Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Famine posted:

any there any cheat codes released? I am almost always out of ammo
Shoot less. Most enemies will go down with a single headshot. You should have a general ammo profit if you take your time and choose your shots. Remember that JC can't walk and chew gum at the same time: if you're moving while you shoot you won't be able to hit the broad side of an abandoned warehouse. Take advantage of turrets that can be hacked to shoot your enemies, or try luring enemies into friendly soldiers or security bots. You also have a riot prod that will stun enemies while you take them down with your knife or baton, although prod ammo is a little harder to come by than bullets. Prod with the prod. A single tranquilizer shot will also bring down most enemies if you hit them anywhere on the body. Hit them in the arm, hide, wait for them to forget you exist and fall down. A nonlethal takedown is always the most silent takedown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Fuzz posted:

I tried to use it and the DX10 renderer on the Steam version but it immediately crashes to desktop on launch, couldn't figure out why from all their bug forums, but I wasn't the only one with that problem.

Frankly I was kind of appalled that they didn't redo ANY of the character textures... I mean come on, there's only like 40 or so of them in the whole game anyway, would it really have been that hard to do? With the DX10 renderer you wouldn't even need to redo models or animations to make them look quite a bit better.

This is what exactly happened to me. That's why I was asking if there was a compatibility issue between the exe/DX10 patches and the steam version of the game.

edit: inside the texture pack in the op were the DX10 things and the launcher. I just copied these in and they work. Although I don't know if I've done the textures right. Are there any side by side shots of them online?

Kin fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Aug 30, 2011

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Famine posted:

any there any cheat codes released? I am almost always out of ammo

I think you have the wrong thread, this is DX1. There are millions of cheats for DX1, google man.

HMC
May 18, 2009

I only recently realized that I can carry bodies pretty much anywhere. What kind of fun can I have with this?

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

HMC posted:

I only recently realized that I can carry bodies pretty much anywhere. What kind of fun can I have with this?

I ended up carrying Gunther's unconscious body to Morgan Everett's house. I figured he wanted to put him on ice like DeBeers.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
I made it up to the poor NSF guy I put to sleep first thing by taking him on a tour throughout the world with JC. He loved it. He was a bit quiet though, and people didn't talk to him ever :smith:

I left him with his good buddy the karkarian in china.

boof
Jun 3, 2001
Once I discovered that, I knocked out Manderley and carried him through the rest of the game. Here he is with me at the end as I go to merge with Helios to make the ultimate JC + Helios + Manderley AI.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Fuzz posted:

I tried to use it and the DX10 renderer on the Steam version but it immediately crashes to desktop on launch, couldn't figure out why from all their bug forums, but I wasn't the only one with that problem.

Are you running Windows Vista or 7 and have a DX10 compatible video card? I'm not sure if the Deus Exe is required for the renderer to work but I haven't tested it with the regular exe. If else fails, try running it with the updated OpenGL renderer which comes with New Vision, it works both in XP and above.

quote:

Frankly I was kind of appalled that they didn't redo ANY of the character textures... I mean come on, there's only like 40 or so of them in the whole game anyway, would it really have been that hard to do? With the DX10 renderer you wouldn't even need to redo models or animations to make them look quite a bit better.

I don't have any experience on Unreal engine modification, but I'd guess that the problem is mostly that the high-resolution textures don't help much as the base models have so few polygons. And changed resolution might cause texture mapping problems so you'd have to edit the model anyway. So for high-resolution characters one should start from scratch, e.g. Agent Herrman.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
How do I go about upgrading my abilities like I did after clicking new game? Like putting points into pistols or computers or whatever?

Also, where do I get ammo? Only getting 1 bullet from a downed enemy is kind of annoying. I feel like I'm being forced to stealth through the game.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Does anyone have a mirror of the fixed .exe? The site it's hosted on is down right now.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

Kin posted:

How do I go about upgrading my abilities like I did after clicking new game? Like putting points into pistols or computers or whatever?

Also, where do I get ammo? Only getting 1 bullet from a downed enemy is kind of annoying. I feel like I'm being forced to stealth through the game.

Go to your inventory, along the top, click 'Skills' you can spend your skill points there.

Ammo is all over the place. In ammo crates, in locked cupboards, or just lying around. Keep your eyes peeled and try to explore each level, you'll find it.

Storm-
Jan 7, 2007

You win some, you lose some... then you lose some more.

Can you sell items in Invisible War? Found 3 pistols so wondering if I can just discard the other 2.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Ruining Win 7 64 on a GTX 560Ti. It's not the hardware, unless maybe it's too new. I think it's the Steam copy that's the culprit.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kin posted:

Open the character screen, click the "upgrade" button next to the skill you want to increase. You need to have enough XP.

quote:

You should be getting more than one bullet from enemies, and in general it should only take you 1-2 shots to take them down if you go for headshots. Even if you play ultraviolent, you shouldn't have ammo issues.

Apart from that, the general answer is: explore more. There's ammo in crates, ammo under docks and in sunken ships, ammo in lockers, ammo everywhere if you look around.

Using multiple weapons helps too. Carry a pistol, a shotgun, and a crossbow and odds are you'll always have ammo for at least one of them. Bring a melee weapon along for backup just in case.

Finally, some NPCs will sell you ammo, but unless they're offering an ammo type you're heavily dependent on or have a lot of difficulty finding, this is rarely worthwhile, or necessary.

A whole bunch of people posted:

Don't use Biomod on your first playthrough.

This is terrible advice. It's not like people are recommending the Nameless Mod; I'd consider Biomod practically a necessity, even for a first playthrough. It does for aug management what the DX10 renderer does for screen resolution, except that the renderer only makes it look better, while Biomod makes it much more fun by removing the game's single worst and most pervasive source of annoyance and fixing a laundry list of bugs.

No-one suggests playing STALKER without Complete installed, or VtMB without the unofficial patch. Why is Deus Ex different? It's good, but it's not like it's a holy relic that everyone must experience in its purest form once before they die. It's a game, and if I'm recommending it to someone for the first time, I'd rather they play and enjoy it than give up in disgust halfway through because they're used to ten years of games with UIs that don't suck.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I won't get involved in discussions of whether people should play with Biomod first or not, but I will say that you should not try to play without the fixer unless you have no other options. There are a multitude of fixes (all included in the fixer) that you would need to track down and install, otherwise you will almost certainly run into issues.

I was just about to make a mirror for it, but then I realized that I don't have the latest version. Would anybody who has version 3 happen to be willing to share?

Lork fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Aug 30, 2011

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

Shoot less. Most enemies will go down with a single headshot. You should have a general ammo profit if you take your time and choose your shots. Remember that JC can't walk and chew gum at the same time: if you're moving while you shoot you won't be able to hit the broad side of an abandoned warehouse. Take advantage of turrets that can be hacked to shoot your enemies, or try luring enemies into friendly soldiers or security bots. You also have a riot prod that will stun enemies while you take them down with your knife or baton, although prod ammo is a little harder to come by than bullets. Prod with the prod. A single tranquilizer shot will also bring down most enemies if you hit them anywhere on the body. Hit them in the arm, hide, wait for them to forget you exist and fall down. A nonlethal takedown is always the most silent takedown.

Around the midgame, I was always really short of tranq darts, no matter how careful I was although this was probably because I relied on it a lot, and avoided getting in close where possible. That strength aug+moving silently and the baton worked well together though, when I was out of darts.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

ToxicFrog posted:

This is terrible advice. It's not like people are recommending the Nameless Mod; I'd consider Biomod practically a necessity, even for a first playthrough. It does for aug management what the DX10 renderer does for screen resolution, except that the renderer only makes it look better, while Biomod makes it much more fun by removing the game's single worst and most pervasive source of annoyance and fixing a laundry list of bugs.

It completely rebalances the game, and the game is perfectly good as it is. Let people make up their own mind.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
Play vanilla first, then see if you want to mod it after. Shifter is a good stepping stone to Biomod, although I would still recommend just sticking with Shifter.

Stump Truck
Nov 26, 2007
Why? Yes

boof posted:

Once I discovered that, I knocked out Manderley and carried him through the rest of the game. Here he is with me at the end as I go to merge with Helios to make the ultimate JC + Helios + Manderley AI.

Is there a console command to wake up an unconscious person? I want to bring Louis pan all the way to the end of the game and wake him up in the reactor room with the greys.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
So I started an IW game and I'm having some issues (Besides it being loving weird as hell). Whenever I get past character creation, my game seems to crash to black. I kill the process and start googling answers, and all the sudden about five minutes later the game (which has been killed, along with ion.exe or whatever) comes back from the dead and loads the next part. Anyone know what's up? I've already set affinities, XP compatibility, and disabled advanced desktop features.

I'm actually really interested in trying it but I guess I'll just do a Biomod playthrough of the first if I can't get this to work.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Golashes posted:

So I started an IW game and I'm having some issues (Besides it being loving weird as hell). Whenever I get past character creation, my game seems to crash to black. I kill the process and start googling answers, and all the sudden about five minutes later the game (which has been killed, along with ion.exe or whatever) comes back from the dead and loads the next part. Anyone know what's up? I've already set affinities, XP compatibility, and disabled advanced desktop features.

IW has a wacky hosed-up engine that kills the process and then restarts it every time it loads a new level, so that's actually working as "intended." The delay is kind of weird, though.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

3 posted:

IW has a wacky hosed-up engine that kills the process and then restarts it every time it loads a new level, so that's actually working as "intended." The delay is kind of weird, though.

:stare: what the gently caress. How long should I be waiting for it to load!?

e: gently caress this poo poo. Unless there's a solid fix it's biomod time. One day I'll get an xbox and try it on there I guess.

Golashes fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Aug 31, 2011

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The IW/T3 engine is totally hosed due to team drama and I have never got it to run well, even on modern PCs.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Around the midgame, I was always really short of tranq darts, no matter how careful I was although this was probably because I relied on it a lot, and avoided getting in close where possible. That strength aug+moving silently and the baton worked well together though, when I was out of darts.

Yeah, my one complaint with the original Deus Ex is that they make it really hard to go nonlethal. The lack of darts & stun rod charges, the way darts take a full 30 seconds to knock a dude out, and the fact that batoning a dude's head almost never knocks him out on the first hit makes it really challenging.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

Polo-Rican posted:

Yeah, my one complaint with the original Deus Ex is that they make it really hard to go nonlethal. The lack of darts & stun rod charges, the way darts take a full 30 seconds to knock a dude out, and the fact that batoning a dude's head almost never knocks him out on the first hit makes it really challenging.

If you can reliably hit the one-shot knockout with the stun baton, then you can usually keep a nonlethal run going for quite a while, and mixing it up with a one-two punch of pepper spray and strength-enhanced clubbing can keep your hands bloodless through the endgame. Shifter's unique baton helps with the latter tactic significantly.

Tranq darts are pretty useless, though.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

Polo-Rican posted:

The baton and the prod are somewhat counter-intuitive to use. Surprisingly, the best area to hit an opponent is not their head but their back. Maybe there is some crazy pressure point magic behind it, but at least for me it was quite confusing before I figured it out.

J
Jun 10, 2001

I found the most consistent way to get the 1 hit KO with the baton was to crouch, walk up really close to the target, and then aim above their head. I don't know where this actually ended up hitting, but I found aiming for anywhere else had a much lower success rate.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Male Man posted:

Tranq darts are pretty useless, though.

Are you kidding? Tranq darts are fantastic and were my weapon of choice for much of my first playthrough. Yeah, they take a while to drop someone, but if you get a headshot it's rarely more than 5-10 seconds, and the ability to take someone out nonlethally at range more than makes up for it. Tag a few people, hide until they keel over, go through their pockets for spare change.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Why do people want to do non-lethal runs anyway? After Hell's Kitchen there's really no change in how people react to it.

Unless you're doing it for challenge, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Anyway FINALLY beat this game after a lot of false starts over the years. Great stuff. My only complaints are that your only meaningful choices are the last 10 minutes of the game (which a lot of rpgs can take blame for admittedly) and after Hong Kong how obvious it was the team ran out of time. Paris was a really bland map and after that is just really brief corridor shooter segments.

All in all a lot of fun though. I tried to play the game as a pacifist hippie but somehow kept missing out on the good augments for that so when I got bullet immunity and health regen I just made sure to leave no survivors instead. I was annoyed at how you had to find augments instead of having the option to adjust to your play style, but I guess in the long term it just makes you do the opposite, adjust your play style to the augments you have.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Has anybody ever done an "only walking backwards" run, Where you unbind all the moving forward keys?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

RagnarokAngel posted:

Why do people want to do non-lethal runs anyway? After Hell's Kitchen there's really no change in how people react to it.

I try to use non-lethal force against everyone except MJ12. gently caress those guys. I feel bad using lethal force against the NSF or UNATCO unless I really have to.

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!

Ben Soosneb posted:

Has anybody ever done an "only walking backwards" run, Where you unbind all the moving forward keys?

The coolest one I heard about was a Zoolander run, where you can only turn right the entire game.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I try to use non-lethal force against everyone except MJ12. gently caress those guys. I feel bad using lethal force against the NSF or UNATCO unless I really have to.

Hey I got no less than 3 high level UNATCO guys to bail. It's the foot soldiers fault for not getting out when the going was good :colbert:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

RagnarokAngel posted:

Unless you're doing it for challenge, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Yeah, I've done one full nonlethal run just for the challenge, but I usually find that my "nonlethal" runs turn into "I use nonlethal options against the NSF and that front desk UNATCO guy but Dragon Sword everyone and everything else."

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Smol posted:

The baton and the prod are somewhat counter-intuitive to use. Surprisingly, the best area to hit an opponent is not their head but their back. Maybe there is some crazy pressure point magic behind it, but at least for me it was quite confusing before I figured it out.

It always seemed like the best hit locations were groin and head, but you could hit either from in front or behind. When you're sneaking with crawl, though, that usually ends up meaning you taser the crotch from behind for best results.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Ever met the woman who tells you about her son, the MJ12 Commando? :smith:

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

and that front desk UNATCO guy but

Private Lloyd!

(he's my favourite)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Ben Soosneb posted:

Private Lloyd!

(he's my favourite)

Yeah, the one time I gunned down Private Lloyd I felt so bad afterwards that I reloaded and knocked him out.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It always seemed like the best hit locations were groin and head, but you could hit either from in front or behind. When you're sneaking with crawl, though, that usually ends up meaning you taser the crotch from behind for best results.
Sorry but no, the back is indeed the best place to use the prod/baton. It straight up does more damage with any melee weapon (maybe just nonlethal melee weapons) if you tap them in the back. I don't really get it either. I usually crawl right up to an enemy and stand up briefly to prod them. Sometimes I shift-walk if he doesn't stop moving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
I just tapped on Combat Strength and batonned them in the back of the head. Worked 100% of the time.