Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

okand posted:

You guys know that EU3 stretches the flags out into a rectangle right?? And that they have to be .tga files

No, EU3 flags are 64x64. and there will be no lost quality when we convert them to TGA. They're only in pngs so you can all see them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Frionnel posted:

No, EU3 flags are 64x64.

Not in Divine Wind, unless Wiz is changing them back to the old version. They're now standard flag proportions.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's a lot of fluffy nonsense surrounding flags that has almost nothing to do with what's happening at ground level. It only stands to reason that flagchat must be filled with the same sort of idle prattle. I'd stay away from the SPQR on the basis of aesthetics though. Letters don't look good on a flag, and they wouldn't be legible most of the time anyways.

I had no idea that Sardinia's flag had heads on it until it was pointed out. I thought it was the same as Mantua's flag, which I thought was the same as Great Britain's flag.

Kanthulhu posted:

Rome is the Light: Azerbaijan Paradox Mega-LP

This talk about Europe pre-11th century Europe makes me wonder why Paradox hasn't made a game that lets you play as Charlemagne yet.

They're called the dark ages for a reason.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Aug 30, 2011

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

Tomn posted:

All this flagchat is starting to give me an idea of what Crete must have looked like for a newcomer or outsider in general, albeit far less vitriolic.

We can make it more vitriolic by having a vote about the inclusion of the Roman symbol on the Italian flag, and a three way debate between Gorgo, Saurus and Leperflesh on the inclusion of the Aragon coat of arms on the England flag issue.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)

SlothfulCobra posted:

They're called the dark ages for a reason.

They are called the Dark Ages because Paradox hasn't made a game about that age yet? Neat.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Magrov posted:

We can make it more vitriolic by having a vote about the inclusion of the Roman symbol on the Italian flag, and a three way debate between Gorgo, Saurus and Leperflesh on the inclusion of the Aragon coat of arms on the England flag issue.
SPQR could be this thread's owl.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

ibntumart posted:

in 17th century Ottoman Empire, a group of Messianic Jews pretended to be Muslims (the Donmeh).

They weren't really pretending to be Muslims, though, they were serious about it. The Donmeh were the people that took Sabbatei Zevi's conversion to Islam seriously and were just following their Lord's instructions (as opposed to the majority of the Sabbateans who saw his conversion and went "gently caress that guy").

Also, is that flag from Cretethread where the Owl is rendered with big gaping void eyes on a blood-red background still around? That was the most hideous product of flagchat in any Paradox thread on these boards.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
I'm really not seeing the vitriol in this thread. It's just a pretty civil discussion?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

John Charity Spring posted:

I'm really not seeing the vitriol in this thread. It's just a pretty civil discussion?

The arguments in the Crete thread turned a neat idea god awful, so I think people are just wary of the same people potentially getting way bent out of shape over some flags.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

John Charity Spring posted:

Yeah, that's what I said. Flagchat seems to offer a pretty good idea of what Crete was like for the outsider (i.e. long and impenetrable discussions if you don't have a decent grasp on the subject matter) minus the screaming at each other.

Just to be clear here by the way, I don't wanna get anyone who's actually interested in flagchat down - continue by all means, we don't have anything else to talk about right now after all. I just thought it was kinda funny to be on the other side of tl;dr for once.

P.S. Old flag best flag. Which flag? ALL flag.

GODDAMNIT PATTERSONG
vvvv

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Bring back memories? Let's get this in as Rhodes' flag.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Bring back memories? Let's get this in as Rhodes' flag.

Who did that, anyway? It's a bad choice for a country's flag, but drat if a loving DEMONIC OWL wouldn't strike fear into your enemies as a battle standard.

EDIT: I just realized what this reminded me of- it's the Great Owl from The Secret of Nimh.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 30, 2011

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Patter Song posted:

They weren't really pretending to be Muslims, though, they were serious about it. The Donmeh were the people that took Sabbatei Zevi's conversion to Islam seriously and were just following their Lord's instructions (as opposed to the majority of the Sabbateans who saw his conversion and went "gently caress that guy").

Sure, they converted openly, but they still secretly kept a number of Jewish practices and prayed in Hebrew and Ladino. Granted, given they were a weird sect of Messianic Jews to begin with, their particular rites can diverge quite a bit from mainstream Judaism, but e.g., reading the Psalms in secret every day or studying the Zohar to me at least put them in the crypto-Jewish camp.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.

Kavak posted:

Not in Divine Wind, unless Wiz is changing them back to the old version. They're now standard flag proportions.

Uh, no, the .tga file must be 64x64. I already did a bunch of flags for a DW multiplayer game.

Also: NO OWLS!

VVVV The flags need to be made for 64x64, tough, and the change in game is so small you won't even notice.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Aug 30, 2011

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Frionnel posted:

Uh, no, the .tga file must be 64x64. I already did a bunch of flags for a DW multiplayer game.

Also: NO OWLS!

Oh, the files, yeah, I was thinking of the flags in-game.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Kavak posted:

Who did that, anyway? It's a bad choice for a country's flag, but drat if a loving DEMONIC OWL wouldn't strike fear into your enemies as a battle standard.

I can't remember who made it, but it was from the Crete thread. I think there was discussion over whether or not we should switch to a new flag after, if memory serves, a revolution started on the Greek mainland (Athens in particular) overthrew the current Cretan-focused government. People were suggesting that we keep the bull for Cretan tradition and add in an owl to represent Athena, demonstrating the Grecian mainland's new importance to "Crete" or something like that.

Only for some reason whoever did the flag had to go and pick out the absolute creepiest owl possible and throw on a red background to represent the blood of The People in Revolution or some other such drat thing.

Thank God it didn't go through.

GODDAMNIT FRANKENFREAK
vvvv

Tomn fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 30, 2011

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Kavak posted:

Bobbin Threadbare did it, although I prefer Eiba's take on it:

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
What culture group are we going to be?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

frankenfreak posted:

Bobbin Threadbare did it, although I prefer Eiba's take on it:

In all seriousness, we do have a Rhodes in game, and we can't use the default Knights Hospitaller flag for them. Why not use creepy owl eyes flag for Rhodes?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

theblastizard posted:

What culture group are we going to be?
In vanilla I think there's a Turko-Semitic group. I suppose one could also fit in whatever the same group is as the Persians, but that's not really accurate.

Garenas
Sep 12, 2006

Nice Joystick
People are complaining about inheriting the Roman Empire being a cliche in alternate histories, but it's a cliche in alternate histories because it happened all the goddamn time in real history. And as has been pointed out, many of the flags of said inheritors were based, at least loosely, off the the Roman heraldry, whether or not they even held lands relevant to the Roman Empire. I said it before, and so have several other people, but just because you don't hold a particular piece of land (in this case, the city of Rome,) doesn't mean that you don't lay claim to it.

Including some sort of Roman influence on Italy's flag would be especially appropriate because they not only hold the greatest number of 'core' classical Roman provinces of any nation, they also have the most significant claim to the city itself. Some Roman Empire inheritors may not include direct Roman heraldry in their flags, but I feel that this one would, considering their most immediate aspirations. Whether it be the SPQR that the city has used at many points (including 1400) as a part of its heraldry or something like the Chi Rho that Christian Rome used, I think it would be an appropriate political statement to include it.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009

Nakar posted:

In vanilla I think there's a Turko-Semitic group. I suppose one could also fit in whatever the same group is as the Persians, but that's not really accurate.

Originally Turkish was in the Altaic Group but Paradox stuck it in the Semetic group to encourage Ottoman players to expand into Arabia like it did historically.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Soiled Meat

Garenas posted:

Including some sort of Roman influence on Italy's flag would be especially appropriate because they not only hold the greatest number of 'core' classical Roman provinces of any nation, they also have the most significant claim to the city itself.

I would say the proximity to the city of Rome is largely irrelevant - even Rome's significance within the Empire wasn't all that great during the final period of the West. Also, there would be no actual direct continuity with the original Roman Empire.

Garenas
Sep 12, 2006

Nice Joystick

steinrokkan posted:

I would say the proximity to the city of Rome is largely irrelevant - even Rome's significance within the Empire wasn't all that great during the final period of the West. Also, there would be no actual direct continuity with the original Roman Empire.

My point was more that the city of Rome's flag was red with a giant gold "SPQR" on it and the king of Italy said that he intended to take Rome and make it his capital because he was so close to it and it would be an appropriate symbolic entity in the empire.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.
I thought this might be a good flag for Egypt:

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
More Flags:

So I did a few more flags for either Egypt or Syria that incorporated the Azeri Flame. These could also be used later for Victoria as alternate Azerbaijani flags who knows.

or

or

or

or

edit: Also here are flags for Malacca and Aceh seeing as they can't use the Star and Crescent and that would be ahistorical anyways:
Malacca:

Aceh:

Proposition Joe fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Aug 31, 2011

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Icecream Jones posted:

What's the text mean?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Soiled Meat

Proposition Joe posted:

More Flags:

So I did a few more flags for either Egypt or Syria that incorporated the Azeri Flame.

Really like these, especially the second one - I could see a Muslim state using it.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010

Icecream Jones posted:

Is this a joke?

Even if it isn't, it would look kinda silly. "Al-Jazeera" literally means "the Island."

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
That is the Al Jazeera logo. It says, "Al Jazeera".

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal

Patter Song posted:

In all seriousness, we do have a Rhodes in game, and we can't use the default Knights Hospitaller flag for them. Why not use creepy owl eyes flag for Rhodes?

Because the owl, and that owl in particular is a symbol of Athens.

THE LESBIATHAN
Jan 22, 2011

The name Daria was already taken.

Viola the Mad posted:

Is this a joke?

Even if it isn't, it would look kinda silly. "Al-Jazeera" literally means "the Island."

It's suppose to be the Azerbaijan flame and its suppose to look pretty.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Viola the Mad posted:

Is this a joke?

It could be good for an Islamic Australia in Vicky.

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
This whole flag thing would be alot easier if we had someone who could do Islamic caligraphy.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011
The fate of the Azerbaijani government come Vicky is clearly Anarcha-feminism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarchofeminism

We must rise up against the yoke of male oppression!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

theblastizard posted:

This whole flag thing would be alot easier if we had someone who could do Islamic caligraphy.

I'll give it a go when I get home from work, but I will warn y'all that my comfort zone is squarely within the mainstream Nashki script. Still, the letters for Misr (Arabic for Egypt) do seem like they'd bend and flow into a flame well.

MadPierrot
Nov 4, 2009

we are all dead men on leave

Garenas posted:

People are complaining about inheriting the Roman Empire being a cliche in alternate histories, but it's a cliche in alternate histories because it happened all the goddamn time in real history
yeah i think you're underestimating the fact that the flag of Rome is also UGLY. I incorporated it in the first draft of my Italy flag and promptly dropped it because not a single person liked it.

here's the flag of italy I made, once again, so people can come out and tell me if they think it's terrible. It's the Hauteville arms of Naples and Sicily. Everything else either was endlessly debated over what should/shouldn't be included in quarters or just ended up looking too busy, or poor shrunken down. This one both makes sense and is easy on the eyes.

Proposition Joe posted:

More Flags:

They're all great but this one is awesome.

edit: Good goddamn Prop Joe those Southeast Asian flags kick rear end.

MadPierrot fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Aug 31, 2011

theblastizard
Nov 5, 2009
I think a Red and Gold eagle would work for the Roman part of an Italian flag. SPQR does kind of seem out of place.

Garenas
Sep 12, 2006

Nice Joystick

MadPierrot posted:

yeah i think you're underestimating the fact that the flag of Rome is also UGLY. I incorporated it in the first draft of my Italy flag and promptly dropped it because not a single person liked it.

here's the flag of italy I made, once again, so people can come out and tell me if they think it's terrible. It's the Hauteville arms of Naples and Sicily. Everything else either was endlessly debated over what should/shouldn't be included in quarters or just ended up looking too busy, or poor shrunken down. This one both makes sense and is easy on the eyes.

I liked it :(

But yeah, the SPQR in a quartered design is too small to say the least. I didn't say that had to be included, just some sort of Roman influence, considering all the favorable circumstances for such a thing.

That's a very nice flag, but I don't think it really strikes the "Emperor" chord. Including an eagle in some part of it would be really helpful. I'd say the first/fourth quadrant would be most appropriate because Emperor of Rome is pretty much the most prestigious title there is, but depending on the centralization/focus on the dynasty, the second quadrant could work as well.

I feel we shouldn't neglect the option of including the vertical green/white/red striped motif that was either part of or entirely the flag of the United Provinces of Central Italy, the Kingdom of Sardinia, and the Kingdom of Italy. Perhaps someone could try out a non-quadrant-based flag as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Soiled Meat

MadPierrot posted:

I think your flag is really nice and pretty and fits the universe we got right now. The only problem is that its ahistorical nature lets people to sperge about alternatives they find to be more faithful to the non-existant historical reality of the LP.

• Locked thread