wouldn't be surprised if we stop seeing 7200 RPM laptop drives completely because the performance delta isn't that significant anymore, and anyone who cares about performance will go SSD.

Won't they always make them, since 7200 RPM 2.5" drives will be used in servers as well?